• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

No he isn't. Rowlet's not good enough to be a jester, let alone a deity.
I had no idea until this topic people called Rowlet a god.
There is only one Pokébird god and their name is Swellow.

I don't know who decided to give the title of "god" to one of the least deserving characters in existence, but let's just say I have some strong choice words for them.
Fandoms are weird. I've seen a lot of characters get weird reputations that stick on the internet despite a lack of textual backing for it.
This is particularly odd in the Dragon Ball fandom where this is at least half of the main characters.

ehem ehem STARAPTOR ehem ehem
Swellow: 13 wins, 1 tie, 8 losses, won battles against Frontier Brains, elite trainers you need an invitation to fight.
Staraptor: 11 wins, 9 losses, only won against generic gym leaders who numerous of people beat every year and a rival who got flattened when he tried to fight a Frontier Brain

Swellow has a better record against more powerful opponents.

Swellow: 13 wins, 1 tie, 8 losses, won battles against Frontier Brains, elite trainers you need an invitation to fight.
Staraptor: 11 wins, 9 losses, only won against generic gym leaders who numerous of people beat every year and a rival who got flattened when he tried to fight a Frontier Brain

Personality.

I do prefer Ohsubame over Mukubird, but we can't ignore the former had some BS victories. The Thunder Armor in Tokusane Gym and its Wing Attack one-hit knockout in Hiwamaki Gym for eg.

It didn't make Ash win the leauge.
It's still a major victory, though. And frankly due to how horribly Rowlet's victory over Decidueye was written, Rowlet didn't deserve to have any more wins.
Even if you dislike or like Rowlet we can all agree he is WAAY better than Cameron.
lolno. I literally just described exactly why those two are actually exactly the same. The only reason people cut Rowlet more slack is just because he's allied with the protagonist, but take that away and there's little to no difference between how those two were handled.
Ok then Meltan should have been the fall guy cuz he defeated Faba.

Comparing Rowlet and Cameron is like comparing Biden to Trump.
Meltan was already the fall guy against Gladion so that's a big no there too. Besides, making a Mythical the fall guy twice would have been weird at best and infuriating at worst.

Also, can we please not use real world politicians whose actions have had actual real life consequences for actual real life people as analogies to fictional characters please? Because that's pretty disrespectful.

The DEM to end all DEMs.
i never really got how that was supposed to be a dem, since we know how crazy resistant it was to electricity as a tailow. I havent watched the episode in a while, maybe i should.

Anyway, with how little episodes he had the cameron hate never really made sense to me. I guess his gag could be a lot, but not enough to develop this level of vitriol. I can actually relate to the guy, because i know i can be pretty scatterbrained as well. I have to wonder if he was included early he wouldnt have gotten so much vitriol, if only to show more competence. (deflecting thunderbolts like Samurott did can't be an easy feat.)

Anyway, with how little episodes he had the cameron hate never really made sense to me. I guess his gag could be a lot, but not enough to develop this level of vitriol. I can actually relate to the guy, because i know i can be pretty scatterbrained as well. I have to wonder if he was included early he wouldnt have gotten so much vitriol, if only to show more competence. (deflecting thunderbolts like Samurott did can't be an easy feat.)
Much of the vitriol Cameron gets is because of the way his battle against Ash was written. To wit, Cameron constantly did idiotic thing after idiotic thing during that battle (such as bringing only 5 Pokemon to a 6v6 match and sending out a Ferrothorn against a Pignite and a Swanna against a Pikachu, two Pokemon that have a quadruple weakness against their respective opponents. Even Ash has never sent a Pokemon to battle an opponent with such an overwhelming type advantage more than once. The only time Ash ever used a Pokemon with a quadruple weakness against an opponent was when he sent out Gliscor to battle at the Ice Gym in Sinnoh, and even that example is largely mitigated by the fact that at least Gliscor knew two attacks that were super-effective against Ice, so it wasn't entirely defenseless) but not only did he not suffer any major consequences for his blunders, he actually gets rewarded for them due to his Riolu evolving and wiping out half of Ash's team singlehanded.

Another reason Cameron gets hate is because his victory over Ash at the Unova League marks the first and only time Ash actually regressed in placement compared to his performance in the league that he fought just one region prior (Ash was top 8 at Unova compared to being top 4 at Sinnoh), and also because it made the introduction of fellow League rival Virgil basically pointless, since everyone and their grandma was hoping/expecting that guy to be the one whom Ash lost to only for him to be the only rival Ash never got to face.

Last edited:
i mean, he also got those two pokemon knocked out after one hit, so while he made mistakes, I would not say he got rewarded. Still, ymmv. In all honesty this is kinda cementing the idea that Cameron being included earlier might have helped. In fact, if we swapped Trip and Cameron's appearances (yet still include flashbacks to young trip) people wouldnt be as upset. Still, shoulda would coulda.

It's not the resistance to electricity but the out of nowhere armor property.
overwheming force proving a barrier against psychic attacks? We also see something similar with electro web so /shrug

i mean, he also got those two pokemon knocked out after one hit, so while he made mistakes, I would not say he got rewarded.
Actually, if anything Cameron's Ferrothorn and Swanna getting OHKO'd only makes things even worse because it effectively means that he beat Ash's team of six with only half a team, so it's still an example of his idiocy being rewarded.

Many people grossly misinterpret Rowlet's character and treat him like garbage because they didn't understand WHY he fell asleep against Decidueye.
I couldn't care less about why it happened. What bothers me is how the entire thing was executed what with Ash being declared the loser and Hau being cruelly teased with victory only for Hala to wait until the last possible second to point out that Rowlet hadn't actually fainted instead of saying something before Nanu could finish his call. And in any case, Rowlet's sleepiness is something that should have been addressed properly instead of being solely used as a gag.

Back
Top Bottom