• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you use legendaries?

Smogon tiers say otherwise, and if endgame legendaries were meant to be used, then why were they banned in official facilities? It shows that GF needs to make weaker versions like Kyurem.

I was talking about in-game use, not competitive battling.

I'm all about stats, so whatever is highest and best with my strategy. If that happens to be a legendary, then sure. Like Lugia, amazing Sp.Def which I needed. Other than Arceus occasionally, it's mostly normal Pokemon.

I play to win. So I'll use legendaries in-game and competetively if they fit my team.

If using the best Pokemon available makes me a noob, then's I'll carry that title with pride.

It's stupid and limits your imagination. But I guess if that's the way you play.

That makes sense whatso ever. Apparently, a player should intentionally make bad team choices to play the game properly. Yeah, that makes no sense.

I think you mean that makes no sense whatsoever. And it does. I have beaten people online that use all legendaries against NU Pokemon with no legendaries. Please do not close your mind to ultimate power. It's stupid and unimaginable. Just like I already mentioned.
Actually, if you're going to not use any legendaries, simply because of their titles, then I feel that YOU are the one closing your mind and "limiting your imagination." In competitive battles, I go by the official VGC rules, so in my Sand team, I actually do use Landorus. Why? Because after research and testing I felt that it was perfect for my team. So was Excadrill and Gliscor, etc...the only legendary I have on my competitive team is Landorus, and not because it's legendary. I use it because it's good. Just like Garchomp and Tyranitar are good. Using legendaries just because of their title is a poor competitive choice because they usually do not work together as a team, but just because you use one or two in your team doesn't mean your imagination box exploded. It means you're using all your available resources to create the best team possible.

Actually, if you're going to not use any legendaries, simply because of their titles, then I feel that YOU are the one closing your mind and "limiting your imagination." In competitive battles, I go by the official VGC rules, so in my Sand team, I actually do use Landorus. Why? Because after research and testing I felt that it was perfect for my team. So was Excadrill and Gliscor, etc...the only legendary I have on my competitive team is Landorus, and not because it's legendary. I use it because it's good. Just like Garchomp and Tyranitar are good. Using legendaries just because of their title is a poor competitive choice because they usually do not work together as a team, but just because you use one or two in your team doesn't mean your imagination box exploded. It means you're using all your available resources to create the best team possible.

I believe he's talking about endgame legendaries, who are completely overpowered and make the game too easy. The usual way to OHKO and 2HKO an endgame legendary is with another endgame legendary, thus forcing you to abandon your normal Pokemon and/or lesser powerful legendaries. It's why nobody likes Wi-Fi matches in PBR.

I believe he's talking about endgame legendaries, who are completely overpowered and make the game too easy. The usual way to OHKO and 2HKO an endgame legendary is with another endgame legendary, thus forcing you to abandon your normal Pokemon and/or lesser powerful legendaries. It's why nobody likes Wi-Fi matches in PBR.

Exactly this. I could personally beat Leaf Green right now if I used just a mewtwo and my Ho-Oh. It's so much more practical and emotional to use casual Pokemon. I like it so much more. Your possibilities are limitless. The game is not all about stats, in any way. Butterfree has one of the lowest stats in the game but if you apply quiver dance to it in the NU tier you could have a ferocious fucking sweeper. But I personally don't even use any legends. Including these so-called terrible ones like Articuno and Entei. Even though those are 2 of the most resourceful Pokemon in competitive battling.

He did mention how he came across a team of "all legendaries" online and managed to beat them easily, so either he wasn't talking exclusively about endgame legendaries, or they're not as invincible as you say (because I doubt he'd have a team of all legendaries himself).

All I'm saying is that there's nothing wrong with using legendaries competitively as long as they're within the rules, because at the end of the day they're just another Pokemon, complete with movepool, stats, weaknesses, advantages, and ability.

Exactly this. I could personally beat Leaf Green right now if I used just a mewtwo and my Ho-Oh. It's so much more practical and emotional to use casual Pokemon. I like it so much more. Your possibilities are limitless. The game is not all about stats, in any way. Butterfree has one of the lowest stats in the game but if you apply quiver dance to it in the NU tier you could have a ferocious fucking sweeper. But I personally don't even use any legends. Including these so-called terrible ones like Articuno and Entei.

Oh puhlease, I am just sick of this emo stuff like "I like it more" being used as arguments everywhere in the vg section nowadays. If you are not comfortable using legendaries, so be it. If somebody else uses legends, its his choice.

Even though those are 2 of the most resourceful Pokemon in competitive battling.
Uninformed claims. I really hate when people make claims like these without any (apparent) battling experience.

In competative battleing for HGSS i used a team with level 100 celebi, butterfree and bellossom. I then used two regular pokemon and then ballenced it with mewtwo.

In most games I use the main legendary for the game and use it to train pokemon i want to train after the E4. I then slowly switch from a team of starters, legendaries and Hm slaves to a team of well trained normal pokemon.

Exactly this. I could personally beat Leaf Green right now if I used just a mewtwo and my Ho-Oh. It's so much more practical and emotional to use casual Pokemon. I like it so much more. Your possibilities are limitless. The game is not all about stats, in any way. Butterfree has one of the lowest stats in the game but if you apply quiver dance to it in the NU tier you could have a ferocious fucking sweeper. But I personally don't even use any legends. Including these so-called terrible ones like Articuno and Entei.

Oh puhlease, I am just sick of this emo stuff like "I like it more" being used as arguments everywhere in the vg section nowadays. If you are not comfortable using legendaries, so be it. If somebody else uses legends, its his choice.

Even though those are 2 of the most resourceful Pokemon in competitive battling.
Uninformed claims. I really hate when people make claims like these without any (apparent) battling experience.

First of all, I can tell you are a completely spiteful person. I'm guessing you're in the mood to troll my opinion because you can't think of a better way to explain a persons statement without labeling it 'emo'. I don't know how anything I said about it was emo. If you're not going to contribute to the topic then please do not post. You are not as smart as you think if you don't think Articuno or Entei can be used wisely. I would gladly battle you to show you my experience and could probably have a very good chance of defeating you so please do not post again. It's irritating and not worth your time, I'm sure.

First of all, I can tell you are a completely spiteful person. I'm guessing you're in the mood to troll my opinion because you can't think of a better way to explain a persons statement without labeling it 'emo'. I don't know how anything I said about it was emo. If you're not going to contribute to the topic then please do not post. You are not as smart as you think if you don't think Articuno or Entei can be used wisely. I would gladly battle you to show you my experience and could probably have a very good chance of defeating you so please do not post again. It's irritating and not worth your time, I'm sure.

truthful & blunt =/= spiteful. Also, "I like it that way" =/= argument. Simple.

And yes, I know how articuno and entei can be used. Saying that they are more resourceful then something like Kyogre or even heatran is beyond an exaggeration. If you want to battle, I will readily battle you over PO/wifi(once my team for wifi is ready).

Edit: removed last statement. it was wrongly accusing a user. sorry.

Last edited:
I don't use Legendaries, I only collect them. I've always used regular Pokemon, even in the story of the game. Except for B/W. I didn't really have much of a choice there XD

I don't use Legendaries, I only collect them. I've always used regular Pokemon, even in the story of the game. Except for B/W. I didn't really have much of a choice there XD

Do you mean using Reshiram/Zekrom in the final battle against N? You were given a choice to either swap Reshiram/Zekrom into your party or not. You were required to catch it, but not to actually use it in battle.

Do you mean using Reshiram/Zekrom in the final battle against N? You were given a choice to either swap Reshiram/Zekrom into your party or not. You were required to catch it, but not to actually use it in battle.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that... Oh well. Now that I remember, I thought a showdown between Reshiram and Zekrom was necessary.

truthful & blunt =/= spiteful. Also, "I like it that way" =/= argument. Simple.

And yes, I know how articuno and entei can be used. Saying that they are more resourceful then something like Kyogre or even heatran is beyond an exaggeration. If you want to battle, I will readily battle you over PO/wifi(once my team for wifi is ready).

Calling others noobs(for using legendaries) doesn't contribute to the topic either.

Please show me where I called so
Someone a noob for using legendaries.

I try to avoid using legendaries. I have used some in-game in the past, such as Lugia and Rayquaza. I'm also using a Jirachi on my Pokemon Online singles team.

Given the fact that all of the good ones are banned on ordinary online play, I only use one or two which I think might be half-decent.

Yep, at the moment in White half my team are legendaries!
Although I only use them if they're not too high-leveled, and they fit in with the rest of my team.

Calm down a bit, no need to make so many judgement calls. You're overreacting a little excessively on someone else's post, and just because someone's not in perfect agreeance with your opinions doesn't mean you should go out on them.

I usually don't use legendaries because it's sort of cheating to me. Unless of course I'm playing the entire game illegitimately, that is.

No, I don't use legendaries throughout the Game's story at all, I do feel that it is a bit of a cheap win, or in battles, even with NPCs in-game. I find it fun structuring a regular Pokemon team; maybe because I didn't do that properly when I was younger.

However, I feel immensely guilty about going through all the bother to catch one, then stuffing it into a PC Box, so I train them in the wild, but not via Gym Battles or the Elite Four.

No. Using legendaries is lame. I only catch them as trophies and to fill my Pokédex.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom