• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Create/Change a Game Mechanic

-The next gimmick after Mega Evos and Z-Moves is tricky to guess but I will try. Its going to be:
Ability Combos. Once per battle, you can trigger two of a Pokemon's abilities to work in tandem, with no holdbacks. This will require everyone to have a hidden ability of course. I would call it, uh, Syncho Abilities. But yeah some examples:
better would be a 3 stone, a Syncho Stone for that.

I would do extra status changes, hp draning, and something like that too.

Personally I would make Spiky shield, Iron barbs, rough skin make double damage when the oponent uses a increased physical priority move. But its not a big deal.

Last edited:
Let those pointless trainer classes you can choose to be mean something. It was mainly used as a tool to differentiate players online before customization was a thing, but it could have a secondary use.

Make a class for each type, or maybe a group of types. Like, hex maniac for ghosts, or ghosts and psychics, and if you're playing as a hex maniac and use a ghost Pokémon, it's attacks are slightly boosted. Or, if a non-ghost uses a ghost attack under command of a hex maniac, it gets a STAB or near-STAB boost.

... I don't even really like when they add new gimmicky mechanics like this, maybe this would be more of a fun idea for a fanfic... hm...

It should be implied that there is a distinction between 'sanctioned' and 'unsanctioned' Pokemon battles, with the former being the default ruleset for NPC trainer battles.

- Sanctioned battles are won and lost on a points system: Each fainted Pokemon scores a point for the opposing trainer, and the first trainer to score more points than the smaller party size wins. (e.g. if you have four Pokemon vs. the opponent has one, the first KO wins the entire battle.)
- Being defeated does not send you back to a Pokemon Center (unless it was your last Pokemon in the party). The NPC will not stop you again to battle, but you can choose to challenge them again until you win.
- Notably, Gym Leaders (and equivalent League opponents) will refuse to battle you at all unless you bring a party same size (or larger) as theirs. This is to prevent you from exploiting a quick win by bringing a party of only one Pokemon.

The major reasoning for this is a points system reduces the advantage of the player always having a larger party size than the NPCs, and it also impacts Revives, as reviving a Pokemon in battle does not make you an extra Pokemon away from defeat, it just means you can use the same Pokemon again.

All villainous-team battles are implied to be unsanctioned, so the points system does not apply to them. These are, however, the minority of overall trainer battles.

Alternately, if your party is larger than a Gym Leader's, they will be allowed to use one Max Revive on a fainted Pokemon (preferably their ace).

Last edited:
Despite my suggestion, I'm with you on how Game Freak really should focus on the existing features instead of adding new gimmicks. It's just that I think it is more likely that GF will introduce new gimmicks instead given their track record so far. Thus, my suggestion was that Game Freak could at least add summon magic like other RPGs have.

They already display enemy resistances and weaknesses in regards to moves, and they also show both status modifications and other data about opponents and your own party members. Those are elements that are commonly seen in other RPGs already, especially with JRPGs. They might as well go the whole mile and add summon magic to the series, though I am biased in this regard since I'd like to see Pokémon interact with creatures other than humans and Pokémon.
maybe something related to auras? they can expand this concept if they want to add magic, especially because probably gen 8 will have Sinnoh remakes so it can work. If it's a minor feature that's alright, but if new gimmicks are introduced every new game and later is "forgotten", the games will turn a mess :\

When I was first playing Pokemon, I read one of the Pokemon: Pathways to Adventure books. Specifically the one with Pikachu on the cover. In it, because the trainers you battle didn't have names at the time, the author treated each encounter as if you were battling, say, the same bug catcher. It made the battles richer and added this friendly rivalry to the world which I quickly adopted as my headcanon. Of course, that was immediately undone with the release of Gold and Silver, but all these years later and I still haven't forgotten that sense of interconnectedness it created.

What I'd love is for the trainers you meet to move as you defeat them and show up in odd places. This means that every trainer gets their own unique character. It wouldn't be that they're always in the next area, because they should realistically need to train, but it would allow you the chance to get invested in the region in a way that just hasn't happened before. Gen II sort of approached that with phone numbers, but trainers were always in the same spot. I want to run into characters where their type of choice would never be. Imagine climbing to the top of a mountain and seeing that first bug catcher you met taking in the view with their black belt father you fought after your second gym battle. Have them exploring the region just as much as you are. Ideally, this would include battles with trainers who are sometimes much stronger than your Pokemon, failing multiple times in multiple places, only to finally overcome them. They could even have them heal your Pokemon after battle so it doesn't punish children for not being prepared and you won't lose your progress. (Actually, an option to use available items to heal and revive your Pokemon if they faint after a battle is over so you don't have to backtrack would be great, too. I understand restricting that for the Elite 4 or special events, but otherwise? It'd be pretty useful with stronger trainers roaming.)

Basically, I just want each region to feel even more alive and engrossing. Majora's Mask may not be bursting with characters, but each one in the game feels fully realized and purposeful thanks to time based events. It obviously wouldn't work the same way, but my point is that less is sometimes more.

Other things I'd like:

"Downloading" a friend's character and roster and setting them free to roam the map and autolevel their team and catch new Pokemon. It would be fun to see how your friends team looked compared to their real lineup by the end.

The ability to swap Pokemon the Pokemon on your team from anywhere. Again, there's the issue of events where you can't allow a player to have more Pokemon than 6 like the Elite 4 or villain battles, but they could just disable the feature at any time with whatever fluff excuse they needed.

Oh! I just remembered the other one I was thinking about while writing earlier:

Making a Pseudo-Legendary as well as high level Pokemon capturable early on in the game. Basically have Mt. Silver accessible right away. If someone tries to catch these Pokemon with only a Pokeball and their weak early Pokemon, 9 times out of 10 they'll be hit KO'd. Instead, they'll need to just throw a ball and hope they're lucky enough for it to work. I'm talking tossing a Pokeball at a Metang with a catch rate of 3 (.4%). Then, if it works, the Pokemon will ignore you completely until you have one badge, ignore you 90% of the time with 2, and so on until you're at the right level. It's small and mostly worthless, but I'm imagining myself as a kid accidentally walking into an area like that and even capturing one. I'd go crazy trying to use it and while it wouldn't listen, none of the attacks against it would do much damage. All it would need is one move to go through and it would one shot a Pokemon it should be weak against. It would be a fun addition that would give everyone something to talk about, but also something tangible that immediately gives you something to work toward. One of the coolest things about Gen I was having the Pokemon League entrance right outside Viridian City. It's not under construction. There's no fence until you get inside. Immediately after you do, you're told that you're not qualified to enter yet. It's simple, but effective and exciting. More design and trust would go a long way.

I know this is mitigated somewhat by level-relative EXP gain in Gens 5 and 7, but I would kind of like to see hard level caps in the series, above which you cannot increase the level of your Pokemon whatsoever. Each time you acquire a Badge (or equivalent) your level cap is raised.

And one quick thing I mentioned in another topic, if Mega Evolution really is powered by the Pokemon-Trainer bond then one of two things needs to happen:
1 - You cannot actually equip a Mega Stone unless the Pokemon has developed a moderate Friendship with you
2 - Or, you can, but without a moderate or high Friendship the Pokemon will not obey your commands and instead pick its moves more or less at random. (If this is the case, you will be told of this when they Mega Evolve).

treated each encounter as if you were battling, say, the same bug catcher. It made the battles richer and added this friendly rivalry to the world which I quickly adopted as my headcanon. Of course, that was immediately undone with the release of Gold and Silver, but all these years later and I still haven't forgotten that sense of interconnectedness it created.

What I'd love is for the trainers you meet to move as you defeat them and show up in odd places. This means that every trainer gets their own unique character.
I believed Gen I did actually imply some trainers you already met, namely a bug catcher in route 4. But that was ignored in Gen III

I'd be nice to make the npc trainers feel more like characters. Not every trainer, but seeing a rare familiar face here and there would help a lot in getting a sense of your progress through the game. It doesn't need to be very complex either, just simple progress flags.

Also with the phone and rematch mechanics, it would have been nice if often the rematch locations weren't the same spot. Imagine youngster Joey saying he's waiting at route 23! that always seemed like a missed opportunity to me.

I put very little thought into this, but what if Pokemon had a hunger meter that affected their performance in battle? Hungry Pokemon do less damage, stuff like that. I dunno, I just think previous social systems in these games didn't really mesh with the battling part of the game too well. I like the idea of Pokemon being friends that you build a connection with and take care of, so game-play mechanics integrating that into the game would be cool.

I put very little thought into this, but what if Pokemon had a hunger meter that affected their performance in battle? Hungry Pokemon do less damage, stuff like that. I dunno, I just think previous social systems in these games didn't really mesh with the battling part of the game too well. I like the idea of Pokemon being friends that you build a connection with and take care of, so game-play mechanics integrating that into the game would be cool.
Nobody really likes hunger systems in games, because they are tedious to manage. However, they aren't automatically a bad thing to think about....

I mean, Amie/Refresh kinda does that already? You care for your Pokemon, and in turn, they might do better in battle.

I think the main problem people have with hunger meters and similar mechanics is that they're hard-to-avoid punishments, as opposed to Amie/Refresh's optional rewards. It also kind of makes it harder to spend time on the game-if a hunger meter is based on IRL time, then it discourages player from returning to the game if they've stopped playing. If it's based on gameplay time, then it's almost like a punishment for playing.

what if moves that use Magnetic or magnet in their names would work diffrently on other electric and steel types :

Magnet Rise (levitate for the user, but what if I would use it on the oponent???)
Magnetic Flux (weird move to react to two abilities only, should also react somehow to those types two)
Magnet Bomb

I always though about how electrical electrical energy works together with steel and against each other,
about EMP(electro magnetic pulse)

like Curse works diffrently with normal and ghost types.

buff the move Imprison , yes it should block or disable moves of the same type as the users moves, then it would be better, and give it to Delphox too

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom