• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Splash will ever get an effect?

Will Splash ever gain an effect?

• Yes

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • No

Votes: 65 87.8%
  • Who cares, they'll just replace it anyways

Votes: 7 9.5%

• Total voters

Emrye

Sorta Back.
Reaction score
So, do you think Splash will ever gain an effect? I'm really mixed right now, but maybe.... :sweatlol:

No, I think it will stay the way it is, a completly useless move.

And sorry if my english is not that good, I'm from Brazil, so I can't speak english the way you guys do.

There would be no point of the move existing if it were to gain an effect.
My answer is no.

It technically has one in Mystery Dungeon (Hops any direction. If it hits another 'Mon, 5 damage to both)

Outside that, since they haven't changed it in 16 years, they're not about to, nor do they need to.

No but I'm sure there will be a future move with no effect given to a similar Pokemon.

The fact that it's useless makes it unique. That's what makes it interesting and, moreover, special. Furthermore, if you gave the move an effect, it would probably make Magikarp a slightly more potent fighter, so you wouldn't feel the enormous sense of self-satisfaction when it evolves into Gyarados.

No.
But one thing always bothered me... Normal type? Water would make more sense and it does no damage so the type really makes no difference. The fact that it's Normal makes it sound like the attack is more about the floundering fish itself than the water that it is splashing around in.

No.
But one thing always bothered me... Normal type? Water would make more sense and it does no damage so the type really makes no difference. The fact that it's Normal makes it sound like the attack is more about the floundering fish itself than the water that it is splashing around in.

The japanese name would be better translated as something like "hop" or "flop". It just got translated like that because Magikarp, a water type, was the only Pokemon with it at the time.

It's already got an effect
MAGIKARP_cc43ca_1595574.jpg

But nah... GF won't. Being entirely useless is its charm.

Maybe if a heavy pokemon like Gyarados uses Splash while you battle in the water, it becomes a damaging (not that powerful, but still knocks off some HP nonetheless) move known as "Tidal Wave"

Will it? Never.

Would I like it to? Well...

Not in the conventional way. The game keeps track of how many times you've used splash, you see.

After an absurd number of times you've used it, such as a thousand or several, with nobody really mentioning anything about it, an NPC will react to that.

And give you a price.

Ideally something useless, such as an unique Magikarp form similar to the spiky-ear Pichu. That doesn't evolve nor can be traded.

Will it? Never.

Would I like it to? Well...

Not in the conventional way. The game keeps track of how many times you've used splash, you see.

After an absurd number of times you've used it, such as a thousand or several, with nobody really mentioning anything about it, an NPC will react to that.

And give you a price.

Ideally something useless, such as an unique Magikarp form similar to the spiky-ear Pichu. That doesn't evolve nor can be traded.

I actually like this idea.

Beat the Elite Four 1000 times using nothing but Splash and you get a Pikablu.

j/k

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom