• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

On the topic of Grookey, I'm kind of glad it hasn't shown up yet. If Ash had caught Grookey by now, it would've 100% conflicted with Riolu and competed for screentime with it. This would've lead to both pokemon being worse off in the long term, as these writers really aren't good with splitting screentime equally even with just two pokemon (just ask Farfetch'd for example). Between Dragonite, Gengar and Farfetch'd, Ash has more than enough pokemon on his plate right now that need development, and Grookey would've just made this problem even worse. Ash getting a Lucario is a huge deal, it's something fans have wanted for a long, long time. So TPC really wants Lucario to get his sweet time in the spotlight, and having it basically fight a second Galar pokemon for attention would do neither one justice in that regard. I'm guessing they want Riolu to get his focus first, then have him get a Grookey after Lucario gets his 'initial' spotlight, if that makes sense.

Also, I absolutely don't see Goh getting it. It would be downright nonsensical if Ash didn't get a Galar starter. Yes, this series loves breaking traditions, but this seems just too far. I don't see how on Earth Goh is also gonna balance having 3 walking pokemon at once, and what kind of dynamic Grookey will play in this trio of sorts. He already has one starter fully evolving, and another unevolved one, it doesn't make sense if he gets a third one on top of that. Grookey would have a lot more potential with Ash anyways down the line, and I can see Rillaboom being a beast of a pokemon. Also, grass starters are the ones Ash tends to get the most.

Grookey suits his personality the best as well - it's upbeat and full of curiosity. Although you could match Ash with Scorbunny/Sobble, Goh does still have a good dynamic with them (Raboot's stubborn nature, Sobble's timidness) and I just don't see how he can bond with Grookey in a meaningful way here. As seen with Farfetch'd, we know Ash's gonna get Galar pokemon now (since he has many Unova/Kalos/Alola pokemon anyway in his prior teams, so it's unlikely he'll get one of those) and Grookey would fit perfectly into his 6th slot.

Last edited:
Something that always bothered me during the AG saga were the low Appeal scores May would get in comparison to her competition; notably Drew. During Hoenn, her scores were as follows:
  • Slateport Contest: 24.9* with Drew getting a 29.4
  • Fallarbor Contest: 25.9 with Drew getting a 29.6
  • Verdanturf Contest: 24.9*
  • Lilycove Contest: 23.6*
  • They didn't display points for the last several Contests, including her loss in Rubello Town, but her Grand Festival performance was an 88 while Drew got 95
Now, yes-3 out of those 5 scores were due to some form of shakiness on May's part (from Skitty's Blizzard failing to activate to Combusken's Fire Spin momentarily spiraling out of control), but each time May managed to salvage the situation, and thus Appeal, effectively; I would figure being able to adapt to a situation counts for something, especially as it is a fundamental element in Contest Battles. This, in contrast with Jessie who antagonized James' Chimecho on a whim to use Astonish, in which the judges gave her a perfect 30/30, praising her for the "unexpectedness" of her performance. Meanwhile, Drew's high scores all featured Roselia doing the same damn thing over and over with Petal Dance (literally all of his Hoenn Appeals were of Roselia using Petal Dance ft. the occasional Magical Leaf!) and yet there never was any docking for lack of creativity, repeated usage, etc. It was all lapped up each and every time; so much so, the usage earned him 3rd place out of 247 Coordinators in the Hoenn Grand Festival; May, not that many points behind with a score of 88, got 45th... This is particularly jarring as he criticized May's, and indirectly Harley's, idea of spamming Silver Wind during the Grand Festival Appeal round.

As cool as I originally found it, the point system gradually became a source of contention for me as it largely cast May in an amateurish light, even with the couple Ribbons under her belt by the time she reached Lilycove. She wasn't the best Coordinator, no, but I felt she was better than her 25ish average. And Drew's constant Petal Dancing was overhyped excessively; I genuinely thought that if I had a Pokémon who could Petal Dance, that would automatically win me Contests in my Ruby version when I was a kid.

As much as I love Contests, the number point system for the appeal round was pretty inconsistent. They were still figuring out appeals and Contests in general in AG, so giving a number value to performances wasn't really the best idea. I'm almost positive that they removed it from DP Contests in large part because of how it didn't really work out that well in AG. That and there was less suspense on who would make it to the next round if the scores were already high enough.

I'm starting to fell something about this series and I don't like it...

I have been meditating, rewatching episodes and I know that I have been negative into this but I feel it this way...

This is the worst series of Pokémon since 1997.

• No Development
  • Nonsensical plot
  • Team Rocket being unoriginal
  • The gatcha
  • No training
  • No focus on Pokemon
  • An overrated character
  • Bad worldbuilding
  • Bad Powerscalling
  • Self contained episodes.
I dont know I never reached to the point of being so annoyed at a series. Best Wishes did, but atleast I could see an end to it but this time... I don't know what will happen with 9th gen.

To think that in another dimension we are enjoying Pokemon Sword and Shield the Series makes me mad.

However I'm an idiot optimistic guy, so I hope that after the Darkest Day something changes.

Just feeling negative today, sorry.

Ash should be the one to catch Mew, it's been more relevant to his character on several occasions (one such occasion resulting in his apparent death, another where he utilizes his aura for the first time in an attempt to help it), and none of them were just superficial obsessions at it being a rare Pokemon.
I personally think no one should capture Mew. It’s the embodiment of free spirit for me. It’s always showcased as a free and elusive Pokémon and doesn’t need to be caught by anyone.

Let's compromise; have Mewtwo join Ash. He's evidently appearing in the show sometime soon-ish and they have a pre-established connection. :p
(I am genuinely curious if that's gonna be an Ash episode considering his connection to Mewtwo or a Gou one)

I guess my related and super controversial opinion is that I'd want (but do not expect) Ash to capture Eternatus to match the Sword/Shield climax--not necessarily as a permanent member of his team but to get it's power under control to stop the random dynamaxing then letting it go.
Though I'd be cool with them following up his first mythical in Sun/Moon with his first full uber; it's not necessarily a story breaker since it would be easy to portray Eternatus as not too insanely strong when he's not hyped up on energy.
However the Darkest Day is happening too early for me to think that'll happen; it might work okay in the very top of the PWC, but not as this point.

I think people are assuming that Pikachu will be Ash's Giganta/Dynamax ace, in particular that the PWC will end in a Gigantamax Pikachu/Charizard battle, however I think it's more likely that he will use it on several of his Pokemon. Episodes 11 and 12 did the job of showcasing Pikachu's Gigantamax form, but it went completely against Pikachu's established fighting style (speed and maneuverability) and stripped it of what made it unique and interesting. Looking forward, a potential face-off between Giga-Pikachu and Charizard in the finales would be completely underwhelming (well, more underwhelming than a normal dynamax battle).

In the same way that Ash used Z-moves on all of his Alola Pokemon, I think the same will be the case with Dynamax. There's really no reason to limit himself from doing so. It would also suit certain Pokemon much better than others. Gengar and Farfatchet'd would be able to utilize the mechanic without sacrificing too much of their existing abilites and styles, where as speed-based fighters like Lucario and Pikachu would suffer from it. If Ash uses reserves, than the ideal scenario would be for him to utilize Gigantamax Snorlax and Melmetal.

Last edited:
Looking forward, a potential face-off between Giga-Pikachu and Charizard in the finales would be completely underwhelming (well, more underwhelming than a normal dynamax battle).
I actually kind of want them to have it end with Pikachu defeating G-Max Charizard without Gigantamaxing. Have some of it be the Gigantamax battle but then it wears out for Pikachu leaving him to go up against it normally. It would be able to showcase what Pikachu is known for best and would also be a really cool way to finish the battle off and really turn things around as opposed to playing it safe and having a big Pokémon win against a big Pokémon.

I actually kind of want them to have it end with Pikachu defeating G-Max Charizard without Gigantamaxing. Have some of it be the Gigantamax battle but then it wears out for Pikachu leaving him to go up against it normally. It would be able to showcase what Pikachu is known for best and would also be a really cool way to finish the battle off and really turn things around as opposed to playing it safe and having a big Pokémon win against a big Pokémon.
Now that you mention it, I wonder if the anime will even acknowledge the 3-turn rule, or if the form will just last until fainting. I agree that a one-sided Gigantamax battle would be really cool. Pikachu would have to scale it's body SotC style.

I think people are assuming that Pikachu will be Ash's Giganta/Dynamax ace, in particular that the PWC will end in a Gigantamax Pikachu/Charizard battle, however I think it's more likely that he will use it on several of his Pokemon. Episodes 11 and 12 did the job of showcasing Pikachu's Gigantamax form, but it went completely against Pikachu's established fighting style (speed and maneuverability) and stripped it of what made it unique and interesting. Looking forward, a potential face-off between Giga-Pikachu and Charizard in the finales would be completely underwhelming (well, more underwhelming than a normal dynamax battle).

In the same way that Ash used Z-moves on all of his Alola Pokemon, I think the same will be the case with Dynamax. There's really no reason to limit himself from doing so. It would also suit certain Pokemon much better than others. Gengar and Farfatchet'd would be able to utilize the mechanic without sacrificing too much of their existing abilites and styles, where as speed-based fighters like Lucario and Pikachu would suffer from it. If Ash uses reserves, than the ideal scenario would be for him to utilize Gigantamax Snorlax and Melmetal.

I would like it if Lucario Is Ash's first Pokémon to Mega Evolve.

Why did Goh get a Raichu? I doubt it will appear again so it doesn't take so d spotlight from the mascot.
My guess, combination of further pushing his goal and breaking expectations that they aren’t beyond allowing him to capture mascot Pokémon (which becomes kinda pointless when they just become lab fodder).

Back
Top Bottom