• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation 8 Rumours/Fakes/Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I been playing competitive for years. I'll say this. Competitive Pokemon battling in its current system. Is one of the most boring Spector Esports. It's so slow it's like chess but with luck involved

the Pokemon world championships final only did 30k viewers on twitch. Sun and moon sold over 16 million copies but only 30k actually cared about competitve battling

Last edited:
this can give an idea of how many competitive players and spectators are out of there. As Merrick said, less than 1% of the buyers are involved in competitive. So if they really change the BS and IF they will lose all the competitive players, they'll lose only the 1% of their audience. But how many new players (or nostalgic one) will start? i think more (only if the new BS will be cool. If it will be bad, they will lose players and fall)

this can give an idea of how many competitive players and spectators are out of there. As Merrick said, less than 1% of the buyers are involved in competitive. So if they really change the BS and IF they will lose all the competitive players, they'll lose only the 1% of their audience. But how many new players (or nostalgic one) will start? i think more (only if the new BS will be cool. If it will be bad, they will lose players and fall)
the biggest E sports are real time battles not turn based

the biggest E sports are real time battles not turn based
but does it mean pokemon need to change because of it? NO.
the only reason competitive pokemon died it's because the festival plaza, with the pss the competitive was much bigger because it's playable, the plaza is not.

i don't think it's only for that.
The reasons are multiple.
Also we need to consider that the pokemon battles, even from the first episode of the anime, were real time battles, not turn based. So the concept was already there.

we are talking about the base concept of pokemon, not only the anime. even in the manga. The battles in the concept were real time. The turn based were done in the videogame only because they were not able to do otherwise in old consoles. but now they can. Really simple

game =/ anime.

You know what, I think that GF have taken a new twist: incorporating anime elements into the games. This deduction of mine is based on Ash-Greninja. If GF decided not to add Ash-Greninja, then neither the Ash-Pikachu homage nor the availability of Lycanroc-Dusk would have happen.

yeah, but the action battle in the anime is very different from the digimon world, i would be ok with the anime style but not DW style.

yeah, but the action battle in the anime is very different from the digimon world, i would be ok with the anime style but not DW style.

If that were to happen, then Smogon would have to start from scratch when it comes to the classification of the tiers now that speedy Pokémon are better at dodging lol

If that were to happen, then Smogon would have to start from scratch when it comes to the classification of the tiers now that speedy Pokémon are better at dodging lol
i can't see something like DW works in a pokemon game.. i just don't.
turn base=good, anime style= still ok i guess, dw style= PLEASE NO

but does it mean pokemon need to change because of it? NO.
the only reason competitive pokemon died it's because the festival plaza, with the pss the competitive was much bigger because it's playable, the plaza is not.
that's not I'm saying. people are saying if they do change it the competive scene will die. the competive scene isn't even 1% the buyers of games

that's not I'm saying. people are saying if they do change it the competive scene will die. the competive scene isn't even 1% the buyers of games
maybe the vgc scene, but they smogon community is pretty big.

we are talking about the base concept of pokemon, not only the anime. even in the manga. The battles in the concept were real time. The turn based were done in the videogame only because they were not able to do otherwise in old consoles. but now they can. Really simple
It can also be the other way around. Tuned based system would look pretty slow in anime format and thus they decided to change it. I still think they should keep the turn based format. Making it more flashier and free like that in Persona 5 would also be a welcome change.

Don't forget to take into account that Pokémon games might attract less individuals who aren't into competitive battling with the Switch now that the Switch games are more expensive and you can't get online for free anymore. I think that Nintendo is aware of sale decreases so they're trying to compensate that by putting a price tag on online feats.

The Switch will be GF's biggest challenge thus far. There's so much to lose.

i can't see something like DW works in a pokemon game.. i just don't.
turn base=good, anime style= still ok i guess, dw style= PLEASE NO
sorry but did you even play games that are similar to DW battle system?
The rumour didnt say its exactly as that game but similar.

My guess is that the game could be in real time and the four attacks are mapped to one of the face buttons. The order in which the attack stack is executed could be based on the agility of the pokemon and the status modify of the buffs and the attack itself.

The attacks also could have a certain range which means that the enemies in theory could evade attacks based on the movement and placement, but so can the player.

this would really bring the competition to the next level since instead of just pure luck and number knowledge it would require actuall skills too.

You know what, I think that GF have taken a new twist: incorporating anime elements into the games. This deduction of mine is based on Ash-Greninja. If GF decided not to add Ash-Greninja, then neither the Ash-Pikachu homage nor the availability of Lycanroc-Dusk would have happen.
Ash Pikachu was always planned. It's purpose was to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the anime. Dusk Lycanroc was also always planned. I think that the anime and the games should be kept separate.

Ash Pikachu was always planned. It's purpose was to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the anime. Dusk Lycanroc was also always planned. I think that the anime and the games should be kept separate.

Well, then you confirm my statement, namely that GF and the anime start planning and coordinating together, especially with Lycanroc-Dusk, and Ash-Greninja to a lesser extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom