• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

If there were one aspect of Ash's personality I don't like, I think it'd have the be the 'I love food' trope he has going on. To me its just always felt tacked on with no real rhyme or reason to it. I get that Brock and Delia's cooking must be amazing, but so good that he has to have one of the most cliche of tropes connected to him? And I feel like it just comes up so rarely. I mean, do we even know what Ash's favorite food is?

If there were one aspect of Ash's personality I don't like, I think it'd have the be the 'I love food' trope he has going on. To me its just always felt tacked on with no real rhyme or reason to it. I get that Brock and Delia's cooking must be amazing, but so good that he has to have one of the most cliche of tropes connected to him? And I feel like it just comes up so rarely. I mean, do we even know what Ash's favorite food is?
Knowing Ash, the edible kind is his favorite. Though speaking of favorite foods, I wonder what ever happened to Pikachu’s love of ketchup.

Ash liking food is just a popular anime trope. I've seen many anime protagonists who are gluttons, not just Ash. I can't list them all, but Monkey D. Luffy, Usagi Tsukino, Natsu Dragneel, Goku, and Naruto come to mind. I admit that it's reductive as heck, but not too much of a bother.

I... kind of like Bourgain?
Image result for you are not alone gif

You’d think with all its SoL episodes and callbacks to Gen 1 it would’ve come up more in S&M.
Hey, it first appeared as a one-off gag in season 1, once in Hoenn, then once in Kalos, where it finally peaked to memetic levels thanks to the ketchup song. All in all, it hasn't been too common up until now either, so I'm not surprised it hasn't been mentioned.

Also, this reminds me: there was one Best Wishes episode where Pikachu was implied to have fondness for orange(?) juice, but that never went anywhere. Considering that it was Best Wishes, that's not too surprising, but still.

Also, this reminds me: there was one Best Wishes episode where Pikachu was implied to have fondness for orange(?) juice, but that never went anywhere. Considering that it was Best Wishes, that's not too surprising, but still.
Didn't Pikachu also drink orange juice in the original series? I think remember something like that from the Cycling Road episode.

If there were one aspect of Ash's personality I don't like, I think it'd have the be the 'I love food' trope he has going on.
I don't remember him being fond of food that much. He is usually the one who says how great someone's food is, but it's mostly because he's the main character, and shipping, in Serena's case. At least, he's not a "big eater" like Goku and his clones.

As good as the episode about Mallow's mother was, I don't think it drastically changes my opinion on Mallow's character. It was a good, emotional and memorable episode for her, as well as being one of the highlight episodes of SM thus far, but I do think that just being there for most of the series with barely any focus episodes even compared to the other characters doesn't really help her. I was basically in tears for almost the entire episode, so it was still emotionally effective even with Mallow not being one of my favorite SM characters. I don't dislike her, but I'm just kind of indifferent about her.

I was also happier with how Torracat learned Fire Blast than I expected. It wasn't the main focus of the episode when most of the attention was put on Mallow, but it didn't feel like an afterthought either. Learning Fire Blast from Stoutland was a lot more meaningful and heartfelt than I expected it be, so I was pretty happy about it and it gave Torracat a nice bit of focus in the mist of everything else going on in that episode.

As good as the episode about Mallow's mother was, I don't think it drastically changes my opinion on Mallow's character. It was a good, emotional and memorable episode for her, as well as being one of the highlight episodes of SM thus far, but I do think that just being there for most of the series with barely any focus episodes even compared to the other characters doesn't really help her. I was basically in tears for almost the entire episode, so it was still emotionally effective even with Mallow not being one of my favorite SM characters. I don't dislike her, but I'm just kind of indifferent about her.

I was also happier with how Torracat learned Fire Blast than I expected. It wasn't the main focus of the episode when most of the attention was put on Mallow, but it didn't feel like an afterthought either. Learning Fire Blast from Stoutland was a lot more meaningful and heartfelt than I expected it be, so I was pretty happy about it and it gave Torracat a nice bit of focus in the mist of everything else going on in that episode.
It was definitely an emotional episode but I personally find it would have been improved had they eluded to the fact that Mallow’s mother had passed throughout the series. In Pokémon, we’ve become so used to most of the characters having only 1 parent that it didn’t really seem unusual that we only ever saw Mallow’s father with no mention of her mother. Compare that to Lillie and Gladion’s father with how the narrative of him built bit by bit leading to the reveal here that he’s lost but not dead thus giving a building plot and emotional payoff to what had come before.

It was definitely an emotional episode but I personally find it would have been improved had they eluded to the fact that Mallow’s mother had passed throughout the series. In Pokémon, we’ve become so used to most of the characters having only 1 parent that it didn’t really seem unusual that we only ever saw Mallow’s father with no mention of her mother. Compare that to Lillie and Gladion’s father with how the narrative of him built bit by bit leading to the reveal here that he’s lost but not dead thus giving a building plot and emotional payoff to what had come before.

That certainly would have helped. Losing a parent, especially at a young age, can be pretty traumatic and it was made worse with Mallow's last words to her mother. I can kind of see why they didn't do that. Focusing on death and grief even now and then for Mallow might not have worked for the general tone of SM and it might have been a bit too depressing for kids as well. It's the same reason why I don't think that they brought up Stoutland too often despite how much that loss affected Torracat. Plus, grief is a bit too much of a complicated emotional process for Pokemon to really tackle for a long period of time. They were able to convey the emotional impact grief can have through Mallow, as well as in Torracat during its capture episode, pretty impressively, but it isn't surprising that the they only dealt with that topic for a couple of episodes.

I honestly don't know how they could have addressed it beforehand without it feeling forced. You don't go to people's face and ask them about their dead parents, especially in a world were single parents are almost the norm. It's also not something I think most people would openly talk about, especially when said loss is surrounded by regrets.

Maybe they could have subtly hinted more at it, but anything beyond that would feel super unnatural and maybe even baity.

I honestly don't know how they could have addressed it beforehand without it feeling forced. You don't go to people's face and ask them about their dead parents, especially in a world were single parents are almost the norm. It's also not something I think most people would openly talk about, especially when said loss is surrounded by regrets.

Maybe they could have subtly hinted more at it, but anything beyond that would feel super unnatural and maybe even baity.
We had numerous points where we had flashbacks of Mallow when she was younger, we had an episode where Mallow was upset with her father pertaining to the restaurant at which point she could have made a statement of “if her mother was still there..”, we could have seen a picture of her mother at her home possibly with her in shadow, the list goes on. It doesn’t have to be told to another character, but to the audience as getting to know the characters is an important aspect of SoL.

Hell the episodes with Litten and Stoutland showed a subtlety of addressing death without outright saying it so there’s really no excuse especially if Mallow feeling guilt for what was the last thing she said to her mother is suddenly going to be something dropped on the audience.

We had numerous points where we had flashbacks of Mallow when she was younger, we had an episode where Mallow was upset with her father pertaining to the restaurant at which point she could have made a statement of “if her mother was still there..”, we could have seen a picture of her mother at her home possibly with her in shadow, the list goes on. It doesn’t have to be told to another character, but to the audience as getting to know the characters is an important aspect of SoL.

Hell the episodes with Litten and Stoutland showed a subtlety of addressing death without outright saying it so there’s really no excuse especially if Mallow feeling guilt for what was the last thing she said to her mother is suddenly going to be something dropped on the audience.
After either of Tsareena’s evolutions, they could’ve let Mallow say something like ‘she would be so proud’ as well.

Back
Top Bottom