• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just saying I don't believe it's happening, and anyone who seems to think it's inevitable is fooling themselves.
The same could be said for people who still think that a third version or sequel is inevitable after Masuda said they would do something different.

it's really a question of how to make more money after development and time costs are taken into account, and still keep up the standards the company has for itself. I don't know GF's fiscal information, so I can't really make a guess as to whether it's more cost affective for them to go ahead with another game or make a DLC,
It's cost-effective to create a bit of extra content and focus on developing the next generation.

Morningstar said:
Okay EXTEND (which i assume was what you meant with the ports) was was also relased on the PS3 and X360 (and later Steam)
The Vita release was its selling point.

That reminds me, In Gen 3 would completing the National Dex be possible using the Original Ruby and Sapphire in-combination with FireRed and LeafGreen, Gen 4+ mons excluded for obvious reasons?
Not without Colosseum, which only a fraction of GBA players owned. Game Freak deliberately chose not to make all the Generation II Pokémon available between RS and FRLG.

Last edited:
Morningstar said:
That reminds me, In Gen 3 would completing the National Dex be possible using the Original Ruby and Sapphire in-combination with FireRed and LeafGreen, Gen 4+ mons excluded for obvious reasons?
Not without Colosseum, which only a fraction of GBA players owned. Game Freak deliberately chose not to make all the Generation II Pokémon available between RS and FRLG.

I see. what about WITH emerald then?

I see. what about WITH emerald then?
Emerald added the missing critters.

That's what I feared. Still with Colosseum, this actually would be a precedent for GF releasing a rerelease/sequel that is technically not needed to complete the pokedex (though the alternative is more expensive) and in Generation III to boot. This may make the sequels more likely.

That's what I feared. Still with Colosseum, this actually would be a precedent for GF releasing a rerelease/sequel that is technically not needed to complete the pokedex (though the alternative is more expensive) and in Generation III to boot. This may make the sequels more likely.
It's a pretty poor precedent. And considering how the number of Pokémon has nearly doubled, it was far less trivial for ORAS to complement XY than it would have been for FRLG to do so in regard to RS.

Say, has anyone heard about when Game Freak's gonna make the new announcement? We need closure on whether or not they're abandoning Gen. VI.

Say, has anyone heard about when Game Freak's gonna make the new announcement? We need closure on whether or not they're abandoning Gen. VI.

Not yet, do we know when GF first announced X/Y?

We won't know 6th gen is over until the 7th gen games are announced. They don't just come out and say when a generation ends.

They hinted towards it at the end of 2012 with a vague teaser "Pokemon will be evolving in 2013", then they had a Pokemon themed Nintendo Direct in early January where they announced XY at the end.

They hinted towards it at the end of 2012 with a vague teaser "Pokemon will be evolving in 2013", then they had a Pokemon themed Nintendo Direct in early January where they announced XY at the end.

Is this consistent with their previous annoncements (as in is rthere a 10 month gap between the announcement and release?)

Also the date of the annoncement was the 8th so it's lielly that we won't get an annoncement until the Direct closest to the 8th.

Is this consistent with their previous annoncements (as in is rthere a 10 month gap between the announcement and release?)

Also the date of the annoncement was the 8th so it's lielly that we won't get an annoncement until the Direct closest to the 8th.

IDK when previous gens were announced, but probably. It's too soon for a new gen though, I'd give it at least another year.

IDK when previous gens were announced, but probably. It's too soon for a new gen though, I'd give it at least another year.

In that case, what about ORAS or BW2? When were they announced? I think we could have better chance comapring with them than with the "headliners" games

In that case, what about ORAS or BW2? When were they announced? I think we could have better chance comapring with them than with the "headliners" games

BW2 was announced in February 2012 and then released in Japan 4 short months later. ORAS was announced in May of last year and released 6 months later. They weren't announced anywhere near as early as XY, and that's probably intentional. A new generation needs more time to show off new Pokemon and new gameplay mechanics.

<several quotes later>

BW2 was announced in February 2012 and then released in Japan 4 short months later. ORAS was announced in May of last year and released 6 months later. They weren't announced anywhere near as early as XY, and that's probably intentional. A new generation needs more time to show off new Pokemon and new gameplay mechanics.

So basically we shouldn't even expect an announcement this January?

<several quotes later>

If, in theory, there will be a new generation this year, then it's possible. I was saying that it's likely too early for 7th gen.

<several quotes later>

We shouldn't expect a new generation this January. We should be on the lookout for the announcement these following months, yes. For all we know it could be a sequel to that pony game. Or Nintenmon (Nintendogs + Pokémon) lol

For the record, Tetsuya Watanabe wasn't the only Game Freak employee who was interviewed. Ken Sugimori, Gō Ichinose and Masao Taya were also interviewed and they didn't allude to a new release this year. Sugimori said that he is looking forward to Pokkén while Ichinose and Taya both mentioned Solitiba's upcoming smartphone release. This implies that the project Watanabe is working on is pretty small in scale.

If they decide to release Generation VII in February-March 2016 around the 20th anniversary, they'll probably announce it around E3 in June this year.

Last edited:
Chances are whenever Zygarde gets its focus it'll Mega Evolve like how Rayquaza does: without a Mega Stone and instead will need to know Thousand Arrows/Thousand Waves. So we're probably looking at two Zygarde Megas down the line.

I'll guess:

Feb 2015: Hoopa
June 2015: Hoopa form
Feb 2016: Volcanion
May/June 2016: Zygarde Megas

I expect no new game this year, with the Zygarde Megas + Volcanion in the 2016 movie to promote X2/Y2 or ZX/ZY or whatever route they go down with it. So probably an announcement around spring next year if they stick to their fall release.

2016 is too late for a Generation VI release. Masuda has expressed interest in the New 3DS but not as part of this generation, which should mean that the next generation will be released for the New 3DS. By 2017 it will be too late for that.

Chances are whenever Zygarde gets its focus it'll Mega Evolve like how Rayquaza does: without a Mega Stone and instead will need to know Thousand Arrows/Thousand Waves. So we're probably looking at two Zygarde Megas down the line.

I'll guess:

Feb 2015: Hoopa
June 2015: Hoopa form
Feb 2016: Volcanion
May/June 2016: Zygarde Megas

I expect no new game this year, with the Zygarde Megas + Volcanion in the 2016 movie to promote X2/Y2 or ZX/ZY or whatever route they go down with it. So probably an announcement around spring next year if they stick to their fall release.

2016 is too late for a Generation VI release. Masuda has expressed interest in the New 3DS but not as part of this generation, which should mean that the next generation will be released for the New 3DS. By 2017 it will be too late for that.

If that is the case, then I expect a surprise update for both games that will be triggered by distributions for the Eternal Flower Floette, Hoopa and Volcanion. With Floette tying up AZ's Story, and Volcanion and Hoopa tying yp the lore with Zygarde.

And as for why they wouden't do this sooner? It's because they knew that hackers would reveal the info as soon as they revealed the Rare Floette/Vivillon events and the Legendaries. So they just put in the data for them to count towards the pokedex (and to gave Hackers a red herring) and then once the respective events are out, there will be distributions that trigger a forced update that will add new data to the game, a subplot that could be between the ranges of the Looker and Delta episodes and allow themt o tie up loose ends without a new game.

Then after those events are over, all the distributions between hat point and Gen VII will also force a similar update in case the pokemon gets traded over (And There will be events after that, since Meloetta, Mew, Genesect, and Arceus still haven't have gen VI specific distributions)

Gen V remained on the DS for much of the 3DS' lifetime before they made the jump to the system with Gen VI, so it's not impossible that they'll do the same here with the New 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom