• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

CN picks up Season 9

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Up until now, CN airing the ninth season has merely been speculation, but now it looks like it's finally been confirmed:

Toon Zone said:
Cartoon Network has announced that Season 9 of the hit series Pokémon will be premiering this Fall under the guise of Pokémon: Battle Frontier. The former Kids' WB! show continues the journies of Ash and May as they traverse the lands of Kanto, where Ash competes against the six remaining Frontier Brains in the Battle Frontier, while May continues to compete in Pokémon Contests, hoping to catch up to her rivals Harley and Drew. 52 episodes of the series have been confirmed to have been picked up by Cartoon Network. It was not said where the new season would air.

Currently, the remaining episodes of Pokémon Advanced Battle still air on Kids' WB! Saturday mornings at 10AM. Pokémon Advanced Challenge airs Monday-Friday at 5PM on Miguzi, and premiere episodes of Pokémon Chronicles are airing Saturdays at 7PM on Toonami.

GoldChaos said:

Yeah but there's no harm with putting the same topic in it's appropriate related thread ;)

Well, at least the execs have finnaly picked up which gives pokemon a safe ground
for the fall. I just want to know when it will air. I'm not expecting they're going
as far as to give the show back its traditional 10AM Sat. morning block, but I
hope it still follows something reasonable like one episode per week.

I doubt Kids' WB! would let them put it in a slot where it would compete with them in the ratings department. So Saturday morning's pretty much out.

Personally, I'm expecting this to air on Miguzi. Toonami fans would be pissed if it ended up airing there.

Dogasu said:
I doubt Kids' WB! would let them put it in a slot where it would compete with them in the ratings department. So Saturday morning's pretty much out.

What's it got to do with Kids WB? It's not as if they can sue Cartoon Network for being stupid enough to dump the show along with every other anime in favour for piles of crap like Justice League.

CN could do whatever they wish to do with Pokemon, it's their show now afterall.

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad at least we'll get a chance to see Season 9 now. Should be an interesting season to say the least...

It'd be cool to get the 10AM slot again, but I ain't holding my breath.

I have to agree with Doctor Oak. There isn't anything KidsWB can do about when Cartoon Network airs Season 9. Putting your strongest programs up against rivals happens all the time.

However, I think Pokemon will end up in an afternoon slot where there will be more viewers.

Putting it in the current Chronicles slot would make sense and explain the sudden change to two episodes a week instead of one.

That would make sense. Once the Chronicles run out, CN would have to find something to fill the slot. Oooh, do you think they'd show two episodes of Pokemon?

the gadfly said:
That would make sense. Once the Chronicles run out, CN would have to find something to fill the slot. Oooh, do you think they'd show two episodes of Pokemon?

Considering Toonami/Cartoon Network UK's system of airing a batch in one go and then waiting a few months then doing it again, yes.

RBYGSCRSFRLGEPD said:
Just wondering, were Toonami fans pissed when Pokémon Chronicles aired there? :|

Oh yeah. If you go to any Toonami board, you'll see tons of pissy posts about how Pokemon Chronicles doesn't belong on the block and how it brings down the night as a whole.

Doctor Oak said:
What's it got to do with Kids WB? It's not as if they can sue Cartoon Network for being stupid enough to dump the show along with every other anime in favour for piles of crap like Justice League.

Except that Kids' WB! HAS done that in the past. Since the two networks became sister networks after the AOL/Time Warner merger, they've been sharing shows like crazy (Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Teen Titans, Xiaolin Showdown, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends...the list goes on and on). However, Kids' WB! has also been bossing CN around, forcing them to push Toonami (and then later, Miguzi) back to 5:00pm and forcing CN to get rid of their Saturday morning Toonami block altogether, all because they didn't like the ratings competition.

Kids' WB! isn't as bad about it as they used to be, but they may still have the power to prevent their sister network from putting new episodes of one of their former heavy-hitters in competition with their block.

But is the CW still a sister network of Cartoon Network considering one of its owners is CBS? The CW kept the KidsWB name simply because it had brand name recognition.

Not that I mind Season 9 airing on Miguzi,but since Pokemon Chronicles is supposedly getting good ratings on Toonami I'd imagine the next logical step would be for the new episodes to air there.Plus I think it'd be nice for us to have the same time slot as the japanese premieres.

But if I still don't like what I hear from the new VAs,I'm going to take a year long break from the Pokemon dub,old and new.

Dogasu said:
Oh yeah. If you go to any Toonami board, you'll see tons of pissy posts about how Pokemon Chronicles doesn't belong on the block and how it brings down the night as a whole.

Naruto and IGPX I get,but what exactly is so "hardcore" about Zatch Bell and BoBoBoBo-BoBoBo? (<--did I get that right?) Why would viewers bitch about Pokemon? Unless of course the reason is that it's Pokemon. =/

IIRC, Powerpuff Girls aired once on Toonami as well. Those programming people seem to have a funny idea about what is "action". The Toonami over here is a lot more consistent - it's all superhero shows: Justice League Unlimited, Superman: TAS, Teen Titans, X-Men: Evolution. But then again it's only a 2-hour block, and airs weekdays rather than on Saturday.

Well, in the U.S., there was a short time a good while back when they had Toonami on KidsWB......

So that was when Pokemon was first on Toonami (except it wasn't airing on CN back then, it was just on the KidsWB afternoon Toonami block).

the gadfly said:
But is the CW still a sister network of Cartoon Network considering one of its owners is CBS? The CW kept the KidsWB name simply because it had brand name recognition.

Possibly. CW keeps the Kids' WB! name not only because of brand recognition, but also because a good number of the people who worked for Kids' WB! will be keeping their jobs with the CW. From what I hear, the Kids' WB! portion, at least, will run the same way it would have if the whole WB/UPN merger never happened.

With that in mind, I don't see why the two networks would stop being sister networks, especially with co-productions like Legion of Superheroes and The Batman (well, I'm not so sure that CN had anything to do with The Batman) still in the works.

Nomekop Oen said:
Naruto and IGPX I get,but what exactly is so "hardcore" about Zatch Bell and BoBoBoBo-BoBoBo? (<--did I get that right?) Why would viewers bitch about Pokemon? Unless of course the reason is that it's Pokemon. =/

Well, there's that. But there's also the fact that Zatch Bell does have some rather serious moments in between all the comedy/zaniness, and Bobobobo-bo Bo-bobo is just an awesome show that deserves the great timeslot it gets.

Zhen Lin said:
IIRC, Powerpuff Girls aired once on Toonami as well.

What's wrong with Powerpuff Girls airing on Toonami? Makes perfect sense to me.

PokemonTrainerLisa said:
Well, in the U.S., there was a short time a good while back when they had Toonami on KidsWB......

So that was when Pokemon was first on Toonami (except it wasn't airing on CN back then, it was just on the KidsWB afternoon Toonami block).

Why did you have to bring up that abomination of a programming stunt up?

Last edited:
Dogasu said:
Well, there's that. But there's also the fact that Zatch Bell does have some rather serious moments in between all the comedy/zaniness, and Bobobobo-bo Bo-bobo is just an awesome show that deserves the great timeslot it gets.

Well yeah,but it's not like either one is DBZ,Yu Yu Hakusho,or Gundam.I've only watched a handful of episodes of each series but both shows are pretty entertaining IMO.Zatch Bell is more or less some weirdo version of Pokemon,and I think of BoBoBo as a anime version of Beetlejuice.

But I have to say that opinions of BoBoBo are very polarized.You either love it or hate it,sort of like Pokemon I'd say.

My guess it's just Pokemon bias as usual.

It's just like the people who say that Nintendo should stop making Pokémon games, already, even though Nintendo would never stop when it's their second most profitable franchise. It's as big as Mario or Zelda but now that the fad is over, there's the illusion of unpopularity.

Since the series is airing on CN, I wonder if PUSA will dub the Next Episode Previews and air them after the ending theme like they do in Japan.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom