• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you still get judged for playing Pokemon?

Anything related to Pokemon is usually met with an extremely heavily sarcastic saying of "Cool guy".
I pretty much immediately get made fun of if I say anything even slightly "non mainstream/nerdy"... so yeah :/
But to be honest, after reading some of the stuff on here, that might just change.

During my senior year of high school (two years ago already! :boom:) me and several people (including the non-nerds!) played Pokémon at lunch. Everyone knew the original Pokémon theme song as well

I have yet to experience any judging from anyone. I may get a few odd looks when I whip out one of my Pokemon games, but I've never had anyone come up to me and judge me.

I got judged when I was in high school because all my classmates were humongous assholes. But now nobody really cares. Late '90s/early '00s nostalgia has caught up to my generation, so now I can hold extensive Pokémon geek-out sessions with my peers. I actually received great praise this past Halloween when I wore my Satoshi hat to work. :)

Meh. Dunno or care how people react to it. Along with the two-three Homestucks (me included), I see like five or six others sporting Pokemon clothes or etc, or playing the games in class, or drawing the arts (also like me XD). So some good reception for it in this redneck hole that's called my high school. But there'll always be those who like to make fun of people regardless.

I don't let my peers know that I like Pokemon. I was teased a lot in 6th to 8th grade for playing Pokemon a few times on the school bus. In high school, even when I came across several Pokemon fans, I wouldn't disclose it because I didn't want to go back to being known as the Pokemon freak girl, haha. The only time I've mentioned liking Pokemon in college was during a speech about how I met my best friend in 6th grade. No one in the class made a big deal about it. Well, maybe they assume that I don't play Pokemon still. ;(

The only people who truly know are my parents, two brothers, and some of my parents' friends. My mom often tells me to stop playing, that Pokemon interferes with my responsibilities. My dad jokes when he sees the Pokemon movies on TV and tells me to watch it (but he doesn't offend/judge me). One time, my dad's coworker got a Pokemon toy from one of those happy meal things, his kids didn't want it, so he gave the toy to my dad to give it to me. :B I don't even want the toys. I just play the games. I try my very best to explain how complex and interesting Pokemon can be to my brothers. Sadly, my brothers prefer games like Call of Duty. I really can't get them to play anything I like to play. They sometimes give me a hard time since they don't want me playing 'baby' games but want me playing their games with them. Uh huh.

I didn't really tell anyone about it in elementary and middle school, as the only kids who played Pokemon at the time were annoying and teased mercilessly. By the time I was a senior in high school three weeks from graduation, though, I did not care in the slightest. I brought my DS to school one day, and three other people I knew had a DS within three days. It was good times.

Now that I'm 23, I still don't care -- the only people who judge are my immediate family members, and they don't even care all that much; they just find it oddly amusing.

Some do, some don't,all depends on the person. I re-intoduced my whole school to pkemon soon after I moved. now 3/4 of the school loves it.

I've been an outward Pokemon fan since I was ten. Traded cards with people, battled by link cable, you name it. I've never really been belittled for it, but I disregard those who look down on me. They don't know me, nor do they hold any value in my life. My other hated it for a long time, but has come to accept it. My boyfriend, who is considerably older than me, doesn't understand it, but is very supportive. (he won me a bunch of pokemon plushies at the shore and tells me what pack of cards I should buy, based on the picture. *rolls eyes*) One of my friends is a former fan, though.

I've never really let things bother me like that, in high school a few people were confused by it but I had fun so it wasn't a big deal. My husband's mom was the one who really was kinda irked by it, she thought we were way too old for it (mostly the card game part) but she kinda got over it. Then again I've been told by two separate people that girls don't really get the blunt of it, because it seems like another cutesy thing. (Little do they know about the massacre my Rayquaza bequeaths to the world in my dreams.) And it's kind of annoying for guy's to get the brunt of the judgement :/. Especially because 'nerdy girls' seems to be a fad at the moment.
Anyway I'm in college and play in public and wear the shirts and the socks. I'm down right proud, because they are so many worse things I could be into versus a highly imaginative world of critters.

I didn't tell many people in high school, although I know I would have been picked on for it. I used to do the same as others and hide all my stuff when people came over but now I couldn't care less. A lot of people know and no body really says anything.

Mostly last year (I was a freshman). People would call me 'puke-mon freshman' because I always had pokemon stickers all over my locker. But everything's cool this year.

Yes. Almost all of the teens at my church, even my friend Philip, pick on me for playing Pokemon. They pick on me even more for liking the older ones. -_-

Yes. Almost all of the teens at my church, even my friend Philip, pick on me for playing Pokemon. They pick on me even more for liking the older ones. -_-

Wow, really? In my town its the other way around, most of the people who like/accept pokémon (that is already a rare find) pick on me for liking the new ones, and even for playing the current games, cause ''OMG they're so immature now!''. Yes, that is an actual quote.

I did get scolded once for playing Platinum in my summer vacations and doing the homework on the last day, lol.
Also a few days ago, for I was training my Pokémon in White 2 till 3AM, the next morning, my sister scolded me loads. But she didn't scold that much. :p

Every one in my family know how much I love Pokémon. ^^

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom