• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol.5

gary is awesome. i have such a soft spot for lovable jerks.
i guess carmine is the newest person who could qualify as a "mean rival," but she's a dlc character and she kinda starts to come around at the end. (which it needs to be said i didn't really expect, but i didn't think she would be so temperamental either. i totally thought she was gonna be an "ice queen" type of girl. i got kieran 100% correct though. the trailer gave away that he was gonna be the gentle shy one, but it ALSO hinted that he was going to have an overcompetitive dark side when they zoomed in on that shot of him clenching his fists after he lost to the player.)
other than that, bede i guess, but he's not the main rival. also klara and avery, but once again, they're dlc.
silver is my favorite character in the series. yes, his behavior is terrible initially, but it was kinda due to his upbringing. he slowly comes around and realizes his mistakes and grows as a person, and he doesn't become friendly really, but he comes to appreciate the mc in his own way, i would say.
(though i do feel that he respects them as a person even before the ending. the radio tower scene in hgss proves it imo, he does not respect team rocket and that's why he was angry at the idea of the player, someone he may not like but respects as a trainer and rival, joining them.)
ehh anyway. i love me some mean rivals but there are some good nice ones too, i think. i like nemona and barry (well... i guess the latter has his moments, but i'd say he's nice in general...?) for sure at the very least. (honestly i love the whole sv friend group.)

i don't really care for "mean" rivals. is that an unpopular opinion?

i'm also not saying i'm fond of overly friendly rivals, either. i think barry is a really good middle ground rival in which he isn't that overly friendly, but he inspires good competition in that he genuinely believes he's better than you and will do everything he can to surpass you. i think a good rivalry is motivating each other to one-up the other person and i think that's why he's one of my favourite rivals.

i guess theres at least one thing to like about every rival tbh, even if not necessarily as a rival then as a character
although some were better written or implemented than others imo
silver is my fav bc his story is extremely important to me for personal reasons
but i could understand why any rival would be someones favorite

I thought bede was a cool mean rival. I mean I thought he was a girl at first until Opal took him in. But he has a funny hateful attitude but sometimes opens up when you defeat him
Bede exhibits parentless behaviour much like Silver, and both have redemption arcs. Hop tries to be friendly but is very bad at hiding his resentment towards the player. I want a game with no rival. Being from the same hometown doesn't mean you must be friends.

Last edited:
Forget the previous rivals from the Pokémon series, Kieran is, at least for me, the epitome of a rival character in this franchise. The way his friendship and rivalry with the player are intertwined is truly remarkable and brings about incredible personal development for his character.

------------------------------------------------------- Spoiler Alert ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At first, Kieran is depicted as a quiet, lonely, and insecure individual, often relying on his older sister for support. However, as fate brings the player character and Kieran together in a shared Journey, they gradually recognize each other's qualities and forge a genuine friendship. Despite this, when our character, leaving aside its most recent friend, delves deeper into the legend of Kitakami and the boundaries between myth and truth begin to blur, Kieran's realization that his idolized Pokémon, Ogerpon, favors the protagonist sparks, in him, an inevitably rivalry.

The beauty lies in how Kieran's character development occurs through the delicate interplay of friendship and rivalry. It highlights the complexities of human relationships and the transformative power they possess. Kieran's growth from a timid and uncertain individual to someone who embraces challenges and confronts his own limitations is truly inspiring.

In conclusion, Kieran's character is a shining example of how friendship and rivalry can be expertly aligned to bring about significant character development. The way these elements blends throughout the story is truly beautiful and adds depth to the Pokémon franchise.

Last edited:
Forget the previous rivals from the Pokémon series, Kieran is, at least for me, the epitome of a rival character in this franchise. The way his friendship and rivalry with the player are intertwined is truly remarkable and brings about incredible personal development for his character.

------------------------------------------------------- Spoiler Alert ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At first, Kieran is depicted as a quiet, lonely, and insecure individual, often relying on his older sister for support. However, as fate brings the player character and Kieran together in a shared Journey, they gradually recognize each other's qualities and forge a genuine friendship. Despite this, when our character, leaving aside its most recent friend, delves deeper into the legend of Kitakami and the boundaries between myth and truth begin to blur, Kieran's realization that his idolized Pokémon, Ogerpon, favors the protagonist sparks, in him, an inevitably rivalry.

The beauty lies in how Kieran's character development occurs through the delicate interplay of friendship and rivalry. It highlights the complexities of human relationships and the transformative power they possess. Kieran's growth from a timid and uncertain individual to someone who embraces challenges and confronts his own limitations is truly inspiring.

In conclusion, Kieran's character is a shining example of how friendship and rivalry can be expertly aligned to bring about significant character development. The way these elements blends throughout the story is truly beautiful and adds depth to the Pokémon franchise.
Kieran is a shining example of a person I’d tease for fun.

Kieran is a shining example of a person I’d tease for fun.

Hey, your name is Carmine? Just be careful not to harm yourself and hurt the others. I know that, like the Blueberry Academy student, you are, deep down, a kind person who just doesn't know how to express yourself.

Bede exhibits parentless behaviour much like Silver, and both have redemption arcs. Hop tries to be friendly but is very bad at hiding his resentment towards the player. I want a game with no rival. Being from the same hometown doesn't mean you must be friends.
the hoenn games basically had no rival for the last third of the game. I agree though; it would be interesting to see a game where we have no rivals at all.

Hey, your name is Carmine? Just be careful not to harm yourself and hurt the others. I know that, like the Blueberry Academy student, you are, deep down, a kind person who just doesn't know how to express yourself.
I should change my name to Carmine. She is literally me after all.

man, more people really need to play Pokemon Colosseum/Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness. it also makes me wish, once more, that more spinoff games in the future would be released in the style/direction of those games.

if you want a no-rival pokemon game you'd do well to explore colo/XD and see what those are like.

i know those are gamecube only games, but i'm sure you can find alternative means if you feel so inclined.

I mean what I said. Carmine is the Pokemon universe equivalent of myself.

EDIT: Thanks to the brilliant coding in BDSP, I am now one short of completing my national pokedex due to Spinda. I have two sitting in Pokemon Home and I can't transfer them to Shining Pearl.

Now we wait for an outbreak.

Last edited:
Hey! I’m not sure where to put this, but would you guys rather people tell you thing on your profile or in your dms, cause sometimes I just wanna ask someone something or maybe just generally tell them they’re a great person, wondering where you would rather people do this
DMs, complimenting someone where everyone can see comes off as performative. If someone wanted to compliment a coworker would they give them a card or blurt it out in front of everyone?

Back
Top Bottom