• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you miss Ash and Misty's arguments?

Do You Miss Ash and Misty's Arguments?

• Hell Yes

Votes: 60 48.0%
  • Hell No

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I didn't care for them

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • Another Misty thread, r u serious(Scott, Gible post here)

Votes: 24 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The comedic elements were once the driving force as to what made the show. I know people enjoyed the battles but when I watched it with friends it was about the comedy value, that so many other cartoons don't have.

Agreed,one of the reasons i liked pokemon more than other shows(like Naruto,Yugioh etc) is because of comedy this anime used to have being less focused on battles,rivals and following of games so much.

Misty was a huge part of what made the show funny, as well as Ash who played off each other so well. Aside from that Ash was just very funny PERIOD. Now he's so damn straight forward and serious, it goes to prove how the comedy has to have dramatically subsided.

True,Misty played her comedy role very good with Ash,implementing humor and drama with her tomboyish yet caring personality,along with Ash naivness and stupidity complimenting each other well.
Her chemistry with group worked great,bringing more humor and joking having working dynamic which felt like the real group of friends which doesnt seem as being the case(to me) with later girls and their lack of interaction with certain members of cast.When she was on cast and later on through cameos she alwys seemed to bring some life into current group dynamic.

I guess part of a reason why comedy seems to be reduced is in characters maturing.I like the Ash how he is now and development through which he went over the years,but in exchange some aspects which gave comedy from his side over time have been toned down in favor of other things.

I already rephrased what i meant to say.

Very well.

I never denied how DP has comedy with TR,sometimes from interaction with main group,Croagunk etc,but compared to original series i feel comedy aspect has been toned down.

I disagree, I wouldn't say it's toned down, but it's migrated to other areas of humor. Gible for example is another way of bringing amusement to the show, with that amazing blank stare and crazy biting onto everything. Or Barry who just is. Or Brock who finds new ways to hit on a girl in what I'd consider a funny manner. Or Ash's silly and oblivious personality. Heck, while others may disagree, I find Piplup to be strangely amusing too (probably because it's so proud, it's silly). The Gym Leaders of Sinnoh have also proven to be really great and amusing characters (need I mention Byron?).

DP is toned down in the type of humor Kanto had, yes, but humor overall, no. It depends on what you're looking for, I'm sure.

I personally don't have the need to watch the characters argue all the time - I got tired of Ash and Misty's bickering because it eventually felt so forced and dragged out.

CrackFox said:
Fair enough if that's what you believe but personally I agree with 'Pokemon Fan'. The comedic elements were once the driving force as to what made the show. I know people enjoyed the battles but when I watched it with friends it was about the comedy value, that so many other cartoons don't have.

I'm more prone to believe that what drove the original series (particularly the Kanto season) was the freshness of the show. It was interesting to see the Pokémon world in animation and how the Pokémon are portrayed. I remember I was interested in the adventures Ash and co went through and how unique everything seemed - the humor wasn't what made me watch, although it of course was a welcomed addition. Same thing to this day as well.

Again, though, the constant bickering between Ash and Misty wasn't always what I'd consider a part of the funny aspects of the show. They could be funny, sure, but I'm personally glad the arguments aren't there anymore.

Which is why I also downright disagree with what you say here:
Misty was a huge part of what made the show funny

That's giving the character waaaaay too much credit. I sincerely do not think Misty had a huge part - she had her moments, but not enough for me to consider her responsible for the majority of the show's funniness.

I disagree, I wouldn't say it's toned down, but it's migrated to other areas of humor. DP is toned down in the type of humor Kanto had, yes, but humor overall, no. It depends on what you're looking for, I'm sure.

People have different views on humor,and while some thing one could find being "funny" others wont.

Type of comedy which Kanto used to have with slapstic humor,arguing between protagonists,Ashs idioticy in earlier days being naive,impulsive little kid,Mistys bluntless gave to show different kind of style which isnt presnt anymore in new seasons which while have their fun moments are not as funny as this anime used to be in my opinion.

I personally don't have the need to watch the characters argue all the time - I got tired of Ash and Misty's bickering because it eventually felt so forced and dragged out.

Which is your opinion.If anything the whole character interaction between DP group feels overall forced and artificial to me,not being as realistic or enjoyable like chemistry original trio had.One of examples would be interaction between Brock and Dawn,who barely has any moments.

That's giving the character waaaaay too much credit. I sincerely do not think Misty had a huge part - she had her moments, but not enough for me to consider her responsible for the majority of the show's funniness.

She brought more comedy to original series than Tracey and Brock ever did,her flamoboyant and dynamic persona,her impulsive reactions on Ashs idiotic actions,slapstic humor she provided,aswell her witty remarks makes her one of the main reasons why original series had so much comedy.

You have your opinion about this which is fine,but i dont think people giver her any undeserved credit when they say how she was one of main components which provided to pokemon series specific dose of humor.

How much credit certain character deseves is vewry delicate subject to talk about,Those who like some character might exaggerate,but at same time opposiote side which dont like him often falls under influence of their dislike toward something not being able to bring rationale and fair estimation about thse things.

All three main girls in this show have both good and bad sides being equally important.Each of them gave their contribution to this series.

Last edited:
And this sums up this entire discussion.

So should we continue or just agree to disagree?

I guess in this case we achieved compromise,so instead of pointless arguing it would be wiser to get back on right track with this thread.

And this sums up this entire discussion.

So should we continue or just agree to disagree?

You're talking to a Misty fan, they don't agree to disagree. They keep on coming back until they convert everybody to their Christian Lord Misty. All bow down before the Misty.

On topic. I agree with Chatsy and gasp Scott/Gliscor'd (still can't get used to the new name). People are overexaggerating the incidence of those fights and their funniness.

On the poll thing: R U EFFING SERIOUS, NOT ANOTHER MISTY THREAD.

As a matter of fact, yes I do. Their arguments were hilarious and one of my favorite parts of the old series.

And for the record, I still cannot believe people judge the Misty fanbase so harshly thanks to one or two really rabid fans (you know which one I'm talking about). It's getting on my nerves.

*goes to read the rest of this thread*

And for the record, I still cannot believe people judge the Misty fanbase so harshly thanks to one or two really rabid fans (you know which one I'm talking about). It's getting on my nerves.

This. I mean really, every time there's a Misty thread I worry more about the fan haters derailing the thread more than the rabid fans.

On-topic: I do miss the arguments. They were funny most of the time but I'm glad that both characters went through Character Development that turned the arguments to teasing from time to time.

On the poll thing: R U EFFING SERIOUS, NOT ANOTHER MISTY THREAD.

If you object to them so much, don't seek them out :/
It's a shame that a thread like this can only provoke Misty's fans.
You either complain and put her down, or you criticize others for liking her. This thread is gonna go on forever. Maybe it should have been reserved for the Misty club, scene as the lovers are gonna say yes and the haters are gonna say no, which will only lead to conflict.

To be honest if you guys have noticed, its mostly J-boogie making all these Misty threads. He also made that thread about Misty being an Elite 4 member a few weeks back.

There's nothing wrong with discussing Misty from time to time, but there are club sections and shipping threads for this kind of stuff. This is the general anime section, not the Misty section.

There's nothing wrong with discussing Misty from time to time, but there are club sections and shipping threads for this kind of stuff. This is the general anime section, not the Misty section.

I'm sure there are a lot of threads people don't bother reading. Why can't people just ignore these kinds of threads like they do others that they don't have any interest in? Lots of people like discussing her, she's an important part of the anime, and that's what this site is about. Discussing anything Pokemon. We're not gonna pretend she doesn't exist because some people would like us too. We respect your opinions fully, but you guys always have to insult ours by blaming it on 'nostalgia, or implying that we're crazy fans who dream about her at night.

You guys can't get over the fact that she's so well liked. I'd love to know why, without hearing the usual excuses as mentioned above.

You're talking to a Misty fan, they don't agree to disagree. They keep on coming back until they convert everybody to their Christian Lord Misty. All bow down before the Misty.

I dont consider myself being some "rabid fan".I respect opinions from others and in majority of cases its not Misty fans who start unecessary discussions but opposite side.I mostly go to defend said character when people try to degrade said charactr and its achievements,drawing borderline with character bashing.

Just because Misty fans want her back(just like others want their favorites back too),and just because we defend said girl character from wrongly said thins being full of bias doesnt make us "bad fans".That title should go to much worse category of fans,which i wont mention here.

Unlike some people here i never put down any character in this show,constantly rtrying to show him in bad light(cant say the same about others),because while some i prefer more than others i respect all of them for things going for them and what they did for this show.

You either complain and put her down, or you criticize others for liking her.

The thing is people who dont like Misty here cant handle the fact that Misty was just as much well liked charcter and respected like May and Dawn are.They are annoyed that people mention her,wanting that she gets forgotten,often making fun of those who bring her up her with usual statements"stop living in fast","Misty was a lowly minor character,who was useless" etc.Obviously not true.

According to them,there is no problems while discussing any other character or anything related to pokemon as long as its not Misty,because they cant stand her.

Well this is all i have to say.Just because Misty wasnt "favorite cup of tea" to some people around here,that doesnt mean how those who like her should be attacked,named by all kind of "indirect insults",trying to disregard said character.Misty was a great character,she had her share of achievement being just as great as any other member in this anime and people have every right wanting to see her again.

Im still trying to figure out,why people who hate Misty so much,does even bother posting in threads about her.Its not like they have to read about her and comments being posted by her fans.They complain about these threads,when they have option of not going to them.

To Gliscor'd(former Scott):Before you accuse others for making Misty threads,you should think about it,who exactly here mentions this character most.From what i noticed you often bring Misty up when others dont even mention her,pointing out how much shes gone with purpose being trying to pull out reactions from her fanbase.

Last edited:
I don't really care for them, maybe because I can't really remember any outstanding instances :p

The whole "mean girl beating up on the naive boy" is funny at times, but after a while, it gets exhausted, for me at least. I understand that some people enjoy this type of humor, and I respect that. But for me, it's not something I would miss.

My indifference is also affected by watching Naruto (Sakura and Naruto, anyone? Hilarious at time, especially when Sai is involved, but other times it's just "meh")

If you object to them so much, don't seek them out :/

But it's just standing there... taunting me.

You either complain and put her down, or you criticize others for liking her.

I don't criticize others for liking her... I criticize those who take it too far. Some of the posts in here make it seem like Misty and Ash arguing was a constant in the show and it was happening all the time. Truth is, I'm rewatching the original series right now and I can tell you it's been hella toned down after Kanto and even then, it wasn't really constant.

Were they funny ? Most of the time yes. Did they get old after a while ? yes, mostly because Misty and Ash were arguing about how to be a pokémon trainer when Misty wasn't doing jack in pokémon training (in all of Kanto... she did the Princess Day festival and that's pretty much it... with Ash's and Brock's pokémon to top) When she started doing more than just stand there starting in OI and Johto, the fights didn't hold as much importance in the show. Do I miss them ? No. Ash isn't a hotheaded rookie who does mistakes all the time, it wouldn't make sens anymore.

the lovers are gonna say yes and the haters are gonna say no, which will only lead to conflict.

Well... yeah. This is what J-Boogie does. Start thread about Misty to "know people's opinion", somebody somewhere says very calmly "Hey, Misty's not all that", followed by 14 posts of Misty fans rabidly saying the entire franchise was ruined when she left seeing as hitting somebody or something with a hammer 4-5 times in 278 episodes apparently qualifies as regular slapstick humour, followed by me and others shaking our heads in disbelief and posting sarcasting comments. The end.

Nobody's opinion is changed, nobody's really getting anything outta them and everybody's pissy.

You're one to talk. Oh look, Mister "I plaster Gliscor's name everywhere even if it's off-topic" now plays it mature and level-headed...

I dont consider myself being some "rabid fan".

You know I like you Pkmf132 (If you don't, I like you and enjoy hearing your opinions even if we disagree), but everytime someone posts something about Misty that says that she maybe isn't the most awesome characters in the anime, 2-3 posts later, you reply...

Im still trying to figure out,why people who hate Misty so much,does even bother posting in threads about her.

I'm still trying to figure out why people who like Misty so much even bother posting in threads that aren't about her. Bottom line, everybody's got their opinions and a right to express it. Just because they don't like a character doesn't mean they shouldn't have the right to discuss her, without bashing her though.

Final thoughts on this thread:

I liked the Ash/Misty fights in Kanto, but they were toned down by the writers in Orange and especially Johto.

It seems to me that people have false memories of the original series, Ash/Misty did *not* argue all the time, and there's no possible way people can think they did.

Yes! They were completely hilarious. Not only did they help give the characters more personality, but they also helped build the groups bonds. Yeah, I know fighting doesn't seem like it can bring people together, but resolving the arguement can.

The "too immature" argument is invalid because they are/were 10 years old at the time.

The "too immature" argument is invalid because they are/were 10 years old at the time.

Agreed. But they still didn't last.

Just like this "myth" that Misty constantly hit people on the head with mallets, when in reality her mallet is only seen in like 3-4 Kanto eps and never again.

It gets to the point where people make up their own fanfiction about what Misty did in the show, and then they actually believe themselves over what she actually did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom