• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW042: Don Battle Tournament! Satoshi vs. Iris!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Pikachu deals damage to Excadrill with any electric attack I'll get pissed for Iris.

Yeah, basically Ash using thunderbolt on Excadrill serves basicaly to show kids that Pikachu's most used movesets are completely ineffective against his opponent. It's mainly used to show how much Ash is at a disadvantage in this battle. It might seem dumb, but Pokemon does these kind of things all the time.

I have an odd feeling that if Ash were paired up against some other trainer with an Excadrill, the writers wouldn't force him to make this mistake. It seems that the writers want Iris to still call Ash a "kid." (kodomo ne). The writers can't handle one moment in this series when Ash isn't making a mistake or isn't showing a relative amount of inexperience on his part.

I still see it as an instance just to show that Ash is at an overwhelming disadvantage in this match. He only has two moves he can use, and those are probably easily countered. I personally don't see any chance Ash has here to win this battle. He might put up a good fight, but winning? Can't see it.

I dunno....with him seemingly yelling "STOP", to I guess PIkachu in the Pokemon Smash preview, makes me think he'll just forfeit the match considering how bad this match-up is. It almost looks as if Pikachu is being stubborn, and Ash wants it to stop fighting.

I dunno....with him seemingly yelling "STOP" in the Pokemon Smash preview, makes me think he'll just forfeit the match considering how bad this match-up is. It almost looks as if Pikachu is being stubborn, and Ash wants it to stop fighting.

If that's the case I'm glad Pikachu is showing signs of personality.

I think a forfeit would be a lame way to end a tournament tbh, but I can see it happening.

Since Ash is probably going to win, let's hope its done in such a way that its not a cheap victory.

Since Ash is probably going to win, let's hope its done in such a way that its not a cheap victory.

I don't know. It's BW. Most of their battles aren't as impressive as in the past. It'll be cheap depending on the amount of time it has.

is it me or Langley is really serious when Kibago it's about to be hit by Gyro Ball ??

Yeah. Forfeit isn't Ash's style (unless it's really serious)...

Well Ash does look pretty disconcerted when he's yelling (for Pikachu presumably) to stop. It's the finals..limiting him to only two not very effective moves, while the other two don't do any damage whatsoever is just kind of...lame. It's just like, yeah, Iris is gonna destroy him to make up for her lack of action, and to give Excadrill an on-screen victory(because it probably won't be doing too much after this)...while at the same time justifying everything she's said about him.

I guess it's just better to wait, and see..but I don't see any storyline purposes that would come out of Ash forfeiting, or getting curb stomped by Iris. If they were going to do this, she would have been better off as a rival...if they're going the route that Ash won't be able defeat Iris until the 8th gym. Implying it's going to take him that long to be stronger than her.

Last edited:
Ash can surely win this battle.

He is not going to get curbstomped, I'm sure even the writers are aware of the match-up they created. This will basically be another one of those battles when Ash despite the type disadvantage manages to come out as a winner with Pikachu. I only hope they (writers) use their creativity and make it believable.

I don't think Ash will forfeit, perhaps Ash told Pikachu to do something specific and was yelling 'stop it' as if he noticed it wasn't working. We can't really tell until the episode airs. Though I'm certainly looking forward to the battle.

Ash forefeiting?

I SMELL A REASON FOR HIM TO INTERACT WITH N!
Cuz Ash does not wish to harm Pikachu or other Pokemon, and N does not like Pokemon to be harmed, soooooo.........

TEAM PLASMA AND PLOT DEVELOPMENT!!!
after the Nyagotiator arc, of course.......

How will that lead to plot development with Team Plasma? We see in the future episodes with Meowth that Ash doesn't seem too upset about the outcome of this match. Infact he seems pretty okay and so is Pikachu and Iris.

Ash forfeiting would actually be kind of interesting. It'll be something new for his character. As long as he has a good reason.

Well, I think a forfeit it's very unlikely because Iris is not a cruel trainer, a battle between the two of them wouldn't be sooo serious.
But if it were to happen, it would be cool. Something different that could lead to development, as you guys say.

Something different that could lead to development, as you guys say.

What development would come out of Ash getting stomped or givinig up against Iris...of all people? It's not like she's some rival.

What development would come out of Ash getting stomped or givinig up against Iris...of all people? It's not like she's some rival.

He could develop a strategy against ground-types. Idk. And Even though Iris is not a rival, there is a good possibility Iris will be the last gym leader.
But this whole discussion is beside the point. I think Pikachu will win, not in spite of the disadvantage, but because of it. Pokemon writers love a 'overcoming the challenges' win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom