• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Tsutarja said:
I'm surprised Mr. Dogasu, no new TR bashing in this comparison or can we expect some more in the future comparisons? :p

They're barely in the first episode. We don't really get to see how much they've changed until the second episode.

Gliscor'd said:
I am surprised he made no comment of TR showing more personality in the dub (or their dub personality anyway), then the original.

Again, they're barely in the first episode. They had like, what, four lines the whole episode?

I notice Dogasu only brings up the negatives in terms of the dub, not the positives.

I praise the dub when it deserves to be praised, and bash it when it deserves to be bashed. You're just too busy focusing on the latter to notice the former.

I praise the dub when it deserves to be praised, and bash it when it deserves to be bashed. You're just too busy focusing on the latter to notice the former.

Its more bashing than anything positive, but that's understandable.

Dogasu, how much longer do you think you'll be running your site for? You've been doing it for over a decade, and I don't think any of us expected the anime to go on as long as it did.

Do you ever feel like calling it quits with your site and stopping the comparisons, or is it something you still enjoy doing?

If Ash's story goes on for another 10 years, do you think you will still be covering everything up to Generation 8?

Scott, unlike you, I don't think Dogasu has some crazy problem that makes him feel as if he MUST watch this cartoon and run a site about it...
He's obviously still enjoying it if he's still doing it...

Dogasu, how much longer do you think you'll be running your site for? You've been doing it for over a decade, and I don't think any of us expected the anime to go on as long as it did.

Do you ever feel like calling it quits with your site and stopping the comparisons, or is it something you still enjoy doing?

If Ash's story goes on for another 10 years, do you think you will still be covering everything up to Generation 8?

Scott you shouldnt "feel" obligated to watch Pokemon if you don't like it anymore Ash/Satoshi's Journey is the here and now if you really are tired of his journey there is nothing stopping you from easily putting down the remote. I'm guessing Dogasu enjoys the show or he wouldnt be watching it anymore.

*runs in*

From Dogasu's 10th anniversary rant said:
It's also crazy to think that I can now use the term "decade" to tell people how long my website has been on the Internet. I certainly never thought I'd still be updating after all these years, and I never thought that I'd still be around for the ride. While many people find their fandom waning as the years go on, I've, somehow, become more attached to this franchise than ever before.

I think part of the reason I'm still enjoying this franchise as much as I am is because of how not serious I am about this franchise. Pocket Monsters is not my life. I don't play the games much after beating the main story, and I don't think about it constantly. There are large chunks of the TV series that I haven't seen. I don't have e-drama with other webmasters. Most of my real world friends don't have any idea that I'm even a fan this franchise. Yet, I think the fact that my whole life doesn't revolve around this franchise has helped keep my interest in it all these years. I'm not going to get burned out by Pokemon, and I'm not going to get tired of it. To me, Pocket Monsters is a fun diversion; nothing more, nothing less.

Regardless, reaching ten years gives me a lot of conflicting emotions. Should I be proud of all the information I've posted online, of all the rumors I've helped dispel? Or should I be ashamed that I've spent ten years of my youth in front of a computer monitor and doing enough to make me "Internet famous?" Or can I do both? How completely different would my life have been if I hadn't spent the hundreds and hundreds of hours working on this website?

Gun to my head, I'd say my time was well spent. I've had a lot of fun working on this thing, and I'm continuing to have fun working on this. I feel like I'm finally getting things straightened out, and I'm really excited about some of the updates I have coming up in the future. At the risk of sounding horribly cliched, "the best is yet to come."

I'm not, however, going to sit here and promise that I'll be doing this for another ten years. I have no idea how long I'll be doing this site for. Never have, really. Hopefully, no matter what ends up happening to this site and to me, you guys will be able to enjoy the ride.

*runs out*

The dubbed version is good because James' new voice actor can *gasp* act! I mean, there are a few shaky spots, to be sure, but there's nothing here as horrid as Eric Stuart was in "A Poached Ego!" or "Training Daze." He has a terrible laugh, though, but it's only his second episode, so I'll cut him some slack. I also have to give PUSA credit for leaving the flashback as-is instead of rearranging the clips the way 4Kids would have.

Anyway, the vocal song at the end of the episode is also different, depending on what version you're watching. In the Japanese, it's Smile, a song that certainly does its job in this scene. In the English version, however, there's a brand new song that, truth be told, isn't half bad. I actually had it stuck in my head the other day at work, which is eerie because I've never had that happen with a dub insert song before. I realize that Japanese vocal songs can be problematic, so I'm happy with them replacing these songs if they're all going to be this good.

Sorry to derail the current topic, but I've just started watching the UK premire of the the newest Pokemon movie. I can fully confirm that the 10 of so minutes that were cut from the beginning of the US premire of the movie were added back in, e.g. the fight with Ethan, the trio seeing the match on TV, Zorua escaping from the aeroplane, etc.

Just thought you aught to know. Apologies if this isn't the right place to put it.

The comparison for 'Enter Iris and Axew' has gone up.

It's a pretty good comparison, but I want to point out the followiing error:

I never realized it before now, but in the five seasons TPCI's had the show, Delia's only shown up...once? (page links to AG192 comparison)

Actually, Delia's appeared in the show twice since TPCi took. First was the time mentioned, while the second was DP138 (when Ash spoke to her on the phone).

Sorry to derail the current topic, but I've just started watching the UK premire of the the newest Pokemon movie. I can fully confirm that the 10 of so minutes that were cut from the beginning of the US premire of the movie were added back in, e.g. the fight with Ethan, the trio seeing the match on TV, Zorua escaping from the aeroplane, etc.

Just thought you aught to know. Apologies if this isn't the right place to put it.
The first 10 minutes were cut by Cartoon Network, not The Pokémon Company. It was common sense that CITV would air it in full.

I really don't see how Ash saying he wants to meet ALL the Unova Pokemon is some kind of error or re-write. We know Ash is going to see all the Unova Pokemon anyway, so what difference does it make?

I also think they kept Delia's underwear obsession just for continuity.

Likewise, TR are handled well in the dub. The one little pun they did with Woobat at the end was to show their transition. It feels like dub watchers are slowly watching them change into better villains, while in the original it just happens with no transition.

I truly must applaud PUSA for their handling of TR. While I've never been fond of James' new voice, Jessie and Meowth sound close to perfect.

Delia: "Pikachu, take good care of Ash."
Pikachu: "Pika Pika!"
Professor Oak: "And call us from time to time. I'll look forward to hearing about the new Pokémon you've met. How does that sound?"

It sounds like a rewrite to me! In the Japanese version, Orchid-Hakase asks Satoshi to call him and tell him about all the unusual and rare pokemon he meets, not just the one he catches

All I have to say is... I'm confused.

The entire comparison felt extremely nitpicky to me. You never used to bother mentioning such minor line changes before.

Dogasu said:
Jimmy Zoppi and Michele Knotz are still adjusting to their new roles, and I actually think that's a good thing. The little hint of goofiness left in their voices actually makes the transition from Diamond & Pearl to Best Wishes! a lot less jarring.

Which is the exact same thing their Japanese counterparts did... Hell, they act exactly like their old selves throughout the entire cave scene, proving that they haven't really changed at all.

Likewise, TR are handled well in the dub. The one little pun they did with Woobat at the end was to show their transition. It feels like dub watchers are slowly watching them change into better villains, while in the original it just happens with no transition.

Again, there is a transition. I really have no idea where you guys are getting that there's some kind of difference.

Last edited:
I think that TPCi is trying to give Black and White more of an original series feel, which is why they probably brought back Who's That Pokemon and Delia's underwear obsession xP

Iris: "Whoa, no way! Pikachu!? You've got to be the sweetest thing ever! It's so cute! And those jiggling cheeks. Can't find anything this jiggly in Unova."

"Can't find anything this jiggly in Unova?" That's just...ew.

I thought the same thing xD and I did notice that they say Unova a lot more often then they say Isshu in the Japanese version. They must really want the kids to memorize the name of the new region. It reminds me of how 4Kids would constantly repeat the same things in their dubs. Or it could be to fit lip flaps.

Finally, after Jessie calls out her new Pokémon:

Ash: "What's that?"
Iris: "It's a Woobat!"
Meowth: "A Woobat. That name's got a nice ring to it."
Jessie: "Nice ring is a good thing."

And just like that, TPCI slips back into DP mode. That didn't take long.

Hey, Id rather hear one rhyme then having them rhyme in every single sentence. I think they threw that in to that little kids can still get a hint of the old Team Rocket and not have them act too serious right away, especially since Black and White started right after DP ended in America.

They must really want the kids to memorize the name of the new region.

If they could do this, they might as well've done "E shoe" (I doubt TPCI would've used "eesh eshoe" or "ish"). Worrying about the word "issue" shouldn't have been a problem, imo.

If they could do this, they might as well've done "E shoe" (I doubt TPCI would've used "eesh eshoe" or "ish"). Worrying about the word "issue" shouldn't have been a problem, imo.
Except that the region is called Unova.

The entire comparison felt extremely nitpicky to me. You never used to bother mentioning such minor line changes before.

I have to agree... some of these can hardly be called "changes" at all... seriously, it's translation... and not just that, but a translation for dubbing... it won't be EXACT word-to-word translation... yet it doesn't mean it isn't an accurate translation
A lot of the "changes" brought up in that comparasion simply can't be called "changes" and it seemed really ridiculous to bring them up at all
Sorry, but it really seemed like you're exaggerating this time, Dogasu... I appreciate your work and usually enjoy reading these comparasions, but some of that stuff really wasn't needed to be pointed out at all

I'm pretty sure Dogasu meant Oak said "caught", but I don't feel like checking.

Oak did say "met" in the dub. Did Dogasu mean that he specifies that he wants to hear about both the ones Ash catches and meets in the original?

In some of the comparisons they openly admit to being nitpicky as there isn't much else to comment on. I just see it as another one of those? There wasn't the lack of music to comment on either, so maybe more time was available to spend on the dialogue edits. *shrug* Didn't really effect my enjoyment of reading the comparison compared to the other comparisons.

All I have to say is... I'm confused.

Yeah. Who's saying anything about catching here?

Oh, and TPCi keeping the next episode previews really isn't an option. The openings keep getting shorter so previews just make for even more shorter openings...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom