• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best Gen I Pokemon

My favourites would have to be Pidgeot, Clefable, Vileplume, Dragonite, Golem and Raichu. ^__^
Least favs are Jynx, Venusaur (so much potential in Bulbasaur though <3), Gyarados, Alakazam and uh.. Seaking.

There's a bit of a change of plan now. I'll attempt to rank all of them now with the votes we have, but there are some tiebreakers.

For now all people have to do is rank the members of three following groups in order of personal preference so I can sort out the overall order of them easier.

Group 1: Venusaur, Charizard, Raichu, Ninetales, Arcanine, Vaporeon, Zapdos, Dragonite
Group 2: Gengar, Nidoking
Group 3: Rapidash, Porygon

Raichu to me, but to be honest, I am not the biggest fan of Generation I Pokémon.

Last edited:
To be honest, Mewtwo. Some say he's overrated, but he's nothing but a force of destruction and hatred. He was also the first Pokémon to have any significant lore associated with him. His design and power have filled people with awe for a long time, and it isn't hard to see why.

Zapdos takes it for me. Such power. The Growlithe-Arcanine line is also a favourite of mine.

Favorites: Charizard, Pikachu, Mew, Mewtwo, Aerodactyl
Least favorites: Magnezone, Muk, Clefable, Mr. Mime, Hypno

All time favorites are Charizard (yes, he's overhyped and it can get annoying when praised to hell and back by his loudest fanboys/girls, but I still love him regardless), Persian, Growlithe, Arcanine, Electabuzz (my favorite above all), and Lapras. I am also quite fond of the Eeveelutions and Eevee herself.

I really dislike Jynx, Tangela, Muk, and Weezing. Mr. Mime is probably the only humanoid I can tolerate because he is just dumb enough to make me laugh. He isn't scary. Just stupid, but a charming stupid.

Favorite: Metapod, Kakuna, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Sandshrew, Sandslash, Oddish, Meowth, Slowpoke, Magnemite, Farfetch'd, Voltorb, Gastly, Haunter, Muk, Exeggcute, Exeggutor, Electabuzz and Porygon. Well, I have lots of favorites :D

Least favorites: I don't really hate gen I pokemon this much, but I dislike Venusaur, Nidorina, Nidorino, Bellsprout, Ponyta, Rapidash and Dragonair

Favorites: Charizard, Venusaur, Jolteon, Arcanine, Dragonite, Kabutops

Least Favorites: Butterfree, Raticate, Mr. Mime, Jynx

I like most of them, honestly.
Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur - my favorite starter, each one of them is cool in their own ways
Charmeleon/Charizard - I would be more inclined to use Charmeleon, but Charizard is fun sometimes
Wartortle/Blastoise - was one of my favorites when I was younger. nostalgia is pretty strong. Blastoise is just ok.
Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree - Love them! I had a brief fanfic in which a trainer carried a Metapod around for 3 regions because he was loyal to it even though it couldn't evolve. and Butterfree is just an overall favorite of the series, I also enjoy using him in competitive battles
Beedrill - one of the main pokemon characters in my current fanfic
Pidgeotto/Pidgeot - one of my favorites from when I was younger, and was heavily used in Silver version
Raticate - one of my main Leafgreen pokemon
Spearow/Fearow - I created an awesome fakemon evolution for Fearow when I was younger, so there's that. And I just like Spearow's design.
Arbok - same as Fearow
Raichu - my favorite pokemon when I was younger, and I had a level 100 one in Sapphire
Sandslash - awesome design, I wish I had used him more
Nidoqueen - pretty neat, I guess. ok overall.
Nidorino/Nidoking - Nidorino has a great design, Nidoking is just ok.
Clefable - Pretty cute, and one of my favorites from the TCG
Ninetales - had a cool fakemon evolution for Ninetales that I loved
Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff - Wigglytuff is an adorable bunny that I'm loving a lot more recently, and Jigglypuff is awesome in SSB series
Zubat/Golbat - more fanfiction characters, they were more prominent when I was younger
Oddish/Gloom/Vileplume - each of them are cool in their own way, similar to Bulbasaur's line in that the first evolution is decent, the middle is cool looking, and the third looks powerful
Paras/Parasect - Paras is one of the pokemon I pity because the fungus kills off its brain. I had one in Leafgreen that I refused to evolve. Parasect has a good design, though, so I don't hate him
Venonat/Venomoth - Venonat is almost as cool as Butterfree, and I enjoy using both of these pokemon competitively
Dugtrio - one of my main Leafgreen pokemon
Persian - had one at level 90-100 that I loved for its design and Pay Day ability
Psyduck/Golduck - a pokemon I enjoyed using in Sapphire and Platinum, he's very consistently reliable
Growlithe - is a good design. such a cute puppy!
Poliwag/Poliwhirl/Poliwrath - this was my favorite evolutionary line for a long time. the nostalgia is strong!
Abra/Kadabra - I like the fox aspects to their design, as well as Abra's whole Teleport aesthetic
Machoke - the best design of its line, I used one in a ROM hack to great success
Bellsprout/Weepinbell/Victreebel - These are all decent. It's a clever idea, too.
Tentacool/Tentacruel - very prominent fanfiction characters. I love them to death!
Graveler/Golem - used a Graveler in Silver, and Golem is fun in the same way Charizard is
Slowbro - Was one of my pokemon in a comic strip I used to have about my brothers and I traveling through Johto
Magnemite/Magneton - Magnemite was one of the first pokemon I knew about, and I will love him forever!
Doduo/Dodrio - one of my main pokemon in Sapphire version. Doduo also has a good design, I think.
Dewgong - pretty adorable, about as much as Wigglytuff.
Shellder - is cute, but that's about it.
Haunter/Gengar - important fanfiction characters, as well as old favorites
Onix - a gigantic rock snake! I love most of the gigantic pokemon, especially Onix because he's a gentle giant
Drowzee/Hypno - I've always liked them, really. Hypnosis is also really fun to write about. Both are favorites from the TCG
Krabby/Kingler - they're ok, sort of like Nidoqueen.
Voltorb/Electrode - also one of the first pokemon I found out about. Nostalgia is not quite as strong as with Magnemite, but I still love him for that reason.
Exeggutor - is a neat idea, that's about it.
Lickitung - he's so cool and cute at the same time! I had a stuffed Lickitung that I loved.
Weezing - TCG favorite with Dark Weezing, and I also liked using him for Cool contests in Sapphire
Tangela - one of my favorites due to its cuteness, grass type, and the fact that it's not totally useless. Gets some great moves like Reflect and Leech Seed
Seadra - cool design, I guess.
Seaking - I really love all the fish pokemon, and Seaking is an important fanfic character
Electabuzz - sort of cool, I guess.
Magmar - nostalgia is strong here, because it was an early TCG card. I also love Magby, so there's that.
Magikarp/Gyarados - See my username for an indication of how much I like Magikarp. Gyarados is also neat competitively.
Ditto - Dit dit! he's another cute normal type like Clefable and Lickitung
Flareon - is fluffy and cute. one of the few fire types I actually like.
Porygon - I guess I just like most normal types
Omanyte/Omastar - Omanyte is cute, and Omastar definitely embodies the idea of a terrifying prehistoric pokemon.
I'll pick overall winners later

It's going to be kind of hard to limit only 5 for each, I'll try - according to my taste in gen 1 Pokemon:
(judging them mostly on it's design - only on the fully evolved Pokemon)

Favorites: Persian (#1 favorite this generation - I love cats), Raticate (I love the early normal types too), Vaporeon (favorite Eeveelution during 1st gen, #2 over all), Flareon (really love it's design), Sandslash ()

Least Favorites: Charizard (along with Pikachu, over popular and don't like the design in general), Dragonite (don't like it's design), Pidgeot, Fearow, Dodrio (for the last 3 - I don't like birds in general)

Favorites: Omastar, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Zubat, Golbat, Ditto, Snorlax, Electrode, Slowbro, Kingler

Least Favorites: Geodude, Graveler, Muk, Gengar, Jynx, Mr. Mime, Kabutops

There are more Pokemon I like from Gen I, and more that I have issues with, but those are the most important to list.

Arcanine has to be my favorite. Badass tigerdog that breathes fire. It served me well in all my playthroughs.

Favs:
Arcanine, Ninetales, Gengar, Rapidash, Alakazam

Least Favs:
Pikachu, Gyarados, Exeggutor, Poliwrath, Raticate, Muk

Favorites: Blastoise, Vaporeon, Flareon, Arcanine, Golduck, Jolteon, Charizard, Raichu (Just love the designs in general)

Least favorite: Weezing, Shellder, Cloyster, Tangela, Pinsir (Probably the ugliest gen 1 Pokémon for me)

Favorites- Venusaur, Nidoking, Golduck, Magmar, and Electabuzz

Least Favorites- Charizard, Parasect, Dugtrio, Muk, and Gyarados.....I apologize to everyone that reads this and hates me after I give my honest answer... xD

Favorites: Charizard, Gyarados, Snorlax, Nidoking and Venusaur

Least favorites: Jynx, Mr.Mime, Hypno, Farfetch'd and Raticate.

Hmm, for me it would have to be:
1) Charizard, I've always had a soft sport for fire types and he was my first one.
2) Gyarados, because the work involved in getting a Magikarp to level 20 before fighting Misty, is so satisfying.
3) Snorlax, a massive power house and an absolute beast of a tank.
4) Gengar, mostly because he's the original ghost and I love the massive grin.
5) Alakazam, difficult to capture an Abra early on but frighteningly powerful if trained right.

Least favourites would be:
1) Electrode (and any others that self-destruct), for each and every time they use Self-Destruct or Explosion when trying to catch them.
2) Farfetch'd, for as rare as it was, it didn't even do anything.
3) Porygon, because getting it involved either insane luck, or a really long time hammering the A button to buy coins.
4) Chansey, the amount of times I searched for hours in the Safari Zone and found one, only for it to flee nearly drove me mad.
5) Golbat, like Zubat, only worse.

Fav: Blastoise, Pidgeot, Raichu, Vileplume

Least Fav: Porygon. I spent hours trying to get that thing from the game corner and it wasn't any better than I expected.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom