• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Here are mine:
- I don't want to see Serena return in SM
- AmourShipping was handled poorly
- BW wasn't as bad as people claim
- Iris and Cilan get more hate than they deserve
- I liked that Greninja was released, although its release could have been handled a lot better
- SM is the worst anime series so far

I could see how it could be considered controversial. Movie 20 seems to be one of those movies where people love it or hate it with few in-between reactions to it, at least based on some of the reactions I've seen here. I absolutely love Movie 20. I don't know if I'd say it's better than the Lucario movie, if only because that one has been my favorite Pokemon movie for ages, but I do think that Movie 20 is fantastic. It's easily the best Pokemon movie to come out in years in my opinion and it's at least in my top five favorite Pokemon movies too. I love it and I think it's really great as well.

I don't hate movie 20 (its die-hard fans are another story...) but it wasn't great and it certainly did not break the mold as much as a lot of people claim. Yeah it had the whole AU thing but it was basically a handful of Kanto episodes strung together with generic legendary fodder and a poor rehash of the M01 death fakeout scene.

I could see how it could be considered controversial. Movie 20 seems to be one of those movies where people love it or hate it with few in-between reactions to it, at least based on some of the reactions I've seen here. I absolutely love Movie 20. I don't know if I'd say it's better than the Lucario movie, if only because that one has been my favorite Pokemon movie for ages, but I do think that Movie 20 is fantastic. It's easily the best Pokemon movie to come out in years in my opinion and it's at least in my top five favorite Pokemon movies too. I love it and I think it's really great as well.

Even your username and avatar are references to it. :p

I don't hate M20, but I don't like it, the writing was meh. It's the best in years, but certainly not better than some of the earlier movies (like 1, 2, 8, and 10).

I thought that the writing was fine and the death fake out at the end was still pretty emotional for me. Obviously, Ash was going to be fine, but what made it really work for me was the parallel to the first episode/opening of the movie with Ash protecting Pikachu and even going as far as putting Pikachu in its Pokeball. I thought that made the scene more intense and emotional. Even Ash and Pikachu's bond being able to bring him back worked since it was strong enough to pull him out of that dream where Ash existed in a world without Pokemon earlier in the movie. A key aspect of the movie was emphasizing the bond between Ash and Pikachu since that's basically the heart of the anime in my opinion and I feel like that was done pretty well during the climax.

I'm still not sure about preferring it over the Lucario movie, but I'd take it over movies one, two and ten. Those are all good movies too, but the first two are more nostalgic than anything else and the Darkrari movie was just fine. I did have a lot of fun rewatching the first two movies a couple of a weeks ago. They are still fun to watch, but I don't know if I'd consider either of them some of the best Pokemon movies due to the nostalgia factor and changes made for the dubs, especially for the first movie.

Biggest Controversial and/or Nowadays Probably Unpopular Opinions?

- I don't think 4Kids was, at any point on the whole, nearly as horrible as TPCi has been with the dub in the last few years (i.e. XY-SM). There were still similar script, wall-to-wall music, and edit issues, but it was at least much more listenable to me in terms of the voice acting, the opening themes, and they left more of the OST alone even in the AG Anime, than TPCi has in the last several years (we haven't had a single episode, Movie, etc. keep more than 7 pieces of OST since mid Kalos to Alola dubbed, and it's not even a joke). They also didn't re-score their later Movies or Pikachu Shorts like TPCi does now, either, which is easily what makes me the most depressed about the dub nowadays (yes, not even the voice acting does, albeit I still find DuArt's voice acting horrendous personally these days, and I'm not only talking about the current voices for older characters or Pokemon).

- M20 was one of the worst Movies I have ever seen in the English dub, right up there with M01-M02 & M17-19: the dub disrespected the Japanese music & the original English voice cast, in addition to throwing in the usual TR rewrites as usual. It wasn't "nostalgic" at all for me, and in fact, it broke my heart seeing TPCi eradicated the presence of the first 8 years of the dub and almost all of Shinji Miyazaki's music in one fell swoop.

- Also, M20 even in Japanese wasn't entirely to my liking, Souji and Makoto came off as rather bland and I have no idea what purpose TR even had at all.

Not that I mind saying unpopular things these days that are liable to get me flamed or quoted just to slam me for having my opinion stated, but hey, the topic asks for them, so there you go.

You may say well if you just don't like it now, don't watch it! Trust me, I gave up on the current dub a month or so ago, but I still felt the need to say my two cents, and I don't intend on watching M20 again any time soon in either Language.

Last edited:
Many people is going to hate and upset about the Movie 21 this year. Due to the face, that writer never featuring older companion of Ash except for like a sequel to Movie 20 except now featuring the legendary Pokémon, Lugia and Mythical Pokémon, Zeraora.

Many people is going to hate and upset about the Movie 21 this year. Due to the face, that writer never featuring older companion of Ash except for like a sequel to Movie 20 except now featuring the legendary Pokémon, Lugia and Mythical Pokémon, Zeraora.

It's kind of strange to make a claim about a movie that hasn't even been out yet. Lugia is most likely going to show up, if not guaranteed, but we don't have any confirmation of Zeraora showing up. It's definitely possible, but not confirmed and we don't know if those are going to be the only Legendary Pokemon featured in the movie. I'm also not sure what face you're referring to. The character designs didn't upset people nearly as much as when SM was first promoted. While people were understandably upset over Misty and Brock not being in Movie 20, I don't think that would carry over to the new movie, if only because it isn't an anniversary movie and fans didn't have that expectation that they would be included in the movie.

Every Youtube review I've seen said it was mediocre. The thing I like most about it is Cross and how many story beats they cram into the runtime. Like the dream sequence I found really interesting, but you wouldn't usually see stuff like that and events leading up before it in other pokemon movies they would be simple be too focused on the main plot.

M20 is very, very good. But it doesn't beat the Rise of Darkrai for me. I think M20 was very predictable, not just because we've seen it before.

I liked the Rise of Darkrai, but I don't know if I liked it that much either. It was a good movie, a good start to the DP trilogy and I think it was the second best of the DP movies, but I'm not sure if it would rank that high for me when comparing it with the other movies outside of the ones for DP.

It had a really good plot, good setting and it was heartfelt.
My favourite films:
  1. Rise of Darkrai
  2. I Choose You!
  3. Zoroark - Master of Illusions
I hated Kyurem - very cheesy. "I wanna be a sword of justice!" - really really bad. They didn't put much thought into the film tbh.

Speaking of controversial/aka unpopular opinions here is one i have been pondering for a lengthy period of time.
I waged pros and cons in how i felt about certain protagonist from pokemon series and here is my definitive stance i have about this:

I don't think Iris was horrible character as many others try to sell sich image about her out there.
Did she had flaws and could she be written better? That's rhetoric question because of course she could.

But that doesn't mean she did not had good things about her. For instance I feel Iris had interesting background growing as orphan with wild pokemon and from early days developing profound understanding of dragon pokemon. She was isolated from humans facing discrimination and lack of understanding being more nature type, oriented toward spiritual way of living in connection with pokemon and nature around her. Iris had that sarcastic and cynic side, which could generate some fairly amusing situations and humor. Humor which can be acquired taste but regardless her interactions with Ash, Cilan and rivals added special comedy in otherwise bland episodes imo.

Her potential was big and still is liking idea of having young trainer struggle and work toward mastering dragon pokemon. In unlocking emotions and finding ways to read their hearts and achieve perfect synchronization. With whole quest being heavily connected to dragon village, elders and their testing and tasks. Tasks and more concrete steps which weren't granted explored, but added extra layer of intriguity to Iris career overall.

And i can at least commend writers for despite Iris being designed in way that she shared more similarities than desirable with Misty, like type mater career. There was at least put effort in making dragon master goal distinct significantly from water pokemon master goal being similar largely only by name. While path in one mastering each of that types being fairly different.

And Iris had good heart asnd sympathetic side to herself in way she cared about pokemon, but her friends as well. Not being malicious with people whether on purpose or unintentional misinterpreting her catchprase directed toward Ash. Which was teasing, joking around. Out of endearment especially in later BW, rther than sign of hatred and disrespect.

Because teasing and sarcastic remarks out of endearment was characteristic for Misty herself and many other characters. Something many friends in real life tend to do as well, being their way of showing likeness toward someone or something, Adding in pokemon show between human relationships if someone ask me only special flavor adding up to atmosphere.
Iris was by no means without flaws., She had ALOT of them, but was she terrible? In my book no, depends on what you interpret as appropriate or not honestly.

Johto was my least favorite season (despite having one of my favorite episodes) and XYZ is the best season. Also I really like the new character designs in Sun and Moon.

-why did Ash rivals never get shiny pokemon for the league?

- Shedinja was not used at all really since gen III

- starter pokemon are really treated unfair when it comes to friendly, gym and league battles.
Especially the fully evolved ones.

I like Ash well enough, but a small part of me wishes that he could have remained turned to stone in The First Movie.

Alternatively, I wish Ash could age EVEN A COUPLE OF YEARS. Surely he could be 12-14 by now.

I'm not sure if this is controversial but...

I do not think Norman should have forgiven Caroline for accusing him of cheating and trying to manipulate May, Max and Brock into turning against him; though thankfully Max was able to stand by him. It always left a bad taste in my mouth at how easily Caroline tried to make him look like a horrible person without trying to talk with him first.

Back
Top Bottom