• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dawn without new Pokemon

Ok. My point still stands why would she lose her love for Pikachu is she evolved?

Mostly or as i know then the pokemon lose his love for someone if they evolved or the pokwmon become like its sister or brother. And i am sure that she wants to stay on the same age and level so one day pokachu become her own love

Also, Buneary has very little going for her beyond her crush on Pikachu. People criticize Serena up and down for being nothing but a "shallow love interest", but that honestly applies to Dawn's Buneary far more. So if evolving into Loppuny would make her lose her crush (which is actually not even a surefire thing, since not all Pokemon that evolved underwent drastic personality changes, and some didn't even change at all), then that'd be pretty good actually. Let the girl have some character development even if it has to be in the form of an evolution personality change.

With regards to Lopunny, my first thought was that the writers and higher-ups don't think the Pokémon is suitable for Dawn's personality and especially her age, given it's reputation in much of the fandom. But then again, they didn't seem to have any similar reservations with regards to giving Mallow Tsareena. So maybe it's just that they consider Buneary to be more marketable for whatever target audience they're aiming Dawn's reappearances at.

When it comes to her not getting any new Pokémon, given that she already has a full team, I wonder if the writers are afraid about making major changes to it after the Ambipom release left a bad taste in so many people's mouth.

The most cynical explanation though, is that the current people in charge simply see Dawn as a Piplup vehicle (not that she actually is one, mind you). I know this potential perception, even on their part, is a hard pill to swallow, but something tells me Dawn wouldn't have returned three times in a short interval if Project Piplup wasn't a thing.

Weird you don't see people asking why Brock's Croagunk didn't evolve. So why Dawn's Buneary? It doesn't need to have a major reason, just like Croagunk or Ash's Buizel, it just never evolved. I assume the writers like her first 3 pokemon Piplup/Buneary/Pachirisu as is since they stayed like that from early DP for all 200+ eps

Weird you don't see people asking why Brock's Croagunk didn't evolve. So why Dawn's Buneary?
Brock's Croagunk may not have evolved but his Chansey, another happiness-based evolution and former Sinnoh cast member, did. Also, I think me and other people have mentioned this before, but the issue isn't with Buneary specifically so much as it is with Dawn being the only returning companion to not get any team changes or upgrades in her absence from the cast, and Buneary is only brought up so much because she and Quilava are the only two Pokemon on Dawn's team that can still evolve, and Buneary is brought up more because she was Dawn's first catch yet was so stagnant throughout her run as a main cast member that she never even completed her moveset, so people are logically gonna be overall more eager for her to get some sort of upgrade over Quilava. Though Ash having a Quilava of his own may also play a factor, since I think a lot of people would rather see Ash's Quilava evolve before Dawn's.

Weird you don't see people asking why Brock's Croagunk didn't evolve. So why Dawn's Buneary? It doesn't need to have a major reason, just like Croagunk or Ash's Buizel, it just never evolved. I assume the writers like her first 3 pokemon Piplup/Buneary/Pachirisu as is since they stayed like that from early DP for all 200+ eps
Because while Crogunk didn't evolve, Brock's Chansey actually did.

Which means that every Pokemon Brock had in DP actually evolved except Croagunk who serves as Brock's "Always Out of Pokeball" walking Pokemon the same way Piplup serves as Dawn's

Buneary and Quilava aren't walking Pokemon (and Lopunny and Typhlosion are infinitely more popular than both) there's far less reason for them to stay the way they are

Last edited:
With regards to Lopunny, my first thought was that the writers and higher-ups don't think the Pokémon is suitable for Dawn's personality and especially her age, given it's reputation in much of the fandom. But then again, they didn't seem to have any similar reservations with regards to giving Mallow Tsareena. So maybe it's just that they consider Buneary to be more marketable for whatever target audience they're aiming Dawn's reappearances at.

When it comes to her not getting any new Pokémon, given that she already has a full team, I wonder if the writers are afraid about making major changes to it after the Ambipom release left a bad taste in so many people's mouth.
I really don't think that they'd care about Lopunny's reputation among the fandom. Not only because that didn't stop them from giving Mallow a Tsareena, but I don't think it would be an issue when Lopunny wouldn't have a ton of screentime. I'm also not sure about them being afraid to make major changes due to Ambipom's release. I know that western fans still complain about that decision, including myself, but I don't know if the reception was as bad or worse among Japanese fans. Even if that was the case, I don't know if they'd really be worried about that when most of those people, if not all of them, would be outside of the target demographic by now.

The most cynical explanation though, is that the current people in charge simply see Dawn as a Piplup vehicle (not that she actually is one, mind you). I know this potential perception, even on their part, is a hard pill to swallow, but something tells me Dawn wouldn't have returned three times in a short interval if Project Piplup wasn't a thing.
Sadly, that's probably at least a factor. Dawn's Piplup has always been marketable. It's still one of the most popular Water starters out there, so wanting to focus more on Piplup instead of doing more with Dawn's team would sadly fit.

Because Croagunk is a gag Pokemon and with few exceptions, they don't typically evolve. I also assumed that it's rivalry with Saturn's Toxicroak during DP also meant that it wouldn't want to evolve, even though they didn't specifically state that in the series. Croagunk not evolving isn't really a problem either since Brock's Chansey evolved into Blissey. It was still an upgrade for Brock's team and showed that he had made some progress off screen. It's a bit of a strange case though. Much like Buneary, Blissey is a friendship based evolution, but Dawn had been raising Buneary longer than Brock had Blissey. He raised it since it was an egg, but Dawn still had Buneary for a bit longer and it still hasn't evolved. It isn't unusual for Pokemon to just not evolve without a major reason. Croagunk and Buizel are good examples, but I think it's a lot harder to write Buneary off like that when it is a friendship based evolution. It was Dawn's first capture, so they've had plenty of time to strengthen their bond, especially after traveling through multiple regions. If Buneary needed a stone evolution like May's Skitty or something like that instead, then I think it would be easier to just hand wave away that it just doesn't want to evolve.

The problem isn't specifically about Buneary, but just that Dawn seemingly doesn't have any upgrades for her team or noteworthy accomplishments through her off-screen adventures. If they didn't want to give her new Pokemon, then their best bet was to evolve one of Dawn's two Pokemon with evolutions, which is why Buneary keeps coming up. I would have been fine with Quilava becoming a Typhlosion too. People might have preferred for Ash's Quilava to evolve first, but since Dawn has her Quilava on her team and it has been traveling through multiple regions too, it would have been perfectly fine and believable for it to become a Typhlosion. Plus, Tyhlosion needs all the love and attention it can get. With Buneary, it had been pretty stagnant throughout DP, to the point where it never even learned a fourth move despite being Dawn's first capture, so evolving would at least give it something interesting to do. The fact that it has a Mega Evolution could have also been a potentially interesting development and another good way to show that Dawn had been making progress off screen, much like what happened to Misty and Brock during SM.

If they weren't really interested in giving Dawn new Pokemon or make even one of her two remaining Pokemon evolve, it just gives off the impression that her journey has been stagnant. I'm sure that wasn't the intent. They could have easily just wanted the nostalgia factor of her team given that they were all featured in that nice music video. But it does give off that stagnant implication when despite traveling off screen through multiple regions, Dawn doesn't really have much to show for it or even a chance to really show off her Contest skills. Given that she is one of my favorite characters in the anime and in my opinion, the best female lead thus far, I just think that's quite sad and disappointing.

The good about pokenon is that thdy do a balance for evolution to make the teams are not super powerful. In the game, i don't ebolve all the pokemons too. Mostly i love the first stage more than the final evolution stage

Considering that Pikachu and Buneary haven't interacted since BW and the crush was barely brought up as DP progressed, I highly doubt that the writers are concerned about Buneary losing her crush on Pikachu or having a Lopunny still having the crush on Pikachu at all.

I didn't see the evolved pokemon had a crush in an unevolved pokemon in the anime so for me then i thought that crush in pikachu is one of her reason of not want to evolve.

Last edited:
I think the reason why Brock's Chansey was allowed to evolve is simply because it makes a lot of sense, especially given Brock's current and former careers. With Brock being a Pokémon Doctor in training, Blissey would obviously be a very useful Pokémon to have around. And with him being a former Pokémon Breeder, it makes sense why he would take the time to carefully raise and care for Chansey and strengthen his friendship with her to the point of evolution.

Don't get me wrong; it would be great for Dawn to have Lopunny and Typhlosion on her team, but they don't have quite the same connection to contests and her goal of being Top Coordinator.

I think the reason why Brock's Chansey was allowed to evolve is simply because it makes a lot of sense, especially given Brock's current and former careers. With Brock being a Pokémon Doctor in training, Blissey would obviously be a very useful Pokémon to have around. And with him being a former Pokémon Breeder, it makes sense why he would take the time to carefully raise and care for Chansey and strengthen his friendship with her to the point of evolution.

Don't get me wrong; it would be great for Dawn to have Lopunny and Typhlosion on her team, but they don't have quite the same connection to contests and her goal of being Top Coordinator.
I don't see what makes Lopunny and Typhlosion not great fits for Contests, though? Nando himself used a Lopunny in the Grand Festival and the species in general is certainly a dead ringer for the elegance and grace that Contests are often associated with, and even then it's not like a Pokemon is required to be conventionally cute or pretty to excell at Contests anyway, since we've seen plenty of rather unorthodox species such as Banette, Swalot, and Pinsir being used to great effect. Heck, May herself was allowed to have a Blaziken, which is a species far more associated with conventional battles, and a Venusaur, which isn't typically considered to be all that cute or pretty. Compared to that, Dawn getting a Lopunny or a Typhlosion or even both seems fairly tame.

In addition to the responses people have already given, Croagunk's evolution would also undermine the rivalry it has with its evolved form (which as we just saw in the second episode of the special, the writers are still quite invested in) akin to Pikachu with Raichu.

The whole point of Contests though is to show the appeal and charm of any Pokémon though, rather than a stereotypical entry such as, say, a Milotic. Lopunny and Typhlosion are just as feasible as Buneary and Cyndaquil/Quilava. (I would suggest you check you Ruby from Pokémon Adventures, as his initial arc is breaking out of that mentality as a Coordinator).

One of the reasons why I liked watching Contests more than Gym Battles was to see which Pokémon the writers would pick and what they would do with it. Case in point, Kricketune (aside from its renowned cry) was largely something I ignored and thought quite useless - however, I highly enjoyed the writers turning such an early game underwhelming Bug into a tour de force of bladework and song during the Grand Festival, courtesy of Nando.

She don't have a new pokémon because:
A. She already got a full team,
B. She decided after Sinnoh to keep her team intact.
1643305205427.png
Why no evolution? Probably because of nostalgia.
She barely has a goal anymore. Sinnoh contests again? She didn't care about missing one of them in the first two-parter, either.
Wrong on both accounts.

Re-doing Contests in Sinnoh makes sense. We know she did them in Johto, Hoenn and Unova (I don't know if she mentioned Kanto but maybe I'm forgetting) so re-doing Contests in your home region is like coming full circle. Unlike Gym badges, contest ribbons expire so she would be doing all new Contests battling different people (and most likely Zoey is still her rival at least) so it is fitting for her.

I mean what else is she to do? There's never been anything indicating you can't compete in the same regions Grand Festival twice.

She don't have a new pokémon because:
A. She already got a full team,
B. She decided after Sinnoh to keep her team intact.
Why no evolution? Probably because of nostalgia.
I still think that both reasons there are kind of weak. There is a nice sentiment about Dawn wanting to keep her team and still work on making them all shine, but at the same time, it feels like such an unnecessary limitation for her. Unlike someone like Misty who specializes on one type and generally stays in one location, Dawn has been traveling around different regions to take part in Contests. The idea that Dawn has traveled through multiple regions off screen and didn't find a Pokemon she wanted to catch or considered trying to raise some new Pokemon to try out new routines is kind of unbelievable to me. I wouldn't expect her to catch a ton of Pokemon, but nothing new despite traveling through Johto, Hoenn and even Unova really does not make sense to me. It wouldn't be hard for her to rotate her team to try out new Pokemon.

As for the nostalgia factor, that could be the case when they featured her team in that music video when they could have easily just kept the focus on Dawn and Piplup instead, but that would still seem like such a lame excuse for not giving her anything new. I could kind of understand the nostalgic appeal of her Buneary since that was her first Pokemon capture and was featured for the vast majority of DP, but I think that's a lot harder to argue in the case of Quilava. Outside of her special and her return in BW, Quilava hasn't really been featured that much, so I don't know how much nostalgia there would be for her Quilava. If they weren't keeping it unevolved to give her a Hisuian Typhlosion, which doesn't appear to be the case, then what was the point of keeping it unevolved? Why not give her a Typhlosion? As sad as it sounds, even giving her Typhlosion a brief cameo and being featured in a music video would be a step up from how much minimal attention it has gotten in the anime. I still think it's weak to keep Buneary unevolved after all this time, but her Quilava could easily evolve too.

The nostalgia factor also falls flat when most other returning characters have been allowed some new Pokemon, if not just some sign of overall progress. Misty didn't get a new Pokemon in her SM returns, but that didn't really matter when she still got a Mega Gyarados, which still effectively showed that she had gotten stronger as a Gym Leader. If they didn't want to give Dawn new Pokemon or even evolve one of her two remaining Pokemon on her team, then it just gives the impression that Dawn is stagnant more than anything else. It really makes me wonder why they'd want to limit Dawn's progress so much by not giving her anything new.

I still think that both reasons there are kind of weak. There is a nice sentiment about Dawn wanting to keep her team and still work on making them all shine, but at the same time, it feels like such an unnecessary limitation for her.
You may think so, but that's what she decided on.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom