• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation II

I did this in SS, I beat Pryce before I beat Chuck or Jasmine.

I only managed to beat them in the right order because I couldn't figure out the Gym's puzzle so I decided to explore the other side.
One of the things I liked about early Gens is how there was a point in the game where you could basically tackle the gym in any number of possible orders, instead of being railroaded from one gym to the next in a most boring way.

AS I remember it...you could pretty much face Erika, Koga, Sabrina and Blaine in any number of orders so long as you faced Koga before Blaine (to get Surf). And I did take advantage of that.

It's not like it was meant to be done that way since the gym levels didn't adjust for your current badge count. It would be interesting if they do that in future generations though.

Also I agree with how dumb the villains were.

Re: Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation II

I find pretty much no fault in Generation III by itself—it is a good game in its own right. But, like many people, I am a bit agitated that it isn't compatible with the previous two generations. This has rendered my hard-trained Typhlosion from Silver completely useless.

Other than that, I find Generation III to be as enjoyable as any other Generation.

I'm so sick of the "Why is gen 3 criticized so much?" posts. The answer: it sucks!

I guess the truth hurts for some people.

Generation 3 was the worst. Period. Nothing will convince me to believe otherwise. As I said before, these games where the reason I stopped playing Pokemon until this year.

I'm so sick of the "Why is gen 3 criticized so much?" posts. The answer: it sucks!

Generation 3 was the worst. Period. Nothing will convince me to believe otherwise.

Compelling argument, you have there.

Generation 3 was the worst. Period. Nothing will convince me to believe otherwise. As I said before, these games where the reason I stopped playing Pokemon until this year.

lol @ you thinking your opinion is something every last person in the world thinks.

You know, if there wasn't a reason for Gen III to be considered the best, this would be it. It got rid of a few annoying fans.

Generation III really did set the standard. God, I love that generation.

Yeah I'm not gonna lie, I am not super engaged in the pokemon fan world, but the few pathetic arguments I've heard against generation 3 (and generation 4 as well) amount to "Generation 2 was the best EVAAAAAR!". There is absolutely no reason or sense behind what they say.

I totally agree, to many were stuck on Gen 2. However I stopped when the major craze ended with the end of Kanto (near the start of Gen II), so I was given a copy of Sapphire later on after it came out, got me hooked again.

Another thing I did love was the music, if they update it and make it sound more realistic than midi sounding (not jazz it up as what they did in HGSS...I didn't like the music so much when I listened to it proir to playing the games, but in the games the music fitted better, however I don't really want jazzing up music again) then I would like it.

Hoping if a remake comes, they do special cutscenes for rayquaza/groudon and kyogre battling etc.. like what they did with the clear bells and ho-oh appearing

Now thats the best reasoning I have heard so far! [/sarcasm]

I really want to go get my sapphire now...where did I put it and my GBA SP?

You know, if there wasn't a reason for Gen III to be considered the best, this would be it. It got rid of a few annoying fans.

...along with most of the other fans.

And I'm not speaking figuratively, I'm speaking as someone who was head administrator of Bulbagarden from 2004 to 2006, one of the most active moderators on The Pokemasters before that, and who's been advising and working with the current BMG head administrator since then. The pokemon community has never been deader than between RS and DP.

There's a reason the poke-community hit its worst years in terms of activity between RS and DP!

The internet was barely in its infancy when RBY and GS came out.

Remember what Bulbagarden and Serebii (and what came before it) were like in the year 2000? That argument doesn't work as the Pokemon fandom was just getting started around the time GS came out.

Now, I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, but I'm not quite understanding your point of view...Yes, Beautifly is very similar to Butterfree, but how does one Pokemon make the rest "blatant copies?" The only other Pokemon I can think of that have similarities to previous Pokemon are Minun and Plusle, but what about the rest?

364Sealeo.png

349Feebas.png

These are the most blantant examples of Gen 1 rip offs I can find. But there is also less obvious ones like the other Crawdaunt and the snake that hated Zangoose

Some of the Pokemon are definitely expies of previous generations, but sometimes fans take it too far and anything based on an animal that they already did automatically receives the response "Game Freak is running out of ideas!" Not even based off of the same animal, but just moderately related species.

Tell that to nature and its Monarch and Viceroy butterflies. Casepoint:

the snake that hated Zangoose

God forbid that there are more than one poisonous snake in the world! (not even the same species)

And the post above still doesn't adress how they are "blatant copies" when they've taken those concepts in other directions. To quote a BMGf staff on this topic:
"Game Freak are uncreative"

Creativity is about coming up with new concepts. The range of new Pokémon leaves little case to claim that Game Freak are just copying the old. I'm sure you could name a few examples, such as the Wurmple line being the Hoenn version of the Caterpie and Weedle lines. But even then an interesting diverging evolution and different character designs show a clear level of creativity.

And the most uncreative generation? Honestly, I'd have to say it was the first one. A lack of creativity with the type combinations (all but one of the Grass Pokémon are part Poison) or just plain uncreative evolution character designs (Electrode and Poliwrath) are the franchise's biggest offenses on this count.

Honestly, people who say that Hoenn Pokemon are just blatant copies or are uncreative have but one argument: They were based off of things Game Freak already did.

That Seviper there? Yeah, its a poisonous snake, but it is neither a rattle snake nor a cobra like Ekans and Arbok. It was given a rivalry with another Pokemon to compliment it, Zangoose.

That brings up another point, despite how bad the two villain teams were thought out, Gen III actually integrated the two versions the best then any other generations by having Pokemon pairs like Seviper/Zangoose, Seedot/Lotad, Solrock/Lunatone, Latios/Latias and Minun/Plusle. They actually differentiated each version much more than the past ones.

It actually made choosing between two versions a bit more difficult other than what box legendary you wanted.

Last edited:

Gen III was the best Generation ever. Emerald was the best Pokemon game ever. Hoenn was the best region ever. Deal with it.

The internet was barely in its infancy when RBY and GS came out.

Remember what Bulbagarden and Serebii (and what came before it) were like in the year 2000? That argument doesn't work as the Pokemon fandom was just getting started around the time GS came out.

And RS practically killed it.

(Also, Serebii? In 2000? It was one of countless minor sites, irrelevant to the discussion of the state of the community back then. Old Bulbagarden, TPM and UPN were the big players in 2000.

I might appear as a Generation 3 hater to some but I think I'd be exaggerating if I said I hated the generation but I'll still always view it as the weakest and the least enjoyable entry in the series and a bit of a disappointment from the usually top quality Game Freak. Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald will always remain as a bit of a misstep in the main Pokémon series for me, kinda like how many felt Castlevania II was a misstep for the Castlevania franchise (a view I don't really share, as I enjoyed Castlevania II quite much, apart from the cryptic hints).

There's not really much I could point out that hasn't already been said but I'll summarize some of my thoughts about the cons of the third gen:

1. No damn backwards compatibility
2. Stupid reboot and how they initially pretended that many previous Pokémon had never existed
3. Clones like Beautifly, Feebas, Wurmple, etc...
4. Idiotic evil teams
5. Half-assed rivalry
6. Crappy music. I personally disliked much of the soundtrack and felt it lacked the oomph of Kanto and particularly Johto. Themes like the wild Pokémon, Trainer, Gym Leader and the Champion battle themes felt very unmemorable to me. In fact, I've completely forgotten many themes of the third generation, even though I can remember most of the other generations' soundtracks. Granted, the evil team, Sootopolis and Regi themes were awesome and are included in the list of my most favorite Pokémon themes. Still, nothing of generation 3's soundtrack could never achieve the greatness of Gold and Silver's Lake of Rage theme
7. Dumping out the Pokégear, the day and night system (probably my biggest issue with the the third generation besides the lack of backward compatibility) and many things that made Gold and Silver so fun.
8. Only one region and the game felt too short for me.

The list could probably go on for a while but you can clearly see I had many issues with the third generation. And in before everyone starts to pick apart my list and calling me wrong and biased against Hoenn, remember that these are just my own, PERSONAL opinions. I know Gen. 3 brought a lot of new things, like natures, double battles, abilities, etc. but the list of my issues is my honest opinion and it will be futile for anyone to try make me change my view. You can disagree with me and I'm not trying to make you hate the third generation if you love/like it but RSE will always be my Castlevania II of the main Pokémon series.

Wow, really?

Like I said, I still Gen III was a rebuilding process and hits were and had to be taken in many different areas (anime, games, you name it), and it looks like the fandom was one of them.

I used to lurk the forums back in the day and when we were in 2002/2003, both Bulbagarden and Serebii used to go down for months at a time. It was the fact that the forums were almost non-existant back then.

I remember the forums barely loading and it taking 10 minutes for a single post to go through. When things finally got stabilized around 2004/2005, there was a community both here and on Serebii's forums, as I was there at the time.

Generation III is overall still my favourite generation, the great plot, the great region and the puzzles that extended gameplay (like the Regi one) made it a brilliant generation. Generation II was nice, but just like every other generation I've played (excluding Gen III), the storyline is way too simple, although Platinum's story extension nearly put it on parr with that of Emerald.

Just my opinion ;).

Gen 3 indeed gets too much flack. Many of the people who bash this gen are the same people who hold Gold and Silver on a pedestal when the following two generations clearly improved on everything Gen 2 did.

Honestly, I got my Ruby version the same month it was released in the US, and I played the hell out of that game, far more than any other game in the series until my Diamond version that is. Did it have problems? Of course it did, ever gen does. But a lot of them felt really exaggerated.

The Aqua/Magma plot wasn't terrible, just botched in execution in the original Ruby and Sapphire versions. Emerald fixed that. A lot of older Pokemon were missing? FireRed, LeafGreen and Emerald fixed that, but more importantly it made you give these new Pokemon a chance and not fall back on the old favorites. Gold/Silver was overshadowed by the return to Kanto aspect, and I knew too many people who just imported their Red/Blue team and didn't even bother giving the new guys a chance. Not enough to do? Fixed in the later versions as well. Contests were a good new concept, they just didn't have a lot of depth the first time around. The Battle Frontier was also a great new concept, even if the computer players in that area are notoriously cheap.

Really, if Gen 3 was so horrible and awful and almost killed the series, why was Gen 4 so clearly modeled heavily after it?

I got into Pokémon two summers ago using emulators, so no nostalgia there.

Gen III was by far the best, followed by Gen II (I hadn't played Gen IV at that point). The designs were good, the story was rich. I didn't care about nostalgia. I was able to be challenged by the different aspects of Hoenn (which is my favorite region). I loved the diversity of Pokémon you could find in the early routes; Zigzagoon, Lotad, Wingull, Poochyena, Ralts, Shroomish, Taillow, Wurmple, Nincada. And that was all before the first Gym.

So I guess I'm not a good Pokémon fan, but Gen III definitely topped the previous generations, hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom