• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I mean even the Aether arc itself was only 5-6 eps if I remember right. (If you don't count the filler inbetween)in-between.

The writers haven't had a villain team arc stretched through a series since Team Galactic. They now do it all at once at the very end of a series like Team Flare or in the first year of the series.

I mean even the Aether arc itself was only 5-6 eps if I remember right. (If you don't count the filler inbetween)in-between.

The writers haven't had a villain team arc stretched through a series since Team Galactic. They now do it all at once at the very end of a series like Team Flare or in the first year of the series.
At least with the Aether arc what happened in that arc wasn't forgotten after the fact and with Team Flare they had build up with the Mega Evolution Special and some showing in XY before the arc started.

The Team Flare arc isn't a good example. Not only did use the Mega Evolution specials to buildup to their debut in the anime proper, but they had plenty of appearances during XY's last year before getting to their climax. It wasn't stretched out throughout the series exactly like what they did with Team Galactic, but they did provide more buildup and setup than they did with the Darkest Day plot and that probably helped to make the Team Flare arc work more effectively in the long run.

While the Aether arc had more episodes and time to breathe than the Darkest Day arc did, I think it was a weaker arc. Or at least I thought it was more frustrating. I didn't really care for how they handled Lusamine's characterization, they did an especially bad job of capturing the conflict between Lillie and Lusamine and it felt like they were trying too hard to make SM Lillie more like her video game counterpart when her story and personality were too different to really fit in that same mold by that point. The Darkest Day arc wasn't perfect by any means, but I thought it was fun.

Team Flare and the Aether Foundation are terrible examples. The former had an arc that ran over a 30 episode period. And while the latter did happen in the first year, it was still three times longer than the DD arc. Also, unlike the DD arc, the events of the Aether actually stayed relevant for the rest of the show. Meanwhile in Journeys Rose escaped and they've done nothing with this potential sequel hook.

Team Flare and the Aether Foundation are terrible examples. The former had an arc that ran over a 30 episode period. And while the latter did happen in the first year, it was still three times longer than the DD arc. Also, unlike the DD arc, the events of the Aether actually stayed relevant for the rest of the show. Meanwhile in Journeys Rose escaped and they've done nothing with this potential sequel hook.
Besides rose possibly returning what else is there to stay relevant? Leon, Raihan, and Sonia were parts of the arc and all returned through the series.

If the Wolves return one more time that will be fine, but it's not really necessary since their roles are done. The arc was self-contained.

Besides rose possibly returning what else is there to stay relevant? Leon, Raihan, and Sonia were parts of the arc and all returned through the series.

If the Wolves return one more time that will be fine, but it's not really necessary since their roles are done. The arc was self-contained.
Aside from Sonia being the new Galar region professional and that brief flashback where Goh was thinking about his adventures in Galar when the Galar data was stolen from the lab, the Darkest Day arc didn't have a huge impact on the story or characters, which I think is the main problem with comparing it to the Aether arc. Leon and Raihan showed up, but they were already established prior to that arc and I don't think that their involvement in the arc impacted their roles or personalities afterwards either. The arc being self-contained isn't necessarily a bad thing. I still think that the arc generally worked, but comparing it to the Aether and Team Flare arcs doesn't quite work when both of them had more long lasting effects i the anime.

I don't know if I wanted them to bring Rose back. That could have been interesting, especially if they tied it in with Peony, but after they skipped over the first portion of DLC for Sword/Shield, I figured that they wouldn't bring him back.

And it shouldn't have been. It should have been the climax of JN something that should had happened before, during or after the Master 8 after being build up to that point. They done this with Team Flare they could had done it here.

Its very unlikely Larvitar will ever be referenced, especially at this point, I think I would've preferred Ash catching the one he had befriended back in Johto, rather than catch Dragonite. Don't get me wrong I like his Dragonite more than I do the other members of his current party, but with Iris and Lance in the picture you already have two people with their own. Not to mention you have Alain and Leon with Charizard and Cynthia with her Garchomp, which is way too many dragons. So why not let Ash stand out with a bulky, but slow, Tyranitar? And considering the way the two had bonded before Tyranitar easily could've been affectionate like Dragonite, although likely only to Ash and Pikachu.

Its very unlikely Larvitar will ever be referenced, especially at this point, I think I would've preferred Ash catching the one he had befriended back in Johto, rather than catch Dragonite. Don't get me wrong I like his Dragonite more than I do the other members of his current party, but with Iris and Lance in the picture you already have two people with their own. Not to mention you have Alain and Leon with Charizard and Cynthia with her Garchomp, which is way too many dragons. So why not let Ash stand out with a bulky, but slow, Tyranitar? And considering the way the two had bonded before Tyranitar easily could've been affectionate like Dragonite, although likely only to Ash and Pikachu.
Well, Dragonite was caught in that awkward period when Journeys was allergic to continuity, so I doubt they would be willing to squeeze Larvitar in then. But true, it would have been a very sweet addition.

Honestly had Ash captured Larvitar in Johto it would have been left behind when AG started, so it would have been treated like Gible has. Unfortunately it probably never would have evolved and just been wasted potential.

To this day i wonder if the writers regret having Ash capture Gible at the end of DP because they literally did nothing with it since DP ended. I always thought it was weird because it was Ash's first dragon type, we have Iris introduced the season after, Garchomp is highly popular due to Cynthia, and we just have Gible there. Very weird to me.

Donno about Larvitar.. it could be very wierd if Ash was traveling and instead of collecting a new team he would put Larvitar, Haunter, Rotom.. or even Squirtle, Primeape, Lapras..

If being nostalgic without thw obvious aces he got over the years, would prefer if he finaly got the chance to catch dunsparce.. give him a place in 6 for the closer..

Anyway, the next episode will decide if Dracovish was a good add on to the team..
let just hope he wont fall as quickly as Iris-Dragonite

To this day i wonder if the writers regret having Ash capture Gible at the end of DP because they literally did nothing with it since DP ended. I always thought it was weird because it was Ash's first dragon type, we have Iris introduced the season after, Garchomp is highly popular due to Cynthia, and we just have Gible there. Very weird to me.
I doubt that they regret giving Ash a Gible. Or at least I don't think that it's a huge issue for the writers. The most they believably could have done with Gible during that last stretch of DP was to have it evolve into Gabite and even that would have probably been pushing it. There wasn't any storage of Garchomp promotion during and after DP, so not giving Ash his own Garchomp probably wasn't a huge issue in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway, I finally caught up with the dub on Netflix. Despite my major issues with the series, I still don't think Journeys is a bad series. I can understand why it has received so much backlash and I've agreed with plenty of those complaints too. Stuff like the PWC, the terrible pacing, the handle of the Galar starters, the minimal amount of Galar representation in general, Ash's team, the lack of progress for Dawn's character, Chloe's lack of screentime/focus and the lack of a proper main female lead frustrates me to no end. Even so, I also think that most episodes are still pretty enjoyable and there are still plenty of good elements to the series too. Admittedly, it might help that I also like Goh and his relationship with Ash. Journeys is more frustrating rather than plain bad mostly because I think a lot of its problems come down to how the series was structured. I still think the series being too fast paced for its own good is the main root cause of its other problems. Better pacing might not have fixed everything, but I think it would have done a world of good for the series. I'm not sure where I'd rank it among the other series just yet, but I'd still rank it above BW easily.

I doubt that they regret giving Ash a Gible. Or at least I don't think that it's a huge issue for the writers. The most they believably could have done with Gible during that last stretch of DP was to have it evolve into Gabite and even that would have probably been pushing it. There wasn't any storage of Garchomp promotion during and after DP, so not giving Ash his own Garchomp probably wasn't a huge issue in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway, I finally caught up with the dub on Netflix. Despite my major issues with the series, I still don't think Journeys is a bad series. I can understand why it has received so much backlash and I've agreed with plenty of those complaints too. Stuff like the PWC, the terrible pacing, the handle of the Galar starters, the minimal amount of Galar representation in general, Ash's team, the lack of progress for Dawn's character, Chloe's lack of screentime/focus and the lack of a proper main female lead frustrates me to no end. Even so, I also think that most episodes are still pretty enjoyable and there are still plenty of good elements to the series too. Admittedly, it might help that I also like Goh and his relationship with Ash. Journeys is more frustrating rather than plain bad mostly because I think a lot of its problems come down to how the series was structured. I still think the series being too fast paced for its own good is the main root cause of its other problems. Better pacing might not have fixed everything, but I think it would have done a world of good for the series. I'm not sure where I'd rank it among the other series just yet, but I'd still rank it above BW easily.
Well ranking above BW isn't much of an accomplishment, but then again I haven't watched BW in a while so can't say much on that

JN isn't bad series but it's more mid. I think JN gets alot of criticism is because it had the potential to be the best series or one of the best. World tour, ash catching fan favorite, character comebacks, duo protagonist, pwc, etc. Yet the series had handled those elements either badly or just not to it's full potential. So it's so frustrating because you can see nuggets of a truly terrific series. Yes even one that can surpass XY, do ,etc. Yet they fumbled the ball hard. Sometimes something that has watsed potential is harder than. Something that is outright bad. Because you had hope

The reason Gible feels odd is they tacked it on to the end of DP and they know the potential it had as an evolution but never did anything with it. Besides maybe Scraggy, it's Ash's oldest pokemon with the most wasted potential compared to what could of been.

Wait.....are there people who actually think Amourshipping is like pedophilia??!? Hooooooooooooooow??? It's not pedophilia at alllll. And that episode where Serena dressed up as Ash? I honestly thought that was adorable and that episode ranks as one of my favorite filler episodes in the entire Pokemon anime.
Wha.... Ash and Serena are the same age. Why are people thinking this counts as pedophilia? Are people saying this on twitter or something because this is the first i'm hearing of this?

I really would like to not have to discuss this either, but it's shipping in general for whatever reason that apparently has this stigma. Up until this decade I thought the only issue people had with shippers is that they base pairing off the flimsiest details or treat their headcanon as fanon.

And I would like any other poster to chime in cause it would really help to have more understanding.

But my thoughts on why this is a stigma as well as the flaw of it.

1. One UK poster I came a across mentioned in their country that dating isn't an activity thus the only thing couples do are more private intimate activities.

Ace Trainer Liam even voices that disgust.

So maybe some cultures don't have the more family friendly types of romance?

2. I don't know, I think some people let their cynicism get to them. Like as they get older, they forget that relationships of such nature aren't just about the more steamy nature, even managing to forget that official kid friendly stuff has said characters not being so romantically shy. Charlie Brown, Hey Arnold and Avatar The Last Airbender to name some.

3. And yeah there are other reasons to not care for shipping which is cool, but if one suggests that we should avoid it in order to present ourselves in a non-sleazy manner?

Then shouldn't any adult fans of varying ages avoid the official franchise or anime in general. Especially the early seasons which despite being made by professionals and deemed appropriate for kids around the world?

Fan service shots of Misty in Samurai Showdown, Battle Aboard the St. Anne and Dig Those Digletts.

Jokes of older characters making sleazy in School of Hard Knocks, Beauty and the Beach, A Chansey Operation, Navel Manuever (if you go by Dogasu's assessment of Danny) and A Double Trouble Header.

The first two and the final one had jokes that couldn't be translated, but still giving the vibe of something being wrong and the 3rd and 4th case still come off as iffy even in the English.

I would especially like to hear how shipping which can be expressed in a safe manner is somehow worse that the official anime which is deemed completely safe for kids, but has moments which are undebateably sleazy.

Back
Top Bottom