• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh well I apologize for restating such an obvious point, I only registered yesterday and only looked at the page linked form tvtropes (about the London thing) before registering, so I missed the rest of the discussion
TV Tropes? Why was the London tweet referenced there? It really isn't a big deal.

Beucase this isn't the only site with fora? I guess I should have been more specific. I was linked here (earlier in this thread) by the ORAS thread on TVTropes' forums

So Movie 18 will be about the Weather trio and (as strongly implied) Hoopa. Color me surprised that the Weather trio are getting a movie in addition to the Mega Evolution specials; there is something wrong with that considering that Zygarde, Mega Mewtwo X and the Mega Eon duo have yet to receive any screentime.

But getting to the point at hand, this makes it unlikely for a new main series game to be released next year. While Movie 17 focused on the preceding release (XY) rather than the next one (ORAS), at least Mega Diancie was tied to the latter. With Hoopa, Unbound Forme already exists in ORAS' data, so it can't very well be used to promote another game. I thought that Zygarde would be featured in the movie regardless of the games, but I don't see how there can be room for it. The title hasn't been revealed yet, but I don't see why they would bother hiding Zygarde; the movie would be a complete mess if Zygarde were suddenly inserted into the plot.

On the other hand, Zygarde (and its forms) being relegated to DLC could explain not using it for a movie. DLC shouldn't warrant that much promotion.

I actually question if Zygarde will receive any special treatment. Perhaps Game Freak finally decided to break the pattern and not give the third legendary a new form. Game Freak said the next game would be a huge surprise and since it is looking very likely that there will be no 2015 game, I think a Kalos revisit may not happen at all. The new movie focusing on a previous release let alone a remake is unheard of. There's three possibilities for 2016. One is the obvious, a Kalos revisit. At this point, it doesn't seem likely. 2015 would have been the time to do it. The second possibility is in my opinion the likeliest. That is a new Kanto game for the 20th anniversary. Would that be considered Gen VI though? Personally I would view it as Gen VII.

The third possibility is that Game Freak is simply moving on to the new region hinted at in XY. I don't think it's all that likely. I don't think they'd pass up the opportunity to do a new Kanto game for the 20th anniversary. Either way, I think Gen VI is over and Gen VII is what's coming.

That is a new Kanto game for the 20th anniversary. Would that be considered Gen VI though? Personally I would view it as Gen VII.

The third possibility is that Game Freak is simply moving on to the new region hinted at in XY. I don't think it's all that likely. I don't think they'd pass up the opportunity to do a new Kanto game for the 20th anniversary. Either way, I think Gen VI is over and Gen VII is what's coming.
They can't very well use an old region to start a new generation. They should introduce a new region in 2016, and then follow up on it in 2017 via Kanto sequels. Anniversary projects can last more than a year, as I explained here.

That is a new Kanto game for the 20th anniversary. Would that be considered Gen VI though? Personally I would view it as Gen VII.

They can't very well use an old region to start a new generation. They should introduce a new region in 2016, and then follow up on it in 2017 via Kanto sequels. Anniversary projects can last more than a year, as I explained here.

An old region can launch a new generation. I don't see any reason why it can't. It would certainly be unusual but it is possible. A new Kanto game could not be considered Gen VI unless it had the PSS. If it comes out in 2016 and does contain the PSS, O-Powers, or any of the other Gen VI features then yeah I agree it's Gen VI. If not then it is Gen VII.

There is still one last chance to seeing a XY third version next year: The games being announced on june/july/august 2015 for a november/december release, so the movie would have been completed before the promotuion for the game starts. B2W2 were announced just 4 months vefore their release, so it's possible.

(Not that it's wishful thinking, I'm OK with no game next year)

There is still one last chance to seeing a XY third version next year: The games being announced on june/july/august 2015 for a november/december release, so the movie would have been completed before the promotuion for the game starts. B2W2 were announced just 4 months vefore their release, so it's possible.
The movie has not been completed yet. The movies always promote upcoming games to some extent even if there is a 4-5 month gap. We've seen this just recently: Mega Diancie was included in Movie 17 to tie into ORAS, which were released 4 months later.

DasManiac said:
An old region can launch a new generation. I don't see any reason why it can't.
Is there any reason why it should? The anniversary alone doesn't justify it because it shouldn't matter if Kanto is revisited in 2016 or a year later, especially if the 2016 games capitalize on the history of the series as a whole. I find it hard to believe that new Pokémon will debut in Kanto.

I actually question if Zygarde will receive any special treatment. Perhaps Game Freak finally decided to break the pattern and not give the third legendary a new form.

Hmm... well, it could be, but then, what about its "secret power" as mentioned in the Pokédex? And what about Thousand Waves and Thousand Arrows? Those seem to hint pretty strongly at a new form of some kind, and there's also Volcanion to consider. They used Diancie to tie in with XY, they're using Hoopa to tie in with ORAS, and that leaves Volcanion, so logically the next phase would be...? Even if they do go the DLC route for Zygarde, that still leaves Volcanion as a glaring omission. And there's also the Eternal Flower Floette, which may or may not see a distribution, but I couldn't see it not being related to Kalos somehow.

They used Diancie to tie in with XY
You're forgetting Mega Diancie, which was made exclusive to ORAS. If there were a new game to be released next year, I don't see why Unbound Forme wouldn't be kept for that game.

As for Volcanion, it will be too late to distribute it in July 2016 if Generation VII is to be released that year. I recall people thinking that the number of event Pokémon in Generation V was indicative of the generation lasting 4 years, but that wasn't the case; Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect ended up all being distributed in 2012.

I think that Volcanion and Zygarde's forms should be used for a DLC episode. We may not have evidence that Game Freak are interested in DLC, but the possibility of a new Kalos game is getting less likely by the day.

I actually question if Zygarde will receive any special treatment. Perhaps Game Freak finally decided to break the pattern and not give the third legendary a new form. Game Freak said the next game would be a huge surprise and since it is looking very likely that there will be no 2015 game, I think a Kalos revisit may not happen at all. The new movie focusing on a previous release let alone a remake is unheard of. There's three possibilities for 2016. One is the obvious, a Kalos revisit. At this point, it doesn't seem likely. 2015 would have been the time to do it. The second possibility is in my opinion the likeliest. That is a new Kanto game for the 20th anniversary. Would that be considered Gen VI though? Personally I would view it as Gen VII.

Wait, so you really think they're abandoning Gen. VI this soon? So, in other words, everything Game Freak has done this generation is essentially filler. The fact taht they've been contradicting themsleves in inverviews, leaving the lore of Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde unfinished, as well as teh rest of Kalos' plot wholes, and leaving out most-if not all-of Emerald and other features that fans really wanted does kind of reflect that. It's a shame to hear that, esspecially since they've hinted at a mystery region, have AZ's Floette and two unused moves that most likely belong to Zygarde, and put hints about Battle Frontier DLC even though it seems they don't feel motivated enough to do so.

I guess we can conclude one of two things from this:
  • Gen. VI was rushed out by Nintendo so they can get more money
  • This is proof that Game Freak really has no idea what to do anymore with the franchise.

This is kind of why I made that thread about Game Freak taking a break from Pokémon for a few years.

There's no saying that they wouldn't do DLC, so I'm hoping for an expansion pack DLC which will complete what's left unfinished. Revisitng Kalos as a third game simply for Zygarde wouldn't be enough to get people to buy the game unless it had different content, like how they made B2W2 sequels for Kyurem.

Inb4 a Kalos x Hoenn crossover that takes place in the future in an unknown territory where there's a new battle frontier and new league.

Inb4 a Kalos x Hoenn crossover that takes place in the future in an unknown territory where there's a new battle frontier and new league.
What would make it a crossover? It sounds like a new generation, despite any potential story ties.

Hmmmm, interesting development. The lack of a proper title for the movie is interesting, as they usually place the tentative legendary and then give us the full title with the Main legend of February. Perhaps this is a mislead, and it just opens with the primals getting sucked into Hoopa's realm, and they really have a plot with Zygarde and Hoopa going. Either way, I think some or at least one of these will happen:
-The more I think about it, DLC isn't off the table. They way they said the BF is time consuming and thus they excluded it, makes me think at least the option to have it for the more dedicated players as DLC is on the table. Sucks that they didn't consider it worthy for the main game, but eh, DLC with a nice new plot works for me.
-2016 release of the final Kalos game. If DLC doesn't happen, I can see the Hoopa shenanigans somehow connecting Hoenn and Kalos.
-Hoopa is probably gonna have some major game plots going on, DLC or not. I don't see Volcanion outshining it this year at all.

What would make it a crossover? It sounds like a new generation, despite any potential story ties.

I don't know. I only came up with that because of the potential story ties. The two share a history with Mega Evolution and AZ + the ultimate weapon, and even though ORAS did touch upon a lot about Mega Evolution, there are still questions left regarding the new content that's been given via Delta Episode. Both games also have unfinished tales to tell, with Zygarde and the new moves, the event legendaries that aren't released yet, Looker's amnesia, and Battle Frontier references (unless they were just really references for fanservice to indicate ORAS(or RS) took place before Emerald).

The backpacker in XY talks of a new place that's far from Kalos. The fossil maniac in Hoenn says that Steven traveled over three seas to get to Kalos - I'd say the two regions are pretty far apart.

So what if this place, instead of being the new region of Gen7, is actually a place that's near Hoenn somewhere, but has ties with Kalos? It has a separate league, with its own gyms and all, but it doesn't follow the standard format (like, maybe having a completely different system, or simply having less than 8 gyms). There would be an equivalent of a champion, but someone who's more like a mayor or governor. So this place would be a small country that's under Hoenn's reign/influence.

The reason I suggested the crossover to take place in the future is to give room to tie up loose knots for both plots. It will wrap up Zygarde's story, for one thing, and maybe some of the unexplained events in the previous games.

Only way a cross game is happening between Kalos and Hoenn is if Hoopa is involved, and it opens portals between the two regions. I wouldn't mind that honestly, warping between the two regions, eventually beating one league or the other and tying up a two region plot. That or Hoopa transports ORAS Hoenn to XY Kalos, and it defies the rules of time and space. God knows that's what it did with the legendaries. Seriously though, I think its too early to even consider speculating just what's going on, GF probably has something planned, but its totally left field and out of our reach compared to what the series has offered so far.

That or Hoopa transports ORAS Hoenn to XY Kalos, and it defies the rules of time and space. God knows that's what it did with the legendaries. Seriously though, I think its too early to even consider speculating just what's going on, GF probably has something planned, but its totally left field and out of our reach compared to what the series has offered so far.

I'll say. Hoopa would have the very very power to move a whole state (I'd say state cause that seems to the closest analogue to regions and because they don;t look big enough to be countries, in fact 4 of them are based on the same country) and considering that nobody mention any strange rings or skies I'd assume that he'd have to hame some time powers to do ir, and some space powers as to not trigger disasters.

It's be far easier to assume that the Creation trio or Regigigas moved Hoenn then to assume Hoopa did

So what if this place, instead of being the new region of Gen7, is actually a place that's near Hoenn somewhere, but has ties with Kalos? It has a separate league, with its own gyms and all, but it doesn't follow the standard format (like, maybe having a completely different system, or simply having less than 8 gyms). There would be an equivalent of a champion, but someone who's more like a mayor or governor. So this place would be a small country that's under Hoenn's reign/influence.

The reason I suggested the crossover to take place in the future is to give room to tie up loose knots for both plots. It will wrap up Zygarde's story, for one thing, and maybe some of the unexplained events in the previous games.
I don't see Zygarde being the mascot of a new region (especially one that is specifically referenced as being far from Kalos). Call me old-fashioned, but a new region should feature new Pokémon. If you add new hardware to the mix (like the New 3DS), then it should definitely be considered a new generation. Any game released in 2016 should utilize the New 3DS and introduce new mechanics.

Story connections may be acceptable, but I'd definitely find it a waste if a new region were "reigned" by Kalos/Hoenn or anything like that. DLC is a much more elegant way to wrap up the current games. Let's not forget that 2016 marks the series' 20th anniversary, so I'd find it odd if the new games still focused on the most recently explored regions.

Last edited:
The more that I'm thinking about it, the more that a DLC expansion pack "Episode Z" seems more likely. With every Pokémon being available between XYORAS alone, there really isn't that much justification for an entirely new game, especially when Kalos' Regional Pokédex is already huge. But there are obviously still some loose Kalosian threads like Volcanion and the Eternal Floette, and of course, Zygarde's "secret power" which is tied firmly to the Kalos region.

Maybe the plot will be something like, Malva uses Volcanion to threaten Kalos' ecosystem (the thing can blow up whole mountains, after all), and then you use Zygarde in order to stop it, unlocking one of its Formes in the process. And then AZ reappears and gives you an infodump on how Zygarde ties into Kalos' history, and then gives you an Eternal Floette. And then hooray, enjoy bonus features while we work on Gen VII.

I mean, it makes sense, in a weird way. XY had a wafer-thin post-game, which an expansion pack could remedy by adding in a few new features. (Battle Frontier maybe? New clothes for customization? Make use of that train in Couriway Town somehow?)

If you add new hardware to the mix (like the New 3DS)

Quick question about this, just for clarity: Is the New 3DS like, a *new* console? I mean, not in like the obvious way; of course it's a new invention. But I mean, is it like the 3DS was to the DS, with its own games that can only be run on its hardware? And if so, then do you think that the Gen VII games would still be playable on the 3DS, or would they be N3DS-exclusive?

So Movie 18 will be about the Weather trio and (as strongly implied) Hoopa. Color me surprised that the Weather trio are getting a movie in addition to the Mega Evolution specials; there is something wrong with that considering that Zygarde, Mega Mewtwo X and the Mega Eon duo have yet to receive any screentime.

But getting to the point at hand, this makes it unlikely for a new main series game to be released next year. While Movie 17 focused on the preceding release (XY) rather than the next one (ORAS), at least Mega Diancie was tied to the latter. With Hoopa, Unbound Forme already exists in ORAS' data, so it can't very well be used to promote another game. I thought that Zygarde would be featured in the movie regardless of the games, but I don't see how there can be room for it. The title hasn't been revealed yet, but I don't see why they would bother hiding Zygarde; the movie would be a complete mess if Zygarde were suddenly inserted into the plot.

On the other hand, Zygarde (and its forms) being relegated to DLC could explain not using it for a movie. DLC shouldn't warrant that much promotion.

Actually Zygarde could get a role in movie 18, main role even. After Weather Trio would be transported by Hoopa somewhere Zygarde lives and cause havoc there, Zygarde would transform into its new form(s) (possibly Mega) and defend the ecosystem from Weather Trio’s rampage. Zygarde is described in Pokedex to defend ecosystem after all.

Perhaps ORAS will get DLC in early 2015 around the time of ME Act III and XY will get DLC in late 2015 after a movie. I think XY’s DLC should be released after ORAS’ DLC because it would probably have more content and be less predictable.

Maybe the plot will be something like, Malva uses Volcanion to threaten Kalos' ecosystem (the thing can blow up whole mountains, after all), and then you use Zygarde in order to stop it, unlocking one of its Formes in the process. And then AZ reappears and gives you an infodump on how Zygarde ties into Kalos' history, and then gives you an Eternal Floette. And then hooray, enjoy bonus features while we work on Gen VII.
That's what I've been thinking for a while now. I think it would be a refreshing change of pace if Volcanion were obtainable via DLC rather than a movie promotion, and it's easy to imagine Malva using it as her own "ultimate weapon". But I think that Zinnia should also be involved; it's clear that she doesn't like AZ very much, so their meeting would be quite interesting. I'd like to see Zinnia give AZ a piece of her mind. I'm still sour that Game Freak expected us to forgive AZ by the end of XY even though he never redeemed himself.

Quick question about this, just for clarity: Is the New 3DS like, a *new* console? I mean, not in like the obvious way; of course it's a new invention. But I mean, is it like the 3DS was to the DS, with its own games that can only be run on its hardware? And if so, then do you think that the Gen VII games would still be playable on the 3DS, or would they be N3DS-exclusive?
It's a new console in the vein of the GBC. Much like the latter, the New 3DS can enhance graphics and gameplay even for new games that are still playable on the 3DS (GB). Nintendo have already announced that the Majora's Mask remake will be enhanced on the New 3DS in some way, while the Xenoblade Chronicles port will be released exclusively for the New 3DS.

I'm guessing that the Generation VII initial versions will be similar to Gold and Silver in that they won't be exclusive to the New 3DS, but they will advertised as New 3DS games due to the enhancements. It's possible that a 2017 follow-up game will be exclusive to the New 3DS, especially if the 3DS' full-fledged successor is available by then (since it should be backwards compatible with N3DS-exclusive games).

shiny_magikarp said:
Actually Zygarde could get a role in movie 18, main role even. After Weather Trio would be transported by Hoopa somewhere Zygarde lives and cause havoc there, Zygarde would transform into its new form(s) (possibly Mega) and defend the ecosystem from Weather Trio’s rampage. Zygarde is described in Pokedex to defend ecosystem after all.
I don't see why they would keep Zygarde's role a secret. Unlike Hoopa, Zygarde's existence is well known, and if anything they would take their time revealing its forms. Hiding Zygarde itself just doesn't make sense; they've never done something like that before.

From a plot perspective, Zygarde's role in the movie would be redundant with Mega Rayquaza around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom