• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I barely do/did contests in the franchise games, but, as far as I know, the regular Ruby/Sapphire contests are, in OR/AS, called Contest Spectaculars. So, although the changes are more radical in the anime universe, isn't it possible that the same thing could have happened in relation to the anime contests?

On the other hand, the only Contest Spectacular depiction is the one from episode 105 of Pokémon Journeys, or not? Which was extremely rushed and criticized.
It's possible, but I have a hard time seeing May or Dawn being into Contest Spectaculars if they are basically just Showcases. Plus, I think Dawn only mentioned Contests, not Contest Spectaculars, so I assume that they're two different goals within the anime.

But it was so long between appearances it’s possible. Plus I highly doubt May is only still 10. She’s got to be at least 14-15.
Not really. Just because it was a long time between her two appearances for the audience doesn't mean that was the same in universe. Characters don't really age in the anime, not just Ash, so May would also still be ten after all this time. Even if she was supposed to be a teenager instead, I have a hard time believing that a young teenager would decide to quit something they enjoy just because they couldn't make a career out of it. Not to say that would be impossible for a fourteen year old to act like that, but it doesn't really make sense from what I remember being a teenager or how my peers at the time acted.

Here is another opinion, the SM saga should have only been 50 episodes max. I feel Ash would have been bette off alone. Also the school thing was stupid. I feel Ash going to school dumbed him down from XYZ. All the classmates would only appear in 1 episode only, when Ash does their trials. Lillie would appear for 2 episodes, mainly to help save her mom from the Ultra Wormhole.

Here is another opinion, the SM saga should have only been 50 episodes max. I feel Ash would have been bette off alone. Also the school thing was stupid. I feel Ash going to school dumbed him down from XYZ. All the classmates would only appear in 1 episode only, when Ash does their trials. Lillie would appear for 2 episodes, mainly to help save her mom from the Ultra Wormhole.
I don't see how 50 episodes would be enough for catches, evolutions, and the trials.

But I think it can work. This way there are no filler episodes. Plus since Ash will be by himself and his Pokemon, it’s doable.
Thing is, 50 episodes wouldn't be enough for a pokemon series. This is due to the fact that we get a new pokemon series every single generation. And since a generation is normally three years, that would mean the audience would have to either wait two years for the next anime series or they would have to wait weeks for a new episode. Either way it would be more waiting.

Thing is, 50 episodes wouldn't be enough for a pokemon series. This is due to the fact that we get a new pokemon series every single generation. And since a generation is normally three years, that would mean the audience would have to either wait two years for the next anime series or they would have to wait weeks for a new episode. Either way it would be more waiting.
Well something like Journeys could have taken that two year gap before the next region.

Controversially, I think a gym challenge (or Trials, in this case) could work as the focus of a 50 episode arc that feeds into a larger 145 - 150 episode story. But for an entire generation of material to be squeezed into 50 episodes? No way.

Only 3 child trainers is way too little for a main cast. While I didn't like Sun and Moon that much, at least they had more than that. Also, an odd number, really? With an even number, we could have had as many boys as there are girls (tomboys are girls, they're not another gender). XY had an even number with 2 girls for 2 boys (not counting the Clemontless mini-arc), even though Bonnie wasn't a trainer. SM had 3 boys for 3 girls, with all of them being a trainer. The only "step backwards" was JN. And I don't take the "girls outnumber boys to contrast with JN's treatement of female characters" as a valid excuse.

So, if Dot ever becomes the tritagonist, I will take it very badly if they don't add a 4th protagonist that would be male.

Only 3 child trainers is way too little for a main cast. While I didn't like Sun and Moon that much, at least they had more than that. Also, an odd number, really? With an even number, we could have had as many boys as there are girls (tomboys are girls, they're not another gender). XY had an even number with 2 girls for 2 boys (not counting the Clemontless mini-arc), even though Bonnie wasn't a trainer. SM had 3 boys for 3 girls, with all of them being a trainer. The only "step backwards" was JN. And I don't take the "girls outnumber boys to contrast with JN's treatement of female characters" as a valid excuse.

So, if Dot ever becomes the tritagonist, I will take it very badly if they don't add a 4th protagonist that would be male.
I get what you're saying. but if we're counting Dot as one of the major protagonists for Horizons, then you might as well count Friede too since he appears just as much as she does in major story arcs, if not more.

Considering how most series tend to have three main characters for the cast, it feels kind of weird to say that three child trainers is too little for the main cast in Horizons. It might feel smaller given the size of the adult supporting characters though.

Last edited:
In my opinion, introducing a love story in XY was a big mistake. I think it's a bit too early for 10-year-olds to do this sort of thing.

I will also add that I don't know what's so delightful about the fact that a 10-year-old girl convinced herself that she was in love with a boy who not only didn't remember her, but also didn't reciprocate her feelings yet.

Keeping Ash 10 was the biggest mistake OLM ever made with the anime. You can blame Kunihiko Yuyama for that.
I never understood why people wanted him to age as if it would've changed anything. He still would've been the same character because he barely went through serious character development during his tenure on the show, which was kind of the whole point of his character since he needed to remain childish for the sake of the core audience which I'm told was mostly elementary school aged children.

The only thing that I found strange was that a year had passed since his journey started according to the 3rd Pikachu short but since it's been banned in Japan then I guess we're not meant to consider that as canon.

In my opinion, introducing a love story in XY was a big mistake. I think it's a bit too early for 10-year-olds to do this sort of thing.

I will also add that I don't know what's so delightful about the fact that a 10-year-old girl convinced herself that she was in love with a boy who not only didn't remember her, but also didn't reciprocate her feelings yet.
I don't know. I remember girls having crushes earlier than ten when I was little, so I don't think it's out of the ordinary. I think that calling Serena's crush on Ash a love story is overselling it a bit. It was more of a gimmick to make her stand out rather than a major storyline or subplot in XY. I certainly never thought it was a storyline at least. Serena didn't really seem that upset when Ash didn't initially remember her from camp either.

Saying Dawn or May is the better character is totally subjective. Everyone has a biased opinion and can argue endlessly.

But..saying Dawn was a worse coordinator than May is a stretch. The moves Dawn came up with and how hard she tried to fix her mistakes puts her way above the rest of the performer girlies.

But..saying Dawn was a worse coordinator than May is a stretch. The moves Dawn came up with and how hard she tried to fix her mistakes puts her way above the rest of the performer girlies.
But they feel cheap and half-assed. May put a ton more effort into her contests than Dawn. I think the writers wanted May to look weak after Hoenn.

to remain childish for the sake of the core audience which I'm told was mostly elementary school aged children.
I was under the impression that part of the audience was growing along with the anime, at least until DP-BW era. Otherwise the backlash to Ash not aging, being declared ten years again in BW and reversing all of his development up until that moment would not make much sense. Kids were not in online forums complaining about the anime so a part of the audience is clearly not school children from elementary, even if they are the target audience.

Back
Top Bottom