• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Most battles from pre-DP didn't really make sense if you follow game lore. Even AG's battles have more in common with Kanto/Johto's than anything later. Also remember normal type moves would sometimes work on ghost pokemon in AG like Glalie headbutting Misdreavous.

Most of the Hoenn Gyms had Ash use the opposite type match ups that would have been good for it. Grovyle and Corphish would have been super effective against Tate/Liza for example.

Hop would of been a better co protagonist for ash than goh is. His storyline would have been a perfect contrast for ash. Ash in the journeys anime is supposed to be more and.more undefeated. While In the game hop stories is about trying to be like his brother but the more you progress in the game he keeps losing and losing, so much he feels like he is dragging his brother's name in the mud.

A character who is undefeated through hard work and dedication, and another character who no matter how hard he tries keeps losing. It would of been amazing. They could have been great rivals since both of them aim to battle Leon and become monarch. Later hop deciding to become a professor due to growing a bond with Sonia

They could of still do the world traveling thing. Just make hop join the PWC instead.

Idk about Chloe tho. Honestly I feel like you can take goh away and keep her and not much would change tbh. Or heck remove her and nothing would change

A character who is undefeated through hard work and dedication, and another character who no matter how hard he tries keeps losing. It would of been amazing
...I really, really like this idea. That would be a great way to handle Hop, plus Ash could actually relate to Hop's struggles instead of just being a born perfect trainer like the player is.

...I really, really like this idea. That would be a great way to handle Hop, plus Ash could actually relate to Hop's struggles instead of just being a born perfect trainer like the player is.
Exactly, heck the world traveling aspect could of been a big part of it. While they travel together in different regions hop keeps losing, but while he is there he realizes something. That he rather help and research pokemon than become the monarch. Just like his arc in the game.

Would of been an interesting contrast between them. Ash who comes from basically nowhere becomes stronger and battles Leon. While being related to the champion yet you pretty much suck at battling

If they plan to introduce him still, it's probably gonna be a one episode like Marnie.

Hop would of been a better co protagonist for ash than goh is.
To rub salt into the wound.....

Gou ended up usurping his role in the horribly rushed SwSh 'Plot-Climax'.

And that still stings/upsets some fans, and it is understandable.

Honestly, I would have preferred a more faithful adaptation of SwSh.
Over the complete and horrendous mess that Journeys is.

To rub salt into the wound.....

Gou ended up usurping his role in the horribly rushed SwSh 'Plot-Climax'.

And that still stings/upsets some fans, and it is understandable.

Honestly, I would have preferred a more faithful adaptation of SwSh.
Over the complete and horrendous mess that Journeys is.
Yeah, even if he isn't a co protagonist. The contrast between him and ash would of worked fine if he was a rival. But there probably gonna give him the same treatment they did with hau
Heck him having sobble could of worked. A weak crybaby pokemon growing up into a strong and confident Inteleon. Which mirrors hops development.
I'm not even saying this to criticize journeys. Since I don't think it's fair to judge a show on what it could've done then what it did do and was aiming for, but I just needed to vent lol
Poor Hop..

A character who is undefeated through hard work and dedication, and another character who no matter how hard he tries keeps losing. It would of been amazing.
It's both hilarious and sad that Goh is the exact polar opposite. He's a character who does jack shit but is somehow amazing in what he does.

It's both hilarious and sad that Goh is the exact polar opposite. He's a character who does jack shit but is somehow amazing in what he does.
And let’s not even mention how, in spite of basically doing just the equivalent of being a zoo keeper, he’s just given free evolutions. Kid’s the character equivalent of leaving things on autopilot.

I guess my only issue with my hop storyline is that the message kinda the exact opposite of the series message. This is a story that centers around a kid who doesn't gives up no matter what. Even when he was constantly ridiculed. Heck many characters had an arc of not giving up after failed. Such as dawn and Serena ,kiawe, lily, etc. So to have a character like hop try his best but still fail and realize that his dream of being a monarch is just impossible would be genuinely interesting and I would want to see how the show tackles that.

But I'll be honest, I don't think the series has the guts to pull that off or even address a topic like that. Especially with their target audience in mind

Yeah, even if he isn't a co protagonist. The contrast between him and ash would of worked fine if he was a rival. But there probably gonna give him the same treatment they did with hau
Heck him having sobble could of worked. A weak crybaby pokemon growing up into a strong and confident Inteleon. Which mirrors hops development.
I'm not even saying this to criticize journeys. Since I don't think it's fair to judge a show on what it could've done then what it did do and was aiming for, but I just needed to vent lol
Poor Hop..

And let’s not even mention how, in spite of basically doing just the equivalent of being a zoo keeper, he’s just given free evolutions. Kid’s the character equivalent of leaving things on autopilot.
Today I will remind you all about what we could've had

Screenshot_2022-04-05-10-21-40-1.png
20210706_170714.png
20210706_170718.jpg
20210706_170721.jpg
20210706_170723.jpg

Honestly that looks awful. Can't comprehend why anyone think Gloria on the cast with no goal would be a good thing.

Last edited:
There's no side quests in the Sword/Shield games. If Ash does Gyms what is she to do?
There's a minor league gym circuit mentioned multiple times; Gloria could be focused on beating those gyms while Ash competes in the major league, and he could sorta act as a mentor to her. It'd be cool to see exactly how the minor league gyms work, even if it wouldn't necessarily be canon to the games. Then Hop and Ash could sorta work as a rival/companion dynamic the way others have mentioned, or have Hop be aiming to be a researcher from the beginning.

But there's still only 10 Gyms in the games. The aren't going to make up 8 Gym leaders or so for a character to battle in.

There aren't 16 Gyms in the game so there was no way they would have another character do the Gym goal, it's why it never happened after 25 years

There's a minor league gym circuit mentioned multiple times; Gloria could be focused on beating those gyms while Ash competes in the major league, and he could sorta act as a mentor to her. It'd be cool to see exactly how the minor league gyms work, even if it wouldn't necessarily be canon to the games. Then Hop and Ash could sorta work as a rival/companion dynamic the way others have mentioned, or have Hop be aiming to be a researcher from the beginning.
I prefer this over another contest goal. Even though I love contest

But there's still only 10 Gyms in the games. The aren't going to make up 8 Gym leaders or so for a character to battle in.

There aren't 16 Gyms in the game so there was no way they would have another character do the Gym goal, it's why it never happened after 25 years
They have Avery and Klara as givens for minor league gym leaders, and could probably use whichever of Bea/Allister and Gordie/Melony they didn't usd in the major league for minor league gym leaders; so they'd only have to introduce about four new characters assuming minor league requires eight badges, which isn't too bad, and it'd let them show off all the version exclusive gym leaders in battles.

Keep in mind most of this would have had to been planned out in 2016 before any DLC existed. So most other Gym leaders didn't exist back then and the other characters are rivals. The writers had to swap out Wallace for Juan and Drayden for Roxie because new games changed their original plans. The writers never know when a saga is planned what will change in sequels or DLC a few years later as we've seen.

Also even if Gloria was a main character the chance of her doing Gyms when May/Dawn/Serena didn't was zero. She would have Eevee and most likely have similar development Koharu did as the main girl

Keep in mind most of this would have had to been planned out in 2016 before any DLC existed. So most other Gym leaders didn't exist back then and the other characters are rivals. The writers had to swap out Wallace for Juan and Drayden for Roxie because new games changed their original plans. The writers never know when a saga is planned what will change in sequels or DLC a few years later as we've seen.

Also even if Gloria was a main character the chance of her doing Gyms when May/Dawn/Serena didn't was zero. She would have Eevee and most likely have similar development Koharu did as the main girl
I feel like the DLC was probably at least in the planning/development stages by the time SwSh released given how soon it was announced? So it'd be possible the anime people would know about those characters, and if they didn't and had Gloria doing minor league gyms from the beginning wouldn't fuck over their plans that much- in that alternate timeline they might've had a full roster of minor league gym leaders planned out for her to battle but having to scrap two anime exclusive characters wouldn't aggravate literally anyone. Or they could've started her with no goal/trying to figure out her goal similar to Chloe and switched her to minor league gyms in June when the DLC came out; yeah having her do nothing for the first few months woulda sucked but getting her through the gyms in the time left after that without it being too tushed still feels pretty reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom