• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

For reference: my posts were based on this video summarizing Ash's character development. This PokéTuber once spent a full year rewatching every single episode of the Pokémon anime.
Love Zac but I disagree on his assessment of XY and SM, also his JN take of Ash not focused on the next league aged like milk considering how badly Ash wanted to battle Leon this series

Love Zac but I disagree on his assessment of XY and SM, also his JN take of Ash not focused on the next league aged like milk considering how badly Ash wanted to battle Leon this series
Exactly, some of his assessment feel like headcanon. Especially how the show just kimda molds Ash to whatever they need him to be moreso than an actual linear character progression

Exactly, some of his assessment feel like headcanon. Especially how the show just kimda molds Ash to whatever they need him to be moreso than an actual linear character progression
There are definitely signs of inter-series character development for Ash. Especially from OS to DP.

Especially when we have straight from the horse's mouth that they make him forget things to re-learn them.

Like Ash not knowing what Brave Bird is in XY is so stupid. In his smartest iteration when his Staraptor had it in DP. Ugh.
Blame that for XY's lack of continuity. Aside from the return of Steven (with Ash not even actually acknowledging having met him before), the only reference to a past series that I can recall from XY was Ash referencing Dawn's Piplup in one episode. And that's it. IIRC, the staff admitted they literally just forgot to include references to past series in XY.

Blame that for XY's lack of continuity. Aside from the return of Steven (with Ash not even actually acknowledging having met him before), the only reference to a past series that I can recall from XY was Ash referencing Dawn's Piplup in one episode. And that's it. IIRC, the staff admitted they literally just forgot to include references to past series in XY.
I'm not sure if a lack of references necessarily contributes to his fluctuation in terms of character. I think it's more so an issue of miscommunication among the staff: case in point, the fact that some characters are written in specific ways during some episodes depending on who is writing them. For instance, people dislike Deko Akao's Ash; but he's still the same character, no?

So? He still should know moves.

Especially when we have straight from the horse's mouth that they make him forget things to re-learn them.
Exactly. After having a character for 25 years, if this is bound to happen. They clearly draw blanks on how to write Ash sometimes.

Btw does anyone know where to find that interview?

Exactly. After having a character for 25 years, if this is bound to happen. They clearly draw blanks on how to write Ash sometimes.

Btw does anyone know where to find that interview?
Here:

Apparently in the above excerpt, Yonemura states that characters which have already been developed are harder to write for, which is why he tends to "weaken" them in order to develop them again.

Here is the translation from dephender.

"As far as Satoshi's battles as a Pokémon Trainer are concerned, Pocket Monsters XY gave me the impression that he had matured a lot. This made it difficult to create new dramatic story arcs for him, but since Satoshi is such a straightforward person, he has this aspect to him where he sometimes forgets things he's already learned from experience. When this happens, we have Go comment on how "THIS is what Satoshi is ACTUALLY like" or "THIS is what Satoshi always says", etc. This makes Satoshi a boy who still has a lot of room to grow. He's someone who always continues to strive towards his goal, and you could even say that if he didn't do this, he wouldn't BE Satoshi. Our job as writers is to find ways to make this happen"

Like I said earlier, in Kalos, he got a bit of a tunnel vision and needed to learn to broaden his views again. He focused too much on learning a single method to win that he temporarily forgot he could try out other strategies too.
This is false. He still knew different ways to win. Ash still used his unorthodox different ways to win in XY. You’re misunderstanding his character conflict- he felt that he was hampering Greninja from reaching its true potential because of Greninja’s constant losses. Specially because it chose Ash because it felt Ash is the best person to help it grow. Winning was NEVER a part of it. He ends up losing to Alain and takes that loss well not because he “learnt” that winning isn’t everything, but because he was assured he and Greninja did their best. The opening also makes it clear when it looks like Greninja walks away from Ash.

It has been Ash’s unwavering character trait from Day 1 that it is always okay to lose and there is room to grow. I’m astonished you mention XY because this message was literally doubly enforced in XY, contrasting Ash with Alain’s undying desire to win.

Also:
I don't think I listed it under SM.

SM: Since he's learned that winning isn't everything, Ash now takes things more leisurely and isn't in a rush for his next win.

Serious question: at what point post AG Ash thought winning was everything? He took the Kalos loss pretty well. Ash was NEVER in rush for "wins".

So I watched over from the start some of the firat episodes of Jns, I think its the 3rd time I watch themto be honest.. here are some thoughts:

1. So I remembered Ash got screwed by Mew & Mewtwo and got back to life by the affection of the pokemon.. maybe he got his overpowered aura from back then? There was Ash's aura in the movie of Mew&Lucario we should be noted. Also, he had a connection with Lugia. And on top his super connection with Gninja and Lucario. This could be intresting to understand Ash's gift even more in the next season..

2. Ash treaveled with Goh in the 3rd episode and saw bulba gang in the new unkown Gym that they were just building. Is this the Gym that Paul might be it's leader? Will he use a Vinasaur?

3. Too many things were left out from the original parts ; such as lightning effects when Ash gets Pikachu from Oak, Gninja-Ash form, and others. Maybe we can add the flashback of Pikachu in the final - they were doing awsome job in general but there were 2-3 pokemon thay could be left out and if not then some others that were missing. One thing we must say, at least they did not reboot Ash in away they showed his royal mask doll and trophy right away, maid his exp counts in every region (gimicks & knowledge) and they did nore in M8 he was a champion of Alola. In the end Ash made it to the 1st place so it was upgrade for the Alolan title he got the season before.

4. Pikachu, as we saw, was managed to be the 1st ace in line - now after being The Pokemon of the Tournament. We knew Ash and Pikachu were in sync, but I think in the final we saw their connection getting to a new level, with that new signature move(?). Maybe it is somewhere close to the aura connection between Lucario and Gninja after all.

5. Infernape must be Ash's best pokemon in Oak's lab. Ash should have been paying more thought about keeping him there, clearly not good for him.

6. Still not sure what is the point of Eevee. Bad written.

Didn't he also tell Goodra he could call Professor Oak and use one of his other pokémon for the Kalos League, but that he wanted Goodra to fill the 6th spot on his team?

But yeah, XY was the series with the least mention of continuity. Funny in hindsight, because at some points in time people claimed the 2 sequel series (Sun and Moon; and Journeys) were the series without continuity and/or soft reboots. The first couple of months of Journeys some people were saying people who were finding continuity in Journeys were grasping at straws because it was not explicit enough. Now we can say Journeys maybe had the most references and occurrences of continuity since Sinnoh.

Didn't he also tell Goodra he could call Professor Oak and use one of his other pokémon for the Kalos League, but that he wanted Goodra to fill the 6th spot on his team?

But yeah, XY was the series with the least mention of continuity. Funny in hindsight, because at some points in time people claimed the 2 sequel series (Sun and Moon; and Journeys) were the series without continuity and/or soft reboots. The first couple of months of Journeys some people were saying people who were finding continuity in Journeys were grasping at straws because it was not explicit enough. Now we can say Journeys maybe had the most references and occurrences of continuity since Sinnoh.
Journeys had explicit continuity as early as episode 2.

A995A810-156A-45A6-89C1-25DDBFF9E104.png

Back
Top Bottom