• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

do you hide your passion for pokemon?

DO YOU HIDE THAT YOU PLAY

• Yes no one must know!!!

Votes: 23 8.6%
  • I only tell my friends/other fans

Votes: 106 39.4%
  • I talk about it once in a while and most people know it play

Votes: 79 29.4%
  • IM A LOUD AND PROUND FAN OF POKEMON TO EVERYONE!

Votes: 61 22.7%

• Total voters
Re: Do you hide in the poke-closet?

im an "I only tell my friends/other fans."
but i wish i could be a "IM A LOUD AND PROUND FAN OF POKEMON TO EVERYONE!"

Ya i wish i could be like that.

i remember me and my friends at school every one loved it even the girls we had our schools own E-4 (i was the champ for about 7 months =D) we played thought gen2,gen3 then when diamond/peril came out we thought it was the best thing ever and we played like mad then one day it just seemed to die off because of shooters witch i found just sad.

only me and my best friend for that school still truely know that pokemon is the best game ever i remember meeting him for the frist time in a year and just walking thought his room he sits down on his bed and seid "hey you wana battle".

god the memory now if i even seid that i like "origal 151" in my school witch hates pokemon totaly i would go from "one of the most popular and widely loved kids in school" to rock bottem loser.

I do not hide the fact that I am a fan, but I don't splurge it out either.

I don't necessarily hide that I play, rather than not even bring it up.

In high school I didn't even bother, I think everyone knew I was a Pokemon and anime dork...

I dont think people care so much in college though because by that time your an adult

Yes, pretty much 100%. I get enough shit as is for other things, as far as I'm concerned it would just add fuel to the fire. I don't even tell my family, they make fun of me for playing video games anyway, Pokémon would be even worse.

But if it came down to either letting everyone know or never enjoying the series again, I'd scream it from the top of a mountain.

Well, I don't go around announcing it to the world... but if someone asked me or something, I'd tell them. Or if I saw someone else playing it, I'd maybe tell them I liked it too.

And I would play the games out in public, no one can tell how obsessed I am with the whole thing just because I'm playing one of the games, right? ;-)

Playing Pokemon is different than watching it. Me and a few others have discussed the good ol' days of Pokemon (KANTO, PEOPLE. Maybe Johto.) but besides Boomerang showing reruns of the older episodes that me and the others watch religiously every day, you can't really admit to watching new episodes now. And since everyone here in the US only knows our version, if they'd ever catch it on CN and heard the voices/lines, I'd be considered weird and thus, friendless. Yes I'm 24, but come on. If someone watched, let's say Naruto at my age, I'd think they were really weird. I'm not weird or a loser, would prefer not to be thought of as such, and would prefer to get an attractive boyfriend one day. It's stupid but people my age who watch anime are judged negatively by others my age in this country and I can't control it. Besides, if I know my friends DON'T watch it, why on earth would I bring it up to them?!
HOWEVER!! My students know I watch it because they do as well. We connect through common interests and I'm a cool teacher because of it. Yay for kindergarten!!!!

Anyway, the game is acceptable to talk about. Perhaps not running out the day of the release. Actually, the classic games are more than acceptable since they came out when I was a tween. People my age tend to get this urge to "catch them all!" Really, it happened to multiple people I knew this summer. (Including me) Wonder if there's a medical term for it?

So you watch anime at age 24, but find it weird if someone your age viewed anime too? Isn't that kind of hypocritical? I know it sounds weird but there are attractive guys who are into anime. Not every man who watches anime is a unaccomplished fat slob who compulsively eats junk food day and night.

Also weird people are in relationships all the time. This is partially because there is someone out there for everyone. I know a guy whos extremely competitive and every time he wins at a video game he jumps out and down and screams in excitement. If he really enjoyed himself he starts slamming and throwing chairs.

How this guy got a girlfriend that is attractive? The world couldn't answer that.

Meh, I don't really talk about it too much. I mean, I've loved Pokemon since i was little and all, but unless someone else talks about it, I keep it as a personal hobby. But if I find someone at school who actually admits to a half-nerd (me) that they play Pokemon games, then I'll completely open up to 'em. And if I find out they are competitive and are EV trainers too, I might not feel myself being pinched.

My friends and my whole class know that I like it but they don't care because they actually like it too (we all played it and watched the show on TV when we were little seeing how we were all around when it was first released).

One time I had a substitute teacher but she just sat there so about 9 people (out of 14 since it was the last week of school) in my class (including me) pulled out a DS/GB and started playing Pokemon (Sapphire, Emerald, Platinum, LeafGreen, SoulSilver and what not). The classroom we have is huge and has couches at the back so we all sat back there while everyone watched us and offered some (not so good) advice.

TL;DR: No, I don't.

People overhear me talking about Pokemon every so often, so I'd say it's common knowledge I'm a Pokemon fan. Nobody ever bugs me about it, and why would I care if they did? I'm already a socially awkward loser. ;P

Well i dont but some of my mates do. I left a facebook post on my mates page telling him to come round so we could play pokemon and he told me he had to delete it before his new girl friend saw. i lol'd. Im happy with my gf just thinking im a dork.
Im kinda shocked to see all this poke hate though, at my school pokemon is cool. My house even sung the pokemon theme song at house competition

Last edited:

Those who matter don't mind; those who mind don't matter.

Those who matter don't mind; those who mind don't matter.

This.

I won't go about proclaiming my love of Pokémon from the highest hilltop or anything, but I won't make any effort to hide it either.

I can't consider it something to be ashamed of. Hell, I'll gladly play it in public and in front of my mates. Nobody gives me guff about it. Even if they did, I could hardly be bothered to care. As a rule, I don't hide any of my hobbies. If a mate can't respect me as I am, then he's no mate of mine. I don't wear masks for anyone, just as I don't expect anyone to wear them for me.

And honestly, there are far worse things a bloke could be into than Pokémon.

Not really. Most of the people I know already know I play Pokemon, so that means I have nothing to lose! :D

I'm also a band geek, considered one of the lowest social status in a high school social status, besides there's worse things peepes can do that play child videogames, you should all know the worser things a minor can do

Well most of my pals are Halo/Modern Warfare fans so I dont say anything.
Tell me about it. They're more obsessed about that than I am about pokemon, so if they ever make fun of me for it (which noone has yet) then I'll just bring that up. And, come on, you see children running around all the time pretending to be in the army, so they can hardly say that it's more grown up than pokemon cause it has guns.

Even if it was more grown up, who the hell cares? Trying your hardest to be grown-up, while losing things that you love along the way is the most childish thing of all.

Last edited:

Just because most of us are in middle/high school doesnt mean we auomatically have to grow up...we can still be young at heart even with tons of responsibilities

Used to be scared but then that term came in my head 'Freedom of speech' Changed to 'Freedom of choice'

I literally yell pokemon in classes .-." Everybody has gotten used to it, some people call me weird, geek or some stuff, but I just shrug it off. Then they shut up

Well, say if somebody started reminiscing about the good old days with Red and Blue, I wouldn't get involved because I don't usually talk to those people and I'd probably try and correct them in what they're saying about Pokemon. But if someone asks me if I play, I'd just say those four magic words:

"Yeah, it's frickin' adorable!"

I don't think Pokemon is cute, I like ordering my Pokezz to beat the crap outta people, but y'know :p

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom