• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

I actually try to avoid the fansubs as much as possible. I don't want to fall into the habit of relying on others' translations, y'know?

And while you could argue that my newer comparisons aren't necessary (the thought's crossed my mind as well), I do feel that they still have a purpose. People can take a look at the two and compare things for themselves, but a lot of the time they just can't be bothered. I also think people find that loading up a Dogasu's Backpack comparison is easier than taking the time to find the episodes and watch them back to back.

yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from about relying on subs done by others. One of the reasons I started seriously learning Japanese in the first place is so I wouldn't be required to use such a crutch. And while your comparisons mainly serve a novelty purpose at this point (albeit still very much doing their job when you bring up the why and how of the English version changes being such a big deal that dub fans may overlook, like the Rockets' characterization and such), keep in mind that your site is great in several other departments. It's so informative of things concerning the Japanese version of the franchise in general. For instance, your detailed descriptions of things that never made it stateside such as the various manga (which you have been posting summaries for more recently), CD dramas, etc. Not to mention your occasional brand of humor or rants (though you don't seem to have touched those sections for a while).

3. Nice to know Japanese Don George is a dick. "Get your shit, and get out." LOL. So I guess the dub made English Don George nicer. Let's go back to what Don George Japanese version said. Don George merely tells the Janovy trainer to carry his pokemon out of there in the Japanese version. He doesn't say anything about healing it. HOW does that not equal "Get your shit and get out" in a dick kind of way. I mean really. What about the kid maybe he just wanted stay and watch any other possible matches, why was it so important for Japanese Don George to kick him out. That doesn't make sense at all. At least the English version made sense. Otherwise he comes off as a dick. Sorry no way around that. He disregarded the boy's opinion of what he wanted to do, and even if he didn't say it in a rude manner, he was still rude. I don't think there's any way you can say "leave" without sounding like a dick, or some upset person, or even annoyed. There has to be some negative reason to tell a person to "leave" without explanation. The only positive "get out" is if a person is in danger, and that's clearly not the case here.

actually, Don George just stops the battle (probably before it got too serious) and calmly says "Janobii wo hakonde agenasai", with "nasai" being tacked onto verbs to prompt a command in a very polite manner. That said, the line literally comes off as "Please carry away Janovy." It's the same in both versions: he's considering the welfare of the battling Pokemon that was just dealt an intense blow. Just because he doesn't specifically mention healing doesn't really make him come off as a hardass or anything.

Heard about the earthquake in Japan and immediately went to check your site. Glad to hear you're okay, Dogasu!

Heard about the earthquake in Japan and immediately went to check your site. Glad to hear you're okay, Dogasu!

So did I... I'll admit I was pretty worried.

Also, I couldn't help but think that wouldn't it have been unlucky if the producers of the anime had been planning to air the Barboach vs. Whiscash episode of Advanced.

"Wow, it looks like Cress is going all the way once more!"
Haha my 11-year-old cousin pointed that out when we were watching this episode. I'm surprised his female fan would know that.

Did...did that Eriko looking girl just say "dreamboats?" As in plural? As in, she's calling both Cress and his Panpour "dreamboats?" Ew.
What's wrong with that?

I have to watch this ep in Japanese. Pod what an ass-hole he really calls himself "Ore-Sama"? Somebody needs a rain check. Why does Corn do that? I thought that was a thing woman and little kids do?

One of the reasons I felt myself losing interest in BW at the start is for the same reasons Dogasu mentions:

This saga feels really weird coming off of the DP series. It almost feels like Best Wishes could take place after the Johto saga or something.

DP felt too serious at times, with characters that went against the shows usually cheery fair like Paul, Pokehunter J, etc. Yet Best Wishes does the opposite, at least prior to the TR/TP plot.

Taken individually BW is a good series, but it really feels odd watching this directly after DP.

Haha my 11-year-old cousin pointed that out when we were watching this episode. I'm surprised his female fan would know that.

What's wrong with that?

I have to watch this ep in Japanese. Pod what an ass-hole he really calls himself "Ore-Sama"? Somebody needs a rain check. Why does Corn do that? I thought that was a thing woman and little kids do?

Nothing, except for the fact that she called Panpour, an animal, handsome. Basically, the woman is a furry.

Nothing, except for the fact that she called Panpour, an animal, handsome. Basically, the woman is a furry.

Sooooooooooooooo. I call animals cute and pretty all the time. Fur and such and clean coats.

Besides remember this?

Dawn:piplup you look so handsome.

Didn't she use "cool" in the original Japanese version?

No matter

Besides, "dreamboat" means "sexually attractive" (if you know what I mean)

"Kakkoii"かっこい means "cool" it can also mean "attractive" or "stylish". If you wanted to talk about someone you had a crush on you call that person "kakkoii."

Depending on your context I doubt every girl in my class wants to "get with" the Jonas Brothers. It can mean just pretty or dreamy not something sexual specially' in a kids' show.

"Kakkoii"かっこい means "cool" it can also mean "attractive" or "stylish". If you wanted to talk about someone you had a crush on you call that person "kakkoii."

Depending on your context I doubt every girl in my class wants to "get with" the Jonas Brothers. It can mean just pretty or dreamy not something sexual specially' in a kids' show.

Look, the point is that the term dreamboat is used for someone you find attractive, as in you find a girl/guy cute (though I'm not sure if it's used to refer to girls)

It's not really used for animals and such because the dreamboat "cute" has a slightly different meaning than the regular "cute"

With that said, I have to say "google it" because explaining things to people is not my strong suit and honestly, this is getting us nowhere.

Last edited:
Jessie: "Again!? is the question, so twerpish indeed."
James: "The answer to come, as we feel the need."
Jessie: "Bringing the blinding white light of evil into the future."
James: "Thrusting the hammer of justice down onto the black darkness of the universe."
Meowth: "And carving our names in the rock of eternity."
Jessie: "The fiery destroyer, Jessie!"
James: "And with thunderous emotion, I am James!"
Meowth: "Wisest of the wise, Meowth!"
Team Rocket: "Now gather, under the name of Team Rocket!"

They don't say "Now Gather" they say "Known Better".

Jessie: "Again!? is the question, so twerpish indeed."
James: "The answer to come, as we feel the need."
Jessie: "Bringing the blinding white light of evil into the future."
James: "Thrusting the hammer of justice down onto the black darkness of the universe."
Meowth: "And carving our names in the rock of eternity."
Jessie: "The fiery destroyer, Jessie!"
James: "And with thunderous emotion, I am James!"
Meowth: "Wisest of the wise, Meowth!"
Team Rocket: "Now gather, under the name of Team Rocket!"

They don't say "Now Gather" they say "Known Better".

Um...no

They did say "now gather"

"known" better doesn't really make much sense

I haven't seen the episode so I don't know either way but "Known better under the name of Team Rocket" makes perfect sense, since it's bringing the three together under their collective name. It's a bit oddly phrased though.

One thing I noticed in the recent comparison was how they converted Pansear's temperature from celsius to fahrenheit. That's sure going to be confusing when the rest of the series comes to England (and other parts of English-speaking Europe) in June, because it doesn't say fahrenheit, and we use celsius. They could have made it clearer...

In the TV series, we've got Mijumaru going up Yanapp just like in the games, so no problem there. Yet Pokabu, for some reason, didn't fight against Hiyapp. And Satoshi doesn't have a Tsutarja yet (OMG SPOILER!), so the only pokemon left are Pikachu and Mamepato. And since the writers seem to hate Mamepato, for whatever reason, Pikachu went up instead. A Pikachu vs. Baopp fight would have made a lot more sense, but instead we got Pikachu vs. Hiyapp. What in the world were the writers thinking?

I think the writers deliberately set up Ash's match-ups to be neutral, advantageous and disadvantageous, respectively, in order to hammer home the point that type advantage isn't everything (further reflected in the expectations of Iris's running commentary being subverted every time). It is a bit contrary to the arrangements in the game, but there you don't get the luxury of being able to choose to fight all three brothers, so I personally don't mind a few more liberties being taken.

Last edited:
Possibly, but it really doesn't mesh very well with the general idea that Pokabu is by far the weakest member of Satoshi's team, and doesn't gain any notable fighting power until the post-second gym training session, something the rest of the series seems to support. Had they replaced Pokabu with Mamepato, the battle would've worked better.

Back
Top Bottom