• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Controversial opinions

Reaction score
Sure it isn't a bonus for you but it is for me. I don't necessarily disagree it was lazy writing on their part but since it finally gave Ash a Psychic and Fairy Pokemon after twenty years I don't really care.

Plus there were already hints it belonged to Ash way before Pokemon Journey
There was literally not a single hint within the series that it belonged to Ash. I’d also like to point out that the prospect of ‘I agree that it’s lazy writing but don’t care because it caters to me’ only makes the scenario look even worse.

Reaction score
There was literally not a single hint within the series that it belonged to Ash. I’d also like to point out that the prospect of ‘I agree that it’s lazy writing but don’t care because it caters to me’ only makes the scenario look even worse.
Not within the series but there have been official sources and websites that claimed Mimey as Ash's.

Reaction score
Not within the series but there have been official sources and websites that claimed Mimey as Ash's.
And there in lies the problem. That is a case of tell, don’t show. Nothing that occurred within the series or even anything that could be considered supplemental material makes that kind of confirmation, thus it can’t be cited nor can it be traced back to something to confirm it. It’s literally a case of ‘It’s true because I said so’ despite the burden of proof then falling on them to actually prove it. It’s insulting for longtime viewers and newer viewers alike because, at that point, they are saying that they could pull literally anything out of their asses and they don’t have to explain or prove anything.

Reaction score
None of those sources were directly related to the anime or the staff
Not true. One of the sources that showed Mr. Mime with the rest of Ash's caught Pokemon was the main Pokemon anime website. I don't have the exact link but it was posted around before and if the official Pokemon anime website isn't official then what is?

Administrator
Reaction score
That's still pretty bad and lazy. If they have to rely on outside sources to justify Mr. Mime being Ash's Pokemon instead of actually confirming it within the show itself, that's pretty bad writing. It would still be bad even if they had included a flashback just because there had been no indication within the anime for over twenty years that Ash caught Mr. Mime. Neither Ash or Mr. Mime are that excited to see each other whenever he comes back home, it has been associated with Delia since its debut and he never attempted to battle with Mr. Mime prior to Journeys. It is absolutely unbelievable that Ash wouldn't have used Mr. Mime in the Indigo League if he caught it back then. Admittedly, a flashback would at least provide more effort to the explanation than a tweet, but that doesn't say much either.

I can understand wanting Ash to get a Psychic and Fairy type, but wouldn't it be more meaningful to actually see him bond with Pokemon of said types and see him catch them instead of giving him a random retcon Mr. Mime? There are plenty of Pokemon that I wish Ash could catch, but having them be caught off screen or retcon into being his Pokemon wouldn't really make me happy or at the very least sour the experience for me. I'm still not sure if it was really worthwhile to do that with Mr. Mime either. I don't think it has really done much in Journeys beyond its miming gag and one battle and I think most of Ash's new captures have gotten more attention lately too.

T.R.U.T.H.兵士課、第13支部の軍人・ラミィ・アッザべル
Reaction score
It isn't a plothole exactly, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Why wait so long to show that Mr. Mime was indeed caught by Ash? Sure, his mother isn't a trainer, but Mr. Mime could have just wanted to stay without being captured. We've seen that with other Pokemon and it would make way more sense than Ash catching it off screen and never using it for twenty years. I really like the Detective Pikachu movie, but I'm not a fan of basically retconning Mr. Mime's personality to make it more akin to that version of Mr. Mime. If this was a brand new Mr. Mime, then it would be fine. It would still feel like a blatant attempt at trying to make Mr. Mime more popular within the anime, but it wouldn't feel so forced and jarring. They just should have given Ash his own Mr. Mime instead of making such a strange retcon.
I don't think we should go by the "Barrierd was Satoshi's Pokemon all along" scenario. From what I understand the whole off-screen capture thing was a retcon already, but one that brought no inconsistency to the show. I kind of doubt the writers back in Kanto considered it as Satoshi's Pokemon to be honest.

I completely agree that they should've added a flashback-ish scene of Barrierd's capture, for a better explanation and some well deserved past reference, but I can see how the writers didn't bother to include one as the show's target audience nowadays probably doesn't even know where this Pokemon came from.

Pokémon Master in the making!
Reaction score
I always just assumed Ash caught it for his mom and he didn’t use it for battles since the only thing Mimey was interested in was Delia, but now that Delia has ordered it to watch after and stay with Ash, him using it makes sense, at least in my opinion.

Reaction score
I always just assumed Ash caught it for his mom and he didn’t use it for battles since the only thing Mimey was interested in was Delia, but now that Delia has ordered it to watch after and stay with Ash, him using it makes sense, at least in my opinion.
Why would that assumption even exist when the series has shown numerous times that people have wild Pokémon living with them that they have never caught them? Hell for a major character, Kukui basically had Rockruff as a part of his household and it was wild the whole time until Ash caught it. So I’m not really understanding where people coming out of the woodwork with statements like that would have ever had a basis for that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There's also the fact that openings (which are more accessible than those webpages) had multiple scenes with Ash's reserves and Mimey was absent in ALL of them as well as in the BW picture, and was never shown being commanded by Ash before that episode. I highly doubt it's not a retcon.

This, too, shall pass...
Reaction score
That's how I explain it in-universe even though I think it's pretty unlikely that was the idea at the time.

Reaction score
That's how I explain it in-universe even though I think it's pretty unlikely that was the idea at the time.
Fans should never have to create their own canon to justify an asspull. At that point, you’re just justifying bad writing and the writers insulting your intelligence as a viewer by thinking that they can just pull anything and it’ll just be eaten up even when it runs counter to the narrative of the overall series. This whole thing could have easily been resolved without any problems if they had just listed it among Pokémon that were temporarily used by Ash, which would make more sense seeing as his mother told Mimey to look after Ash for her, rather then belonging to him especially since beyond that single use, it hasn’t been used by Ash again nor has it been listed as a member of his team in anything that’s covered his growing team this series.

This, too, shall pass...
Reaction score
Fans should never have to create their own canon to justify an asspull. At that point, you’re just justifying bad writing and the writers insulting your intelligence as a viewer by thinking that they can just pull anything and it’ll just be eaten up even when it runs counter to the narrative of the overall series. This whole thing could have easily been resolved without any problems if they had just listed it among Pokémon that were temporarily used by Ash, which would make more sense seeing as his mother told Mimey to look after Ash for her, rather then belonging to him especially since beyond that single use, it hasn’t been used by Ash again nor has it been listed as a member of his team in anything that’s covered his growing team this series.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think there being a possible explanation makes it less sloppy, but I like to have some sort of in-universe answer for questions like that.
I used to spend a lot of time in the Star Trek fandom, it's a habit. ;)

Reaction score
Hoping that Ash uses Mimey against Raihan in the future.
Given that it’s never listed as a member of Ash’s team every time they bring up his current team, I’m pretty sure the use in that tournament was meant to be a one-off thing because Ash only had Pikachu with him at the time and they didn’t want to bring in any reserves. So I really wouldn’t hold my breath.

Aqua Ninja Frog
Reaction score
Given that it’s never listed as a member of Ash’s team every time they bring up his current team, I’m pretty sure the use in that tournament was meant to be a one-off thing because Ash only had Pikachu with him at the time and they didn’t want to bring in any reserves. So I really wouldn’t hold my breath.
That makes sense.

Reaction score
For now. We'll see if Ash ever uses Mimey again for battle

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
I think that the main reasons why his goal doesn't bother me as much right now boils down to how Goh himself is still pretty likable, he still clearly cares about his Pokemon and it does remind me of how I catch Pokemon by a certain point in the main series. Goh catching everything left and right with Pokeballs reminded me of how I was doing basically the same thing when I first got to the Isle of Armor. Going on a capture spree to find even older Pokemon is quite fun. Like I said before, this is a video game element that doesn't quite work within the anime, but I think it's harder for me to get that upset about it when I think of how I capture Pokemon too.
Our opinions are probably different here since I grew up watching the anime, and when I finally recently got to play my first ever main series game (Platinum), I ended up not going on a catching spree. I had the core 6 Pokemon, the gifts like Eevee/Togepi/Riolu, special captures like Rotom and just one/two Pokémon that I wasn’t sure I could use like Budew and Swinub. I didn’t care about completing the Pokedex element of those games at all.

The way people play the games could influence their opinion on Go. Since I never went through those catching sprees (except in Pokémon Go itself, but it’s a necessity there and like you said, it still takes effort to actually make a Pokémon useful there, and I’m still not a fan of dumping an individual Pokémon aspect of the game) I found Go's effortless catching pretty uncanny.

I think you should wait till the Raboot episodes, and the Dragonite and Gengar episodes since they provide a clearer picture of why people don’t like Go or think his flaws didn’t matter much.

Administrator
Reaction score
Our opinions are probably different here since I grew up watching the anime, and when I finally recently got to play my first ever main series game (Platinum), I ended up not going on a catching spree. I had the core 6 Pokemon, the gifts like Eevee/Togepi/Riolu, special captures like Rotom and just one/two Pokémon that I wasn’t sure I could use like Budew and Swinub. I didn’t care about completing the Pokedex element of those games at all.

The way people play the games could influence their opinion on Go. Since I never went through those catching sprees (except in Pokémon Go itself, but it’s a necessity there and like you said, it still takes effort to actually make a Pokémon useful there, and I’m still not a fan of dumping an individual Pokémon aspect of the game) I found Go's effortless catching pretty uncanny.
Admittedly, I'm not that huge on completing the Pokedex myself. I've never really done it before, although I'm tempted to do so in this generation just so I can get the Shiny Charm for once. When I first got Silver, I relied entirely on my Typhlosion and the Legendary Pokemon like Lugia. I still have a core team with each game, but I also like exploring each route to capture whatever Pokemon are available. It's a fun way to immerse myself into the game some more, find more potential team members and battle alongside my Pokemon. It isn't necessarily the highlight of my journeys. Battling, story moments and character interactions usually stand out a lot more to me. The Isle of Armor just reminded me of how much fun it is to capture Pokemon after spending the past few months doing almost nothing but Max Raid Battle. I love Max Raid Battles. I've found more Shiny Pokemon in this generation than the other generations combined entirely because of Max Raid Battles, but exploring new areas to find Pokemon, even just older ones, was a lot more fun than I initially expected when I started the DLC.

Like I mentioned earlier, I don't think that the Pokemon Go style of capturing works within the context of the anime and Goh definitely gets these captures way too easily, so I do understand and agree with most of the complaints surrounding Goh's goal. It also doesn't help that catching more Pokemon to get to Mew doesn't really make sense, although that might not be that big of a problem if there was more of a reason as to why Goh wants Mew specifically. I'm just not that upset about in partly because it does remind me of how I play the video game and I think that they are generally trying to make captures more akin to the video games in this series for some reason, at least as far as Goh is concerned.

PkmnTrainerV said:
I think you should wait till the Raboot episodes, and the Dragonite and Gengar episodes since they provide a clearer picture of why people don’t like Go or think his flaws didn’t matter much.
I binged watched the rest of the episodes on Netflix, so out of that list I've seen the Dragonite episode. I'm not too surprised that Goh got some backlash for that episode in particular, but at the same time, I don't think it was warranted. Goh not showing more visible concern over Dewong wasn't really because he didn't care about it, especially when there were examples before and afterwards showing that he does care about his Pokemon, but more like a justification for why Ash and Goh were stuck on the island until Team Rocket showed up. Even using up all of his Pokeballs in frustration to capture Dewong was most likely so that Ash would be the only one to catch one of the Dragon Pokemon from Dragonite Island. Although, that needs to happen more often if they really do want to mimic the Pokemon Go capture style.

To be clear, I'm not too surprised that Goh isn't that well received for a few reasons. While the goal itself and how it has been handled are big factors, it also doesn't help that he is the only other character aside from Ash who has any noteworthy screentime and Ash didn't get a goal until about three months into the series' run either. Having more characters in the main cast wouldn't necessarily make him better received, but there would be more characters for the audience to find engaging. If you don't like Ash or Goh, then you're just kind of out of luck. Based on what I what little I have seen, Goh is still likable. This could still change since I'm still relatively early into Journeys, but Goh has made a good first impression and despite my issues with his goal, he's still basically fine. He's not perfect by any means, but I don't have a major problem with him at the moment either.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
binged watched the rest of the episodes on Netflix, so out of that list I've seen the Dragonite episode. I'm not too surprised that Goh got some backlash for that episode in particular, but at the same time, I don't think it was warranted. Goh not showing more visible concern over Dewong wasn't really because he didn't care about it, especially when there were examples before and afterwards showing that he does care about his Pokemon, but more like a justification for why Ash and Goh were stuck on the island until Team Rocket showed up. Even using up all of his Pokeballs in frustration to capture Dewong was most likely so that Ash would be the only one to catch one of the Dragon Pokemon from Dragonite Island. Although, that needs to happen more often if they really do want to mimic the Pokemon Go capture style.
Personally Dewgong was not the only issue. It was partially played off for laughs so it won’t make a complete point on its own anyway, I was more baffled by the fact that Go should've learnt that randomly throwing balls on a Pokémon does not guarantee a capture, but right in the next few episodes he does the exact same thing he did with Dewgong. In restrospect it’s even a bit baffling since in one of the recent Japanese episodes Go is talking about using his "precious" Pokeball (I’m not sure since I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch the Sobble episode yet but I read it in the episode review).

It’s just that his mistakes aren’t affecting him long term in any way till the more recent episodes and the Raboot arc was a mess, and that mess hasn’t paid off since Raboot is just a background character these days.

The issue with Go is that we see inkling of development but that development usually Gous away as soon as the next episode so he doesn’t face any problems for longer than an episode.

Administrator
Reaction score
Personally Dewgong was not the only issue. It was partially played off for laughs so it won’t make a complete point on its own anyway, I was more baffled by the fact that Go should've learnt that randomly throwing balls on a Pokémon does not guarantee a capture, but right in the next few episodes he does the exact same thing he did with Dewgong. In restrospect it’s even a bit baffling since in one of the recent Japanese episodes Go is talking about using his "precious" Pokeball (I’m not sure since I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch the Sobble episode yet but I read it in the episode review).

It’s just that his mistakes aren’t affecting him long term in any way till the more recent episodes and the Raboot arc was a mess, and that mess hasn’t paid off since Raboot is just a background character these days.

The issue with Go is that we see inkling of development but that development usually Gous away as soon as the next episode so he doesn’t face any problems for longer than an episode.
It's hard for me to take the whole Goh throwing all of his Pokeballs as a sign that his mistakes aren't affecting him long term. Doing that with Dewgong also came off as being a bit more comical given Goh's facial expressions. Since he doesn't seem to carry a lot of Pokemon on him besides Raboot frequently, he also most likely didn't have a Pokemon on him that could have battled Dewgong. Besides that, it still felt more like they wanted to make sure Goh wouldn't be able to capture more Pokemon while they were on the island so that Ash bonding and then catching his own Dragonite could standout more than if Goh was also able to capture the whole Dratini evolution line in the same episode. Not to mention Goh having other Pokemon on hand might have prevented from Dragonite saving Ash near the end as well.

Maybe this will be more apparent or a bigger issue in later episodes, but I just couldn't really take this as an indication that Goh doesn't develop or learn from his mistakes, especially when I imagine he still isn't that into battling Pokemon. The context of the Dewgong situation just doesn't make me think it's a big deal that he keeps throwing Pokeballs after it doesn't work the first time. While I can't judge stuff like the Raboot arc or Sobble's capture, the scenes I've seen don't give off a bad impression, but it probably also helps that I wasn't that upset over the notion of Goh capturing Sobble in the first place either.