• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW042: Don Battle Tournament! Satoshi vs. Iris!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BW040-42: Don Battle Tournament

I think Dento beating the tasting crap out of Shooti is just what Ash/Shooti rivalry needs, mostly on Shooti's side though.

And about the finals, now I'm more-so convinced that it will be Luke. I mean, if the writers wanted Iris to come to the finals they would have left Doryuuzu as her third and final Pokémon instead of Kibago (although both Dento and Ash gave their mascots the third place too). Granted, the writers could always have Kibago evolve and learn a new move, but it would feel kinda anti-climatic to happen like that in the tournament. Plus, they're in Raimon town/city, the Illusion Forest is most likely to be neglected so the finals are the perfect opportunity for Luke's Zorua to evolve into Zoroark, and seeing how they emphasized the fact Zorua was very rare in BW040 (with Dento claiming that he never saw an actual one before), they could just as well go out of the way and make the Zoroark have its anime debut.

Although I'd prefer Ash VS Iris, I gotta admit I'd love to see one of Ash's Pokémon facing the malicious beast of Zoroark.

Another reason Zoura will likely evolve is Movie 13 is airing in Japan in the middle of the tournament. It is no coincidence Luke was given the same pokemon as the star of the movie at the time they knew it would be airing.

Except they didn't know it would be airing. Don't forget we're two weeks ahead of where we're supposed to be.

As I said before, they knew these eps will air around the time a new movie will be released, so they threw in the star of the previous movie (they obviously did it intentually, as it's no coincidence the first ep with said Pokémon was called "Zorua THE MOVIE")
Which again, as I already said, convinced me Zorua will evolve into Zoroark and win this tournament
But I guess nothing is sure yet and we'll have to wait and see... personally, I don't find anything wrong with Luke winning

It would be pretty silly to have Zorua evolve just to tie into the Zoroark movie, which is merely being aired on TV (almost a month before BW42 even with the skip) to remind viewers that there is an actually new movie coming up. Last I checked Zorua and Zoroark received their fair share of promotion a year ago.

Zoroark deserves to make its series debut alongside N, anyway. As for Zorua being used in battle, no one should be certain that Golett is really the one battling Axew.

Last edited:

I knew Luke would be a Mary Sue the moment I laid eyes on him. Now they're giving him tons of cool pokemon, he's making it to the semi-finals, he will probably beat Iris, and I can see his Zoura evolving too.

Yes you were wrong.

Oh and stop calling everyone sue, seems like you are obsessed with that.

As for Zorua being used in battle, no one should be certain that Golett is really the one battling Axew.
I thought about it earlier, and it would make sense.

All characters set their mascot Pokémon for the third round.

Ash - Pikachu
Iris - Kibago
Dento - Yanappu

Now if we assume Zorua is Luke's mascot Pokémon due being showcased more than his other Pokémon, it would make sense to use her in the third round where Iris uses her Kibago as well. Naturally, we could also see Golett as Luke's mascot due the fact it's always by his side. Plus, both Golett and Zorua know Shadow Ball so they would be able to trick them into thinking it's the real Golett, when it's actually Zorua. Perhaps Iris suspects Luke is using Zorua in disguise so she orders scratch?

Speculation, speculation - anything is possible in this tournament.

Well, we can't say this arc was obvious in any way. It's groundbreaking in a lot of respects.
First of all, let me make my Trip instance clear. I'd like for him to lose his importance and be totally remodeled.
Ash needs a good rival and Trip is not good enough.

To me, BW39 was a great episode. I wasn't a fan of only one thing.
Palpitoad lost his bad persona. I'd like for him to be bad while battling, but good and happy with Ash.
And sure, Ash's battle could've been longer, but it was good enough.

BW40 will have a different dynamic. There are no introductions, mostly battling.
And the first will be Cilan vs. Trip. Trip will lose as we all know but there are ways for him to lose.
I don't want him to be owned by Cilan, this battle has to be epic and hard for both of them.
And I don't want him to lose and brush it off. His dream is big and losing has to be real hard for him.

Kenyan vs. Bel is next and this battle should be quick but fun to watch.
Bel is not a bad trainer and a least 90 seconds of battling should be granted.
Then, Luke and Purple haired dude will problably get only 10 seconds because really, is not that important.
And then, Iris vs. Watchog dude. This has to be great. Probably Excadrill vs. Watchog, right?
I want to laugh as I laughed with Iris reaction to him.

And last but not least, starting the second round, Ash vs. Langley.
We all know this will end with a comedic solution, but please make Snivy work for it because this diva is not being used properly.

So That will leave us for BW41 with :

Antonio vs. Creepy Lance.
Iris vs. Kenyan
Cilan vs. Luke

Antonio will win, he is the important random this time. Iris will beat Kenyan with Emolga and I don't want Emolga to behave.
I want it to be lazy and try to leave, but in the end accept to battle and show her strength. This shoudn't be long, but effective. Poor Keneyan. :D

And Cilan vs. Luke. I'm predicting Cilan will lose because Stunfisk is out of water.
Sure, he is Ground/Electric but it's not very mobile, is it? Let's see how it goes.

So, semifinals are:

Ash vs. Antonio
Iris vs. Luke

I want Ash to suffer in Antonio's hands. He seems like a good trainer and can return later.
And Iris will lose because Axew has only two moves and one of those isn't effective agaisnt Ghost types.
Iris needs teach Axew new moves or evolve it.

So that leaves us with Ash vs. Luke. Pikachu vs. Zorua, and this HAS TO go to Ash. Pikachu lost enough in BW.
Luke can return later, because he has a Dream Team and nice personality. But Ash has got to win this.

In the end, my dream arc finale should leave us with Trip getting rebooted.
Iris with a semi well-behaved Emolga and a training disposition with Axew.
Watchog Guy and Antonio as recurring characters. Luke as a new friend of the group and Ash with a bunch of useless feathers.

I just thought of something...maybe they'll introduce the 3 vs 3 battle in finals... that will be awesome!!!=]

I don't like that idea. Satoshi should be able to practice with it first.

yeah...but he did good in his 1st double battle in Orange Islands with Lizardon and Pikachu

I knew Luke would be a Mary Sue the moment I laid eyes on him. Now they're giving him tons of cool pokemon, he's making it to the semi-finals, he will probably beat Iris, and I can see his Zoura evolving too.

He can't be a Mary Sue. He's a guy. He'd have to be a Gary Stu :-D

I like Luke, I hope he comes back again to make another movie. :)

I don't even understand why a film maker like Luke is such a great battler and has such strong pokemon. You would expect him to be the first ones out in the tournament, but instead he's the most likely to make it to the finals with Ash.

Seriously, why do the writers glorify some characters out of nowhere? I wasn't even aware Luke had any type of following, most just thought he was a filler character in his debut ep.

Now all of a sudden, this "Luke" guy, became more important than Iris/Cilan and all the established BW rivals? How is this not sue-ish?

"Most likely" doesn't mean 100%, though. Wouldn't it be better to wait and see if that's actually the case? And even if he does, there's a possibility it's necessary for some form of development... should give the writers more credit, as hard as that is to do sometimes :p;; If he really is a one-shot guy who won't appear after this, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't get him up so high in ranks in a tournament as big as this one.

And just because he was introduced late doesn't mean he can't be a good trainer. Luke strikes me as someone who is calm and rationable in battles; someone who thinks things like typing through. Knowledge is power. He probably just looks to be a "gary stu" because characters like Shuuti got the short end of the stick in this tournament in comparison.

I don't even understand why a film maker like Luke is such a great battler and has such strong pokemon. You would expect him to be the first ones out in the tournament, but instead he's the most likely to make it to the finals with Ash.

To be honest though, if Luke makes it to the finals, two of his opponents are a COTD and Iris' Axew. They're not that strong and it's reasonable to think he'd beat them. The only stronger trainer he'll beat before the finals is Cilan. But Cilan is using Stunfisk, a pokemon that's new to him and who hasn't battled before in an official battle. Also, as someone has mentioned, Stunfisk is also battling out of the water. It might be somewhat of a disadvantage. So I don't see how it's too impossible to see him make it far.

I'm more shocked that either Deed or Antonio make it to the semis. Out of the new tournament characters, Yoshihiko was the one that stood out the most and I would've expected him to be in their places. Still hoping that in the next episode, we'll be hinted at a future appearance from him.

WOAH WOAH WOAH HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE. DENTO BEATS SHOOTI?????
DENTOSEXRIOT.gif

My mind cannot produce much rational thought at this moment. Just WOW. WOOOOOW. Further thoughts later, I need to calm down first....
Wait, WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

It's Plot Twist Time!

We know absolutely little of Luke's past to even make this conclusion. Luke may have started out as a film maker, and had caught and raised these powerful pokemon to serve that purpose. We also have absolutely no clue as to how long Luke and his Zorua were together. Nevertheless, it is very clear that Luke had worked hard to obtain what he had achieved.

The problem with Luke is, nobody can validate his battling prowess because he does not have any badges on him. Just because Luke does not compete for badges, we automatically assume that he is a weaker trainer than most? This notion is utterly ridiculous.

Seriously, why do the writers glorify some characters out of nowhere? I wasn't even aware Luke had any type of following, most just thought he was a filler character in his debut ep.

It's the same exact reason that the writers glorified trainers like Harrison or Tyson in their league conferences. Technically those characters as well are "filler characters" in the first episodes that they have appeared in, but they have become more important as time goes on.

This is also the reason why Iris and Cilan are shown advancing past their first round matches, and some of the other rivals are not. The rivals and recurring characters can be focused on later in the future, so this is not an issue at all. Luke and Zorua may just be around for this tournament only, and therefore the writers will plan on developing the characters as much as humanly possible.

Luke and Zorua are fantastic characters. It is actually refreshing to see a child filming these Pokemon battles, simply because it had not been replicated before. Zorua alone will confound many of the recurring characters, such as Langley and Bianca, forcing those characters to interact with each other in a way that might not have been possible without her.

Looking forward to the next episode I+m interested how Bel will lose! Will she show an new Pokemon or will she lose because of her crazy Minccino!
Hope she puts up at least a good fight!

If they are going for, what I think they are going for in this tournament with the rivalry with Trip then Ash would almost have to face, and beat Luke in the finals. If he loses to Luke, or battles Iris in the finals I don't really see anything changing that much. Of course Cilan could just not say anything to Trip after he wins, and just eliminate any possibility of anything.

I want to see him stick around bitching and moaning about how Ash is getting further than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom