• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 1 pokemon you've never had the urge to train.

Psyduck/Golduck and Goldeen/Seaking, especially since they've managed to weasel their way into every non-Unova national dex so far. Does Game Freak not realise how painfully bland these two families are?

Append Geodude family to the list...stupid exploding shitwads >_>

Last edited:
The generation I pokémon I have never had in my parties are Spearow, Fearow, Ekans, Arbok, Raichu, Sandshrew, Sandslash, Staryu, Starmie, Slowpoke, Slowbro, Shelder, Krabby, Kingler, Voltorb, Electrode, Cloyster, Goldeen, Seaking, Seel, Dewgong, Vulpix, Ninetales, Growlithe, Arcanine, Farfetch'd, Ditto, Snorlax, Hitmonlee, Moltres and Zapdos.

Last edited:
I never triained Hitmonlee, or Hitmonchan although I do appreciate the gift from the karate master :p. Only fighting pokes I like on my team are Hiroyama, and Primeape. Also (not including times I just throw them in the party for surfing, waterfall, or whirlpool) I never trained water types as my main team unless the water pokemon is a starter, a wairus, a lapras, or a gyrados

edit: oops I saw that it says "gen 1" oh well, disregard the stuff about whirlpool, waterfall, and wairus, and hiroyama.

Last edited:
They're a fair few I've never wanted to train... I never ever wanted a Mr.Mime, mostly because I really just didn't like them. Never really wanted a Jynx or a Parasect, not sure why...

In the Gen I games, I never favored Fighting-types, Rock-types, Ground-types, or Poison-types. I don't know why, but they weren't all that appealing to me at that time. I never even bothered battling against them unless it was a trainer battle. LOL

The only Gen I pokemon I haven't and probably never will train is Mankey/Primeape. Their designs look horrible and I've never wanted to train a ball of fluff with arms and legs. I have actually trained every single Gen I except the monkey pigs and I quite enjoyed having everyone of them on one of my teams at some point in time.

A lot actually. Rattata, Caterpie, Kakuna, Spearow, Goldeen, Staryu, Zubat, Paris, Diglett and their evolutionary counterparts.

Venusaur (But I would train Ivysaur...?), ANY Bugs except for maybe Scyther (Until Gen III), any Psychic, any Ground that wasn't Sandslash...

I really restricted what got on my team back then. xD

If we are including FR/LG, then I now don't mind using Butterfree/Beedrill/Alakazam/Marowak, but that's about the main difference.

Oh, and HATE Muk.

Actually, I've never trained these Gen I Pokémon:

-Weedle line
-Ekans line
-Pikachu line
-Clefairy line
-Jigglypuff line
-Vulpix line
-Meowth line
-Growlithe line
-Tentacool line
-Slowpoke line
-Magnemite line
-Farfetch'd
-Shellder line
-Onix
-Drowzee line
-Krabby line
-Voltorb line
-Cubone line
-Lickitung
-Chansey
-Kangaskhan
-Tauros
-Lapras
-Omanyte line
-Kabuto line
-Aerodactyl
-Snorlax

Wow. I still have to train many Gen I Pokémon.

Onix
Zubat
Geodude
Oddish
Electabuzz
Magmar
Ditto
Paras
Meowth
Dratini
Machop
Exeggcute
Vulpix
Voltorb
Clefairy
Kangheskan
Mr. Mime
Jigglypuff
Ponyta
Farfetch'd
Drowsee
Abra
Caterpie
Weedle
Jynx
Doduo
Goldeen
Krabby
Grimer

^My original list. I've now trained Vulpix, Magmar, Caterpie, Machop, Abra and Dratini. There are actually a lot more pokemon i've never trained from Gen 1, not to mention Gens 2, 3, 4, and of course 5

Hypno, it is so creepy (especially its Dex entries), slow and can't hit hard.
Electrode - boring design and movepoll, and it looks like it has taken hazardously large amounts of drugs.
Dugtrio - looks lame and has next to no bulk.

I'll go with the Jigglypuff line. I guess its RBY moveset consisting only of Sing and being very low-leveled in the one area you can catch it (on the way to Mt. Moon to be specific) didn't really help.

Two that I can think of are Bellsprout and Ditto. Three Pokémon lines that you usually wouldn’t expect some to train being Jigglypuff, Paras, and Seel. I trained Jigglypuff in Let’s Go for having a psychic move. (That doesn’t make too much sense really because it’s fairy), I had a Parasect for 100% chance of sleep, and Seel for ice typing. (I know this thread isn’t for Pokémon you trained but nobody else did but I don’t know if there is one. If anybody sees one, please tell me. I’d be very interesting in posting there)

So, Pokémon I'd likely never have in a team?
  • Beedrill (without Mega): Doesn't seem too strong or resistant.
  • Persian, Fatfetch'd, Lickitung, Tauros: Not a fan of Normal-types and their mediocre design does not help. I'm tempted to add Raticate but I have vague memories of using it some time during my childhood and it wasn't that bad.
  • Dodrio, Fearow: Limited moveset and stats, Pidgeot feels better.
  • Pinsir: Scyther seems more reliable.
  • Porygon: I like him but trading twice would be too much of a hassle.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom