• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dub Voice Actor Guesses/Discussion

I've been thinking more about who my ideal voice actress for Lillie would be after yesterday's Evolutions short and I think someone like Brianna Knickerbocker or Xanthe Huynh might have worked.

Regarding Laurie Hymes' take on her, I'll admit it's grown on me a bit and I kind of see what they were going for since Lillie is a bit of a prissy rich kid in the that series, but obviously she's nothing like that in the games or Evolutions and I can see why it was so jarring to people.

Brianna was another VA that I had in mind for Lillie. I could see her pulling it off greatly if she was ever casted.
Regarding Laurie Hymes' take on her, I'll admit it's grown on me a bit and I kind of see what they were going for since Lillie is a bit of a prissy rich kid in the that series, but obviously she's nothing like that in the games or Evolutions and I can see why it was so jarring to people.
Speaking of Laurie, I honestly do think her performance was fine with the first few episodes, it's the rest of the series where things started to not click with me. Of course I'm not basing Laurie entirely on her Lillie role because when she's given the best kind of direction, man she kills it (IkeepmentioningthiswheneverItalkaboutLauriebutpleasegocheckoutLizandtheBlueBird, it'seasilyherbestperformanceever, cough cough, errr, what was I even saying again?).

Heck, I did enjoy her XY roles too.

Speaking of Laurie, I honestly do think her performance was fine with the first few episodes, it's the rest of the series where things started to not click with me. Of course I'm not basing Laurie entirely on her Lillie role because when she's given the best kind of direction, man she kills it (IkeepmentioningthiswheneverItalkaboutLauriebutpleasegocheckoutLizandtheBlueBird, it'seasilyherbestperformanceever, cough cough, errr, what was I even saying again?).

Heck, I did enjoy her XY roles too.
Interesting perspective. I think the problem might be that they ended up playing up her character a bit too much after she got settled in. You see, part of Lillie's humor/charm in the Japanese version of that series is that her dialogue is written in an overly polite and formal manner. That doesn't always translate well to English, so maybe they were trying to compensate with her voice acting and ended up getting carried away.

A similar thing happened with Erika back in EP026, and while the voice itself didn't end up being grating, her overall portrayal in the dub came off as downright passive aggressive to a lot of English speakers, where in Japanese the humor came from the contrast between her elegant manner of speech and her blunt actions after Ash insulted her perfume.

Liz and the Blue Bird, huh? I'll have to check that out.

Liz and the Blue Bird, huh? I'll have to check that out.
She's also in the CG Lupin movie that NYAV did too (which also had Tony Oliver and the others back). It's another one I wanna check out eventually.

What's everyone's opinion on people "leaving" the voice roles and never coming back for the dub? I assume the actors that leave move on to bigger and better paying acting gigs than continue being on a "low" paying anime dub.

What's everyone's opinion on people "leaving" the voice roles and never coming back for the dub? I assume the actors that leave move on to bigger and better paying acting gigs than continue being on a "low" paying anime dub.
It's always sad to hear whenever a voice actor leaves the show especially if it's say someone like Eileen Stevens who felt like a major VA to the series until she moved to Florida, Ryan Nicolls who I thought was gonna be another big VA until he left near the start of Journeys or Eric Stuart who we know will never come back now that he's retired from voice acting (aside from Seto Kaiba) and is now more focused on his music career but I always wish them the best of luck in terms of their future endeavours.

The day that say, Rodger Parsons fully leaves will be the saddest day in the anime dub's history.

What's the deal with Eric? Does he still have I'll will for the production switch? I'm still confused why Veronica Taylor hasn't returned to the dub in any capacity.

What's the deal with Eric? Does he still have I'll will for the production switch? I'm still confused why Veronica Taylor hasn't returned to the dub in any capacity.
I'm not sure if he still does or if it's all just a thing of the past but all we know with Eric, it's that he's now more focused on his own band and doesn't really do voiceover work anymore.

As for Veronica, I've no clue either.

Sending my prayers to the dragon gods that Eileen Stevens was able to reprise Iris and we'll hear her again in less than a week.

I'm not sure if he still does or if it's all just a thing of the past but all we know with Eric, it's that he's now more focused on his own band and doesn't really do voiceover work anymore.

As for Veronica, I've no clue either.
Veronica's openly stated several times that she'd love to return to the dub as Ash or in any capacity at all, but TPCi hasn't called her since the recast.
(e.g. https://twitter.com/TheVeronicaT/status/736213709698142208)

Last edited:
There has too be some bad blood that she hasn't returned to play COTD or other Pokemon.

I honestly kinda prefer a black VA to voice Iris if Eileen doesn't come back just for some extra representation.

Back
Top Bottom