• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

You do realize Pokemon (for the first time) wasn't in the top 100 anime poll last year? Likewise, look at it's ratings. The anime's popularity has never been lower than it has right now.

Have you accounted for the fact that television ratings in themselves are decreasing due to the rise of streaming websites, YouTube and the like?

Which poll are you talking about? There are so many of them. The first one on google lists Pokémon at #79.

The series does have its fair share of fans. I just fine 'no one likes it' a huge stretch when you find a lot of positive reviews in the review threads on these very forums.

Have you accounted for the fact that television ratings in themselves are decreasing due to the rise of streaming websites, YouTube and the like?

Which poll are you talking about? There are so many of them. The first one on google lists Pokémon at #79.

The series does have its fair share of fans. I just fine 'no one likes it' a huge stretch when you find a lot of positive reviews in the review threads on these very forums.

I think it's the Tokyo anime awards? I'm sure someone can fill me in on this one, but it was the first time that Pokemon was absent from the list. And i'm obviously not saying that nobody likes it. The show still earns modest ratings, but you can't deny that it could be doing a lot better. Especially if it was more akin to Sinnoh, and less like Yokai Watch.

And of course there is an argument regarding falling tv-ratings. However, Pokemon never had a high ceiling like; say, One-piece or Dragon Ball. Those shows have fallen just as hard as Pokemon, however, they're still rating considerably higher, so the effects isn't as adverse. What i'm saying is that Pokemon cannot afford to fall like these other shows have. And just because people are viewing television far less in japan, it doesn't necessarily explain why there is a downturn to a show's popularity. Detective Conan is more popular now than it was 10 years ago (proving that an upturn is there). Regardless, the only way we can really be sure if Sun and Moon had an adverse effect on the show's popularity in Japan is when Sword and Shield is finally released.

The problem with Sun and Moon is that it shows us how disorganized the anime's direction has become. Even if I ignore that for a moment, the show essentially tried to copy Yokai Watch. However, the problem is that it was 2 years too late. By the time Sun and Moon came onto the scene, Yokai Watch had already declined in huge numbers and so there wasn't an overlap of audiences. Likewise, The whole premise undermines Ash's entire journey, while at the same time trivializing it. For all the hate that Best Wishes received, at least it followed the Pokemon formula. You could watch Diamond and pearl, then Best Wishes, then XY and see some sort of progression. Whereas, you can't do that here. You can't just finish XY, then watch Sun and Moon and feel like you're following Ash's journey, because you're not anymore. You're watching him in a freaking school. I also think the show-runners should be blamed for this, because they're acknowledging the show's formula doesn't work anymore. Which is an idea covered in fallacy considering every sustaining show in Japan has stayed true to its roots (detective conan, Dragon Ball, etc).

The only good thing that can come from this is that nobody ended up liking Sun and Moon. Japan has rejected it, the west has rejected it and while the show-runners are becoming borderline incompetent, even they cannot ignore this substantial rejection. Anyway, on-ward to Galar!
I haven't seen Yo-kai Watch, but what aspect of it are you assuming Pokémon is trying to cpy? Because I think that you're just making a stretch.
I think it's the Tokyo anime awards? I'm sure someone can fill me in on this one, but it was the first time that Pokemon was absent from the list. And i'm obviously not saying that nobody likes it. The show still earns modest ratings, but you can't deny that it could be doing a lot better. Especially if it was more akin to Sinnoh, and less like Yokai Watch.

And of course there is an argument regarding falling tv-ratings. However, Pokemon never had a high ceiling like; say, One-piece or Dragon Ball. Those shows have fallen just as hard as Pokemon, however, they're still rating considerably higher, so the effects isn't as adverse. What i'm saying is that Pokemon cannot afford to fall like these other shows have. And just because people are viewing television far less in japan, it doesn't necessarily explain why there is a downturn to a show's popularity. Detective Conan is more popular now than it was 10 years ago (proving that an upturn is there). Regardless, the only way we can really be sure if Sun and Moon had an adverse effect on the show's popularity in Japan is when Sword and Shield is finally released.
Stretching again. The Pokémon anime still has a ton of fans, a lot of which are in the silent majority who don't voice their opinions in the internet or otherwise. I even know a Pokétuber who ended up liking the Sun & Moon slice-of-life premise a lot, despite his low expectations.

You do realize Pokemon (for the first time) wasn't in the top 100 anime poll last year? Likewise, look at it's ratings. The anime's popularity has never been lower than it has right now.

The main issue was the time slot switch. Before then, the rankings (the better indicator of the show's popularity), and even the ratings were, on average, higher than the rankings and ratings of the later episodes of XYZ. Before the time slot switch, Sun and Moon were routinely in the Top 10, whereas with XYZ, it was hit or miss. The show only really dropped out of the Top 10 rankings after the time slot switch, which was also after a major arc in the series. Now I will say that there is an issue. Given what I've heard here and on other forums, I would postulate that the Sun and Moon animé is not as popular with Pokémon fans worldwide as previous sagas were, though I believe that the main reason for that is that with Ash's loss in the Kalos League, many fans realized that he'll never win a League and that they shouldn't bother watching an animé about someone who will never win when it matters, especially since winning the Championship is the goal of the games. I also think that the animé writers will have some thinking to do if the Detective Pikachu movie (a movie based on a spin-off game that did not light the world on fire) makes a good amount of money and at the very least makes back its budget or even makes a profit at the box office since I will definitely see comparisons between the movie and the animé, especially with worldwide audiences, even though the two are much different types of stories.

Sun and Moon was a mistake. I can only hope that it hasn't killed the show's popularity too much in Japan, however, considering its ratings, I think it's fair to say that it has.

As awful as SuMo is, the ratings for the anime in general have been decreasing steadily in each saga iirc, so I wouldn't necessarily say that SuMo's low ratings reflect the main audience's displeasure with the show: as far as I know, most kids probably like SuMo just as much as they liked XY.

But back to the "teen idol" thing, I don't see how Showcases were a bad thing in principle. They were glorified beauty pageants sure, but I was more bothered by the fact that they were mostly just watered-down Pokemon Contests with no battles. But I can forgive that because Serena was good at them, and she needed a goal after those first 40 or so episodes where she did nothing meaningful.

Yeah, the claim that SM has been rejected by Japan and western fans is pretty ridiculous. I don't know how well it has been received in Japan, but I certainly don't see that much hatred towards it. I've seen Japanese merchandise based off characters from the show and despite how some people really hate it, I'll still see plenty of love for SM here and on other sites. I still don't think it's anywhere near as hated as BW was. The ratings have gone down, but that's not necessarily a sign that Japan dislikes the series when TV ratings in general are such an outdated concept in this day and age.

You know, with Lana's goal being that she wants to discover new undersea Pokemon, I think she should be the one to get a new Gen 8 Pokemon, like how Misty got Togepi, May with Munchlax, Brock with Bonsly or Jame's with Mime. Jr. Course it'd be some water-type, though I highly doubt it'd be Sobble.

You know, with Lana's goal being that she wants to discover new undersea Pokemon, I think she should be the one to get a new Gen 8 Pokemon, like how Misty got Togepi, May with Munchlax, Brock with Bonsly or Jame's with Mime. Jr. Course it'd be some water-type, though I highly doubt it'd be Sobble.
Well with how her Eevee has nothing going for her right now I don't see how giving her a another pokemon would help.

I'm sure it'll get to battle at the League. And it was used as promotion for the Let's Go games.
By showing off none of the moves it had in the Let's go games, Lana rarely using her in battle and the only thing it has to prove its the partner Eevee from let's go is the haircut. And to do what in the league get curb stomp by anyone else there.

By showing off none of the moves it had in the Let's go games, Lana rarely using her in battle and the only thing it has to prove its the partner Eevee from let's go is the haircut. And to do what in the league get curb stomp by anyone else there.
Don't count your Torchic before they hatch. Eevee could still prove to be surprisingly powerful in battle.

Back
Top Bottom