• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kalos certainly didn't feel small and boring to me. If anything, it felt bigger than Unova. And all four seasons were spread out throughout the region in certain places. The only gripe I have is that the routes felt too linear. If we get sequels, I think what they should do is completely revamp the Kalos map. Give us completely different routes through Kalos, but yet keep the very VERY few existing routes. How would you explain all the major changes? *drum roll* That's where the plot for Zygarde comes in. The reason for the drastic changes in the routes is due to an ongoing ecological disaster, and in order to avoid people from being harmed, they have to completely re-route everything for travelers.

Also, what do any of you think the plot would be about if we get sequels instead of a 3rd version? Lysandre pretty much dies/gets buried alive in X/Y, and there doesn't seem to be any members left for them to pull a Team Plasma(well except Malva, but in the post-game story she doesn't seem to have any interests in reviving Team Flare).

I actually wrote the comment below first, and as I mentioned down there, Lysandre is very possibly still alive. I think after the player thwarted him and released the XY legendaries (iirc no legendary canonically stays with the player except the Unova Dragons), he became obsessed with revenge. It's implied that Malva traded immunity to Looker for information on Xerosic, as she's still an E4 and the Holocaster announcer after Xerosic is arrested. And the four female scientists disappear, so they could be in hiding.

All in all, I could see a sequel set a year or two later where your Player Character from X/Y is now the Champion and is investigating goings on in a distant region (hinting at the Strange Souvenir region of Gen. 7) and two more player characters are introduced from Vaniville Town. Then from there, the storyline is similar to Pokémon Adventures. Lysandre gets the XY legends to tear Vaniville to shreds, and you are rescued by Shauna, Tierno and Trevor. They give you a Pokémon and ask if you've heard of the Champion and which Pokémon they started with (this would be a way to select if your X/Y PC is Calem or Serena, and what their starter was) and then direct you to head to Lumiose to meet with the E4 Member Serena/Calem (who replaces Malva as a Dark-type E4, using Absol and their starter) at Professor Sycamore's. There you meet Professors Sina and Dexio and are interviewed by Lieutenant Emma of the Lumiose Police.

All throughout the game, the XY legends keep attacking the places your X/Y PC held dear: Vaniville (Hometown), Aquacorde (Starter + Meeting Friends), Parfum Palace (Fireworks), Geosenge (Lysandre's defeat), Santalune (First Gym Battle) and eventually the Pokémon League, which is revealed to be connected undeground to Terminus Cave, resulting in a storyline climax at the Pokémon League after defeating Serena/Calem (the final E4 member), akin to N's Palace in Black and White.

All through this, people close to the Champion begin getting abducted: Grace, Shauna, Tierno, Trevor, Sina, Dexio, Prof. Sycamore, Diantha (now the Gym Leader in a brand new town Southeast of Camphrier, replacing Viola who now works for Lumiose Press with Alexa, and Diantha now specializes in Ghost-types like Gourgeist), and Emma.

Eventually, you go into Terminus Cave with Serena/Calem to face Zygarde, who is accused of all these atrocities across the region, but it is revealed to actually be a now immortal Lysandre, backed by Malva and the 4 Scientists along with the X/Y legends. As Malva and Serena/Calem face off, you're left to face the 4 scientists as Lysandre rushes to capture Zygarde, but at that very moment, Calem/Serena (the Champion AKA your X/Y PC) shows up with Shauna, Tierno and Trevor to face off against the scientists and allow you to face Lysandre alone. Before doing so, the Champion (who has cut short their expedition into Gen. 7's region) apologizes, thinking all this destruction to be their fault and explains that everyone was being held in Lysandre Café (previously locked up in Lumiose and referred to as an abandoned slum).

You catch Zygarde, who removes Lysandre's immortality and defeats the X/Y legends with its special moves and somehow leaves Lysandre a new man, taking away his evil. Lysandre is then arrested by Emma.

And unlike Black and White, where you had to wait post-game to challenge the league, you are given a chance to organize your team and face Champion Calem/Serena directly after. In my personal case, I played X as Calem with a Delphox. So I would face the Dark-type Serena while she's using a Mega Absol and Greninja, two dark types. And then I would face off against Calem using a Mega Delphox (the Champion's ace would be their now Mega Starter).

And throughout key points in the game, the new PC would be asked about the Champion, and be prompted to pick Pokémon they'd think the Champion would use. In this, you effectively create the Champion's team. I would be faithful to my in-game team from X and have Champion Calem have Mega Delphox, Talonflame, Butterfree, Blastoise, Florges and Aegislash.

Then in the post-game, you would have three post-game adventures. One would be going back to Vaniville and meeting the opposite gendered PC. Let's call them... Xavier and Yvonne like the XY promo materials LOL if you played as Xavier, you would meet Yvonne and vice-versa. You would both rebuild all the destroyed towns together and it would be a little romance sub-plot like the Shauna one (I think someone from GF confirmed that Shauna was supposed to come off as if she was interested in the player regardless of what gender they were playing as? I just took it as her being overly affectionate. LOL)

The second post-game adventure would involve AZ. You'd bump into him in the ruins of Geosenge Town with his Floette, gazing at the crater left behind by the Ultimate Weapon in X/Y. You would set out to learn more about his past in order to help him move on and finally deal with everything he has done (this would help remedy complaints that he never got redemption, which he easily could have... off-screen).

The third post-game would involve Emma. We'd help her discover her origins with help from Champion "Looker" and Xerosic, who would be released from prison around that time. It would eventually be revealed that when Xerosic went to work for Lysandre years ago, his wife grew sick and couldn't care for young Emma anymore. She passed, and a traumatized Emma repressed the memories and lived on the streets for ten years before the events of X/Y. Recognizing her, Xerosic employed her but never revealed the truth, allowing her to be Looker's "daughter". After apologizing in a very heartfelt manner, he would become Emma's deputy. At this point, Mimi would also have evolved into Meowstic and be Emma's ace (and ironically be a MALE Meowstic instead of a female one LOL).

And then Kiloude City would still have the Maison and Friend Safari LOL

The gym roster would be the same, minus Viola being switched for Diantha. The E4 roster would also remain the same, but Serena would replace Malva as mentioned above. The E4 would be set in a fixed order, that being Siebold, Wikstrom, Drasna, Serena/Calem, and then Champion Calem/Serena. The Gym Leader order would also be switched around. Since Aquacorde and now Santalune would be gymless, Lumiose would be the first Gym and therefore Clemont would be leveled down significantly, still using the Helioptile family. Second would be Ramos, Korrina would still be third, Grant would be fourth, Diantha in her hometown Southeast of Camphrier would be 5th, then Valerie, Olympia and Wulfric would retain their positions.

Honestly I want Lysandre to just be dead. Pokemon isn't generally a game that takes huge plot risks and when they actually "kill" a character it makes the series more valid....at least to me. lol Idk it makes it more exciting to me I guess. I'm not a huge fan of stories where everything is alright at the end and everyone including the villain are happy. It's dumb to just let the person that tried to kill everyone in a country go and just say" Hey now don't do that again mister!" He's better off being dead and if it is a sequel let someone new take up the mantle of villain.

The villains don't always end up well, y'know. Cyrus is trapped in the Distortion World, while Ghetsis descended into literal insanity. And there's that pesky fan theory of Giovanni's suicide during HG/SS's Celebi event. Ironically, those are the only three unsympathetic villains.

The sympathetic villains like N, Archie, Maxie and Lysandre seem to have happy endings. N travels the world and is seen as a hero alongside his dragon, Archie and Maxie decide to team up to better the world, and Lysandre is the only one with his fate left untold.

But considering you, Shauna and Serena/Calem were RIGHT next to him when the Ultimate Weapon was fired, and all three of you escaped, safe to assume Lysandre did as well. He probably just escaped you before you could catch him. Not to mention, he's implied to be cursed with immortality like AZ was, as AZ implies that to be the price one pays for using the Weapon.

Last edited:
The villains don't always end up well, y'know. Cyrus is trapped in the Distortion World

I think he chose to stay there. He stated very firmly that he intended to unlock its secrets and wasn't at all worried about being "trapped" there, and we know that there is a portal in an out of the Distortion World at the Sendoff Spring. So I think Cyrus made off pretty well, actually.

The sympathetic villains like N, Archie, Maxie and Lysandre seem to have happy endings.

Sympathetic Villain and Lysandre do not go together in a sentence imo. He wasn't a sympathetic villain at all.

Whre I say region size, I do not mean its density. I agree that Kalos is hollow, I said that in the same post I said that its big. I meant by surface area, which is imesurable to be sure, but identifiable through playing the games. Gen 6 Hoenn is the only old region that can be directly comparable to Kalos, and that is my measuring stick. With this, I still think Kalos's surface area in comparison is bigger. I think if Soaring cimes to Kalos, the meaning of my words will be fully understood, Kalos from the sky will likely be enormous.

What I want with Kalos is for a small section south of Kalos that is sectioned off for the post gam available only through soaring. Make it have 2 gym cities lets say, and then an event leads you to the main region which has been updated. Instead of the league being situated in North Kalos however, you beat the game when dealing with the threat. The league is then accessible when you soar with the Lati of choice to the new mount top victory road. Along with this, the new starting town and routes to the two new gym cities, there are another bunch akin to the size of the Battle Zone in Sinnoh. If that ia tok much, in general I think a soar only area afyer the league would be cool. Maybe a mountain Valley after soaring over the alps?

Last edited:
The sympathetic villains like N, Archie, Maxie and Lysandre seem to have happy endings.

Sympathetic Villain and Lysandre do not go together in a sentence imo. He wasn't a sympathetic villain at all.

Yeah, he's more of a Well-Intentioned Extremist. Actually, the only ones thus far who do NOT fall under that category are Giovanni, Cyrus(well kinda-sorta, he claims he's erasing emotions to save everybody from pain, but then reveals he's doing it all for himself), and Ghetsis-bastard.

Whre I say region size, I do not mean its density. I agree that Kalos is hollow, I said that in the same post I said that its big. I meant by surface area, which is imesurable to be sure, but identifiable through playing the games. Gen 6 Hoenn is the only old region that can be directly comparable to Kalos, and that is my measuring stick. With this, I still think Kalos's surface area in comparison is bigger. I think if Soaring cimes to Kalos, the meaning of my words will be fully understood, Kalos from the sky will likely be enormous.

Unfortunately though, the surface area size that we see on our maps doesn't matter simply because we can't explore those areas that are not covered by the routes. If you have routes that are pretty straightforward and don't have numerous explorable locations within like Hoenn and Sinnoh, it makes it even worse.

While I'm thinking about if more, I'll have to recant my earlier statement because Kalos actually does seem pretty small. Again, the problem there is because the routes are both very linear and have lack of explorable spots within them. Although, I've often wondered if Game Freak did that because of how massive Lumoise City is. They may have been too afraid to push the envelope with Lumoise's massive size, on top of everything else that's crammed in those games. Maybe now that they have a good idea of what's what and how much memory 'n whatnot it takes, perhaps they can make use of what the New 3DS has to offer and make massive improvements on the region's design if we ever get sequels/a 3rd version to X/Y.

What I want with Kalos is for a small section south of Kalos that is sectioned off for the post gam available only through soaring. Make it have 2 gym cities lets say, and then an event leads you to the main region which has been updated. Instead of the league being situated in North Kalos however, you beat the game when dealing with the threat. The league is then accessible when you soar with the Lati of choice to the new mount top victory road. Along with this, the new starting town and routes to the two new gym cities, there are another bunch akin to the size of the Battle Zone in Sinnoh. If that ia tok much, in general I think a soar only area afyer the league would be cool. Maybe a mountain Valley after soaring over the alps?

I think you overestimate Kalos, or underestimate Hoenn´s size. But i´m not saying who´s right or wrong...

By the way, just like customisation is meant to be Kalos- exclusive, cause the theme of Kalos is style, Soaring is most likely Hoenn exclusive, cause Hoenn´s theme is "explore nature".

All those great features could be included in every game, but I think they don´t want to include them at thesame time, and rather prefer "region exclusive" features.

Last edited:
What's stopping them? Masuda saying that they didn't even want to make ORAS n3DS-enhanced due to their compatibility with XY. You're blowing the Mega Evolutions out of proportion; at their core, they're akin to the Formes we got in previous generations. You'd have a point if Game Freak showed interest in updating XY, but that isn't the case. If Masuda is interested in the New 3DS, as he said he was, that is reason enough to create a new generation.

You've also gone on record as saying that they should release Generation VII for the NX in 2017. You obviously don't expect/want them to add new Pokémon next year.

Dex expansions, more new areas,
None of this happened in ORAS, so excuse me if I don't expect Kanto remakes to fare better.

I obviously support Kanto sequels, but I don't see why they would happen in this generation with XY and ORAS covering all the non-Mythical Pokémon, and sequels would simply be more interesting if they utilized the New 3DS as part of a new generation with a new engine and updated mechanics.

Correction. Hoenn did have a Dex expansion, hello? Did you forget about Gallade, Roserade, and all the other Sinnoh evolutions? On top of that, after just catching Groudon or Kyogre, you can find a bunch of natdex Pokemon before the Pokemon league.

Correction. Hoenn did have a Dex expansion, hello? Did you forget about Gallade, Roserade, and all the other Sinnoh evolutions?

An expansion of nine Pokémon isn't really anything to write home about.

He wanted to help the world be better. He wanted to make sure everyone had equal access to resources and beauty and life. But he was disappointed time and again by the bitterness of man, and even shed a tear when faced with the realization that he would inevitably wipe out all Pokémon with his plan. That to me makes him the most sympathetic out of all the villains, especially since neither Archie or Maxie cried in OR/AS, despite regretting what they had done.

If there are Kalos sequels, maybe they will use the rest of France. Perhaps a French Riviera based town/city.

If there are Kalos sequels, maybe they will use the rest of France. Perhaps a French Riviera based town/city.
South Kalos is the most tangible hint for the next games for me, more then the strange souvenir region. You cannot tell me Kiloude in the middle of a mountain range is all that consists of the laid back south kalosian culture, when you have the enter mediterranean France that wasn't used. Cannes is also a great way to reintroduce Pokestar Studios its not funny.

I think you overestimate Kalos, or underestimate Hoenn´s size. But i´m not saying who´s right or wrong...

By the way, just like customisation is meant to be Kalos- exclusive, cause the theme of Kalos is style, Soaring is most likely Hoenn exclusive, cause Hoenn´s theme is "explore nature".

All those great features could be included in every game, but I think they don´t want to include them at thesame time, and rather prefer "region exclusive" features.

I am 99% sure the only reason the Lati are leftover in XY is because at some point during XY when they decides to develop oras they twsted out or wanted to also have soaring for Kalos, but due to tine restraints didn't. Soaring is the biggest change in gamelay yet, with the first ever way to travel cross-region with a pokemon not using an hm. While they want games to feel unique, its gonna become a staple much like Amie and Super Training.

Edit:Another thing about South France is that I really want a Greece inspired region. Giving us Marseille and Corsica could have the city or island give us hint or references to their connection with the game counterpart region,uch like the real world. Oh and the caves of montignac can connect north and south, while giving us Draconid wall murals for Zygarde lore.

Last edited:
Correction. Hoenn did have a Dex expansion, hello? Did you forget about Gallade, Roserade, and all the other Sinnoh evolutions? On top of that, after just catching Groudon or Kyogre, you can find a bunch of natdex Pokemon before the Pokemon league.

No, I'm thinking more along the lines of something like what Platinum or BW2 did with their regional dexes. Add a significant number of Pokemon in the regional dex that you can use in the main game. A lot of the older regional dexes, especially Kanto, Johto, and Hoenn's, are poorly balanced by modern standards, there's several types that are lacking Pokemon (Kanto is lacking in Dark, Steel, and Fairy, Hoenn is lacking in Ice, and all three are lacking Ghost and Dragon). Plus is 200 Pokemon really enough for a region as large as Hoenn? We see a lot of areas that don't have a whole lot of variety (the areas around Mt. Chimney, some of the late game dungeons, any Water route). For their time this was okay because there wasn't enough variety in the National Dex to begin with to fix these issues, but now with 721 Pokemon in the game there's no excuse for these kinds of issues to pop up.

South Kalos is the most tangible hint for the next games for me, more then the strange souvenir region. You cannot tell me Kiloude in the middle of a mountain range is all that consists of the laid back south kalosian culture, when you have the enter mediterranean France that wasn't used. Cannes is also a great way to reintroduce Pokestar Studios its not funny.

Yeah, well when South Kalos gives the region a huge expansion then we'll talk about whether it's comparable to Hoenn and Sinnoh, but until then, with what we can currently explore in Kalos, it's not all that big.

If you think so, fine by me. But with what we got, its almost at b2w2 region size in terms of routes and cities, which is damn high, in city count at least. If they add as much as B2W2 did to a region the size of B2W2 Unova, and going by what South France's size is the it would be quite a bit more, then yeah its gonna be bigger then Hoenn and Sinnoh. Hell, I am a bit worried despite wanting it, South Kalos as a new part of the region is more then what B2W2 had, its easily a little less them half of the current region. We might be looking at a literal case of North Kalos(the parts north of Lumiose) being post game. Which I wouldn't mind to be totally honest.

Let's be real here. Gen. 1 Kanto and Gen. 2 Tohjo are very underdeveloped. Lumiose alone dwarfs both regions. Gen. 3 Hoenn and Gen. 3 Kanto together would probably fit comfortably inside Kalos, with Gen. 4 Sinnoh and Gen. 4 Tohjo together being bigger than Kalos, and Unova probably rivaling it in size. I can't decide if Gen. 6 Hoenn is bigger than Kalos, however.

But yeah, Kalos is the biggest region if you compare all of their original incarnations side by side. And it's not because it's in 3D, it's how many "steps" each region covers, and Lumiose alone (the biggest city EVER) gives has more "steps" than most places.

Let's be real here. Gen. 1 Kanto and Gen. 2 Tohjo are very underdeveloped. Lumiose alone dwarfs both regions. Gen. 3 Hoenn and Gen. 3 Kanto together would probably fit comfortably inside Kalos, with Gen. 4 Sinnoh and Gen. 4 Tohjo together being bigger than Kalos, and Unova probably rivaling it in size. I can't decide if Gen. 6 Hoenn is bigger than Kalos, however.

But yeah, Kalos is the biggest region if you compare all of their original incarnations side by side. And it's not because it's in 3D, it's how many "steps" each region covers, and Lumiose alone (the biggest city EVER) gives has more "steps" than most places.

The camera angles are different, and therefore, may change your opinion. Also, what matters is how many "information/things to do" you cover. If they copied even Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow´s Kanto in 3D technology, it wouldn´t feel much smaller than Kalos. Cause in 3D, they need to put more space between buildings, and everything is made bigger.

Last edited:
I don't really think the size of the region matters, especially in this discussion. I mean what matters most is the amount of content that is in each game/generation. For example no one would have noticed how small the Kanto region is if they would've/could've filled it to the max with more trainers and events to complete, but at one point the developers have to make a decision rather they want just one region to be an exact copy/paste or completely filled with new content. Unfortunately we all know what they pick. Kalos was big but lacked on content just like Kanto. But I think this thread should move on in the discussion rather than speaking about past regional sizes.

I feel I should put my two cents in because I have a theory about why the games seem to add and remove features and such.

the First facet of this theory would be because of the regions themselves, as they are based on real world locations. Now think of how many cities and towns have monuments and attractions you could only see there (Mt Rushmore, The Northern Light, the Eiffel Tower,The Great Wall). While landmarks are a factor in gameplay I think part of GF's mix and match of features if based on something similar. That there are certain things you can only do in certain regions (In other words Customization really was a Kalos thing)

This is related to the other facet. Even without the RL influence it seems apparent that Game Freak would want to keep the regions unique. Keeping features like secret bases, contests and yes, even character customization is part of that. As while the roster poke available pokemon be unique it woudn't really matter to people who already completed the pokedex (okay it would matter in that case for people that are playing in the new region, but completing the national) pokedex now would still give a head start In other words; game freak doesn't think the roster distinguished the region enough)

Basically The adding and removal of features are deliberate to make the regions (and thus the games) unique.

The camera angles are different, and therefore, may change your opinion. Also, what matters is how many "information/things to do" you cover. If they copied even Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow´s Kanto in 3D technology, it wouldn´t feel much smaller than Kalos. Cause in 3D, they need to put more space between buildings, and everything is made bigger.

RGBY Kanto in 3D would be incredibly small, Saffron is the largest City there and it's not even as big as Castelia.

RGBY Kanto in 3D would be incredibly small, Saffron is the largest City there and it's not even as big as Castelia.

They're probably going to fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom