• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Fanfiction Awards - General Discussion

No what he's saying is that when a fic wins in one of the quarterly awards they're eligible for the big awards but not for the other seasonal it doesn't' mean they're barred since they can compete in the big awards.

Exactly, plus, if at the end of the year, the fic is still incomplete, even if it's one chapter before completion, it'd still be available for the following year.

I would also save the Best story and Best character solely for the big yearly awards.

So the big awards at the end of the year or whatever...ONLY seasonal winners would be eligible?

That would be up for debate and both options are fine with me.

Obviously, you guys with fics in the running have a personal interest in wanting previous winners banned.

Ok, for the record, I'm not writing fics to have a banner in my sig. If that's why you're writing, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

It's a shame too, this awards thing could have been really great.

Again, great for what? What's the purpose of these awards? to just give an award to the person who sends the most VM to people asking them to read their fic conveniently right before award season? To the person who can socialize the most?

I'd like to think those awards could be great too, great in that they allow more and more readers/reviewers/writers to express themselves, get their work known and great in that they truly allow the writers to win purely on their talent. You're a good writer and you'd still have more than a good chance to win.

it's the fact that you are the one spearheading the movement to change everything while you have a fics in the running.

I'm the one who raised the question of the purpose of the awards and whether or not the current formula allowed for that purpose to be fulfilled. So yeah... not sure why you're targeting Jabberwocky here.

Legacy, I understand your reservations about this new idea, and why you're upset about it. But the fact is, at the end of the year, TPI will be eligible for the most valuable award on Bulbagarden if this goes through. It will also simultaneously help even out some of the attention fics are getting so people will stop complaining about it being a popularity contest. Isn't that what we all want? I really think this will be worth it in the long run, because fresh blood will be pumping through the system and will have a chance to compete with the older, more dominant fics on this site, and will make it at least appear to be more fair, as well as creating a bit more competition within the workshop itself. You yourself have said that you'd rather be recognized for your talent rather than your popularity.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I would say, for the large awards, that only seasonal nominees should be allowed, if you're putting a restriction on them at all. Certainly not only the winners.

If people keep saying stuff about a neutral authority, I offer myself for that: keep my fics out of the competition, if you so like, I don't mind at all. Because, seriously, I want this to be solved ("at any cost," you could say) so the majority is at least OK with it, and just an occasional "I like your fic" makes me happy enough anyways.

...on to another point:

If I'm interpreting the new idea right, it's having the winners of seasonal awards be ineligible for other seasonal awards, but not so for the final big awards of the year? Sounds good enough.

If people keep saying stuff about a neutral authority, I offer myself for that: keep my fics out of the competition, if you so like, I don't mind at all. Because, seriously, I want this to be solved ("at any cost," you could say) so the majority is at least OK with it, and just an occasional "I like your fic" makes me happy enough anyways.

I could do it too, but one, I'm not a mod, and two, I don't want people to forget about Generation 2021 by taking it out of running >_<

Although really, I was only happy to see my fics in the awards because they'd get more exposure. I don't really care too much about the awards themselves. So perhaps the second reason isn't as valid.

(But really, I don't think my ratings would jive with others very well either. The highest rating I've given out so far is 83/100. That's not exactly exorbitant >_>)

Sorry for the outburst. This does sound like a fair idea. I haven't had the greatest week (older sister's husband passed away on Wednesday), so needless to say this week has sucked. I shouldn't have brought that issue here by flying off the handle like that.

It's not an excuse though. I just got a little defensive when people like Gible or Jabberwocky insinuate that I only write for the banners and I only get people to vote for me because of VMing them or that my awards were some sort of mistake based on flaws in the rules. There's no sense in really getting upset at someone like that because they don't know me and are basically just talking out of their you-know-where. As long as my fic has been going, I've only VMed a handful of people to ask for them to read it. I get asked to read other people's fics every day.

I work really hard on my fic, and that's why I got a little crabby at people telling me that I only see success because of "popularity" and not writing skill. I know I'm not at the level of GaMa or the other great writers here, but yea... I guess it still hurt my feelings a bit. But Gible's right... the goal of this place should be to help everyone improve as writers. I guess I forgot.

Anyways, I am on board with the idea. Remembering how hard I work on my fic, I realize that everyone here does. So yeah, sorry for being selfish and all that. Just an overly-prideful moment on my part.

Once again, I apologize.

I know I'm not at the level of GaMa or the other great writers here

Watchu talkin' bout, Willis?

Anyway, I understand, personally. We all have bad weeks and we all have good weeks.

I work really hard on my fic, and that's why I got a little crabby at people telling me that I only see success because of "popularity" and not writing skill. I know I'm not at the level of GaMa or the other great writers here, but yea... I guess it still hurt my feelings a bit. But Gible's right... the goal of this place should be to help everyone improve as writers. I guess I forgot.

Aw, don't worry about that *hugs*

Also, you're not at the level of GaMa? That's like saying that I give 90/100 to every fic that I rate. Not gonna happen ^_^

I haven't had the greatest week

I'm truly sorry to hear that.

There's no sense in really getting upset at someone like that because they don't know me and are basically just talking out of their you-know-where.

That's fine but at the same time, weren't you doing the exact same thing by accusing Jabberwocky, the rest of the mods in this forum and myself of trying to derail the rules simply to win awards...

When I proposed my idea, I explained the reasoning behind and made it specifically to make sure not to put at a disadvantage newcomers or established writers and to allow still ongoing fic to compete.

I work really hard on my fic, and that's why I got a little crabby at people telling me that I only see success because of "popularity" and not writing skill.

I never said you only got awards because of popularity, nor did I ever put into question your writing skills. I reviewed your fic myself and gave it a more than positive review. In my mind, with the idea I've proposed, you'd definitely win a seasonal awards and be the overwhelming favourite to win the yearly award.

That being said, I still stand by my opinion that in the current system, writing skill is one of but not the only factor that make a writer win over others.

But Gible's right... the goal of this place should be to help everyone improve as writers. I guess I forgot.

The awards should have that principle as one of its components in my opinion, but should also aim to reward talent. A hybrid system like I've suggested doesn't exclude one or the other.

Remembering how hard I work on my fic, I realize that everyone here does. So yeah, sorry for being selfish and all that. Just an overly-prideful moment on my part.

Once again, I apologize.

My word is not law and you're free to challenge it. Debate and discussion is the very purpose of this thread. I do think you could have handled it better, but I hold no grudge against you.

If I've offended you I'm sorry too.

I like the idea so far- the seasonal winners being the one allowed to compete in the big awards that is.

And if Kayi's ready to make such a sacrifice... wow.

That's all you like of the new idea?

Come on, Aladar, don't exaggerate. It's not as if I was giving out a limb or worse :ksmile:

...right? :dead:

I like it as a whole, I was just pointing out a certain part of it.

And for me, 'tis a great sacrifice you speak of.

I haven't read all of the posts quite yet as I've had a lot to catch up on (had a busy weekend)

All I'm going to say is this: It's sad that we are still talking about barring people from the Awards for previous success. Sad and pathetic. I thought this idea had been put to rest. I know it's not the same as last time you talked about it but it still boils down to barring people because they're too good.

Please don't say "WAH WAH WAH, you're just saying that because you want to qualify for next round!!!!11" Rival's Story is over, Are We Heroes is over, everything else I've written is a one shot, so this time round, this rule does not apply to me.

You may or may not know that I'm planning a fic called Dragon Days, which is Lance's story. You may or may not know that in the first awards, Legacy beat me to Best Fic and is set to do so again in these awards. I want DD to do what Rival's Story could never do - beat TPI.

I think this Overall Awards bullshit is just an attempt to make taking people out a little more acceptable. The only real reason for barring people from any awards at all is to give people who aren't (yet) capable of winning awards undeserved awards.

The only reason for fics being ineligible should be if they were not current in the time period dictated by that set of awards. The 'big' awards will still be big simply because they will encompass a greater time period.

And, for the record, I don't think I should've won any awards for Roots - it should not have been eligible for nominations and neither should Kisses by Kayi Rowling have been.

Now, everyone can start calling me a whiny little bitch and trying to explain why it's only fair that the best people shouldn't be allowed to participate. I don't care that this post probably won't change anything but I think you should all know that, without exception, if you honestly believe that people should be banned for their previous success then I have a very, very low opinion of you.

EDIT: I've read everything now and I'd just like to say that I apologise if you feel this is targeted at you if you're just trying to keep the peace.

Last edited:
Gama, stop overreacting. The point of excluding winners from ONE award cycle each year (which, you must admit, isn't that fucking bad) is to help divert the popularity contest the awards have become and get people to start focusing on quality, not popularity. I'm not saying that your fics aren't high-quality, but it would be foolish to suggest that no voters only voted for some fics just because they were popular.

Gama, stop overreacting. The point of excluding winners from ONE award cycle each year (which, you must admit, isn't that fucking bad) is to help divert the popularity contest the awards have become and get people to start focusing on quality, not popularity. I'm not saying that your fics aren't high-quality, but it would be foolish to suggest that no voters only voted for some fics just because they were popular.

No, you're right, it's not "that fucking bad" but it is bad and it is totally unnecessary.

And, actually, as much as everyone would love to believe it, I don't believe that anyone would vote for some fics just because they're popular. What possible incentive could there be for someone doing that? Perhaps you could argue that some people only read the most popular fics and therefore don't give the not as well established fics a chance and I'd be forced to agree with you on that. But you'd be naive to think that barring people from the Awards is going to do anything to change that.

Also, for the record, I would rather you did say that my fics weren't high quality than try and make it sound like I have some kind of unfair advantage. I worked hard to get the following that I've got and so have all of the popular writers in the Workshop.

One more thing, I'd really appreciate it if people could stop referring to all the popular writers in the Workshop as "Legacy and Gastly's Mama" because that's simply not true and only exacerbates the problem that we already have. Constantly referring to the two of us as the best authors doesn't reflect the popularity and quality of other authors in the Workshop: What about Ryuutakeshi? TPI and SoE are the two fics in the Workshop that I would say are, without a doubt, more popular and better written than Rival's Story. What about The Noob? I'm not exactly his biggest fan as a human being but it cannot be denied that his written work is both entertaining and popular - maybe he could be huge if he ever stopped being banned for long enough. What about Kayi Rowling? Before Kisses and Two Garnets, I felt like there were two camps in the Workshop - those who liked shipping and those who did not, it feels like Kayi has really managed to bridge the gap between those warring tribes! What about Flame Haze, GIROG, Aladar, Zekurom, Lugion, AceTrainer and all the other fantastic writers on this site, including even yourself, Jabber? It seems to me that the people who say that Legacy and I dominate this site the most are the people who don't want that to be the way it is... well, do yourself a favour and stop referring to us as the cruel dictators who are somehow unfairly talented!

(gives Gastly's Mama a round of applause)
Well said, well defended. I agree with you completely, just cuz your fic is popular doesnt neccessarily mean it is the best written yet people keep slating ou just because you have achieved the aim of publishing a fanfic by gettin readers!! It's ridiculous! Anyone who thinks that there are only two talented writers on this site are morons!

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom