• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

That is really really weird. I wonder why they'd be so exclusive like that, especially since they already have gay pokemon in other canons (although MPJ does tend to play fast and loose with things like egg groups as well, so they're all over the board!).

And methinks they'd sooner have gay animals than gay people, if only because it'd be more exportable. Gay penguins anyone? Although I guess they turned out to be bi penguins, or one of them was anyway.

That is really really weird. I wonder why they'd be so exclusive like that, especially since they already have gay pokemon in other canons (although MPJ does tend to play fast and loose with things like egg groups as well, so they're all over the board!).

And methinks they'd sooner have gay animals than gay people, if only because it'd be more exportable. Gay penguins anyone? Although I guess they turned out to be bi penguins, or one of them was anyway.

It would screw up game mechanics. Remember that the anime is first and foremost and advertisement for the video games. I doubt they're going to go through and reprogram Attract so that 10% of Pokemon are gay. I'm gay and even I wouldn't waste development resources on something like that. Or hell - what about breeding? "Oh, I'm sorry, your Pokemon is gay so he won't breed with the Ditto to pass moves down. Sucks to be you!"

And frankly, I find the whole idea of gay Pokemon pretty silly since Pokemon (with a few exceptions) don't seem to have any concept of gender in the first place.

I don't see why people have a problem with the dub using "boonies." Hick town, the boonies, the country, the countryside...they all mean the same thing, and none of them are outdated or uncommon.

I was thrown off when I heard it because I've never heard anyone use the term "boonies" to describe a hick town or the country. I thought it was probably a term people used in the 80's or 90's.

I don't really get why Shooti thought that Satoshi was from a hick town anyway.

Shooti is kinda racist.

Yeah, I had never heard someone use the term "boonies" before.

I'm surprised at how many people haven't heard the term "boonies" before. It's not that uncommon I think.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Dogasu

I'm from the U.S. but I've still never heard anyone use the term "boonies." Is it mainly used in the Southern States? I'm from Michigan so I've never heard it used up here.

I'm from the U.S. but I've still never heard anyone use the term "boonies." Is it mainly used in the Southern States? I'm from Michigan so I've never heard it used up here.

I'm from Idaho, and I've never heard of "Boonies" either.

But of course knowing what it was in the original "hick town" and the context, I knew it meant 'hick town' or some equivalent to it.

But still "boonies" has to be uncommon or rare (at least for me). I'm mean I've heard of that anime-type show thing "boondocks" if that is even remotely similar in definition, but I never knew what it meant, nor did I actually care one way or the other.

So yeah when I first heard "boonies", I was like "What?" and then I was like "What 10 year old would even remotely know what that means?"

Though I suppose 'hick town' or something is probably more offensive which is why they didn't use it.

Or in other words "The sticks, in the middle of no where. Usually associated with living out in the country."

It's the English equivalent of calling Ash a "hillbilly"

That's not always true the boonies can be in a city like Chicago too.

I didn't know "boonies" was short for "boondocks." I've heard of the cartoon but I've never really knew what it meant. At first I thought it meant the ghetto but since Shooti said that Satoshi was from a hick town in the Japanese version I figured that's what it meant. I wouldn't expect little kids to know what "the boonies" are though. It probably would have been better if Trip just called Ash a hillbilly.

Boonies means the Ghetto guys :p

Boondocks comes from the Tagalog/Filipino word "bundok" which means the Mountains. So Ash comes from the Mountains! xD

I'm Pinoy lol

Anyways, the dub was good enough. Now if then only release subbed DVD's and use the better JP Opening...xP

Boondocks comes from the Tagalog/Filipino word "bundok" which means the Mountains. So Ash comes from the Mountains! xD

I'm Pinoy lol

Anyways, the dub was good enough. Now if then only release subbed DVD's and use the better JP Opening...xP

I meant more of the American stereotypical meaning :p

Maybe it is a Southern or Mid-Atlantic thing, because I live in Virgina and hear "boonies" all the time. I got what it meant on first listen.

I've never heard "boonies" either and I'm from the north. I'm not sure how many little kids know what the boonies are. I guess it depends on where you live.

I'm from Michigan so I've never heard it used up here.

Holy Arceus you to? That's were I live. But that aside I have no problem with the term used even though I've never heard it before, thank you dub for teaching me a new term.

Back
Top Bottom