• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Even with Riolu around, after Kubfu and it's split evo were announced I was sure we'd get an Isle of Armor arc where both Ash and Gou got received their own Kubfu that would be used to show off both Urshifu forms.
Either that or have it be closer to the games where Mustard already had one Urshifu form with Ash getting the other.

Still, I think that Riolu and Kubfu on the same team would've been repetitive due to how similar the two Pokemon are in not just type, but also general design and premise, and that's why Ash ultimately didn't get the latter. That said, even if my suspicions Ash not getting Kubfu because of Riolu are indeed true, I think it would've been much better to showcase the Urshifu forms with Mustard and Honey rather than with random anime OCs. Granted, it's entirely possible that those characters will be revealed to have gotten their Urshifus from Mustard's dojo and were raised from Kubfus, which imo would make things a bit better.

While we're on the subject of the DLC

Am I the only one who finds it odd that Calyrex hasn't debuted yet?
It's not even in the OP.

I know Galar got fucked over You'd at least think they'd debut a LEGENDARY before this Generation is over?
Come to think of it, the unicorns would fit right at home with Sirfetch’d’s knight theme.

I know Galar got fucked over but You'd at least think they'd debut a LEGENDARY before this Generation is over?
Seeing how they are handling things right now.....

Not really, they may make more useless/undesirable fillers instead.

I would like to see Badorex in the anime, but its chances are very slim to none.

It's not even in the OP.

I know Galar got fucked over but You'd at least think they'd debut a LEGENDARY before this Generation is over?
One would think. But, seeing as how this is Journeys we're talking about, you know they'll probably just stuff everything related to the Crown Tundra into a hastily made mess, Calyrex included. (Especially since interest in Gen 8 is probably winding down.)

Last edited:
Most of the remaining Galar pokemon will continue to debut into next gen, like we always see old gen pokemon in new sagas, we'll see every pokemon in at least one ep eventually. As for Kubfu for Ash no thanks, the last thing I want is Ash overloaded with fighting pokemon and battle wise it would see too similar to Lucario. Sir'fetch'd at least has a different fighting style visual wise.

We have absolutely zero clue how man Gen VIII mons will be in SV and little reason to believe any of them will get actual focus.
What does that have to do with the anime? We see old pokemon in the wild or owned by other trainers each series when they're not in the games. We saw Hoenn and Johto pokemon in the wild in Kanto in the Battle Frontier arc, we saw old pokemon in Unova that weren't available to capture in the games at the time. You really think most of the remaining Galar pokemon will never debut if we don't see them by the end of the year? We'll see them continue to appear in random eps next series like we always do with old pokemon in new gens.

We have absolutely zero clue how man Gen VIII mons will be in SV and little reason to believe any of them will get actual focus.
Quite a lot of Alolan Pokémon (if not nearly all of them) made it into the Galar Region (including the Starters and even the Ultra Beasts)

It's a safe bet to say that most Galar Pokémon will make it into PokeSpain

It's not even in the OP.

Calyrex would usually be a Pokémon to toss into a movie but like..the movies are AU and also not yearly anymore because COVID screwed up the whole release pattern. JN can only do so much on top of having to juggle DP representation and all those old legendaries. Like I know JN has issues but doing all that plus the PWC and Project Mew with less than a year to go it kinda just has the deck stacked against in that regard unfortunately so I don't think it's solely it's fault

Yeah I think the lack of movies was the reason most of the new legendaries haven't been featured yet. We most likely would have gotten a movie about the Crown Tundra legends if Covid didn't happen.

My biggest complaint about Journeys is the way the Pokemon are handled.

Ash, Goh, and Chloe are mostly fine.

But Tbh i think there would be far less complaints about Journeys if they would just let the Pokemon interact. And give them more screentime
Same here. If Ash's pokemon just appeared a little more in fillers or interacted the way that past teams did that is one of the things I would change. I'm pretty indifferent to everything else since every past season has the same flaws with handling main characters.

I'm putting this one here because I don't know where else to put it lol, but this came up in another thread and figured it would be worth saying:

I feel like a big mistake by the writers part in XY/XYZ was to incorporate public voting in Pokémon Showcases. Honestly? Probably the worst aspect of Showcases, frankly. I've always found that dumb af, because it basically turns the whole thing from a serious competition where all aspects of the perfomance, perfomer and Pokémon are evaluated into what is basically a popularity contest.

And I firmly believe that the ultimate example of that was Serena X Aria. Like, I know Serena wouldn't have won the Kalos Queen position on her first try, but it personally sucks to me that, to basically everybody who watches it, Serena's performance was better in essentially every aspect than Aria's, but considering the latter won because of the public, it gives off the vibe that Aria only won because she just happened to be more popular and well-known than Serena was, so the sheer majority of people who liked Aria were gonna vote for her regadless of how well anybody else potentially did. The quality itself of her perfomance being completely ignored in favor of her popularity.

And this sucks.

I'm putting this one here because I don't know where else to put it lol, but this came up in another thread and figured it would be worth saying:

I feel like a big mistake by the writers part in XY/XYZ was to incorporate public voting in Pokémon Showcases. Honestly? Probably the worst aspect of Showcases, frankly. I've always found that dumb af, because it basically turns the whole thing from a serious competition where all aspects of the perfomance, perfomer and Pokémon are evaluated into what is basically a popularity contest.

And I firmly believe that the ultimate example of that was Serena X Aria. Like, I know Serena wouldn't have won the Kalos Queen position on her first try, but it personally sucks to me that, to basically everybody who watches it, Serena's performance was better in essentially every aspect than Aria's, but considering the latter won because of the public, it gives off the vibe that Aria only won because she just happened to be more popular and well-known than Serena was, so the sheer majority of people who liked Aria were gonna vote for her regadless of how well anybody else potentially did. The quality itself of her perfomance being completely ignored in favor of her popularity.

And this sucks.
That has always been one of the huge problems for Showcases for me. Admittedly, I don't think Showcase worked well in general. Even at their best, they came off as a poor man's version of Contest appeals, but basically making them a popularity contest was a terrible idea. Skills or the quality of the performance didn't really matter. If the crowd enjoyed something that wasn't as good or they just really liked a certain Performer, then that would give them the edge. That was one reason why Showcases never came off as particularly impressive to me. They kept trying to make it sound like getting three Princess Keys and getting to the Master Class required a lot of hard work, but when each Showcase is more about popularity than anything else, it doesn't make getting to the Master Class sound or look all that difficult to me.

Visual wise the performances of showcases were really nice. But yeah the scoring system needed to be much better.

And this sucks.
I mean they only showed like a few shots of Aria's performance. It was mostly focusing on Serena commentating on her performance. So it's not really a fair comparison

Also didn't Serena say something about how Aria focuses on making the audience smile and have fun like a performer. While Serena was more.focused on herself and her pokemon. The thing that she lacked that Aria didn't.

And yeah public voting was just a bad idea for showcases. Especially because we just know that ash, Bonnie, and clemont are gonna vote for her no matter what. Even if her performance was mediocre. It honestly could of led to some interesting conflict. Like what if clemont or ash decided to vote for someone else, and that made Serena upset?I mean that wasn't going to happen, but it would of been an interesting plot point.

Also nice to meet everyone. I'm new here

I mean they only showed like a few shots of Aria's performance. It was mostly focusing on Serena commentating on her performance. So it's not really a fair comparison
And that's the main issue. As we didn't saw Aria's perfomance as a whole, it's obvious we'll prefer Serena's because hers looks a lot better in comparision. So, to the out-of-universe viewer (in this case, us), it seems unfair that Aria won when Serena just performed objectively better than her.

Compare it to Dawn x Zoey: yeah, pretty much everybody would've prefered for Dawn to have won, but as we've seen what Zoey was capable of doing, both on the final battle as well as the other times we've seen her, it never felt unearned that Zoey won, even if the viewer would've favored Dawn over her.

It was a shot in the foot by the writers, really.

And that's the main issue. As we didn't saw Aria's perfomance as a whole, it's obvious we'll prefer Serena's because hers looks a lot better in comparision. So, to the out-of-universe viewer (in this case, us), it seems unfair that Aria won when Serena just performed objectively better than her.

Compare it to Dawn x Zoey: yeah, pretty much everybody would've prefered for Dawn to have won, but as we've seen what Zoey was capable of doing, both on the final battle as well as the other times we've seen her, it never felt unearned that Zoey won, even if the viewer would've favored Dawn over her.

It was a shot in the foot by the writers, really.
True. It also sucks because Serena's other rivals weren't even much of a challenge for her. I'm hesitant to even call them rivals.

I thought Shauna would be kinda like her "Zoey". But she was pretty much irrelevant after introducing her to showcases. What's worse is that her performances were just repetitive. With the whole Bulbasaur vinewhip thing she constantly used. Although Serena was repetitive too

Back
Top Bottom