• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A yearly release is fine and not rushed at all when it's remakes or sequels what we are talking about, as those games take less time to develop.

The yearly pattern shouldn't affect the quality of games and the amount of content, if we are talking about non original games (HGSS, ORAS, Platinum, etc). So people should stop saying that LOL. Especially since GF's staff has more than doubled since the days of DP... They can make games faster now.

The yearly break they took in 2015 is probably to increase our hype for the 20th Anniversary. Not for a longer development period.

Last edited:
A yearly release should be fine and not rushed at all when it's remakes or sequels what we are talking about, as those games take less time to develop.

The yearly pattern shouldn't affect the quality of games and the amount of content, if we are talking about non original games. So people should stop saying that LOL. Especially since GF's staff has more than doubled since the days of DP... They can make games faster now.

The yearly break they took in 2015 is probably to increase our hype for the 20th Anniversary. Not for a longer development period.

That makes sense. I am hoping for a summer release myself. BW 2 were out by early summer after all. Maybe a Direct is happening soon.

still nothing new, well thats good I guess since alot of people were complaining that a release each year makes the games rushed. Now watch as Z comes out feeling just as rushed and with no post game.
They wouldn't dare do such a thing on the 20th anniversary. If they really wanted to rush out the next game it would've been out last year. The fact that they're slowly building up hype and being keen proves the next installment is being worked on properly.

Hey everyone, I am back and I hope everyone has had an excellent Christmas and New Years day.

I remain confident that we are getting another Kalos game as the final gen 6 game. We have Volcanion officially released last month, that leaves more info on the movie and the possible gen 6 game. I remember ORAS being announced in May, so I reckon a game announcement would come between January to May but it is another guess. Yes, it is a long wait for a game announcement but that doesn't mean we are done with gen 6.

A yearly release is fine and not rushed at all when it's remakes or sequels what we are talking about, as those games take less time to develop.

The yearly pattern shouldn't affect the quality of games and the amount of content, if we are talking about non original games (HGSS, ORAS, Platinum, etc). So people should stop saying that LOL. Especially since GF's staff has more than doubled since the days of DP... They can make games faster now.

A yearly release is horrible, look at how spoiled we've gotten. We expect an announcement at every Pokémon event *cough*World's*cough* and complain when we don't get it, despite how good (or bad) said event was (I mean, has everyone completely forgotten TERRORISTS were arrested just outside of Boston with the intent to shoot up World's? That's both horrifying because of what might've happened and amazing because it was stopped.). We rip each other to shreds over light speculation. We are all acting like junkies in withdrawal, it's embarrassing.

And yes, while the technological part of the development may be so advanced that a yearly release is feasible, that does not mean that a yearly release is adequate for the CREATIVE process. Deadlines stifle creativity, and so a yearly release would make creative, fresh ideas incredibly hard to create. Thankfully, GameFreak seems to have a back catalogue of ideas that they can refine (Munna being foreshadowed in Generation 1, Tirtouga being a Generation 2 reject, Shellos being a Generation 3 reject, Leaf being brought back and re-designed for Generation 3, etc.), but alpha versions of Pokémon and unused features from past games can only last so long.

A yearly release is horrible, look at how spoiled we've gotten. We expect an announcement at every Pokémon event *cough*World's*cough* and complain when we don't get it, despite how good (or bad) said event was (I mean, has everyone completely forgotten TERRORISTS were arrested just outside of Boston with the intent to shoot up World's? That's both horrifying because of what might've happened and amazing because it was stopped.). We rip each other to shreds over light speculation. We are all acting like junkies in withdrawal, it's embarrassing.

And yes, while the technological part of the development may be so advanced that a yearly release is feasible, that does not mean that a yearly release is adequate for the CREATIVE process. Deadlines stifle creativity, and so a yearly release would make creative, fresh ideas incredibly hard to create. Thankfully, GameFreak seems to have a back catalogue of ideas that they can refine (Munna being foreshadowed in Generation 1, Tirtouga being a Generation 2 reject, Shellos being a Generation 3 reject, Leaf being brought back and re-designed for Generation 3, etc.), but alpha versions of Pokémon and unused features from past games can only last so long.
I agree about yearly releases spoiling us xD I meant they are fine from a development point of view.

And about the differentiation you made between the technological process and the creative process, you made a very good point, but there is an important detail: I was talking about how one year is fine for non original games (remakes, sequels, third version games) only. I think one year is enough for their creative process, especially for a remake like ORAS, HGSS, or a third version like Platinum for example. They don't requiere much creative process, really. While original pairs do require a lot more creation process and that's why they take much longer to make (RS, DP, BW, etc).

And sequels are somewhere in the middle, but I could agree with you, cause B2W2 did need a brand new plot, so that takes extra time.

PD Also, at least for ORAS, I read an interview in which Ohmori said the ORAS project started for him a year earlier, in 2012, when he started to imagine ways to improve the games with new features. So the crestivity process was two years, twice as much as the production process.

Last edited:
I love how people keep assuming the complaints about no game announcement are because they're spoiled from yearly releases and not the fact that they've been dangling Zygarde forms and Ash Greninja for 5 months now.
This. This. Thisthithisthisthis. THIS. There is no reason to have the formes of Zygarde revealed so long withiut a game announcement, unless there is some other secret to the games. At this point there has to be, I mean it. Not even Giratina-O was that far away from the Platinum reveal, which came right on time.

I love how people keep assuming the complaints about no game announcement are because they're spoiled from yearly releases and not the fact that they've been dangling Zygarde forms and Ash Greninja for 5 months now.

This pretty much. It's annoying how they're showing off these five or six "new Pokemon" and they haven't even announced a game while they're in the anime, TCG, two spin-offs, or have official merchandise such as toys or whatever else. I kind of hope they don't introduce another "new Pokemon" for the movie such as a Mega Evolution or whatever else without a game announce still, but considering what they're doing right now, they probably will. It's all just fishy IMO.

This. This. Thisthithisthisthis. THIS. There is no reason to have the formes of Zygarde revealed so long withiut a game announcement, unless there is some other secret to the games. At this point there has to be, I mean it. Not even Giratina-O was that far away from the Platinum reveal, which came right on time.

This pretty much. It's annoying how they're showing off these five or six "new Pokemon" and they haven't even announced a game while they're in the anime, TCG, two spin-offs, or have official merchandise such as toys or whatever else. I kind of hope they don't introduce another "new Pokemon" for the movie such as a Mega Evolution or whatever else without a game announce still, but considering what they're doing right now, they probably will. It's all just fishy IMO.

Actually, I was basing it off the fact that people were already expecting a game announcement before even Zygarde's forms being confirmed. But thank you for assuming that I was assuming. ^_^ And btw, Ash-Greninja has only been around less than three months, not five.

Actually, I was basing it off the fact that people were already expecting a game announcement before even Zygarde's forms being confirmed. But thank you for assuming that I was assuming. ^_^ And btw, Ash-Greninja has only been around less than three months, not five.

Well there's always someone demanding a new game, but back then it was just a minority whereas now it's a larger chunk of the fanbase.

Well there's always someone demanding a new game, but back then it was just a minority whereas now it's a larger chunk of the fanbase.

Well, then my comments don't apply to those, now do they? You're assuming that I'm generalizing. I didn't generalize, but I also didn't specify. In any case, yes they are taunting us and yes it's getting annoying. Doesn't change the fact that some of this fanbase is completely spoiled, entitled and obsessed with instant gratification, and part of that is because of the yearly releases.

While I don't agree with calling out certain members if the community and I feel that everyone is entitled to their opinion, yes some people don't realize that this is the norm for Pokemon, it would have been insane to have a game this year as well, a wait till 2017 for Gen 7 after 3 annual releases in the time period of two years would have been overkill. However, a majority of us want a game reveal, because as time passes without one, its obvious something else is coming.
I'm not saying its gen 6.5 or gen 7,but its definitely not going to be a simple gen 6 3rd version or sequel. Zygarde Perfect will get focus yes, but probably not to the extent we assume. And with the Anime taking its time with the plot, its obvious that its debut will be off the table for a while. Now if that is to time it with the game reveal, or with a reveal that its not the final forme, who knows. But Zygarde Perfect is starting to look like a red herring, and the cores having something more is looking more likely. I mean, Core Red is missing, and now Core Blue will apparently get focus in the upcoming months. Who knows how long that will be, how long it will take for Squishy to pop up again, and god knows how long till both are united again. It feels like there is a waiting game going on, till the games prerelease period clears up the nature of the cores and their powers, and how Zygarde Perfect is actually achieved.
For me, I do believe that means a reveal in February with Zygarde Perfect focus in March, lining up with its supposed debut in the Anime. That's another thing, apparently Zygarde Perfect has a debut in March, or so its belived. Yet the Anime isn't hyping anything of that sort at all, and with the leisurely pace of the story, along with how the TF vs TR plot is being advertised, it looks to me like it would be awfully rushed at this point. Too many pieces are missing I think, and the only way anything can or will make sense is if the games start getting advertised and have actual concrete info regarding the cores. I cannot stress that point enough.

Can I get an amen for people to be less passive aggressive and be dignified in their responses. I don't think the place we are in now, (having new forms revealed), leads us to think anymore that there will be a "Gen 6.5", don't get me wrong, I'd like that, but once Gen 7 does come, it will take the shine away from it if we get new Pokémon in the last instalment of Gen 6.

I definitely think there will be a bigger part to the story of the 3rd instalment than Zygarde, especially at this point. Am I wrong to think people sometimes expect too much post-game content? Not saying Gen 6 so far has been a shining star in that department, but how long are you expecting to keep interested and playing post-game content for? That's gonna be tough for GF tbh, because everyone has a different perspective on how they see a "good, fleshed-out post game", it could be 3 days long (hours wise), and people would still say it lacks content.

If you could compare the amount of post-game content you want for the 3rd instalment to an already existing game, what would it be? and how long do you roughly want to be playing it for once you've defeated the league?

Doesn't change the fact that some of this fanbase is completely spoiled, entitled and obsessed with instant gratification, and part of that is because of the yearly releases.
This. Come on people, be patient already, they'll announce the next main series game when they're ready. And like i said earlier, munchlax was revealed in 2004, yet dianmond and pearl weren't even released until 2006. People act like it's the first time they're making us wait!

This. Come on people, be patient already, they'll announce the next main series game when they're ready. And like i said earlier, munchlax was revealed in 2004, yet dianmond and pearl weren't even released until 2006. People act like it's the first time they're making us wait!
Unless the Munchlax reveal made you expect a game called "Pokemon Munch Version", it's not the same.

It's Zygarde's importante of a legendary Pokemon what's making us more impatient really. All those formes for a legendary Pokemon is unprecedented, but not knowing a thing about them main game wise is very odd.

Last edited:
I want Pokemon to last me for an indefinite time outside of the online portion for the post league, or at least have something that gets me back every once and a while. So far we've had:
FRLG: The Sevii Islands. A fun postleague area offering a miniplot, some Pokemon to catch, and some cool minigames, if you actively looked for em.
Platinum- The first game that has a post league story. Diamond had something of that sort with Darkrai and Cresselia, but was much shorter and locked behind an event exclusive item. Travelling the Survival Area and leading up to the Stark Mountain climax was fun.
Along with that, we had Gym Rematches return, and the Battle Frontier. It was substantial, to say the least. You also had the contents, which I usually leave for the postleague, and a nice little house to buy furniture for.
HGSS- Well there's Kanto, but lets be honest does it count? Never been done again, and its argued that its not really beneficial to the game in the long run, which I agree. So what was added? The Pokeathlon, which was the biggest timesink yet. You also had the new Safari Zone, which as time went by got better. So you kept going back. And you could travel the region a bit, and hunt down the leaders for some lore. A pattern is starting to build methinks.
Black/White- Here's where things get interesting. 6 Routes and 3 cities are opened up, and some neat places to explore. You alsl hunt for the Sages, but its nothing special. We'll come back to how barebones it is or not in a while, when talking about XY.
B2W2- Whew.This one is a doozy. The golden standard I think, and at the least half of what we got here should be the minimum at the least for the first installments each gen. So where do we start? Half of the region is unlocked, with new and old areas mixed together to explore. New movies at the Pokestar Studios, The Pokemon World Tournament is properly available, Join Avenue unt the servers got shut down, a 10 floor battle gauntlet, and the hunt for Kyurem. The stuff these games offered kepte going for weeks.
Then we have this gen. Simce the discussion is on a Kalos retread, I wont't go into ORAS, but I do have to say that despite the lack of the frontier, it was substantial, offering the most enjoyable kitchen sink approach to stuffing the region with legendaries, the Delta Episode was engrossing, and I liked going through the contests again. Only issue it has is the lack of post league exploration, but that is an issue with the region, not the games, much like with Kalos.
So yeah XY. The only thing there is the looker episode. Battle Maison is some bare minimum content, and its personally not something to count. What is missing, and what should be added in the sequels for the gamed to be fun is two things:
Postleague areas to explore, and no, dungeons to catch legendaries does not count. Not when its been escalating over the last three gens from a couple of routes and towns to almost half a region. I want South Kalos for that reason. Both cause a sequel dhluld expand the region, but also to offer some mistique and have somewhere new to explore after the league.
Then there is nothing rewarding, no subquest or timesink to go back to. B2W2 and ORAS excel in this. Between Pokestar Studios, finding new Hidden Grottoes and expanding my Join Avenue, I was satisfied. Between contests, Mirage Spots, and secret bases I was also satisfied. I want to have something to just lounge about with, to pass my time whe also experimenting with new strategies on the side for the online portion.
That's all I want really, a continuation of the escalation and evolution of the post league all these generations.
-South Kalos as a postleague area beside the place you start in. The power plants opening up, and all those empty caves to have a purpose.
-A proper sidequest like contents, the Pokeathlon, Pokestar Studios, and hell even the musicals were fun. They managed to make movies into a minigame, so you know what? Give me PokeChef Masters. I would be over the moon for a cooking sidequest. Instead of being the battling trainer over dinner in the restaraunts of Lumiose, have us be an aspiring cook. From the small time Le Nah to the glitzy elite Sushi High Roller, you hone your skills along with your Pokemon to make the best dishes. This also allows you access to the gym rematches, as the chef of Sushi High Roller you answer battle requests from the regions elite, and even from others.
-The only consistent so far is the postleague story, and I expect no less.
-As its the 20th I expect oodles of callbacks and small details that GF never skimps on, but the 20th will likely bring out more then ever.

Unless the Munchlax reveal made you expect a game called "Pokemon Munch Version", it's not the same.
Um, the point was that they "dangled the carrot" with us with munchlax and we had to wait two years until it was released, the same with zygarde now.
It's Zygarde's importante of a legendary Pokemon what's making us more impatient really. All those formes for a legendary Pokemon is unprecedented, amd not knowing a thing about them main game wise is very odd.
We already know it's connected to xerneas and yveltal somehow, we just need to know his exact role and we're good.

Last edited:
Technically, munchlax was supposed to be a one year carrot dangle, but GF made a gross miscalculation of when DP was gonna be ready for the market. And not to mention the GBA was supppsed to be the main handheld for a much longer time, I wouldn't be surprised if Gen 4 was once meant for the GBA. But yeah, Munchlax is not a good example, it was a big mess what happened there, and they are not gonna make a mistake like that again. Things have been handled much more smoothly since then.

Technically, munchlax was supposed to be a one year carrot dangle, but GF made a gross miscalculation of when DP was gonna be ready for the market. And not to mention the GBA was supppsed to be the main handheld for a much longer time, I wouldn't be surprised if Gen 4 was once meant for the GBA. But yeah, Munchlax is not a good example, it was a big mess what happened there, and they are not gonna make a mistake like that again. Things have been handled much more smoothly since then.
Whether or not it they handled things more "smoothly" since then is not the point. The point is, it's not the first time thay're making us wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom