• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
But that's not the case. The reason for opening discussion on what's next with Kalos was brought up by the interviewers question on Zygarde. Masuda aptly answered that Zygarde is mostly part of the "tying up".

But that's not the case. The reason for opening discussion on what's next with Kalos was brought up by the interviewers question on Zygarde. Masuda aptly answered that Zygarde is mostly part of the "tying up".
There was no question about Zygarde specifically, but rather about a Z version. Masuda didn't mention Zygarde.

Which is not to say that I agree with Kallyle that they won't give Zygarde a boost just because it would be predictable. I do hope that in the next generation they'll make do with a version mascot duo and not bother with a legendary which feels tacked on.

A thought just occurred to me. Since XY and ORAS are going to have their own leagues anyways, why not include new Mega Evolutions that are exclusive to XY? That would be some interesting DLC to get people to buy and play XY. I doubt making customization exclusive to XY would be enough reason to get people to buy them. As we most likely won't be getting another Kalos installment either, this would be the perfect opportunity GF to add new Megas that they might have otherwise saved for the third version/sequels of that region.

Also, when do you think we"ll get AZ's Floette?

A thought just occurred to me. Since XY and ORAS are going to have their own leagues anyways, why not include new Mega Evolutions that are exclusive to XY? That would be some interesting DLC to get people to buy and play XY. I doubt making customization exclusive to XY would be enough reason to get people to buy them. As we most likely won't be getting another Kalos installment either, this would be the perfect opportunity GF to add new Megas that they might have otherwise saved for the third version/sequels of that region.
The thing is that not every XY player is going to pay for DLC, so this would lead to the same problem we're seeing with ORAS. They could release a separate (free) patch just for battle compatibility, which they should definitely do in the event of adding more Mega Evolutions. But I wouldn't take it for granted, considering that there are other ways to add content (like battle facilities) to lure competitive players. Is it really a good idea to add new Mega Evolutions every year, especially if Generation VII does the same?

And customization isn't the only thing the XY league has going for it. Transporter Pokémon can't be used in the ORAS league.

It could easily be incorporated into the expanded story; AZ could show up if only to provide insight on the Kalos trio's history and motivations. I see him entrusting Eternal Floette to the player due to his own life no longer being eternal, which he would gladly accept.

Last edited:
The thing is that not every XY player is going to pay for DLC, so this would lead to the same problem we're seeing with ORAS. They could release a separate (free) patch just for battle compatibility, which they should definitely do in the event of adding more Mega Evolutions. But I wouldn't take it for granted, considering that there are other ways to add content (like battle facilities) to lure competitive players. Is it really a good idea to add new Mega Evolutions every year, especially if Generation VII does the same?

And customization isn't the only thing the XY league has going for it. Transporter Pokémon can't be used in the ORAS league.

It could easily be incorporated into the expanded story; AZ could show up if only to provide insight on the Kalos trio's history and motivations. I see him entrusting Eternal Floette to the player due to his own life no longer being eternal, which he would gladly accept.

He lost his immortality? Wha...? Xerneas gave him immortality, but the Dex doesn't say anything about it having the power to take eternal life away...

He lost his immortality? Wha...? Xerneas gave him immortality, but the Dex doesn't say anything about it having the power to take eternal life away...
I never mentioned Xerneas. I think that Zygarde could take it away as an act of balance, especially since that's what AZ really wants (assuming that he is at all human).

I never mentioned Xerneas. I think that Zygarde could take it away as an act of balance, especially since that's what AZ really wants (assuming that he is at all human).

Well, if Zygarde has taken away AZ's immortality, it didn't happen on-screen, but I agree that he'd be the likely suspect of reversing eternal life. But considering he just got back together with Floette, I highly doubt he'd want to die so soon...

I kind of see where you're getting at, but weren't Transporter Pokémon banned from official XY competitions as well? If so, then that would mean only customization is the only thing promoting XY competitions. This was why I wanted to patch XY exclusive Mega Evolutions. Has something changed that now allows transferred Pokémon to be used?

Wait, are you saying Zygarde strips AZ of his immortality!? Also, why would AZ be okay with it if it meant dying shortly after, never getting to be with his friend again? I find it more likely that he entrusts the player with his Floette due to the fact that, by the time the player dies in universe, he'll still be around to catch us with his old friend. He's waited about 3000 years to see his old firend, so I'm sure that waiting 100 or so years wouldn't phase him all that much.

I kind of see where you're getting at, but weren't Transporter Pokémon banned from official XY competitions as well?
For VGC, but not for rating battles. Most people care about the latter.

Wait, are you saying Zygarde strips AZ of his immortality!?
I'm saying it should do that. There is nothing natural about immortality and AZ's energy would be better spent on other creatures. What AZ did 3000 years ago was incredibly selfish; immortality was his punishment if anything.

Also, why would AZ be okay with it if it meant dying shortly after, never getting to be with his friend again?
AZ has been with Floette for the past year or so. That's more than he could have wished for.

I find it more likely that he entrusts the player with his Floette due to the fact that, by the time the player dies in universe, he'll still be around to catch us with his old friend. He's waited about 3000 years to see his old firend, so I'm sure that waiting 100 or so years wouldn't phase him all that much.
What's the point, really? All that matters is that he's been forgiven, and perhaps he can actually redeem himself in the expanded story (he never did in XY). I don't see why he needs to spend more time with Floette.

From what Masuda explained, he most likely saying that everything you know about Pokemon versions will soon end, meaning that versions will no longer be confined to their generations thanks to the Pokebank. That and the next game may no longer take place in Kalos, but it will expand upon the previous myth; meaning the stories between generations might intertwine and expand with each other.

From what Masuda explained, he most likely saying that everything you know about Pokemon versions will soon end, meaning that versions will no longer be confined to their generations thanks to the Pokebank. That and the next game may no longer take place in Kalos, but it will expand upon the previous myth; meaning the stories between generations might intertwine and expand with each other.

As unlikely as it sounds, that might actually be kind of cool! However, if they do that too much, then it might give the impression of the new regions lacking their own identity. It depends on how GF will handle this whether or not your suggestion would benefit the regions, both past, present, and future.

Since I got into it in an unrelated thread, might as well post it here too: some people tried to argue against the DLC expansion to XY by saying it could mess things up if the XY game card was played on a 3DS system without the expansion. What if said expansion wasn't really tied into the game itself but a separate app like the ORAS demo? and like the demo, it'd allow us to transfer pkmn/items to the XY game. (maybe even have a link thing done at the beginning of playing it, so it copies the player's avatar/name/ID so it really does feel like you're still playing your XY game, and any transferred pkmn would really count as pkmn you caught yourself)

Since I got into it in an unrelated thread, might as well post it here too: some people tried to argue against the DLC expansion to XY by saying it could mess things up if the XY game card was played on a 3DS system without the expansion. What if said expansion wasn't really tied into the game itself but a separate app like the ORAS demo? and like the demo, it'd allow us to transfer pkmn/items to the XY game. (maybe even have a link thing done at the beginning of playing it, so it copies the player's avatar/name/ID so it really does feel like you're still playing your XY game, and any transferred pkmn would really count as pkmn you caught yourself)
They could do that, but it wouldn't be hard to simply disable saving in any new areas, or make it so that the game would teleport the player to a pre-existing area (like Lumiose City) if the patch were removed. I explained how Zygarde could be handled in a previous post.

A separate app would be more justified if they wanted to do something for both XY and ORAS, such as the Battle Frontier.

Last edited:
So when should we expect the next game to be announced?

Now that we know about Episode Delta, I'd say that XY's DLC could very well be called Episode Z and work in a similar vein. Granted, Episode Delta is available via normal gameplay (nothing indicates otherwise), but it still shows how a new story focusing on a "mascot" Pokémon doesn't require its own game.

Deoxys is the threat Rayquaza deals with in Episode Delta. What if Episode Z were about Zygarde stopping Volcanion from being used as a weapon by Malva? Volcanion could be DLC-exclusive rather than being relegated to yet another movie promotion.

Now that we know about Episode Delta, I'd say that XY's DLC could very well be called Episode Z and work in a similar vein. Granted, Episode Delta is available via normal gameplay (nothing indicates otherwise), but it still shows how a new story focusing on a "mascot" Pokémon doesn't require its own game.

Deoxys is the threat Rayquaza deals with in Episode Delta. What if Episode Z were about Zygarde stopping Volcanion from being used as a weapon by Malva? Volcanion could be DLC-exclusive rather than being relegated to yet another movie promotion.

That would be amazing.

Yes. Please, just yes. I'd love if they started doing stuff like this with an event legendary in all games. For example, a potential Red/Green remake or sequel could feature Mew and Mewtwo.

(Also, Episode Z would probably allow you to get Eternal Floette)

For example, a potential Red/Green remake or sequel could feature Mew and Mewtwo.

Just fixing that for you. I do not want to see a remake of a remake (for a Pokemon game at least) until I'm 50.

But yeah, this 'episode' does open the door just a fraction for things like this. There are a number of subplots in Pokemon that get stifled behind all the brouhaha of the main legendaries, or because Pokemon's gameplay doesn't lend itself well to story. Most prominent is the whole Mew-Mewtwo subplot which hasn't had anywhere near enough air after four visits to Kanto. (Although please retcon Guyana. It's so weird having real life locations in Pokemon.)

The other game that really wants episodes is Sinnoh. This is because of how damn big the games were as well as how they have a million legendaries. Darkrai/Cresselia definitely wants some love. Darkrai could lose its event status like Deoxys, some lore could be pumped into the whole half moon/full moon theme and the plot with the boy in Canalave expanded. The post-game thing with Heatran already is an 'episode' really.

I'd love for this to happen, especially if we got Eternal Floette from AZ. The only problem though is this: what if the player already caught Zygarde? Would it just burst out of the PC? If so, would you have to re-catch it, or would it just attempt to swap out one of your party members to warn you about the oncoming danger?

Of course, none of that would be an issue for those whom haven't caught Zygarde already, I'm just curious as to what would happen for current Zygarde holders.

what if the player already caught Zygarde? Would it just burst out of the PC? If so, would you have to re-catch it, or would it just attempt to swap out one of your party members to warn you about the oncoming danger?

Of course, none of that would be an issue for those whom haven't caught Zygarde already, I'm just curious as to what would happen for current Zygarde holders.
The Delta Episode seems to require the player to catch Rayquaza before the final showdown with Deoxys can take place, so there should be no problem with the player already having Zygarde. You would have to use it to unlock its special event.

The only players who would have a problem are those that have traded Zygarde, but they brought that on themselves. There might be a Zygarde distribution to avoid any unpleasantness, but I don't think it would make sense for a second Zygarde to show up in-game.

From here:
http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f724/battle-frontier-167039/

I will answer of what could happen after the release of OR/AS here.

I seriously doubt that Gen VII will be released before Autumn 2016, specially because the current's anime pace and the fact that a new gen game requires a lot of time from Game Freak.

Between now and the release of the new gen, I see GF releasing two "releases":

-1) Very very likely. A DLC bonus that includes the Battle Frontier, among other events. it could include other events like Gym Battle Rematches and/or PWT, among others. I expect being released int he upcoming months.

-2) Relatively likely. A XY re-release with some changes. Release between Autumn 2015 or Spring 2016. You can download the DLC (that will have his own price), download the entire new game (at standard price) or buy it from physical stores.

The game would be basically replaying the majority of XY but with having a lot more content. It's possible that to replay with the "new version" of XY you have to "reset" the game (possibility of a second file?).

The game is expected to have:
-All the OR/AS exclusive content (Mega Pokemon/Mega Stones/Primals/...).
-A part of the storyline related to Zygarde and it's possible formes.
-Even more new Megas.
-More postgame content than the one XY had (which was very little). Among this, I could see: PWT, Gym Leader rematches, a mini-story, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom