• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP092: Back to Basics, Rocket-dan!?

"Domino's roses"? Domino uses tulips.

And what's wrong with Tajirian? It solidifies that this is NOT EARTH, which it isn't. It's inspired by Earth, but if it was direct, that would mean that Venice and Las Vegas are in Japan.

But they put in English, like "Closed" on doors in Dawn's Early Night

But it's not the dominant language. I think they should use more languages for random things, but the fact that the invented a unique writing system shows that this is something removed from Earth.

Commander Pigg said:
Did you guys see the reference to the chronicles episode? With James crawling on the floor of the obsticle course? I never saw those episodes to be even mentioned in the actual anime XD

The only other references I can think of are Kasumi showing up in Houen with the Gyarados she caught in her Housoukyoku episode and Takeshi's mom showing up in that Battle Frontier episode. And maybe some Yamato and Kosaburou pokemon...?

Blackjack Palazzo said:
And what's wrong with Tajirian? It solidifies that this is NOT EARTH, which it isn't. It's inspired by Earth, but if it was direct, that would mean that Venice and Las Vegas are in Japan.

It may not be the Earth that we currently live on (i.e. the locations of Venice and Las Vegas that you alluded to), but it has enough similarities to our planet that an alien language like "Tajirian" isn't really necessary. Especially when the show already had a dominant language (Japanese or, in the dub, English) in the first place.

Oops, sorry, foggy memory. Anyways, they're both technologically functional flowers XP

I'm going to feel really stupid for asking this, but what is Tajirian? Is it the made-up language on the signs and stuff?

No, the spoken language is whatever language they're broacasting it in, but there's no reason to expect that the WRITTEN language would match up.

And yeah, that'd be it. It's kinda block-based for the most part.

I don't even understand why Tajiran exists in the first place. Supposedly it was invented so the dubs wouldn't have to erase Japanese text, which they apparently did because kids wouldn't understand it. Well they wouldn't understand Tajiran either, so it makes no difference. Therefore, it's pointless. Might as well have actual Japanese text.

But apparently that makes too much sense.

That's a big "supposedly" there, expecially after that interview over the summer where the guy said specifically that the dubs (at least the dubbing *companies*) had nothing to do with their decision to make the show international.

And since we all know most anime designers royally suck at international translation, it would be less embarassing for them to make up a new writing style rather than try to look up phrases in other languages every time they needed them.

(anyone remember the newspaper in the Orange Islands that said "AFROSICK" for no apparent reason?)

Besides, this makes it exotic and foreign for EVERYONE of any language, including those kids in Japan.

AFROSICK? xDD

That sounds hilarious.

This Ryu Yokoyama guy's group is good~ the animation was fine and the art was really, really cute and fun!

That's a big "supposedly" there, expecially after that interview over the summer where the guy said specifically that the dubs (at least the dubbing *companies*) had nothing to do with their decision to make the show international.

That still doesn't change what I said at all. Tajiran and Japanese would still both be unreadable text to kids watching the show in another language.

Besides that, most of the important text - not the random signs in the backgrounds of big cities, but the stuff that actually matters - are read aloud by the characters anyway. And is, therefore, translated when dubbed into any other language.

This is the case with both Japanese and Tajiran.

Blackjack Palazzo said:
Besides, this makes it exotic and foreign for EVERYONE of any language, including those kids in Japan.

I don't really think that's the intention at all...

I don't understand what the problem is here...are you that desperate for Japanese text to be in the show? The Legend of Zelda has their own text that is made up, Star Wars has their own text as well, and don't the pokemon games even have their own kind of text?

They have the Team Rocket song in the show too!!! I wonder if PUSA will use 4Kids translation of that song

Thing is...those things you listed had their own made-up text from the beginning. In Pocket Monsters' case, the made-up text had to be retconned into the show.

As far as the song goes...it'd be nice if PUSA would take the time to re-record their own version of it with their own VAs, but I realistically see them either a) using 4Kids' version, or b) just replacing it with their own music.

As far as the song goes...it'd be nice if PUSA would take the time to re-record their own version of it with their own VAs, but I realistically see them either a) using 4Kids' version, or b) just replacing it with their own music.
B is the most likely option. When the song was played in the Japanese version of "Once There Were Greenfields," it was replaced by instrumental music.

I wish PUSA wasn't as stingy on using vocal songs, Japanese or otherwise. I mean it doesn't have to be to the extent that it is in the Japanese version (where certain songs like Symphonic Medley are used in almost every other episode), but it'd certainly be nice. The last time they used one was in like... the rematch against Roark.

I remember when they would make up random vocal songs just for the hell of it (i.e. the episode where Kojirou got Manene and that one episode with Haruka and Nyasu going back in time). I don't see why they couldn't record a new song *now* when they didn't seem to have any problem doing so when they were first starting out.

wow they did use a LOT of Indigo cues....I can't believed they used the one they ended it with either...I havne't heard that one in the anime recently in awhile.

I wonder if they'll ever use Ok! or Advance Adventure past their respected regions

Thing is...those things you listed had their own made-up text from the beginning. In Pocket Monsters' case, the made-up text had to be retconned into the show.

It's only retconning if they were to show signs that were previously in Japanese suddenly being in Tajirian. This is more of a gradual switch than a complete retcon, which would *also* mean that they were saying "oh yeah, those were in this language all along, ignore anything else", which hasn't happened.

The Kanto Battle Frontier ring a bell? Especially the Nibi Gym episode where, apparently, Takeshi's mom was somehow able to un-chisel the name of the gym off the building.

Maybe she used the other side of the rock? xD

Didn't they use a bit of kanji here and there in AG? Like the A B C islands, which weren't changed in the dub?

I guess you could say Japanese is a second writing system they could use, but it's mostly Tajirian now? I don't see it as that big of a problem, really. ^^

I wonder if they'll ever use Ok! or Advance Adventure past their respected regions

Do you mean the instrumental version or the song with lyrics, because in one of Shinji's earliest episodes, I think it was "Forest of Hesistation! Shinji again!" DP06 in the last part where they used it.

Advance Adventure was used in the Tag battle as well.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom