• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Really?

I hear stuff like Boonies all the time.

Boondocks, Boonies, Ghetto, Trash Town, Pig Town, Hick Town, stuff like that all the time :p

It would screw up game mechanics.

But we're not talking about game mechanics, nor the games at all. We're talking about a series where the pokemon have interactions of their own and personality (for the most part) beyond the one-word description their info screen gives.

Also, boondocks meaning ghetto? Those are, like, exact opposites. Ghetto is in the inner city, boondocks are waaaaaay out in the country.

But we're not talking about game mechanics, nor the games at all. We're talking about a series where the pokemon have interactions of their own and personality (for the most part) beyond the one-word description their info screen gives.

Also, boondocks meaning ghetto? Those are, like, exact opposites. Ghetto is in the inner city, boondocks are waaaaaay out in the country.

That's not true at all. The Boondocks can be either but the Ghetto is usually thought of as a being the City but it can be both too.

Never heard of boondocks or boonies over here in England.

Makes me wonder what kids over here will think what it means. It's kind of obvious that from the way that Trip says the word that it is seen as a bad thing (from his point of view) so it works regardless.

So I played the movie version of "We Will Be Heroes" along side Flint vs Cynthia like Dogasu said, and it fit (almost) perfectly. When that guitar solo in the middle of the song plays, we get the still shots of Ash and Cynthia. And exactly when the battle gets over, the final guitar solo kicks up. Really weird/awesome how it timed up so well.

Still say it should've been used rather than "We Will Carry On". Just where's the nostalgia in using the current season theme? An older DP song really should've been used like what the original did.

And my theory involves Sakaki fishing the bodies of J and her henchmen out of that lake in Shin'ou and doing the ol' brain switch to make himself a couple of more serious soldiers. Those files he had on his desk at the end of the last DP episode? Totally medical records telling him whether or not they'd survive the operation :p

technically, J and her men would be the ones surviving. XD

God, I remember that interview. "I haven't decided what gender Pikachu is yet"...what a load of bull :D

yeah, people need to keep in mind that seiyuu do not write the characters. Other anime series seem to feature similar BS interviews with their voice cast.

I always found it odd how Shooti used that to refer to a guy from a country across the seas...especially since Kanto seems more modern than Unova, Hiun City non-withstanding.

"The Japanese? Those sandal-wearing goldfish tenders? Ha ha! Bosh! Flimshaw!"

but those simple, in-game descriptions seem to determine how attacks, as well as abilities, items, and the type chart, roll in practically ALL forms of canon (they even go as far as to say that a Pokemon with a resistance to a certain type will take specifically HALF the damage; I'm surprised they still have yet to refer to double-weakness/resistance in the series thus far, yet continue to make the error of not acknowledging when a Pokemon's two types even out, as with Bashou's Haganeil resisting Solar Beam or Shinji's Donkarasu being weak to Close Combat).

Last edited:
yeah, people need to keep in mind that seiyuu do not write the characters. Other anime series seem to feature similar BS interviews with their voice cast.

The question depended basically on her knowing. We can't help that that was the answer she gave.

Besides, a lot of VAs do behind-the-scenes work, or at least have some degree of input. That's why Eric Stuart could say that Brock's surname is Harrison and that's taken as canon, because he wasn't just the voice but worked on other aspects.

but those simple, in-game descriptions seem to determine how attacks, as well as abilities, items, and the type chart, roll in practically ALL forms of canon (they even go as far as to say that a Pokemon with a resistance to a certain type will take specifically HALF the damage; I'm surprised they still have yet to refer to double-weakness/resistance in the series thus far, yet continue to make the error of not acknowledging when a Pokemon's two types even out, as with Bashou's Haganeil resisting Solar Beam or Shinji's Donkarasu being weak to Close Combat).

Eh, still. It's the sort of thing that plays better in a storyline than in gameplay. As I stated before, MPJ works basically off the potential for anyone to be attracted to anyone, and that doesn't violate gameplay at all.

...granted, MPJ is a special case already since there's hardly any battling, but it doesn't *contradict* anything.

Eh, still. It's the sort of thing that plays better in a storyline than in gameplay. As I stated before, MPJ works basically off the potential for anyone to be attracted to anyone, and that doesn't violate gameplay at all.

...granted, MPJ is a special case already since there's hardly any battling, but it doesn't *contradict* anything.

Plus it was kinda written before stuff like breeding and Attract and genders had been introduced to the franchise, so it didn't have anything to ignore.

In Australia, I've heard boondocks quite a bit, but never "boonies". A bit of an odd word choice...

Hears of boondocks and boonies over here in US. I think if it wasn't "boonies" then they would've said "ghetto" and that would make the parents cry foul

I'm surprised Mr. Dogasu, no new TR bashing in this comparison or can we expect some more in the future comparisons? :p

I'm surprised Mr. Dogasu, no new TR bashing in this comparison or can we expect some more in the future comparisons? :p

I am surprised he made no comment of TR showing more personality in the dub (or their dub personality anyway), then the original.

I notice Dogasu only brings up the negatives in terms of the dub, not the positives. Not sure why he was complaining about Barry's voice either when that was one of the best voices in the dub and fit the character to a T.

Back
Top Bottom