• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even more so when you look at it through the casual angle because casuals are going to have a hard time finding Pokemon that aren't shoved in their face. What do you think the smartphone generation is going to do against Sabrina when the dex is lacking in options to defeat Psychic types?
They'll do what I did as a seven-year-old and overtrain their starter, then smash through with sheer power. It's not that difficult, you know.

Smartphone gamers are probably less likely to seek out a variety of Pokemon anyways. That would mean memorizing things like type matchups. Simpler to just power through, if you ask me.

I have no idea why no one in the community seems to have noticed how the official website all but completely rules out a main series until September:

2016 Pokémon Video Game Championship Series

Pokémon video game players will be able to compete in more events than ever as the series expands to new cities and countries around the world. Championship Series events will use Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.

VGC 2016 wouldn't be based on ORAS if a new game were slated to be released by August. VGC 2012 wasn't based on B2W2 since those games were only released in October outside Japan.

They can always surprise us, but still, what you pointed out makes too much sense...

I have no idea why no one in the community seems to have noticed how the official website all but completely rules out a main series until September:

2016 Pokémon Video Game Championship Series

Pokémon video game players will be able to compete in more events than ever as the series expands to new cities and countries around the world. Championship Series events will use Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire.

VGC 2016 wouldn't be based on ORAS if a new game were slated to be released by August. VGC 2012 wasn't based on B2W2 since those games were only released in October outside Japan.
couldn't this simply be attributed to the fact that TPCi (and co) wouldn't say that you need an unreleased game for VGC 2016?

couldn't this simply be attributed to the fact that TPCi (and co) wouldn't say that you need an unreleased game for VGC 2016?
That doesn't excuse saying that ORAS will be used. They could have just said that they would be used until the end of 2015 (like XY last year), but the wording is unambiguous about ORAS players being eligible to enter the eventual championships. There is no reason to mislead people (who may not even be interested in a new game) that they meet the criteria.

That doesn't excuse saying that ORAS will be used. They could have just said that they would be used until the end of 2015 (like XY last year), but the wording is unambiguous about ORAS players being eligible to enter the eventual championships. There is no reason to mislead people (who may not even be interested in a new game) that they meet the criteria.
wasn't ORAS already revealed by then though? regardless, TPCi isn't bound to any agreement. they can ORAS will be used and then tomorrow they could say Pokemon Black is used. is it a little scummy? yeah, but they don't have to keep their word, especially since the replacement game hasn't even been announced.

wasn't ORAS already revealed by then though?
That isn't my point. I'm saying that they could have been specific about ORAS being used for the rest of 2015 without saying anything else. It wouldn't have spoiled anything.

is it a little scummy? yeah, but they don't have to keep their word, especially since the replacement game hasn't even been announced.
That's a poor explanation if I ever saw one. They didn't have to create this scenario in the first place.

But if you look on both the US and International Outlines, there is a footnote for the last two events that says "Additional information about the National and World Championships will be available at a later date." So to me, that tells me that whatever games they plan on using for Worlds of next year isn't quite set in stone just yet.

I do think, however, that waiting 2 years for a new games is a bit too long. Yes, they could be taking longer to build up more hype, however, 2 years is too much for a company that has become annual.

But if you look on both the US and International Outlines, there is a footnote for the last two events that says "Additional information about the National and World Championships will be available at a later date." So to me, that tells me that whatever games they plan on using for Worlds of next year isn't quite set in stone just yet.

This was my initial thought as well, but the next games are almost guaranteed to introduce new mega evolutions (and potentially new moves) in them. It would create a compatibility issue unless OR/AS received a patch, which Game Freak refused to do for X/Y, so who knows.

I do think, however, that waiting 2 years for a new games is a bit too long. Yes, they could be taking longer to build up more hype, however, 2 years is too much for a company that has become annual.

I've been thinking this a lot. But...the recent Spinoffs, plus Go, even though spinoffs are produced outside of GF, could be why the main games have had a larger break in between them than normal. If Go turns out to be a big success for them then main games may slow down a bit so Go can be expanded upon/improved.

Last edited:
The same footnote appears for the TCG, and more importantly, they did the same thing a year ago even though it was already confirmed that ORAS would be used. It means nothing.

That isn't my point. I'm saying that they could have been specific about ORAS being used for the rest of 2015 without saying anything else. It wouldn't have spoiled anything.
so then you pulling the quote from the site is irrelevant. if saying ORAS will be used until the end of 2015-- which really does heavily imply a new game or new something in 2016-- wouldn't be indicative of anything, then neither is saying that ORAS will be used for VGC 2016.

That's a poor explanation if I ever saw one. They didn't have to create this scenario in the first place.
c'est la vie. i'm not trying to say TPCi (et al) are justified, i'm just saying that they don't have to, for lack of a better word, play fair. but yeah, they should've just announced it right now and then we can wait until who knows when in 2016 for it to be released. probably a better idea, has the same net outcome though.

so then you pulling the quote from the site is irrelevant. if saying ORAS will be used until the end of 2015-- which really does heavily imply a new game or new something in 2016-- wouldn't be indicative of anything, then neither is saying that ORAS will be used for VGC 2016.
There will be a new format regardless of a new game. Saying that the change will only be applied next year wouldn't have implied much.

Besides, implying that a new game may be on the horizon would make more sense than creating a false impression that it isn't. Most of you are acting as if the anime promotion has already sealed the deal.

I still think that a release around the time of the 20th Anniversary or shortly after in the spring/summer season shouldn't be ruled out because of events that are still in the planning stages. It's not the organizers of those tournaments who determine what games are released and when, it's all Game Freak's ballgame on that one.

It's not the organizers of those tournaments who determine what games are released and when, it's all Game Freak's ballgame on that one.
The oragnizers are fully aware of what will happen next year as far as the VGC is concerned.

That can apply to the other side of the argument as well; if the new game is to come out before Fall 2016, they may actually know about it. But, they won't list it on their website right this minute as one of the participating games until Game Freak decides when to make the official announcement. I think Game Freak would be a little ticked if they listed "Pokémon Z" as a participating game before they could give that game a proper reveal.

And please don't say those footnotes "mean nothing". They put those there to let everybody know that anything about those events can change due to any circumstances that could warrant those changes.

It's not the organizers of those tournaments who determine what games are released and when, it's all Game Freak's ballgame on that one.
The oragnizers are fully aware of what will happen next year as far as the VGC is concerned.

That can apply to the other side of the argument as well; if the new game is to come out before Fall 2016, they may actually know about it. But, they won't list it on their website right this minute as one of the participating games until Game Freak decides when to make the official announcement. I think Game Freak would be a little ticked if they listed "Pokémon Z" as a participating game before they could give that game a proper reveal.

And please don't say those footnotes "mean nothing". They put those there to let everybody know that anything about those events can change due to any circumstances that could warrant those changes.

For people who don't know VGC, last years format was the entire 720-Main Legendary's and Mythic's, considering the last trends, where no new Pokemon introduced in mid generation, and because we know that it is the same rules are being used this year, there will be no problems if a new game comes out, even later in the year (unless there are new megas, but we where able to deal with it last year).

For the upteempth time, the point of contention is that they didn't have to say that ORAS will be used next year unless it's true.

There is more to these competitions than which games are involved, so no, they aren't implying that the confirmed details could be changed.

superbobbobbob3 said:
there will be no problems if a new game comes out, even later in the year (unless there are new megas, but we where able to deal with it last year).
Why wouldn't there be new Mega Evolutions in a new game? They dealt with the new ORAS content by disqualifying XY players from VGC 2015 and now VGC 2016. The fact that ORAS will still be used next year makes it incredibly problematic for a new game to be released by August. Mind you, VGC has always forced the latest games to be used regardless of compatibility issues.

Thinking of making a book with all the predictions in this thread that turned out to be wrong once whatever is coming next is announced and fully released.

Personally I think it's a good move. The more annual the franchise the more it'll be hurt it plus with a longer wait comes much more hype and anticipation.

@Silktree Correct me if I'm wrong, but your original post concerning the matter of the Worlds website was that you tried saying it was somehow an indication that "Z/whatever" will not be released until after August of next year. What I'm trying to say is that it's not definitive proof that will be the case. Like you said, it's possible that they already know what the next game is and when it's released, but I think for the time being they may be holding off on listing "Z" along with ORAS until Game Freak makes the official announcement. ORAS is for sure the games they'll use, but they have a whole 10 months to go if they want to list anymore participating games on top of what's already listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom