• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite Bug-type(s)?

Mega Pinsir needs more love. Or maybe it doesn't, because a human-sized stag beetle with oversized horns flying at your face is absolutely terrifying.

I want to know what it is about the Pokemon universe that makes bug Pokemon so horrifically oversized compared to their real-world counterparts:

-Pinsir is 5 feet tall
-Araquanid is a 6-foot-tall spider
-Volcarona is 5 feet tall when it appears upright
-Golisopod could be a basketball player, but this one's a little more passable given the fact that it's a Devonian sea creature
-Scolipede is eight freaking feet tall
-Even Caterpie is a foot long. That's bigger than pretty much every caterpillar in the real world.
-Galvantula and Ribombee are about the only "normal" sized bug Pokemon, with the former appearing at just under 3 feet tall (still a bit big for a spider, but Australia), and the latter at a comparatively tiny eight inches tall.

My top favorite Bug-type Poke is Heracross, who also happens to be one of my favorite Pokémon in general. But I also like Scizor and Yanmega a lot, too; and I wouldn't say there are any of this type that I actively dislike.

-Golisopod could be a basketball player, but this one's a little more passable given the fact that it's a Devonian sea creature
No, it's a giant isopod, which is a creature that exists in the present. They don't get as big as Golisopod, though
BwCzhMqIUAAnqMb.jpg

Scyther is one of the very few where I like the pre-evolved form more or just as much as the evolved form. This one however, I like just as much.
Scyther and Scizor are near enough two separate pokemon and i love them both equally and there for will always be at the top of my list for Bug types

Due to the new releases though, Golispod is a close runner up (just really hate his ability)

Honorable mentions in no particular order:
Heracross
Yanmega
Vikavolt
Armaldo

Well it's kinda hard to choose. There's Volcarona, Scyther, Golisopod, Scolipede and Araquanid. I also like Pheromosa and Masquerain. I guess I'll choose Scyther since I have always liked its design since the first generation.

Volcarona. It's not just my favourite bug, it's easily one of my favourie pokemon. Everything about it is amazing.
The design has a lot of motifs and inspirations going on, and yet it manages to put them all together cohesively into a beautiful design.
In gameplay terms it's really good and along the rest of gen 5 bugs breathes new life into the type. And I like how it works in general.

Aside that, I really like Galvantula, Ribombee, Yanmega, Ninjask, and Masquerain. Some because of their concept and design, some because they're also good... and some I wish were better.
I so wish Masquerain was Bug/Water with Levitate instead...

-Scolipede is eight freaking feet tall
That's about the actual size of the largest Arthropleura. The difference is "what if it were a centipede instead", which considering the rest of the line having features of both seems fine. (And I guess not extinct)
And of course, there's the living giant centipede which is still one foot long.

Last edited:
Volcarona. Awesome special attack and cool design.

Scolipede. Come on, who doesn't want an eight foot tall, fast, venomous, centipede on their team?

Here are my top 3 favourites:

Golisopod
latest

My favourite Bug type and one one of my favourite Alola Pokémon. Words cannot describe how awesome I think this Pokémon is. I love it's design, and I thought it was awesome to use in Pokémon Sun. Golisopod was also one of those Pokémon that I just new had to be on my team when I first saw it.

Scizor
VD2jujcKS1a-j-XGYDFIoMWuTPiXh3V7X884idcqkzGGEIMN-w-y2q3J61z6lPW037JJ3gqbgbkxDLlat_NH3XuTHYsOilMeCfkd4WtQE3_m=w120-h120-nc

Was my favourite Bug type before Golisopod came along, but I still like it a lot. I've always thought Scizor was cool, but it wasn't until XY that I really fell in love with, as I had one on my first playthrough of Y that was awesome.
I think Scyther is cool as well.

Scolipede
Z39XbNzKF2DjW-7HVLnjW0UmSTQb8UtTaS0TGsTtKQgMq0tLCFlSobrR83nkwDsCKFNRMvuhN5JHASHx1oVeneLrWaJdvAKHPvnUbhSFCARBWg=w120-h121-nc

To be honest I've never used this Pokémon before, but it's design is just so amazing that I can't help but love it. I'll definitely be having it in one of my main playthrough teams someday.

Honourable Mentions: Volcarona, Escavalier, Venomoth, Shedinja

Scizor and Goliscopod look cool and are strong as well. Other than that, well, bug types suck. That's just my personal opinion, of course.

*kicks down door, dressed like Guzma* YO I HEARD WE WERE TALKING ABOUT MY BUG CHILDREN?? I love bug types. They're way up there with my favorite typings... if only they were more useful for me in the long term. My babies are so fragile.

To get it out of the way, assume that literally every three-stage caterpillar is on the list for simplicity sake. I love my worm babies. Now then lets get this show on the road.

96px-046Paras.png

Paras: MY MUSHROOM SON.
It about kills me knowing that the mushrooms take over his mind when he evolves. Paras evolving is always bittersweet for me.
96px-167Spinarak.png

Spinarak: LIL GREEN BOI.
This was the first bug type I ever started loving. Even as a kid I was like "Squee look at the cute spider~" and this was waaay before I had anxiety medication and lost almost all fear to arachnids.
250px-545Scolipede.png

Scolipede: BUG HORSE!!
I love this guy. Look at him. Look at this guy. I love him. I want to ride my giant bug horse into the sunset and strike fear into all who fear insects. Soclipede does not care. Look at that face. He's just like "yeah okay this is happening."
96px-595Joltik.png

Joltik: ITS. SO. FLUFFY. I'M GONNA DIE!
*Tiny screaming* LOOK AT IT. LOOK AT HOW SMALL IT IS. I *NEED* TO CARRY THIS GUY AROUND IN A TINY BASKET.
96px-742Cutiefly.png

Cutiefly: MOST. ACCURATE. NAME.
*More tiny screaming* ITS JUST AS SMALL AS JOLTIK GET IN THE TINY BASKET, SON.
96px-767Wimpod.png

Wimpod: PROTECT AT ALL COSTS.
Poor baby doesn't get any braver after evolution. I need to build him a little safe house.
96px-451Skorupi.png

Skorupi: LIL SCORP BABBY!
Give this precious little thing an everstone it gets weird when it evolves.
250px-752Araquanid.png

Araquanid: SURPRISE TOTEM, GUYS.
I loved my water bug in Moon. It killed me not using it in Ultra Moon for diversity. Shout out to the totem araquanid that gave me quite the spook when it suddenly appeared during Lana's trial. I think that's the first time anything has spooked me in Pokemon. It actually got me laughing at how surprised I was. It was also my toughest totem fight. You go, bug boi.

I'm fond of Scizor, Heracross, Yanmega, Galvantula, Volcarona and Vikavolt. My overall favourite would be Scizor. Technician + Bullet Punch/Bug Bite absolutely wrecks ingame. Its design is so nice and sleek imo - I also liked the darker colouration it had in Gen V.

I'm pretty fond of Bug types and have had several on my teams throughout the generations. The Scyther, Nincada, Joltik, Venipede, Wimpod, and Dewpider lines are my top favorites, and the only individual Bug type that I really dislike is Parasect because its design always creeped me out (those eyes...).

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom