• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

SM has its charm, but I think they really did poorly with the Island Challenge. It was largely an after thought, and it didn't really matter at the end because you didn't need to complete it to be a registered competitor for the Manalo Conference. At times, SM felt like it had no direction. I sat here going when is Ash gonna do another trial? Is the Island Challenge even a thing still? The way they handled the Island Challenge was certainly one of SM's weakest aspects.
At least the finale of SM was pretty exciting. Too bad they bored me almost to sleep getting to that point. (Oh, but surely JN would learn from that mistake, righhht? And not wait until almost the end of the series to make things interesting? :confused_emoji:)

Last edited:
SM has its charm, but I think they really did poorly with the Island Challenge. It was largely an after thought, and it didn't really matter at the end because you didn't need to complete it to be a registered competitor for the Manalo Conference. At times, SM felt like it had no direction. I sat here going when is Ash gonna do another trial? Is the Island Challenge even a thing still? The way they handled the Island Challenge was certainly one of SM's weakest aspects.
Honestly if they wanted to fill in space between each trials they could of done something interesting with the "school"

And I'm hesitant to call it a school because kukui and principal oak seemed to be the only staff in the place. We rarely saw any other students. And the lessons kukui taught made no sense. One day they learn about z crystals, than they're learning about clay modeling and jump rope......

Like pokemon and a school setting can be so interesting. But they messed it up by treating it as some hang out spot than an actual school.

We could have had a cool setting like MHA did with superheroes and school. But nah, we got to learn about clay modeling...

How do you even graduate in this place? Ash leaves after Alola but the others still attend school. Can they even fail the class?

Honestly if they wanted to fill in space between each trials they could of done something interesting with the "school"

And I'm hesitant to call it a school because kukui and principal oak seemed to be the only staff in the place. We rarely saw any other students. And the lessons kukui taught made no sense. One day they learn about z crystals, than they're learning about clay modeling and jump rope......

Like pokemon and a school setting can be so interesting. But they messed it up by treating it as some hang out spot than an actual school.

We could have had a cool setting like MHA did with superheroes and school. But nah, we got to learn about clay modeling...

How do you even graduate in this place? Ash leaves after Alola but the others still attend school. Can they even fail the class?
Personally, I hate school, so the "school" setting in SM almost killed my interest from the get-go. I love the feeling of being out on an adventure somewhere new and exciting, traveling to parts unknown. (I apologize if I'm romanticizing things a bit.) Point is, the traveling and adventure concepts of the Pokemon anime pre-SM were some of the best parts of the series to me.

SM should have been just like every series that came before it.
The problem with SM is it focused way too much on the dry comedy.

There really isn't that much filler in SM, I re-watch it last year and was surprised how many episodes focused on the main cast, their pokemon, or introduced important plot elements or rivals. Yeah the whole Totem pokemon thing from the games was largely brushed aside, but the main cast weren't trial captains yet like their game counterparts since everyone was younger in the anime.

Man there was alot of missed opportunity in SM. One of them being mallows mom. Which they neglected to mention before the mist episode and the complete forgot about after the episode.

The fact that they never really explained why mimikyu hates Pikachu. Just treated as a gag that was resolved in the last few minutes of the final episode.

The "relationship" between Meowth and Litten which was just one sided.

Lana not catching dewpider. Or her goal not being a trial captain.

Guzma showing up in the last few episodes of the show for some odd reason.

The girls never having an episode to themselves and showing their group dynamic like the boys did.

Alot of relationship dynamics being forgotten or not ever explored, despite being such a big group. Like mallow and lily. Lily and kiawe. Kiawe and Lana. Sopochles and mallow.

Etc.
Lol I forgot to mention how the heck does Giovanni know nanu. Such a compelling idea introduced and them IMMEDIATELY ignored. What was even the point of that?!

It's an obvious nod to Nanu being an International Police member. Not sure how that's not clear.
It's not about the ''how?'' as much as it is about them bringing up this idea and immediately dropping it and doing jack with it.

Pokéani is no stranger to missed opportunities and untied ends, but it still sucks. There was some nice potential.

SM is actually one of the few series that wrapped up all its major plots:

-Ash's family dynamic with Kukui and showing him start his own family. Torracat's rivalry with Incineroar reaching an epic conclusion.

-Pikachu and Tapu Koko's rivalry and acknowledgment reached its conclusion.

- Gladion was set up as a rival with the Lycanrocs right from the beginning. Ash defeated him and settled that rivalry.

-Guzma's history with Kukui was well explained. Likewise Guzma's late introduction doesn't bother me because most villain teams after DP are not properly showcased till the last year or just one arc.

-Kiawe proved how strong he was in the league making the top 4, and then Ash defeated his Charizard in the final episode.

- Lillie's arc with finding Mohn will hopefully be wrapped up now because they finished her arc with her mother.

- Mallow's Shaymin was a nod to her mother's passing with the same eyes in its sky form, Sophocles is showing working to be qn astronaut, Lana has a number of feats with water pokemon defeating the Wishiwashi totem, nursing the injured Kyorge and having a fully evolved starter.

-Since Ash won the league and beat Kukui he is officially the strongest trainer in Alola.

I was honestly surprised how much they wrapped up properly. All that's left dangling is the search for Mohn which they reminded us of this series.

SM is actually one of the few series that wrapped up all its major plots:

-Ash's family dynamic with Kukui and showing him start his own family. Torracat's rivalry with Incineroar reaching an epic conclusion.

-Pikachu and Tapu Koko's rivalry and acknowledgment reached its conclusion.

- Gladion was set up as a rival with the Lycanrocs right from the beginning. Ash defeated him and settled that rivalry.

-Guzma's history with Kukui was well explained. Likewise Guzma's late introduction doesn't bother me because most villain teams after DP are not properly showcased till the last year or just one arc.

-Kiawe proved how strong he was in the league making the top 4, and then Ash defeated his Charizard in the final episode.

- Lillie's arc with finding Mohn will hopefully be wrapped up now because they finished her arc with her mother.

- Mallow's Shaymin was a nod to her mother's passing with the same eyes in its sky form, Sophocles is showing working to be qn astronaut, Lana has a number of feats with water pokemon defeating the Wishiwashi totem, nursing the injured Kyorge and having a fully evolved starter.

-Since Ash won the league and beat Kukui he is officially the strongest trainer in Alola.

I was honestly surprised how much they wrapped up properly. All that's left dangling is the search for Mohn which they reminded us of this series.

They wrapped the major plot points , but tbh some of them weren't wrapped up all that well. Especially the ones like mallow mom and sopochles goal where it's mentioned in one episode, forgotten about until the last episode, than wrapped up in like a few minutes. The others had proper buildup and a proper conclusion

They wrapped the major plot points , but tbh some of them weren't wrapped up all that well. Especially the ones like mallow mom and sopochles goal where it's mentioned in one episode, forgotten about until the last episode, than wrapped up in like a few minutes. The others had proper buildup and a proper conclusion
Yeah but all the big plot points were addressed. Minor stuff like what the SM cast were going to do after was addressed in the finale because it was just setting up their endgame.

sun/moon is def weird cause i like it, but looking back i don't really know why i liked it. it was a fun experience but after the first time it definitely isn't anything that makes me particularly eager to rewatch it. i think it mainly just came down to me latching onto the characters really hard + it was the thing that made me realize how much of a special place in my heart alola has.
Personally, I hate school, so the "school" setting in SM almost killed my interest from the get-go. I love the feeling of being out on an adventure somewhere new and exciting, traveling to parts unknown. (I apologize if I'm romanticizing things a bit.) Point is, the traveling and adventure concepts of the Pokemon anime pre-SM were some of the best parts of the series to me.
honestly, genuinely i cannot express how much i agree with you here. it really is for the best i watched sun/moon when i did because had i watched it when it first aired, i would have absolutely hated it. even now, i feel like the school setting goes against what i feel is a big theme in the pokemon series as a whole and ESPECIALLY alola, i'm no good with words but the interview screenshot below is the main example i use. my point is, school very much goes against this idea i feel. really i'm kind of dreading scarlet and violet for this same reason cause i've heard rumors school will be a major element in it and i do not want to go through the beginning chunk of psmd again
1648421324764.png

honestly, the little to no use of the school for shenanigans makes me wonder how boring of schools the writers went to. like come on i'm sure at least ONE schoolyard fight broke out... my school experience has been pretty boring mostly and even i remember in like 5th grade they wouldn't let you take plastic water bottles outside cause of the bottle flipping challenge. where's my episode where something like that happens.

really, in general i've noticed that like. okay maybe it's just a cultural thing since the things i'm talking about are admittedly american media but i've noticed even in things WITH school settings there seems to be a bit of "yeah this place sucks lol". sun/moon didn't even get that and honestly i do kinda wish it did

SM not focusing on the school was the best choice, I remember people being horrified back in 2016 when the first SM summaries came out and said Ash was going to school. Seeing it focused on with Kukui giving regular lessons would have gotten old fast. We did have a few eps like that and they were the weakest eps of the series.

SM instead focused on the wide variety of characters and pokemon and then major arcs of Aether, Necrozma, Ultra Guardians, etc besides the Kahuna battles and league. The world building focused on each individual character and the recurring cast was pretty well done, it's something people criticize Journey's for because it honestly was done better last gen.

SM not focusing on the school was the best choice, I remember people being horrified back in 2016 when the first SM summaries came out and said Ash was going to school. Seeing it focused on with Kukui giving regular lessons would have gotten old fast. We did have a few eps like that and they were the weakest eps of the series.

SM instead focused on the wide variety of characters and pokemon and then major arcs of Aether, Necrozma, Ultra Guardians, etc besides the Kahuna battles and league. The world building focused on each individual character and the recurring cast was pretty well done, it's something people criticize Journey's for because it honestly was done better last gen.
Oh, I'll never argue that though. SM did a vastly better job at building the world of Alola and making its characters feel alive. That said though, they weren't the most exciting bunch of characters ever (that Ultra Guardians schtick got old reeeealy fast,) and being confined to one little island most of the time isn't too exciting in and of itself. And I've heard (and seen through the SM series, LOL,) that island life in general gets boring pretty quick.

Ever since the ep aired, I've heard this take. I'm going to add my two cents to it: Mallow's mom did not come out of nowhere. Not completely, at least.

One of the more consistent themes of SM is family. You know, ohana and all that. Said theme is repeatedly shown with our protagonists.

Kiawe's mother, father, sister, and grandfather. Sophocles' mother, father, and cousin Molayne. Lana's mother, father, and sisters. Lillie has Lusamine, Mohn, and Gladion.

They even gave Ash a mother and father figure with Burnet and Kukui. AlsohisactualmotherIguessbutshe'snotfromAlolasoI'mnotcountingher

The show went out of its way to give each kid a pair of parents, so one would think it strange that after 100 eps, Mallow's mom wasn't mentioned, let alone seen. It's not like they ignored her family. Her dad and brother were recurring characters. Now we know why.

Could the show alluded to it in a better (less subtle) way? Probably? But the hints were there.

Ever since the ep aired, I've heard this take. I'm going to add my two cents to it: Mallow's mom did not come out of nowhere. Not completely, at least.

One of the more consistent themes of SM is family. You know, ohana and all that. Said theme is repeatedly shown with our protagonists.

Kiawe's mother, father, sister, and grandfather. Sophocles' mother, father, and cousin Molayne. Lana's mother, father, and sisters. Lillie has Lusamine, Mohn, and Gladion.

They even gave Ash a mother and father figure with Burnet and Kukui. AlsohisactualmotherIguessbutshe'snotfromAlolasoI'mnotcountingher

The show went out of its way to give each kid a pair of parents, so one would think it strange that after 100 eps, Mallow's mom wasn't mentioned, let alone seen. It's not like they ignored her family. Her dad and brother were recurring characters. Now we know why.

Could the show alluded to it in a better (less subtle) way? Probably? But the hints were there.
Idk , I don't think there were any hints at all. I guess her mom not being there can be considered that, but we're used to characters before SM having only one parent. It was a bit odd, but since the show never really brought any attention to it. Viewers would just assume she is one of those main characters that only have one parent.

this is a nice take and all but i managed to fucking misread ohana as obama and for a moment i was VERY confused

Some of the best SM fillers were the slice of life episodes like the baseball episode, or the school play episode where Jessie's Japanese VA had a montage of all the other anime characters she played. Before that it was just generic eps of Ash meeting a trainer with a problem and TR stealing Pikachu.

I don't know about everyone else, but I hated how Lana got her Z-Crystal through her Trial. The anime has a lot of undeserved moments, but this one was quite cheap.

Wishiwashi was one of the more hyped Alolan Pokémon when it was introduced, with an impressive lore and creative biological process. Something so strong that even Gyarados are customarily sent running away in fear, Lana essentially one shot with an ineffective attack. I know the anime is the anime, but the Poke Nerd in me could not get over how an ineffective base 40 BP move off of Popplio's lower Attack stat could take down the bulky Totem. To add insult to injury, Lana didn't even defeat the Totem by herself (which at least Ash did for his), needing Pikachu to knock out the helper Alomomola. It could have been so much better; she even could have used her Lapras and did something that actually made sense such as using Freeze Dry.

The Trials were some of the most fun and challenging experiences I have had in Pokémon games. It would have been neat to see all eight animated in the full glory they deserved.

I don't know about everyone else, but I hated how Lana got her Z-Crystal through her Trial. The anime has a lot of undeserved moments, but this one was quite cheap.

Wishiwashi was one of the more hyped Alolan Pokémon when it was introduced, with an impressive lore and creative biological process. Something so strong that even Gyarados are customarily sent running away in fear, Lana essentially one shot with an ineffective attack. I know the anime is the anime, but the Poke Nerd in me could not get over how an ineffective base 40 BP move off of Popplio's lower Attack stat could take down the bulky Totem. To add insult to injury, Lana didn't even defeat the Totem by herself (which at least Ash did for his), needing Pikachu to knock out the helper Alomomola. It could have been so much better; she even could have used her Lapras and did something that actually made sense such as using Freeze Dry.

The Trials were some of the most fun and challenging experiences I have had in Pokémon games. It would have been neat to see all eight animated in the full glory they deserved.
This is why I wish at least one of the Alola gang goal was a trial captain.

Back
Top Bottom