• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you play with the pokemon you like best, or with the strongest?

I play with the ones that I like the best, even though they're always called weak.

I usually go for Pokemon I like. That being said, if the Pokemon is unbearably weak I don't put in the time to train them. Like, I love Azurill but I will probably never use it on my team.
But Pokemon like Plusle, Butterfree, and Ivysaur I still use. Even if they are far from the strongest, I like them as Pokemon and they are trainable.

I play with the ones I like best. It's not really fun (for me) when the team is too strong because that then takes away the fun of the game, imo. I like the close battles with the gym leaders where it's neck and neck and I'm not sure whether I'm going to win. I like the struggle of it, basically.

If I beat the game with the strongest it doesn't seem like an achievement. But if I can beat the game with the pokemon I like (most of which are considered to be weak, or underdogs) then it feels as if I achieved something (idk what, but it does).

So yeah, I like to play with my favourite pokemon <3 not the strongest. :p

i play with the ones i like best that are the strongest, who says i have to play with my weak favs? or that the pokemon i like best aren't strong? :p

I always go with the ones that I like best. Of course, I tend to have some kind of fondness for most Pokémon species, so it tends to boil down to whoever I have an interest in at the time. Strength is a factor, sure, but it alone doesn't make a Pokémon great, in my opinion. For example, Eelektross may dominate the battlefield, but I personally couldn't care less about it - its design is terrible enough for me to avoid it regardless.

A little of both. I always put all three starters on my team, whether they're bad or not, and I generally try to go for Pokémon that are strong and help round out my team but if I don't like it I don't use it whether it's strong or not.

I use my favorites.

That is why I have random gears (Kinklang) a fire pig (Emboar) and a motherfucking dragon (Reshiram) with a KAT (Liepard)

Yea.... I just use the ones I like.

I use ones I like and train them up good. Sometimes I alter my team to suit the needs of a gym or Pokemon League though.

I don't choose pokemon based on their strength, that's for sure, but I don't use a pokemon because I like it either. I use the ones because I end up with them. For instance, I had a Pelipper on my Sapphire version team. I was about to get to Lilycove City, and decided that I should get a new member for my team. A Wingull appeared, and it was caught because I wanted a new pokemon.

After that I will usually grow to like my pokemon in their own way, but I don't usually specifically hunt for a pokemon I like.

I don't really use pokemon that I like OR are the best. I tend to use pokemon (lately) that I have never used before. As my Blue team is currently

Parasect
Raichu
Sandslash
Dodrio
Blastoise (Had to pick him :)
Chansey

I use what ever I can get. I always get the basic types, Fire, Water, Grass. Then What ever looks good that complements my team I'll get.

I always lean torwards pokemon with high Attack or Special Attack and Speed.

Like:Absol, Haxure, Salamence, Flygon, Charizard, Sceptile, Lucario, Feraligatr...

I always have at least one of the above on my team.

I usually use stronger Pokemon. Some of the Pokemon I like best are sometimes weaker Pokemon so I won't keep them in my party.

Having a completely balanced team is very important to me. However, I always choose my favorite pokemon out of the types that I need.

I've caught almost every Pokemon and I like them all, so I don't really have an answer for that.

I mainly choose Pokémon that I like, but sometimes I use them because they are strong. Other times I just use Pokémon because I end up with them. Say I need a Grass type and encounter one, I will catch it. Then later on I'll decide if I keep it in my team or not. My Pokémon don't need to be godly, but they at least have to able to be useful in battle ^^'

Well I don't really pick them because I like them, I like them all. I sometimes pic by how they look, or there type so that my team is even.

I try to balance out my team, and not catch two of the same type (although I sometimes end up doing that anyway.) When I play the first run through of a game, I usually just pick out certain Pokemon I encounter along the way. Sometimes its because I like their design, sometimes its because I think their type could come in handy, and occasionally its just because they're there. I don't focus on whether they're necessarily the "strongest" pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom