• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you still get judged for playing Pokemon?

Half of my class is into Pokémon, 20% has pre-ordered the European BW2, and the other half of the class likes to watch people playing Pokémon. No probs here at all!

Not really, but I don't let a lot of people know about that I like Pokemon. Even though I've been told that it's cool to like Pokemon again in public since it's kind of retro, I don't really feel comfortable with letting people know some of my hobbies. I was judged and made fun of for liking Pokemon a lot in the sixth grade, which was ironic considering the year before practically everyone was into it, and even before I got into Pokemon, whatever I liked usually was one of the main things kids teased me about and since I was, and am, pretty sensitive, that made the idea of telling people in person about what I like really difficult. It's not a problem online since the social interaction isn't direct, so it's less stressful for me. The only times I have told other people are in situations where I knew it was safe, like before my middle school and high school graduations since I wouldn't see them for at least a few years, if at all and they were talking about Pokemon anyway, but since I'm not good at jumping into conversations and knowing when it's safe to talk about it, I just keep it to myself. That might sound overly cautious when the times I've mentioned it to others didn't lead to much judgment, if any, but I'd prefer to be overly cautious than risk being made fun of again, even though it is completely ridiculous for people to make fun of me for enjoying Pokemon or any of my hobbies.

The only people who know about it are my parents, my older brother, a friend of mine and her family. My parents have been fine with it from the start and don't have a problem that I'm still playing and watching Pokemon in my twenties. I think my older brother doesn't mind it, although he did think I was getting too old for it by the time I turned thirteen and he probably wonders how I can still watch the anime at this point, but he hasn't said anything about it to me in years, so I'm going to go with that he's either fine with it or he just doesn't care. My friend is obviously fine with it since we're both into Pokemon and other anime series.

Not at all, pretty much my whole year level are still playing the games since we got all into the series during Gen II-III. However, we've all moved on from the show a LONG time ago.

Hm... no.

No one never judged me for liking Pokémon, to be honest.

Yeah. Pretty harshly, TBH. High School judges the crap out of everybody.

I always try not to be too obvious a Pokéfan, but as with every hobby, it tends to show at some point. So, yeah, classmates found out, and apparently I'm a childish retard. When they're bored they like to sarcastically scream "Pogeymahn!" and "Gotta catch 'em all!" randomly and insult the franchise. Within my earshot. Purposely.

Oh, well. At least they get entertained. GERTERH KERCH ERM ERR!

Parents did too initially, but then I managed to convince them that this is not a game wherein you randomize all your shit and get 9001!!111oneone!!eleven!! pointz.

But whatever. I have gotten better at the fine art of Not Giving A Damn. If I'm having legit fun, not doing drugs or killing people or whatever, they don't have a right to interfere, do they?

Well, I've never let anyone know. Not that it would make any difference really since like Dragonfyre, I have been honing my high level skills of Not Giving A Damn. If I were to see a classmate playing a Pokemon game though, that's when I would open up to them.

Yeah. Pretty harshly, TBH. High School judges the crap out of everybody.

I always try not to be too obvious a Pokéfan, but as with every hobby, it tends to show at some point. So, yeah, classmates found out, and apparently I'm a childish retard. When they're bored they like to sarcastically scream "Pogeymahn!" and "Gotta catch 'em all!" randomly and insult the franchise. Within my earshot. Purposely.

Oh, well. At least they get entertained. GERTERH KERCH ERM ERR!

Parents did too initially, but then I managed to convince them that this is not a game wherein you randomize all your shit and get 9001!!111oneone!!eleven!! pointz.

But whatever. I have gotten better at the fine art of Not Giving A Damn. If I'm having legit fun, not doing drugs or killing people or whatever, they don't have a right to interfere, do they?

Dont wory that's just high school for you, people will always find something to hassle you about no matter what you do! A lot of the people on these forums are over 18 (I'm 24) so there's nothing childish about liking Pokemon! Once you're out of high school no one will care about what you're into :p

Quite a lot of my friends are into Pokemon and they ones who aren't always reminisce about when they did like it if I talk to them!

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever been judged before and oddly that makes me a little upset. I've been into Pokemon for 9 years and I have yet to be badly judged. Oh well I guess it's not a big deal anyways, I don't really talk about my interests with someone unless we have the same thing in common or I'm asked about it.

Nobody really cares or says anything, everybody pretty much knows I'm mental and will do as I please so I'm never questioned on anything I do, lol

No. I play it at lunch at school (high school) sometimes, and the worst I get is one of my friends telling me that it's a stupid game. But he thinks that pretty much every popular game is stupid, including League of Legends, Skyrim, Zelda, etc. and only plays Starcraft.

Most of my friends/family either embrace the idea, or just don't care. Several of my friends are about my age and still love Pokemon.

No, not really. A couple of people have asked why I like it but nothing other than that. I know quite a few people who like pokemon, I even talked about pokemon shoes for an hour with one of these friends.

Some of my friends rib me for it, but then they're into some equally childish things so the intent isn't malicious or anything.

I was only judged once in high school, when I brought in the Lugia figurine I got for free from purchasing SS to use in a photography class and two male classmates promptly made fun of it. Now that I'm in college, I hang out with well over thirty pokemon fans every Tuesday and Thursday.

Nope, everyone at my high school loves Pokemon. I think we actually have an Anime Club too...

haven't been so far
but there are times when I get a "Hell Yeah!" or a something like that when I play my Pokemon games or wear my Cyndaquil hat around
even at my brothers High School they're mostly all Pokemon lovers

Where I live the "Pokémon fever" from when Pokémon was a new franchise didn't get to the same degree (pun intended) as in the US (but it had some impact though).
Let's just say that saying I'm still into Pokémon in public in the stage of life I'm in now is not a very good idea.

I get some light teasing from my "normal" friends but for the most part they are okay with it. You'll find that people are more open-minded about Pokemon in college than they are in high school.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom