• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Citations, Bulbapedia Policy, and our position in the fan community

Oh good, I'll just take my camcorder to the theater with me to see Avatar, and when the security guy in there confronts me, I'll say it's necessary for me to write my review!

...I'm pretty sure recording, of any kind, at a movie theater, is frowned upon. And admitting it on your site, like I said, isn't really something anyone should be doing, especially if they've already been in tangles with a company.

im not 100% sure on this, but im going to say that WPM records bits of the movie for his personal use in writing the article. he isnt pirating it and selling it or posting it to youtube in bits and pieces.
(unless you are and im not aware of this)

I used a tape recorder, not a video camera, and it was in my backpack. :p

Also, the "My method is not illegal, which is why TPCi can't do anything" line refers to the card scans, not this one instance of recording something so I could write a movie summary.

BTW I think you guys should lay off. We all know you two hate me for SOVA-related reasons, so you don't need to drag this topic down with your personal attacks. Thanks.

Actually I've moved on from that, I just thought I'd point out a possible solution to the problem you seem to have been facing. It was never intended to be a personal attack.

im not 100% sure on this, but im going to say that WPM records bits of the movie for his personal use in writing the article. he isnt pirating it and selling it or posting it to youtube in bits and pieces.
(unless you are and im not aware of this)

He recorded the audio of the entire movie and then posted at least one part of it (Arceus tackling the meteor) to his site.

Also, lol SOVA scapegoating. I don't even know if they still exist.

So I received a warning for "spam" (my webring post higher up this page). It wasn't spam. I was legitimately recommending a group affiliation between the major websites, but doing it in such a way as to ease tension and bring humor by referencing the old days when Pokemon sites weren't "serious business".

but doing it in such a way as to ease tension and bring humor by referencing the old days when Pokemon sites weren't "serious business".

Pokémon sites being Serious Business is probably a concept at least a decade old. Ergo, they always have been...

Pokémon sites being Serious Business is probably a concept at least a decade old. Ergo, they always have been...
Probably, but definitely less-so than nowadays. Copy-pasting code-lists was the norm, and it actually benefited the fandom and Pokemon's popularity.

Bulbapedia currently as a sort of webring by connecting the various Pokemon wikis, and seems to be furthering that trend by including other fan-wikis when referencing non-Pokemon subjects.

Perhaps a mutual agreement between the main sites is in order? If one site writes up an article or covers something that definitely couldn't have been discovered and covered otherwise under a one-week difference, then that site should have "rights" to that information and any other site cannot cover it within that first week, and after that point can, but must cite the first site. It would be a good way to allow each site a "turn" on printing something new, granting them attention.

Last edited:
You have noble intentions, but unfortunately, peace treaties have already been tried and failed....

Actually I've moved on from that, I just thought I'd point out a possible solution to the problem you seem to have been facing. It was never intended to be a personal attack.
Oh, alright. TPCi doesn't really care about anything other than the English stuff though. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for posting early Japanese stuff, and I've been in the fandom for years and years.

Nando said:
He recorded the audio of the entire movie and then posted at least one part of it (Arceus tackling the meteor) to his site.
Wow, you must really read my site a lot if you brought this up and I didn't even remember it at first. The clip was a fuzzy audio clip less than 2 minutes long posted right before the movie aired in America. I really don't think that's a big deal. It would be a big deal if I posted anything substantially longer, or if I posted the audio when I first recorded it in Japan, but I don't think this really counts as anything major. It's illegal for sure (as are many things we do in the fandom), but nothing to write to the company officials about. TPCi reads my site all the time, so if they had a major issue with it, I definitely would have received an e-mail. :p

Umm nothing you guys are talking about anymore has anything to do with the topic at hand. At least I don't see how it's relevant to the topic.

It's illegal for sure (as are many things we do in the fandom), but nothing to write to the company officials about. TPCi reads my site all the time, so if they had a major issue with it, I definitely would have received an e-mail. :p

You sure won't be talking your way into any Phantom Champion Z showings, that's for certain.

It's a shame. We could have gotten a really good (and exclusive) story from you this year too.

EDIT: insomniac, good point. I got a little distracted by certain things here.

You have noble intentions, but unfortunately, peace treaties have already been tried and failed....
That's because the person who used to be in charge of the largest fansite is no longer #1. That person was often the one starting trouble with other sites, attacking people, and promoting hatred among his members, though that's in the past now. Bulbagarden is #1 now, and its users are generally calmer and less evil. I don't think we need a "treaty," but better communication with each other ("each other" = "nice" sites like Filb, PB, BMG, etc.).

Didn't something happen to Filb, though? I haven't heard from nYoo or Buoysel in almost a year.

Communication is a good point, though. Problem is, all it takes is one clown to muck everything up, as seems to be the case here with the guy who stole Joe's images.

You sure won't be talking your way into any Phantom Champion Z showings, that's for certain.

It's a shame. We could have gotten a really good (and exclusive) story from you this year too.

Well for one I won't be walking into any Z showings because I won't be in Japan then. But you don't know everything that went on when I went to that event as I didn't report everything that happened during it and many weeks later when I was still in Japan - let's just say that if I ever go back to Japan, if the same person is still in charge of those raffles, I will for sure be able to get in.

Didn't something happen to Filb, though? I haven't heard from nYoo or Buoysel in almost a year.

Communication is a good point, though. Problem is, all it takes is one clown to muck everything up, as seems to be the case here with the guy who stole Joe's images.

I talk to nYoo all the time - we are bestest best friends. :p I don't talk to Filb as often but I always enjoy my conversations with him. Never have talked to Buoysel.

Yeah apparently nYoo was online this afternoon. Mea culpa XD

I do think we're on to something here though. If we can build up a system of improved communication between sites that want to participate in it, perhaps peace is possible.

"Kaiba, you and I probably hate each other just as much as Konomi hates upper deck. But unlike them we actually respect one another."

Recognize it? Yu-gi-oh abridged. I say we take a leaf out of Yami's book and agree to respect each other and their site, though be allowed to dislike each other and their site on a personal level. And then leave it at that.

Yeah, in fact I see no mention of Bulbanews having reported the new Pokemon RPG in his site update from today even though we got it up before he did. By his own logic, shouldn't he cite us?
I referenced the site that posted it first, the official site.

I referenced the site that posted it first, the official site.

I have to say, he's got a point.

I think I'm understand this now. Serebii and WPM are upset that they go through all this trouble to get information about the games, TCG, anime, etc., information that is not reported to the general public or is frankly difficult and time consuming to get, and yet they do not get acknowledged for their hard work. Whereas Bulbanews takes all its information from sources that are available to the general public, and yet Transfinite feels we should be cited for our "work." Not exactly the same thing...

Okay, so then, if the situation is resolved (I'm told it is) then we need no further argument. Good night.

@Immewnity, Unless your scans are are greater than Zedbill's top quality scans, his aren't getting replaced. I'm telling you now, the only cards you will be replacing are the extreme few that are from the Japanese card database.

It applies to all I upload. And I'll check to see which coloring is better; anyways, my scanner's broken.

I have to say, he's got a point.

I think I'm understand this now. Serebii and WPM are upset that they go through all this trouble to get information about the games, TCG, anime, etc., information that is not reported to the general public or is frankly difficult and time consuming to get, and yet they do not get acknowledged for their hard work. Whereas Bulbanews takes all its information from sources that are available to the general public, and yet Transfinite feels we should be cited for our "work." Not exactly the same thing...

Okay, so then, if the situation is resolved (I'm told it is) then we need no further argument. Good night.
WHERE is the proof that they posted the information FIRST and "we" didn't get it from another source?!?!

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom