• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Kanto sequels issue, a new generation has been marked by three main aspects:
-New Pokemon
-Updated grafics.
-Lack of direct communication between the previous generation.

A Kanto sequel set to start Gen VII would lack the first, and therefore, it would need a patch to communicate with the eventual Gen 7 main pair.

The movie has not been completed yet. The movies always promote upcoming games to some extent even if there is a 4-5 month gap. We've seen this just recently: Mega Diancie was included in Movie 17 to tie into ORAS, which were released 4 months later.

I'm thinking of something similar to movie 15, which was supposed to happen during Best Wishes season 1 but ended up in Season 2.

I'm thinking of something similar to movie 15, which was supposed to happen during Best Wishes season 1 but ended up in Season 2.
What are you basing this on? It couldn't be clearer that Movie 15 was designed with B2W2 in mind. If you're referring to the fact that Dawn and Meloetta were part of the cast at the time but weren't in the movie, then that was probably a deliberate choice; they were temporary characters that wouldn't have added much to the movie (the entire reason Meloetta was relegated to the anime is that there wasn't time to give it a movie role). Just because a movie doesn't represent current anime events doesn't mean that it was planned incorrectly.

Last edited:
What are you basing this on? It couldn't be clearer that Movie 15 was designed with B2W2 in mind. If you're referring to the fact that Dawn and Meloetta were part of the cast at the time but weren't in the movie, then that was probably a deliberate choice; they were temporary characters that wouldn't have added much to the movie (the entire reason Meloetta was relegated to the anime is that there wasn't time to give it a movie role). Just because a movie doesn't represent current anime events doesn't mean that it was planned incorrectly.

I always though that the movie took place between Meloetta's arc and Epsiode N at the latest...

But then again I was also the one who wound up witnessing Cartoon Network airing The Diamond and Pearl finale with the Zoroark movie so I probably wound up placeing the movies in different parts f the timeline then the canon

Sometimes I feel like I'd want to see a clean-slate, canon wise. The PokeBank makes me think Game Freak aren't planning a reboot anytime soon or anything, but I'd be interested in seeing perhaps a more fantasy-oriented Pokemon World, like the kind shown in the old Capsule Monster design documents which looks like it was less "real world + Pokemon" like Red and Green ended up being, and a more interesting frontier world. I always thought like a "wild west" inspired setting would be particularly fun to explore, maybe really integrate the "Riding Pokemon" feature, and bring back a sense of discovery with a fairly open setting. Not totally open-world, still a set story path, but makes the routes themselves more wide-open.

I would keep all the Pokemon, of course, as I'm not in support of permanently exorcising any Pokemon from the franchise, even Mega Pokemon which I don't really care for I don't think it'd be fair to demand them gone for good, but take this chance to "simplify" everything else like Sugimori mentioned, although after ORAS it seems like he may have been referencing to the trend of easing things up and making the game more appealing for the busy kids of today.

But I doubt Game Freak are planning to do that. I think a 20th RG remake isn't out of the question, although it's not exactly a wish of mine (I rather disliked FRLG and found them very stale, so I'm not too keen on going back to Kanto), unless they get really innovative and shake things up. More so than B2W2 did. I wonder if they'll perhaps take advantage of the multiple universe plot point and instead of it being a straight-up sequel, it'll be an alternate re-telling of the RG plot. Keep all the same characters, but have them with slightly different designs, and perhaps some "what-if?" elements with them having some changes to character and personality, the basic layout of Kanto, but with the routes and towns re-designed and in some cases quite radically, and throw in some Pokemon from later Generations as Kanto Natives, and of course Mega Evolutions. That'd be pretty neat, I think. And then tie it into the canon that I guess XY started, perhaps explaining why Blue went to Kalos, etc.

shiny_magikarp said:
Actually Zygarde could get a role in movie 18, main role even. After Weather Trio would be transported by Hoopa somewhere Zygarde lives and cause havoc there, Zygarde would transform into its new form(s) (possibly Mega) and defend the ecosystem from Weather Trio’s rampage. Zygarde is described in Pokedex to defend ecosystem after all.
I don't see why they would keep Zygarde's role a secret. Unlike Hoopa, Zygarde's existence is well known, and if anything they would take their time revealing its forms. Hiding Zygarde itself just doesn't make sense; they've never done something like that before.

From a plot perspective, Zygarde's role in the movie would be redundant with Mega Rayquaza around.

I thought the same thing, but perhaps lack of Zygarde is caused by ORAS being just released. They probably wanted to continue promoting Weather Trio without anything else interrupting it at this moment. Revealing new form(s) of Zygarde and basic form of Hoopa in February could still happen. Basing on the trailer, Rayquaza looks like just another fighter, not important as it is in games. If it had a prominent role, the title “Rayquaza and …” would probably be given.

Yeah with Mega Rayquaza in movie 18, Zygarde would be useless. They both are mediators in their respective trios, both acting as a balance for when the other two go on a rampage. So its definitely a Hoopa movie, utilizing the Hoenn legends as the plot device. I'm still not sure if it means DLC or new game, cause in ORAS there is nothing even connecting Hoopa to the rings, and I doubt its a plot thread they want to explain just in the movies. I'm still not sure what the point is connecting both regions either, I mean Hoenn was and is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things, unless Devon and the primals are gonna become major plot points in the coming gens. In that case, Sinnoh is probably gonna be a huge event come 2019-2020, cause if they can manage to make Hoenn central to the overall plot, then they could go crazy with the more lore filled regions. Anyway, that's off topic.

To post something cohesive, I have 2 paths I can see them going with:
-ORAS DLC in the beginning of the year, XY in the end. Both add substantial stuff to each region, give us Hoopa and Volcanion episodes, and manage to tie up the plots nicely. Kalos might be harder to pull off in DLC, cause if they decide for new areas, they would have to significantly raise the levels of the trainers for it to be a challenge.
-New games in 2016. Resolve everything and anything this gen with a Hoenn/Kalos duo.

Or in the case of the most unlikely, South Kalos sequel, which comes with a Unova style expansion for north Kalos, which deals with a new threat and new plot. Strange Souvenir goes nowhere.

I think that the new "movie" having to do with the Hoenn trio (for now) than with Zygarde hints a later Gen VII release, if anything.

I think that right now, to consider a new game "new generation" it has to have:
-Only linear compatibility through a special method .
-A lot of new Pokemon and new forms (with "forms" I'm including Megas).
-A new region.
-A new saga in the anime with a different cast and Ash having a new team.
-Have little connection to the previous generation.

I'm strict because OR/AS has taught to me that in the 3DS, unprogrammed moves and abilities can be releasing in the middle of a generation. And I'm going strict because I don't want to consider a game with "Zygarde" that has a "trio of legendaries (not in OR/AS data)" a "new Gen game".

-

I wonder if they'll perhaps take advantage of the multiple universe plot point and instead of it being a straight-up sequel, it'll be an alternate re-telling of the RG plot. Keep all the same characters, but have them with slightly different designs, and perhaps some "what-if?" elements with them having some changes to character and personality, the basic layout of Kanto, but with the routes and towns re-designed and in some cases quite radically, and throw in some Pokemon from later Generations as Kanto Natives, and of course Mega Evolutions. That'd be pretty neat, I think. And then tie it into the canon that I guess XY started, perhaps explaining why Blue went to Kalos, etc.
That wouldn't be all that different than what they did with Hoenn in ORAS. If that were their plan for Kanto (as opposed to sequels), I really don't see why they would have introduced key Generation I Mega Evolutions in XY (most notably for the starters and Mewtwo). For that matter, Origins is already a fairly faithful re-telling of the original story that still manages to incorporate Mega Evolution and different designs.

shiny_magikarp said:
Basing on the trailer, Rayquaza looks like just another fighter, not important as it is in games. If it had a prominent role, the title “Rayquaza and …” would probably be given.
The fact that it's shiny definitely makes it stand out. I'd be surprised if it weren't distributed as part of the movie promotion (there are always two distributions).

Nymphia said:
I think that the new "movie" having to do with the Hoenn trio (for now) than with Zygarde hints a later Gen VII release, if anything.
Maybe the 2016 movie will be about Zygarde and Volcanion while still promoting the next generation, which is to say that the real star will be a new Pokémon (unless they ended up keeping Zygarde's forms for the next region for whatever reason, which would be similar to Movie 16 focusing on Mega Mewtwo Y). But it's equally possible that there will be an extended anime arc based on the potential DLC episode. Meloetta never got a movie role.

Let's not forget that Groudon and Kyogre's screentime in the AG series was pretty meager. The fact that they're making up for it now could leave Zygarde and Volcanion with the short end of the stick.

Last edited:
Yeah with Mega Rayquaza in movie 18, Zygarde would be useless. They both are mediators in their respective trios, both acting as a balance for when the other two go on a rampage. So its definitely a Hoopa movie, utilizing the Hoenn legends as the plot device. I'm still not sure if it means DLC or new game, cause in ORAS there is nothing even connecting Hoopa to the rings, and I doubt its a plot thread they want to explain just in the movies. I'm still not sure what the point is connecting both regions either, I mean Hoenn was and is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things, unless Devon and the primals are gonna become major plot points in the coming gens. In that case, Sinnoh is probably gonna be a huge event come 2019-2020, cause if they can manage to make Hoenn central to the overall plot, then they could go crazy with the more lore filled regions. Anyway, that's off topic.
Movies are not always 100% faithful to games. Deoxys or Kyurem can change forms at their will in movies, which isn't the case in games. Rayquaza doesn't look in the trailer like dominant force. Hoenn legends could be in the movie mainly to continue promoting ORAS, while Zygarde and Hoopa would be the stars. Like in movie 13, there were Celebi and Beasts to still promote HGSS, but Zorua and Zoroark were the stars.

shiny_magikarp said:
Basing on the trailer, Rayquaza looks like just another fighter, not important as it is in games. If it had a prominent role, the title “Rayquaza and …” would probably be given.
The fact that it's shiny definitely makes it stand out. I'd be surprised if it weren't distributed as part of the movie promotion (there are always two distributions).
No doubt that shiny Rayquaza will stand out and might be distributed in event, but it has nothing to do with Zygarde. Zygarde should be available in DLC to get its new form(s), not in event.

No doubt that shiny Rayquaza will stand out and might be distributed in event, but it has nothing to do with Zygarde. Zygarde should be available in DLC to get its new form(s), not in event.
But said DLC doesn't need to be promoted through a movie. I really don't see what Zygarde can add to the movie with a shiny Mega Rayquaza already serving the role of a protector. I can't fathom Rayquaza being turned into a villain, especially as the Primal Reversions and Hoopa are already "evil" forces to reckon with.

Movie 17 was just about Xerneas, Yveltal and Diancie, and yet only the latter really stood out. Cramming five big legendaries into a movie is a bad idea.

That wouldn't be all that different than what they did with Hoenn in ORAS. If that were their plan for Kanto (as opposed to sequels), I really don't see why they would have introduced key Generation I Mega Evolutions in XY (most notably for the starters and Mewtwo). For that matter, Origins is already a fairly faithful re-telling of the original story that still manages to incorporate Mega Evolution and different designs.

Well, on that same note, if they were planning a Kanto Sequel like you suggested, I think the same principal would apply as well. Personally I think just because they introduced them already, doesn't mean they can't make a game where they're front-and-center. And GameFreak already showed they don't really plan that out as well, what with XY having quite a decent amount of Hoenn Mega Pokemon, including a Starter, when logic dictates it probably would've been better to save them for the remake a year later.

Plus, I feel there are a hefty number of Kanto Pokemon that could have Mega Evolutions that would serve as a big draw. Personally, I'd go with Butterfree (since Beedrill got one, on the other hand, I don't think Fearow needs one like Pidgeot did since they were never exactly on equal terms), Raichu (or, hell, even Pikachu to shake things up), Machamp and Golem (so all the Trade Evos have one), Jynx (as Lorelei's Mega), Dragonite (as Lance's Mega), Marowak (tie it into the Team Rocket plot, like perhaps you could acquire the Cubone this time around who holds a Mega Stone left over by his mother), Snorlax and Lapras (the giveaway Pokemon), Jolteon, Vaporeon, and Flareon (I expect Mega Eeveelutions to happen at some point of another), Farfetch'd (to throw it a bone for once), and something unexpected, like Tentacruel or Rapidash.

And I'd probably keep the Regional Dex as the Kanto Pokemon, but unlike FR/LG, include all their evolutions and pre-evolutions...but, they'd be optional more or less, and the in-game characters would stick to the original 150 since that's what I think people would like to see. I'd also probably throw in Misdreavus/Mismagius, Houndour/Houndoom, Murkrow/Honchkrow, and Skarmory too, appearing in the Wild, to give more options for Ghost, Dark, and Steel-types. And on that note, I'd probably give Blissey and Skarmory Mega Evolutions as well.

Also think a cool, eye-drawing name would simply to call them "Mega Red" and "Mega Green", and to be honest, I'd love to see for once a trio of games, with a "Mega Blue". And of course Mega Venusaur, Mega Charizard (Y, since it fits the color), and Mega Blastoise on the covers. I was thinking a cool idea would to bring back Soaring, but with the Legendary Birds. Depending on the version, at one point in the game you meet Zapdos (Green), Moltres (Red), and Articuno (Blue), who you're given, and can soar on them, with the other two catchable in the post-game in their old locations. Maybe finally give them some semblance of a plot, however minor.

I'd also like to see the game focus on Blue---truth be told, I'd be ecstatic if they switched things up and you played as Oak's grandson/granddaughter (re-imagine Blue's sister as a sibling his age) with Red as the rival, and actually giving him a personality, but I doubt they'd ever do that, so just give Blue more focus. I feel like most people don't really think about Blue on his own, everyone usually thinks of Gary, or Special Blue, and I'd like to see the game one be a bit more interesting, as I really don't recall anything about him beyond the usual memes tossed around. I like the plotpoint the show did with Gary becoming a researcher, truth be told, and I think it'd be interesting if Blue struggled between following in his grandfather's footsteps, or becoming his own person. Maybe introduce his father as well, and perhaps use him to explain why Blue was such a jerk towards Red (although I think it's just because he was a kid, and kids are like that).

Well, on that same note, if they were planning a Kanto Sequel like you suggested, I think the same principal would apply as well. Personally I think just because they introduced them already, doesn't mean they can't make a game where they're front-and-center. And GameFreak already showed they don't really plan that out as well, what with XY having quite a decent amount of Hoenn Mega Pokemon, including a Starter, when logic dictates it probably would've been better to save them for the remake a year later.
But Kanto sequels released as part of Generation VII wouldn't rely on Mega Evolution as heavily as ORAS do. Obviously a lot more Mega Evolutions can be introduced, and I think they should, but the games should have more innovation to them than that.

and I think it'd be interesting if Blue struggled between following in his grandfather's footsteps, or becoming his own person. Maybe introduce his father as well, and perhaps use him to explain why Blue was such a jerk towards Red (although I think it's just because he was a kid, and kids are like that).
That sounds like something that should be explored in a sequel. He is fated to become the Champion and then a Gym Leader, and I don't see why a remake should change that. But he could definitely retire from battling after the events that have already been established.

Anyway, there are already threads about Kanto sequels and remakes. Specific ideas should really be discussed there.

Gen VII? I thought the idea we were discussing was Gen VI having a Kanto Remake/Sequel as its last game to finish things off, a bit later after whatever re-visit to Kalos does or doesn't happen.

Kanto isn't coming to gen 6, far too many of its highlights are feautred in Kalos. Esepecially in its FRLG form. Snorlax, post game legendaries, Lapras its all there. Kanto sequels for gen 7 in 2017 would be likely. Gen 6 at this point would be DLC or with a very small chance another game this year. 2016 seeing a gen 6 release would only be if GF has absolutely lost it, which I think they might have a little.

Gen VII? I thought the idea we were discussing was Gen VI having a Kanto Remake/Sequel as its last game to finish things off, a bit later after whatever re-visit to Kalos does or doesn't happen.
This thread is, for the most part, about the prediction that ORAS are the last Generation VI games and any expansion will be in the form of DLC. The main reason some of us are inclined to think so is that the National Pokédex can already be completed using XY and ORAS alone, which is weird unless Game Freak are ready to move onto the next generation. Besides, Masuda was recently asked about a Kalos third version or sequel, and he replied that they wanted to "tie XY together" in a more unique way. Finally, he was also asked about ORAS not accommodating the New 3DS, and he expressed interest in the system while adding that compatible titles should use the same hardware as XY. This suggests that the New 3DS will be utilized via a new generation, and 2016 is the best time for that.

Last edited:
I dont get why people say that XY plot was bad, i thought it was quite good. It was better than RS plot.
But xy need a third version, just to fix some dialogues like when lysandre wants to give you eternal life, but then, it destroys his HQ. On Z, or whatever, they could catch yveltal to kill everyone else, and xerneas to give them eternal life. Then, we would catch zygard to stop them.Z could have more megas, like mega kalos starters. They could also add some history to bird trio, as well as to mewtwo. They could also make legendary birds stronger, specially articuno, the poor icy thing is FU, an unoficial tier bellow pu,which is bellow NU.They could give it a mega, or just a new ability. An ability that frozens anything that touch it would be cool, it could see some use in OU.

I enjoyed the plot, but Team Flare is one of the weakest teams in the main series. And why have a name like Team Flare if you aren't going to use Fire types? Are you serious?

I enjoyed the plot, but Team Flare is one of the weakest teams in the main series. And why have a name like Team Flare if you aren't going to use Fire types? Are you serious?
The Flare in Team Flare is a pun on flair which means something with style or elegance, it goes with their obsession for fashion. So no, Team Flare is not a Fire type team.

I liked Team Flare. They were different villains; not really so in-your-face with how evil they were, especially the leader.

Honestly I think that if they cutting the generation short I can see a couple things happening:

• The generations will alternate between 3rd versions/sequels and remakes
  • And finnaly, Gen VI is the start of a new metaplot involving Infinity Energy and its effects on a new timeline, And the plotholes involving Zygarde and such were deliberate to tie it to the next generation
  • However for this to work, Gen VII would need to be set in a region near Kalos, which further adds to the new Universe theory (Johto was Kanto's next door neighbor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom