• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP092: Back to Basics, Rocket-dan!?

Wonder whats up with all the Kantou music lately? DP 91 was also 99% Kantou music, and this one seems to have that too.. interesting.

Would appreciate if someone could in detail translate the dialogue when Satoshi was talking to the professor..

Pretty interesting episode. I did miss certain parts though, so I'll be catching it on YouTube for parts that I missed.

I also noticed the amount of Kanto music in both this episode and DP 91. Why the sudden influx? Not that I am complaining though.

Meh, only a Johto-filler obsessed person like me would've caught this
Pietra
Pietra.jpg

Girl from latest episode
18pr0.jpg

8D I always thought Pietra was cute so we basically get to see her again!

Johto filler girls rehashed, I see that girl has been traveling around.

Finally saw the episode

Man, I MUST be in the minority of the fanbase when I can say that I found Pochama adorable and lovable. Something about the way it sounds "PoCHAMA" is just so adorable.

Meh, all this nostalgia I'm not that pleased with. It's cool to see Team Rocket being serious for once though, gotta show the people at Pokecommunity who think Team Rocket is completely gone.

I like Piplup too (obvious XD)
And until now Piplup was listed with the main characters only in the TV Tokyo site but from this episode it's listed as main in the ending credits too

I like Piplup too (obvious XD)
And until now Piplup was listed with the main characters only in the TV Tokyo site but from this episode it's listed as main in the ending credits too

LOL, I love how the writers let us know that Piplup will never evolve. As if it couldn't be more obvious now with its name in the credits. :p

Piplup is the only Pokémon listed with the main characters except Pikachu and Meowth (even Togepi wasn't listed as main)
And these two are still here... and Dawn is the first to be shown as really equal to Ash (or at least- much more than May was) and they also changed from the beginning of DP the text in the opening to say "Ash and Dawn" instead of "Ash" like used to be (even in AG)
As time pass I really believe more and more that Dawn and Piplup has a chance to stay permament like Ash
The writers fixed their problem with an equal heroine with Dawn so they should let her stay and now move to their next problem- the sidekick

I know this is a little off topic but talking about Pip and how it got into main characters list got me to think about this again

It just hit me that, like DP73 and DP74, this episode was a remake of the second episode. At first I just figured all the stuff with Team Rocket stealing the monster balls was our old reference. But once I thought it about it, the Hikari/Potchama situation was sort of similar to the Satoshi/Pkachu situation in episode two. We even had an oak phone cameo in that one as well. The Hikari/Potchama scenes don't seem all that bad anymore in this context.

It makes me wonder if they'll be remaking any other episodes.

There's been lots of nods to old Kanto eps in DP, maybe that's why we're hearing all the old Kanto BGM in the series. We've also heard Advance Adventure played in a couple DP eps and some continuity/throwbacks to AG as well.

Has anything from Johto been brought up in DP? I think the only reference to Johto was when Jessie remembered the Blissey from the Nurse school she attended in the ep where Happiny hatched, but that was more of a reference to Jessie's past rather than the Johto saga.

The writers do almost nothing to honor the memory of the Johto saga, lol.

Man, I MUST be in the minority of the fanbase when I can say that I found Pochama adorable and lovable. Something about the way it sounds "PoCHAMA" is just so adorable.

Nah, me and my sister love Pochama too, but this episode felt like two seperate different episodes mashed together.

... But we will admit, that Pochama falling asleep in Hikari's arms snoring is uber cute.

Ah, it does make a lot more sense to think of the Hikari and Pochama scenes are more episode two references. Awesome. ^^

I loved the art in the episode. And Takeshi. He was HILARIOUS with his fantasy. xDD

I wasn't too impressed with this episode. It felt like a standard filler, with the only highlight being the Kantou motto.

DP 092 "Back to Basics, Team Rocket!?"

Impressions:

As Dogasu, said all the Potchama related matters kinda hindered this episode from being a purely funny one. I remember someone mentioning that the Potchama drama was all due to the fact that Potchama is the only Pokémon of Hikari's that does something almost every episode. But shoving that aside, the fat Rocket-dan made the episode better. The voices were quite hilarious to hear and the Rocket-Dan workout was awkward to watch but it was funny nonetheless. We also saw the return of Kojiro's rose. Kojiro made some random grunting (I doubt from opening the door) when trying to get through the Pokémon Center. The return of the Kanto Rocket-Dan motto was a nice surprise although I didn't realize it till a bit later. My gashapon (capsule dispenser) machine guess was actually a car mecha with a container of Monster balls? The only thing that stood out from Satoshi & co's side was Takeshi's fantasy with Joy where he has his bishonen looks.

The plot felt like was a rehash of an old Kanto episode but I felt it was still good. The animation was quite good in the episode, especially the mecha transformation scene. The music was quite epic in this episode. Aside from some Maemuki Rocket-Dan, there some Kanto music that I haven't heard in a while like the Kanto Rocket-Dan theme and that Kanto end-of-the-episode song that was slightly overused back in the day. Overall this episode deserves an 8.2/10.

Didn't get a chance to take screens but I think I'm already late.

Last edited:
Man this one was absurd even by Pokemon standards! How much money did TR get?? The physics have never been less realistic than today. I'm glad to see all of the group's Pokemon again. So Buizel sleeps standing up with his arms folded. WTF were Turtwig, Swinub and Staravia doing?!
3pokemonscufflegm2.jpg

Last edited:
Swinub tries to be the next Munchlax, and fails. Poor Swinub, it'll get its revenge when it evolves.

OMG, this episode has like almost no plot whatsoever, or varied plots XD
Anyways, it was good, but it seemed kinda short...

LOL, Team rocket doesn't stay fat for long, huh?

Did you guys see the reference to the chronicles episode? With James crawling on the floor of the obsticle course? I never saw those episodes to be even mentioned in the actual anime XD

Ugh, WTH? Mime Jr. and Carnivine didn't even get fat *is angry*
And Megayamna needs more love...apparently he isn't really part of the group yet.

And Piplup...GTFO you tattletale D:
Even though he was kinda cute when he yelled "pochamamamampocha!!!'
Cx

Seriously, I thought that the piplup-related stuff was going to be deeper than just "tired from training" crap...

And OMG, Team rocket was so SUAVE when they first appeared "cool" in the car. James kept that rose in his mouth for several minutes without pricking his mouth. That's amazing.

And now they have Domino's roses? I don't know Japanese, but when pikachu electrocuted them, I'm guessing that since they were "going back to the basics" that they forgot to electric-proof their mecha? LOL, that hasn't happened in a while XP

Kanto motto! I was wondering why it sounded to different XD

"Domino's roses"? Domino uses tulips.

And what's wrong with Tajirian? It solidifies that this is NOT EARTH, which it isn't. It's inspired by Earth, but if it was direct, that would mean that Venice and Las Vegas are in Japan.

I liked this episode a lot. It was nice too see TR somewhat threatening again. Their costumes were nice too and so was hearing the old motto.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom