• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DISCUSSION: Favorite characters to write

BackSet

You Could Use Some Imagination
Reaction score
Greetings writers workshop general chat. It's time for a question. I ask you these things to make you look back on past works and crap like that. Also because I'm curious. Anyway, here it goes: What is your favorite character you've ever written.

I'd have to say mine is Artemis Seer (who is not a self insert, thank you very much). He subverts everything you'd expect of a Pokemon protagonist. He's an anti-social science genius who prefers studying to battling. Instead of squeeing over the big names in Pokemon battling he squeeing over the big names in science and history. While he's calm and stoic most of the time when he talks about science he becomes super adorable. And his only Pokemon is an umbreon who's more for companionship than battling.

What is your favorite character you've ever written.
I'd say mine was Angel, a female Meowth with a fur pattern based off a snow leopard. She starts out a ship's cat for a pirate crew, helping them out with their wicked deeds but when her captain forces her to accompany some prisoners into a cavern looking for a magic sword, she develops a change of heart throughout the story.

My favorite? Oh, geez, this is hard to choose. Can I just pick all of them?

I guess if I had to choose, it'd be Sai Luart from Survival/Phantom Project. His childhood was basically spent being part of an experiment for Team Rocket, and the first fic has him struggling to become completely free of their grasp after they send him out in the real world for the second half of said experiment. I have a huge soft spot for him because of how determined and sweet he is despite everything, really.

this makes me wonder if i need to watch for spoilers on an old, completed story several years later

I couldn't pick an absolute favourite. But I do enjoy writing Meowth in The Long Walk. I write him as a real cat - i.e: a vindictive, selfish little savage. The kind of creature that would disembowel something, lose interest in it, and then pretend to be a cute little fluff ball while the blood's still drying on his claws.

I don't really have a lot of characters I write, so anyone who's read my stuff probably knows I'm just gonna say Red Akai. He's an edgy pretentious antisocial sadistic asshat and I love him so much. He hates everyone except some frickin snail thing and some weird chaotic fossil god thing. He's a disaster and he doesn't even realize it. I love him as much as he loves first degree murder.

Although, if I had to pick another character: Back when I wrote Dear Nemesis, Burrito the Espeon was definitely my fave. Constant innuendos, lewdy lewd cat. Though it is a shame I never got to show off the kinder and more supportive part of him, there wasn't really a good spot for it and back then I wasn't half the writer I am today, not that I'm too much even now.

Current favorite would probably be a human named Ezra who stumbled upon an injured Arceus and his first words to it were "How can I help you?"

It's so much fun writing a character who doesn't act quite human and has an insatiable appetite for adventure

I very much prefer writing from a pokémon's perspective since humans tend to blur together after a while and that gets boring

God, easily Sylvio Surge. Never actually published or posted anything with him in it but dear god will I never think up a more loved character.
He was a real showy guy who used electric types and viewed battles like a performance. He cared about winning, sure, but he cares about making sure any spectators had a good time watching even more. He was flamboyant and exciting and everybody loved him and his performances. He wasn’t a perfect guy, though. He took care of abandoned/abused/trafficked Pokémon in his free time because his father did the same to his blitzle when he was younger, and he gets super pissed off to the point of trading blows with people if he saw them mistreating their Pokémon.
I really need to write something with this beautiful bastard that I find good enough to publish.

My favorite characters to write are the ones that have more...eccentric personalities. Back when I was writing PMD: Legends Unraveled, Theus Lucario was just hilarious for me, ash e always got himself into funny situations despite his supposed wisdom. In hindsight his backstory and character didn't coincide, so the eccentricities had to fade with my latest incarnation of him.

Currently, I enjoy writing for my villain, Arthus Zoroark. He is just so confident in what he does that he reacts spontaneously, and he says things with absolutely no care toward his peers, making him seem comedic in a way. This, combined with the fact that his calm demeanor snaps upon mention of certain subjects, and the fact that he is slightly insane from 2,000 years of imprisonment, makes him one of my favorites. Especially in PMD: Unequivocant.

Another that I love is from PMD: The Forgotten Isles. Frederick Feraligatr is a half-savage sea captain with an appetite for flesh, a most unusual trait in the PMD world. I liked writing for him just to see where his odd demeanor takes him with his interactions.

So, yeah. I like writing for half-crazy Pokemon. Does that make me half-crazy too?

God, easily Sylvio Surge. Never actually published or posted anything with him in it but dear god will I never think up a more loved character.
He was a real showy guy who used electric types and viewed battles like a performance. He cared about winning, sure, but he cares about making sure any spectators had a good time watching even more. He was flamboyant and exciting and everybody loved him and his performances. He wasn’t a perfect guy, though. He took care of abandoned/abused/trafficked Pokémon in his free time because his father did the same to his blitzle when he was younger, and he gets super pissed off to the point of trading blows with people if he saw them mistreating their Pokémon.
I really need to write something with this beautiful bastard that I find good enough to publish.

The obvious love for this character is pretty contagious ngl

My favorite characters to write are the ones that have more...eccentric personalities. Back when I was writing PMD: Legends Unraveled, Theus Lucario was just hilarious for me, ash e always got himself into funny situations despite his supposed wisdom. In hindsight his backstory and character didn't coincide, so the eccentricities had to fade with my latest incarnation of him.

Currently, I enjoy writing for my villain, Arthus Zoroark. He is just so confident in what he does that he reacts spontaneously, and he says things with absolutely no care toward his peers, making him seem comedic in a way. This, combined with the fact that his calm demeanor snaps upon mention of certain subjects, and the fact that he is slightly insane from 2,000 years of imprisonment, makes him one of my favorites. Especially in PMD: Unequivocant.

Another that I love is from PMD: The Forgotten Isles. Frederick Feraligatr is a half-savage sea captain with an appetite for flesh, a most unusual trait in the PMD world. I liked writing for him just to see where his odd demeanor takes him with his interactions.

So, yeah. I like writing for half-crazy Pokemon. Does that make me half-crazy too?

If that makes you half-crazy, my stories indicate that I’m a masochist or a sadist ‘cause I prefer to write emotional stuff. Besides, I’d say 2000 years of imprisonment is bound to screw up anyone’s mind.

Similar to lucarioknight I very much enjoy writing more unhinged/eccentric characters. In particular I like writing ruthless short fused characters.

I would have thought it was quite usual to enjoy writing characters of that nature? After all, the extraordinary is always more interesting than the ordinary.

That said, personally, once I get to know any well developed character, I find writing them thoroughly enjoyable.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom