• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Splash will ever get an effect?

Will Splash ever gain an effect?

• Yes

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • No

Votes: 65 87.8%
  • Who cares, they'll just replace it anyways

Votes: 7 9.5%

• Total voters
No.
But one thing always bothered me... Normal type? Water would make more sense and it does no damage so the type really makes no difference. The fact that it's Normal makes it sound like the attack is more about the floundering fish itself than the water that it is splashing around in.

That used to bother me, too. I once thought it was so it couldn't ever be super-effective, but since an attack has to actually hit to be "super-effective" that explanation doesn't really make sense. (I wish it did say that with Splash, though. That would be hilarious!)

I think it's to underscore the fact that you don't need any sort of special power over water to just splash in it. Also, because there are several non-Water-types that learn it by leveling-up (like the Hoppip family, Spoink/Grumpig and Buneary/Lopunny), which isn't the case with most Water-type moves.

Last edited:
Giving Splash an actuall effect would ruin it's purpose, as a useless RPG attack that's there to distract the player, many RPG's have enemies with such "attacks", especially the Mother games.

If splash ever gets an effect, then Magikarp will cease to be the most hilarious Pokemon. And we can't have that.

Of course not. The move is not meant to do anything. The entire purpose for Splash to begin with was so that Magikarp would be useless, but then be worth it in the end because of a Gyarados.

Yes!! It will be the best team sweeper with no strings attached!!
That could work.

I'd still say they'll never do anything for Splash since they need at least one completely useless move. But what I've always thought would be cool is, like what @Dr.J; said, it's an ultimate team sweeper that will guaranty 1 Hit OK with 100% accuracy, but it only has like 1 in 8192 chance of it working.

No, its always been treated as a joke. Especially since they've actually nerfed it, it can't be used when high gravity is in effect

That's not a nerf, because that would result in Magikarp using Struggle instead. And Struggle damages both the opponent and the user - just like Splash in Mystery Dungeon.

Yeah, splash shouldn't have an effect. Although, if a Wailord were to use splash in the ocean I don't think we'd be saying "nothing happened."

I think that splash should cause like a new status ailment. It should have the same effect as Infatuation. But I think it should have happened in Gen I

I don't think that it should get an effect. Frankly, its effect is that it does nothing. That's what makes splash unique, it's the only move that does absolutely nothing! It's supposed to be a funny gimmick.

No, that would never happen. It's supposed to be useless (I think that's partly so that evolving Magikarp will be more difficult). If it would happen I couldn't see it having any more than 20 in base power (comparing it to Bubble).

It won't. It's meant to be as hilariously worthless as Magikarp. Besides, it already has an effect: it wastes the user's turn.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom