• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Favorite Gigantamax Form

Which is your favorite G-Max form?

• Venusaur

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Charizard

• Blastoise

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Butterfree

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Pikachu

• Meowth

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Machamp

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Gengar

• Kingler

• Lapras

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Eevee

• Snorlax

• Garbodor

• Melmetal

• Rillaboom

• Cinderace

• Inteleon

• Corviknight

• Orbeetle

• Drednaw

• Coalossal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flapple / Appletun

• Sandaconda

• Toxtricity

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Centiskorch

• Hatterene

• Grimmsnarl

• Alcremie

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Copperajah

• Duraludon

• Eternatus (Eternamax)

• Urshifu (Single Strike Style)

• Urshifu (Rapid Strike Style)

• Total voters

Esserise

Operating without a T-437
Monster Mash Participant 2021
Reaction score
I'm curious to see if there's any Gigantamax Form in particular that has appealed to people, so please vote for and talk about which ones you like the most! Here's Bulbapedia's list, for pictures.

I think my top favorites are Hatterene and Machamp. When I think about Gigantamax, I tend to imagine the ancient disaster described in the games, where the Darkest Day caused numerous Pokémon to Dynamax and run rampant across the Galar region. For some reason, those two have the most imposing, intimidating aura in my mind. I especially like Hatterene's for reasons I mentioned in another thread; I think the fact that we can see a relatively smaller Hatterene "inside" the head area of the G-Max form makes it seem like it is an artifice being controlled, like a witch twisting the forest around her into a defense mechanism. For me, it kinda strikes the same bell as this depiction of Baba Yaga.

For Machamp, I think what I like about it largely has to do with its proportions relative to the perspective we usually see it from. The legs are muscular but thin, while the upper body is extremely bulky. It doesn't look as incongruous as it sounds - since we're always looking at G-Max Machamp from down on the ground, I feel like it kind of naturally guides your eyes up its body. I could easily imagine craning my neck up to get a look at what these huge feet on the ground are connected to. And that puts me right in the mind of the people of ancient Galar who must have looked up and saw Gigantamax Machamp and then panicked.

I am also very fond of Gigantamax Gengar (a literal mouth to Hell come up to swallow you) and Inteleon (I love how it plays with the notion of Gigantamax - Inteleon itself doesn't actually get any bigger, its tail just turns into a high perch from which Inteleon can snipe its targets). And Grimmsnarl's shares numerous (albeit likely unintentional) reference points with other things I've seen, so that's fun.

Drednaw_Gigamax_EpEc.gif

My favorite overall would have to be Drednaw. Most of the Gmax forms--like Megas now that I think about it--don't really catch my eye; many of them I feel are worse-looking than their original forms, and honestly I don't think any of them are better than their base form design-wise (many seem to be more on the ugly side in my opinion). That being said, Drednaw was already a Pokemon that I liked, and, while I prefer the base form, I feel the Gmax form is still pretty cool looking regardless. Charizard, Blastoise, and Corviknight are all runnerups.

Rankings (subject to change):
A: Charizard, Blastoise, Drednaw, Corviknight
B: Butterfree, Lapras
C+: Pikachu, Eevee, Snorlax, Alcremie
C: Venusaur, Orbeetle, Toxtricity, Centiskorch, Hatterene, Grimmsnarl, Sandaconda, Coalosal
D: Meowth, Machamp, Gengar, Kingler, Garbodor, Melmetal, Flapple/Appletun, Duraludon, Urshifu (both)
F: Rillaboom, Cinderace, Inteleon, Copperajah

Drednaw_Gigamax_EpEc.gif

My favorite overall would have to be Drednaw. Most of the Gmax forms--like Megas now that I think about it--don't really catch my eye; many of them I feel are worse-looking than their original forms, and honestly I don't think any of them are better than their base form design-wise (many seem to be more on the ugly side in my opinion). That being said, Drednaw was already a Pokemon that I liked, and, while I prefer the base form, I feel the Gmax form is still pretty cool looking regardless.

That's... entirely my own reasoning. Also, those waves aren't going to rule themselves.

Special shout-out to Copperajah for taking an excellent base design (imposing, powerful, restrained colour palette, real-world references etc.) and turning it into an absolute joke.

Last edited:
Gigantamax Alcremie. Just the entire idea of a wedding cake kaiju is really fun, and I like that it incorporates every topping and coloration into the mix.

Runner ups would be Snorlax, Hatterene, Duraludon, Garbodor, and Orbeetle. In particular, I consider the latter three to be better-looking than their base formes. (Especially Duraludon, who just looks uncomfortable altogether.)

Most of the Gmax forms--like Megas now that I think about it--don't really catch my eye; many of them I feel are worse-looking than their original forms, and honestly I don't think any of them are better than their base form design-wise (many seem to be more on the ugly side in my opinion).

This is interesting to me, because I kind of feel the same way - I remember back when Megas were new, I was quite dazzled by most of them and preferred many of the Mega designs over the originals. But as time has gone by, I don't think I would contend that any of them are an improvement on the base designs (well, maybe Glalie, Manectric, Banette, and Medicham, and possibly Gyarados), and I find myself questioning a lot of their design logics. That isn't to say that I don't still like a lot them, because I definitely do, but I think either my tastes have become more restrained or what appealed to me so much back then was, in part, the novelty.

And I would say the same of Gigantamax, in that I don't really prefer any of them over the originals. But they don't bother me as much in terms of design logic (some of them do - @WyndonCalling rightfully mentions Copperajah), probably because of the context. They're not really presenting themselves as overdone evolutions of already pretty well-rounded and complete designs. Instead they are asking what that Pokémon might be like if it were scaled up to massive proportions, which feels more situational to me, and in this case I think that's a good thing. More specificity has staked out a clearer, more unified creative direction, and the designs need only to accomplish the objective that they've been assigned.

Last edited:
I love Melmetal since I saw its icon, I love circular shapes, cyclops and futuristic robots. I'm getting tired of waiting for it by the way...

Lapras is also great, I like the cruise approach and the musical aura. I kinda wish the horn would have been used for something else though.

Centiskorch is awesome, I love how they turned a centipede into a loooooong road to hell, with cool colors and even references to stoves and radiators.

Garbodor and Butterfree are the only two designs I actually like. The former is hilarious-looking, the latter is elegant.

-Butterfree because I love how fancy it looks. It's wings are so pretty!
-Meowth because long cat is long
-Gengar because it reminds me of Atomos from the final fantasy series.
-Snorlax because it has been sleeping for so long an ecosystem has grown on top of it.
-Toxtricity because the colors are mesmerizing and yet there's something I find very unsettling and monstrous about it.

-Toxtricity because the colors are mesmerizing and yet there's something I find very unsettling and monstrous about it.

Same here. I think it's mainly the eyes, for me. The lack of irises and pupils make it look sort of possessed, especially compared to Tox's usually more relaxed expression.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom