• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Chess Mafia (2023) - ENDGAME - TOWN + INDEPT WIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh right, I have no idea what the scum promotions would do.
Upon promotion, both the Silver General and the Lance will change, becoming the Gold General (Bulletproof + Framer Jailer + Strongman).
A more detailed role PM will be provided if this event happens.
It was in the initial Mafia post.

the backup claim was REALLY risky for reason people pointed out earlier, specially rag
the promotion already acted as a backup, so it wouldn't make sense for it to copy a role that, well, copies another role
Yeah, another problem with our crazy recent softing meta: I thought I HAD to soft since n0 to be believed, when Town Emperor and how promotion works were revealed in d1 start proper: had these been revealed at the same time I received role PM, I probably would have started softing another fake.

@Zexy Why did you kill me? Outside of the fact that I wouldn’t have believed your BS universal backup claim.
You were not my first idea of a target, I was considering Potato the most that night, but I did get afraid someone in the PoE would get the role and get a free clear with it, I also got a bit afraid you could swing vote counts beyond salvaging, it just felt safer at the moment.

human why in the world were you going off about jester zexy. although admittedly its funny as fuck
db9.jpg

Last edited:
fun game i'm glad i subbed in

hammering me was rude i still had things i wanted to say

How does it make more sense?

I'm not sure if this was genuine or not, but if scum had been me and DW, it would have been very hard for us to get a lynch on any of you, jamie, mint, beryl, or potato, because you were all very solidly townreading each other and would probably coordinate votes on other players. This means the only way for us to hope at achieving parity would have been to kill from that pool of five players and do what we could to divert the lynch onto the other players who weren't being townlocked (zinn, minish, helperman).

Fuck, I knew Rag was counterclaiming knight, but I got too blinded. Sorry.

I wasn't intending to, as hinting at character is against the rules i went out of my way to try not to do that, and instead tried to flavoursolve from an objective perspective. It was a pretty awkward state of affairs though, as the rule feels impossible to not break while discussing flavour and the degree that is acceptable seems ambiguous. Zexy definitely went a lot further with "i heavily disagree with you thinking zinn is queen" than i would have been comfortable with.

and like i said multiple times during the game, I don't think flavoursolving was a good way to approach the game, in theory or in practice. It didn't end up being necessary, because minish, potato were cleared mechanically and you and beryl were clearing eachother through metagaming your roles, which means the only real flavour-driven lynch that was made was on me, and that obviously backfired.

Ultimately, the only two roles i personally think matched their character well were the queen and the army pawn, the latter of which was claimed and thus didn't need to be guessed, and the former of which people largely guessed incorrectly.

Yeah, another problem with our crazy recent softing meta: I thought I HAD to soft since n0 to be believed, when Town Emperor and how promotion works were revealed in d1 start proper: had these been revealed at the same time I received role PM, I probably would have started softing another fake.
I mean I think people only expect softs because you literally made a guide that says people should soft asap :lapras:
if you hadn't softed I think people would start seeing softs where there were none and you could get away with it more easily by simply confirming what was more convenient or by just debunking everything and making them scratch their heads

1. cant argue with that stellar logic
2. xenoblade... if you had posted this sooner we couldve immediately locked you as town for good taste... (although you died super early anyway, i guess)

do we get access to scum chat or anything i need to see the inner workings of scum zexy's brain

hammering me was rude i still had things i wanted to say
Sorry, it was the best idea I could think of at the time to get you out and keep helperman around.

Glad I got to play with you for the first time, you were good town despite being lynched for all the wrong reasons, I could actually tell your posts were helping townread a previously liability slot, and thought you were Vig, which is why I played along that I get to townread you more: when Minish claimed Vig though, I had to change it up, and the prime numbers thing only made it easier plus your predecessor actions coming back to bite you. As discussed earlier, had you claimed Odd/Even Night or so they might have not considered you as much.

@ragnarokio You played amazingly. If you were active in N1 I would have enjoyed game solving with you.

@Minish apologies for the harsh N1 but you were my motion target and I needed a read on you ASAP. The claim made me decide to leave you be and motion toast that night, which didn’t end up mattering because I died.

Sorry, it was the best idea I could think of at the time to get you out and keep helperman around.
it was certainly good coming from you and your "we shouldn't let helperman activate just in case" was a really good excuse to push it i think. I don't know why jamie hammered even after helperman showed up though.

do we get access to scum chat or anything i need to see the inner workings of scum zexy's brain
I unfortunately was not posting much thoughts until I could tell reasonably well there was no Spy. Also the earlier phases were much more active and I did not have time, also I did not want to give Dawning/toast ideas they could not reasonably develop from the thread, or being seen as "viewing conversation" in the activity tab all the time... After some things started excusing me viewing conversation messages more, I did make more notes.

Glad I got to play with you for the first time, you were good town despite being lynched for all the wrong reasons, I could actually tell your posts were helping townread a previously liability slot, and thought you were Vig, which is why I played along that I get to townread you more: when Minish claimed Vig though, I had to change it up, and the prime numbers thing only made it easier plus your predecessor actions coming back to bite you. As discussed earlier, had you claimed Odd/Even Night or so they might have not considered you as much.

If the flavour-solving meta is such that its pro-town to lie about your flavour to make it fit the game better then i think the meta is probably unhealthy, although I can agree that it would have helped in practice.

@ragnarokio You played amazingly. If you were active in N1 I would have enjoyed game solving with you.
thanks!

@Zexy your Mafia play made me realize a weakness - people get too tired from reading long posts. Better to look Town with less than more.

Also gotta laugh at how my random scum buddies both had OOC lol.

I mean I think people only expect softs because you literally made a guide that says people should soft asap
A guide made by someone who randed town 5/5 and could tell at the end of GO Rush it WILL be a problem when he rands scum, but did it anyway just to LOOK normal :(

REMAINING ROLES
REMAINING ROLES:

Potato-6 was the King, the Town Emperor! (check D1 post to see the Role PM details)
Hello Helperman!

In this game you’ll be the Checkers Piece, Independent Hopper! You… you might not really belong in this war!

1697067540198.png

Every Day Phase you can target two Players (do this by telling me your targets in this DM).
At the end of that Phase, the targeted players will receive a “Hopped” modifier (they will be notified about it, but won't be given any details). The modifier does nothing to them.

You win if all other remaining living Players have a “Hopped” modifier once the game ends.
You can win even if you're dead in-game, as long the condition above is met.
Hello Minish!

In this game you’ll be the Bishop, Town Rusher! Despite being a man of faith you are also ready to fight this war, no turning the other cheek.

1697067813869.png

You are an Odd Night Roleblocker and an Even Night Vigilante.

Every Odd Night (1, 3, 5…) you can target a Player. The targeted Player will be unable to use their action during that Night. As usual, this can stop kills.
Every Even Night (2, 4, 6…) you can target a Player. The targeted Player will be killed by you.

You win when all potential threats to Town are eliminated from the game.
Hello Jamieisbored!

In this game you’ll be the Pawn, Town Guard! You’re a soldier ready to selflessly dive head-on into battle, ever loyal to defending your kingdom at all costs.

1697067881174.png

You have a 2x Bodyguard. The first time you would use a Bodyguard shot you can target two players instead of one.

During the Night Phase, you can target a Player. If that Player would be killed that Night you will die in their place instead.

As a Neighbor, you are also in a Neighborhood Chat with milkshayke.

Due to being a Pawn, if you're still alive by the start of D5, you can Promote. Upon achieving promotion you can become any of the publicly revealed Town Roles so far, as long as their character isn't the King or a Pawn.

You win when all potential threats to Town are eliminated from the game.

Other Notes:
  • The Promotion Condition for Mafia was them reaching N-2 living mafia, where N was the remaining number of living Town Players. This is basically a punishment for Town letting the game reach -Lo. It would turn the both Silver General (toastghost) and the Lance (DawningWinds) into Gold General - a Bulletproof Framer Jailer Strongman.
  • The Criteria for who would die to save the King was based on Piece Value. Pawns -> Knight = Bishop -> Rook -> Queen. If multiple Pieces of same value were still alive then the person to die would be randomized.

Last edited:
If the flavour-solving meta is such that its pro-town to lie about your flavour to make it fit the game better then i think the meta is probably unhealthy
For like 4 games earlier in the year the themes were such that it didn't, but for the most recent 2, definitely.

Prime/Non-Prime for Knight was because Knight is completely unhinged
moves in L??? jumps over other pieces??? insults your mother???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom